Fighting Illini Forums

Fighting Illini Forums (http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/index.php)
-   Fighting Illini Football (http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Updated Big Ten division alignment coming soon (http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=19211)

Dan Jan 3, 2013 08:25 AM

Updated Big Ten division alignment coming soon
 
Quote:

B1G division alignment coming (fairly) soon

"I would hope we would have divisions and conference schedules for '14 later this spring," Delany said

Rittenberg

Dan Jan 4, 2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Chi Trib learns B1G interested in putting #Northwestern in East. Cats want to stay West w/rivals #Illini, Iowa, Wis, Neb. Better 4 fans.

http://twitter.com/TeddyGreenstein

Dan Jan 4, 2013 11:46 AM

Here were the suggestions from the Big Ten's Dec 13th fan survey-

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/i/n/b...s-survey-1.jpg

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/i/n/b...s-survey-2.jpg

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/i/n/b...s-survey-3.jpg

Groundhogday Jan 4, 2013 11:54 AM

So it sounds like we might move to this alignment:

East: Rutgers, Maryland, PSU, tOSU, Michigan, MSU, Northwestern
West: PU, IU, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minny, UNL

The league doesn't want permanent cross-divisional rivalries because there aren't enough cross-division games as it is. Illinois vs. Northwestern is clearly the weakest rivalry game in the league, so that is the one to end. Personally I don't mind. And I really don't mind seeing NW play in the tougher division.

Dan Jan 4, 2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

I should mention that even tho B1G interested in moving #Northwestern east, Cats officials resisting & think they will stay West.

http://twitter.com/TeddyGreenstein

Oskee Mayer Jan 4, 2013 12:24 PM

All 20 fans have voiced their opinions. 1 through his megaphone, repeatedly.

jackman404 Jan 4, 2013 12:33 PM

Protecting the Purdue-IU rivalry is much more important than protecting the Illinois-Northwestern rivalry. I wouldn't mind not playing them.

Groundhogday Jan 4, 2013 01:22 PM

Basically, NW has such a weak fan base that it doesn't really matter one way or another where they end up.

Ilovetheillini Jan 4, 2013 01:29 PM

I like our division!!!

illinicb Jan 4, 2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhogday (Post 671193)
Basically, NW has such a weak fan base that it doesn't really matter one way or another where they end up.

That was my response as well. They only draw when the opponents buy tickets. They idea that their fan base is worried about travel is laughable. They can't make it to Evanston, so why would they worry about traveling to Penn State or Maryland?

AHSIllini32 Jan 4, 2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhogday (Post 671151)
So it sounds like we might move to this alignment:

East: Rutgers, Maryland, PSU, tOSU, Michigan, MSU, Northwestern
West: PU, IU, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minny, UNL

The league doesn't want permanent cross-divisional rivalries because there aren't enough cross-division games as it is. Illinois vs. Northwestern is clearly the weakest rivalry game in the league, so that is the one to end. Personally I don't mind. And I really don't mind seeing NW play in the tougher division.

That would be fantastic for illinois.

DrewD007 Jan 4, 2013 01:44 PM

Made the map for Northwestern in the East...

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/2...wdivisions.jpg

Groundhogday Jan 4, 2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewD007 (Post 671210)
Made the map for Northwestern in the East...

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/2...wdivisions.jpg

Contiguous, largely geographic divisions. I like it. And I also like being in the same division with IU, PU and Minny.

quhawks12 Jan 4, 2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhogday (Post 671212)
Contiguous, largely geographic divisions. I like it. And I also like being in the same division with IU, PU and Minny.

That would be huge.

Warriors1994 Jan 4, 2013 02:54 PM

This would be great for Illinois lets hope it goes through

AngryOrange Jan 4, 2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhogday (Post 671212)
Contiguous, largely geographic divisions. I like it. And I also like being in the same division with IU, PU and Minny.

One thing I don't like about it, with NW in the East, the major population and recruiting centers are all in the other division. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I don't like the fact that we would visit the other division less frequently and miss the major recruiting beds. YMMV.

Groundhogday Jan 4, 2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryOrange (Post 671251)
One thing I don't like about it, with NW in the East, the major population and recruiting centers are all in the other division. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I don't like the fact that we would visit the other division less frequently and miss the major recruiting beds. YMMV.

They used to think the same thing about the original SEC east and west divisions.

One additional thought: Illinois has stronger ties to Chicago than Northwestern. Wisconsin, Iowa and Nebraska all recruit Chicago. I don't think playing in an empty stadium at Northwestern once a year really helps anyone recruit that city.

GilThorpe Jan 4, 2013 03:03 PM

has there been any acknowledgment of the need for not just the B1G, but the SEC as well to follow suit with the PAC and have 9 league games.

playing just 2 teams from the other division means you can wait 6 or 8 years to play a cross division team. Thats ridiculous. I dont like the alternating 4&5 home game thing either, but going 8 years without playing a fellow conference team seems nuts

BWBW Jan 4, 2013 04:00 PM

A Northwest - Southeast split would have Northwestern with the two schools in MI, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and Nebraska.

We would be with the two schools in IN, OSU, PSU, Maryland, and Rutgers.

Groundhogday Jan 4, 2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GilThorpe (Post 671256)
has there been any acknowledgment of the need for not just the B1G, but the SEC as well to follow suit with the PAC and have 9 league games.

playing just 2 teams from the other division means you can wait 6 or 8 years to play a cross division team. Thats ridiculous. I dont like the alternating 4&5 home game thing either, but going 8 years without playing a fellow conference team seems nuts

It has been pretty much a given that we will go to 9 games, right? I don't know that we would wait for the Pac12 or SEC to follow suit. With 9 games, we would play 3 of the 7 cross division teams every year, so play every cross-division team almost every other year.

Ander1345 Jan 4, 2013 04:24 PM

What about a dividing line that starts just west of Mich ST and divides Purdue and Indiana?

Groundhogday Jan 4, 2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ander1345 (Post 671294)
What about a dividing line that starts just west of Mich ST and divides Purdue and Indiana?

The problem is that Purdue and Indiana have a long and contentious rivalry. Most of it is just basketball spillover, but it is much more serious rivalry game in football than Illinois vs. Northwestern.

twincityillini Jan 4, 2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhogday (Post 671193)
Basically, NW has such a weak fan base that it doesn't really matter one way or another where they end up.

Agreed. IMO, they'll most likely keep making bowl games no matter where they end up and regardless of their weak fan base. So in the end it shouldn't really matter to them. :frustrated:

GilThorpe Jan 4, 2013 04:44 PM

the PAC already plays 9 league games, hence why they backed out of the arrangement to have a PAC-BIG "series" of all teams in each league rotating through each others conference. it would have given them 10 BCS games , in an era where the SEC and the B1G are getting fat with cupcakes.

By going to 14 teams, I just cant see how the B1G or the SEC can not go to 9 league games. as of now, I know of nothing that says this is happening in either conference.

Schlepper Jan 5, 2013 05:39 PM

They may go to 10 league games since the Pac 12 thing didn't work out. Would also make for even numbers of home and road games which is important to coaches and ADs.
ND games may get lost in the shuffle.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2017 IllinoisLoyalty.com All Rights Reserved. This website is not affiliated with any school or team.