Fighting Illini Forums

Fighting Illini Forums (http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/index.php)
-   General Sports Talk (http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   2011-12 NBA Thread (http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=17171)

Capt Slammie Sep 20, 2011 07:47 PM

2011-12 NBA Thread
 
I watched lots of Ricky Rubio vids, and the guy amazes me like Pistol Pete in the early to mid 70's. I loved listening to the Atlanta Hawks broadcasts on my transistor radio in the early 70's b/c I love flash and fun, and Pete epitomized those traits.

I'm boldly predicting that Ricky Rubio is the 2nd Coming of Pistol Pete Maravich.

That said, PPM had a nice run in the NBA, but wasn't on a winner, and stats and effectiveness were so-so. Flash players, oftentimes, have tons of turnovers, and maybe RR will have that problem. Magic didn't, but will RR? I don't know, but he will be fun to keep an eye on and watch his NBA game develop (that is, if the NBA has a season!!).

Does anyone out there have a good, educated "take" on this guy? Seriously, after watching his vids I became a believer, but, highlight films can fool even the best evaluator.

TucsonIllini Dec 9, 2011 08:44 AM

2011-12 Chicago Bulls & NBA Thread
 
Quote:

Dwight Howard is preparing to ask the Orlando Magic to trade him to the New Jersey Nets, according to sources close to the situation.

Howard's representatives have told the Nets that they are his preferred destination.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/73...ts-sources-say
What an interesting week in sports. And after last night's canceled trade among New Orleans, Houston, and LA, a Hornet's fan commented in anger with Chris Paul, "I hope we get a good deal in return soon, and I hope that CP ends up playing backup to Deron Williams in NJ." :)

Irish Dec 9, 2011 08:53 AM

This is why I have zero interest in the NBA. The players control the league and can dictate not only a trade, but where they want to go to. Its ridiculous.

illynifan34 Dec 9, 2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish (Post 497828)
This is why I have zero interest in the NBA. The players control the league and can dictate not only a trade, but where they want to go to. Its ridiculous.

Are you paying attention to what happened last night? Chris Paul wanted out, a trade was going to happen and the league shot it down, doesn't sound like the player in this situation was able to control anything.

IlliniRunIn07 Dec 9, 2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish (Post 497828)
This is why I have zero interest in the NBA. The players control the league and can dictate not only a trade, but where they want to go to. Its ridiculous.

That's exactly what the NCAA does. The players literally pick where they want to go. Sometimes the best players team up. I have never understood why that bothers people about the NBA, unless their team is the one getting shafted (Cleveland). I'd rather have the players picking where they want to go (because they'll likely enjoy playing in their new destinations more, and happy players = better league IMO), than an owner/GM making trades purely for financial gain. And that being said, players rarely pick where they want to go. I can think of Carmelo, and that's about it.

I also see people commenting on NBA stories on the ESPN articles all the time with comments like "I have no interest in the NBA." Now, I'm not one that's going to tell you where to post. But if you have no interest, why tell us? My counter argument to your lack of interest is that I have no interest in the fact that you have no interest in the NBA.

Anyway, rant over. I'm hyped for the season. I realize the NBA is not everyone's cup of tea, but I love it. A lot of storylines this season. I'm hoping the Bulls can take the next step, with or without a new SG.

Irish Dec 9, 2011 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illynifan34 (Post 497834)
Are you paying attention to what happened last night? Chris Paul wanted out, a trade was going to happen and the league shot it down, doesn't sound like the player in this situation was able to control anything.

I'd be willing to bet by the start of next season at the latest Chris Paul will either be on the Lakers or the Knicks.

Irish Dec 9, 2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IlliniRunIn07 (Post 497836)
That's exactly what the NCAA does. The players literally pick where they want to go. Sometimes the best players team up. I have never understood why that bothers people about the NBA, unless their team is the one getting shafted (Cleveland). I'd rather have the players picking where they want to go (because they'll likely enjoy playing in their new destinations more, and happy players = better league IMO), than an owner/GM making trades purely for financial gain. And that being said, players rarely pick where they want to go. I can think of Carmelo, and that's about it.

I also see people commenting on NBA stories on the ESPN articles all the time with comments like "I have no interest in the NBA." Now, I'm not one that's going to tell you where to post. But if you have no interest, why tell us? My counter argument to your lack of interest is that I have no interest in the fact that you have no interest in the NBA.

Anyway, rant over. I'm hyped for the season. I realize the NBA is not everyone's cup of tea, but I love it. A lot of storylines this season. I'm hoping the Bulls can take the next step, with or without a new SG.

The NCAA and the NBA are on completely opposite ends of spectrum. In the NCAA, tournament teams like Butler succeed frequently, in the NBA its impossible for an 8 seed to win a championship.

IlliniRunIn07 Dec 9, 2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish (Post 497863)
The NCAA and the NBA are on completely opposite ends of spectrum. In the NCAA, tournament teams like Butler succeed frequently, in the NBA its impossible for an 8 seed to win a championship.

If that's the analogy you're going to make, I've never seen a 16 seed win an NCAA title. I've never seen them win one game, in fact. An 8 seed is the lowest seed to win IIRC. If anything, the NCAA is more unfair. You have guys that have absolutely no problem breaking rules. That really limits what honest coaches are able to do.

IlliniKat91 Dec 9, 2011 04:41 PM

Chicago Bulls Invite Luther Head to Work Out
 
Apparently Luther Head is being considered as a replacement for Keith Bogans. Who knows how this will pan out, but it would be pretty awesome to watch Luther again on a regular basis. IT's only a quick blurb at the end, but still cool to hear.

Chicago Bulls First Practice

HeartofaChampion Dec 9, 2011 04:45 PM

Go Luther! Would love to see him play for his hometown Bulls!

IlliniRunIn07 Dec 9, 2011 07:09 PM

Also, I thought I saw Shaun Pruitt on the T-Wolves roster. Too lazy to find a source now, but take my word on that.

Edit: here's a source. Not a great one.

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2011...nvites-2011-12

TucsonIllini Dec 10, 2011 05:37 PM

Howard requested trade from Magic to Nets
 
Quote:

Los Angeles had long been a preferred choice of Howard’s, but sources say that several factors have pushed him toward the Nets over the Lakers. Howard has a strong relationship with Deron Williams, and has also resisted following the same career path as Shaquille O’Neal, who left the Magic for the Lakers two decades ago.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...ic_nets_121011
To Bulls fans, would you want to see the Bulls make an offer for Howard regardless of his initial preferences? I wouldn't mind seeing him with the Bulls though they have a good thing going as it is. And I grew up a Lakers fan but would rather see Deron have someone to pair up with.

IlliniKat91 Dec 10, 2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groundworkglobal (Post 498830)
To Bulls fans, would you want to see the Bulls make an offer for Howard regardless of his initial preferences? I wouldn't mind seeing him with the Bulls though they have a good thing going as it is. And I grew up a Lakers fan but would rather see Deron have someone to pair up with.

Eh... part of me really wants to see Howard in a Bulls uniform for the "wow" factor. But I don't NEED to see him in one. I'd rather know we have a great 2 guard. We have a decent bunch of big men.

Now if only Boozer could get his act together...

HeartofaChampion Dec 11, 2011 12:10 AM

Howard and DWill together = an NBA title someday for the Nets.

illinifan31 Dec 13, 2011 06:03 PM

Apparently Mike Tisdale is on the training camp roster for the Philadelphia 76ers. http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/train...er_111209.html

TucsonIllini Dec 16, 2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion (Post 498972)
Howard and DWill together = an NBA title someday for the Nets.

I like the sound of that :)

TucsonIllini Dec 16, 2011 10:54 AM

To those on twitter, this is a great list of NBA writers to follow:

http://www.complex.com/sports/2011/1...ers-on-twitter

Moneybreaks Dec 19, 2011 03:38 PM

Tisdale gets picked up by the 76ers
 
http://www.sj-r.com/sports/x12705660...adelphia-76ers

Quote:

The Philadelphia 76ers now have two players from Sangamon County on their roster.

Riverton High School graduate Mike Tisdale, a former University of Illinois center, was signed Friday to the 76ersí 15-man training camp roster. He joins Sixers star Andre Iguodala, a Lanphier graduate entering his eighth year in the NBA.

IlliniKat91 Dec 19, 2011 03:41 PM

Congrats, Mike! Great to see him playing in the NBA, even if it is a short season. Here's hoping he makes the most of it!

What a Christmas gift, huh?

Illini70math Dec 19, 2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moneybreaks (Post 502529)

Go Big Noodler! Whatever else one may say, Tiz is a spectacular outside shooter. He could potentially play a valuable specialist role with the right team. If you don't guard him well on the pick an pop, he could be very useful with the right teammates.

fish48 Dec 19, 2011 04:00 PM

Not trying to be negative, just being honest. Tisdale is not fast or quick enough to play consistently in the NBA. He might float around rosters because teams are attracted to his size and shooting ability. He isn't fast enough to rotate on defense and definately can't get back on the break. Good luck to him, but it probably won't work out.

Chilliniwek Dec 19, 2011 04:21 PM

There are a lot of big, slow guys who've done pretty well in the NBA. Let's hope Mike proves you incorrect.

MTILLINOIS Dec 19, 2011 05:03 PM

Good luck to Tizzy!

ChicagoJoe Dec 19, 2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

If you don't guard him well on the pick an pop, he could be very useful with the right teammates.
The problem is more who Tisdale guards.

NV Illini 74 Dec 19, 2011 05:16 PM

Congrats, Tizzy, and good luck!

I will try to watch the 6-ers to catch you play.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2014 IllinoisLoyalty.com All Rights Reserved. This website is not affiliated with any school or team.