Fighting Illini Forums

Fighting Illini Forums (http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/index.php)
-   Fighting Illini Basketball (http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Meyers Leonard's NBA Draft Stock (http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=17193)

AK Illini Mar 15, 2012 10:55 AM

he's gone guys

Chris Yates Mar 15, 2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdonsbach (Post 541018)
Did anyone catch the season finale of the Journey on BTN? Bailey, Meyer's brother, doesn't think he is truly ready for the NBA. He mentioned that their mom has lived with her pain for this long that one more year isn't that big of a deal. Here is to Meyer's listening to big bro!

Although the entire hour-long season finale of The Journey was spectacular, the storyline about Meyers was especially poignant. When his brother surprised him by showing up at the shoot-around before the Michigan game, the emotion from Meyers even caused my eyes to well up. It's clear that his brother is a HUGE influence in his life, and it's also clear that his brother really wants him to stay in school for at least another year. But it's also clear that the family has dealt with grinding poverty since the premature death of his father. Most of us can't even begin the imagine the suffering his family has endured. It would be entirely natural for him to take a big contract as soon as possible to take care of his mother.

zpfled Mar 15, 2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK Illini (Post 541157)
he's gone guys

You're gone.

mdonsbach Mar 15, 2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Yates (Post 541159)
Although the entire hour-long season finale of The Journey was spectacular, the storyline about Meyers was especially poignant. When his brother surprised him by showing up at the shoot-around before the Michigan game, the emotion from Meyers even caused my eyes to well up. It's clear that his brother is a HUGE influence in his life, and it's also clear that his brother really wants him to stay in school for at least another year. But it's also clear that the family has dealt with grinding poverty since the premature death of his father. Most of us can't even begin the imagine the suffering his family has endured. It would be entirely natural for him to take a big contract as soon as possible to take care of his mother.

I definately don't blame him for going early. I think his brother is trying to take the emotion out of the decision and try to look at where he is as a basektball player and not just as a son, brother, provider etc.

Dan Mar 19, 2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Illini's Leonard, Paul test NBA draft waters

Illinois sophomore center Meyers Leonard and junior guard Brandon Paul have submitted their names to the NBA’s undergraduate advisory committee to receive feedback on their draft stock, according to Illinois interim head coach Jerrance Howard.

Howard said the players would hear back from the committee sometime this week. College players have until April 8 to decide whether to enter the draft or remain in school.

Howard believes Leonard could leave Illinois early for the NBA, but it's unlikely for Paul.

Scott Powers

Waam Mar 19, 2012 10:21 AM

Just waiting to see how much I get back in taxes is tough enough. This young man can't be expected to stay just because we want Illinois to win big. If he needs to go, he should go. Thank you for choosing Illinois Myers! If you would stay one more year, awesome, if not, we totally are grateful for what you have already put in, and good luck!

4LaCosaNostra Mar 19, 2012 10:24 AM

Thanks Dan, I have said from the beginning; only way he does not go pro is if he decideds like J.sullinger did and not even submit his name into the draft and just come out and say he is coming back no matter what..I said if he goes through the nba draft process/evaluation he is gone for sure. He will measure out to high on all levels(size, speed, atheletic ability, and even shooting range which he has some) and will be told he will be a mid first rounder at worse. No way he is back, inless he gets hurt maybe in pre-draft workouts or something.. good luck to him.. BP needs to just realize he needs to learn A LOT and is not ready for the league at all yet. He will, and he will be back most certainly

blmillini Mar 19, 2012 10:34 AM

I don't think Paul has any chance of getting drafted and while I would not blame Leonard for taking the money, for his long-term career I think it would be a mistake to declare before knowing who the next coach will be. If we get a coach that can develop him further, staying is his best option for long-term. At this point Leonard isn't ready and won't make it without some serious improvement.

4LaCosaNostra Mar 19, 2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blmillini (Post 543049)
I don't think Paul has any chance of getting drafted and while I would not blame Leonard for taking the money, for his long-term career I think it would be a mistake to declare before knowing who the next coach will be. If we get a coach that can develop him further, staying is his best option for long-term. At this point Leonard isn't ready and won't make it without some serious improvement.

Develop him further? He will have no class no distractions in the nba with private pro's helping his game.. Most likely a former big man in the league working with him daily on footwork, positioning, and shooting..

him staying he could develop from a mental standpoint and IQ I guess and mature more.. but false to think college helps develop more then the pros. playing time, of course he would get more in college, but he will get one on one work that he can not get in college

Orangetool Mar 19, 2012 10:42 AM

Brandon Paul will never play a minute in the NBA.

Dan Mar 19, 2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

#Illini Meyers Leonard & Brandon Paul have not declared for NBA Draft. They submitted their names for undergrad. advisory committee feedback

http://twitter.com/IlliniHoops

joekam Mar 19, 2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Illini's Leonard, Paul test NBA draft waters

Howard believes Leonard could leave Illinois early for the NBA, but it's unlikely for Paul.

Scott Powers
I love Coach Howard, but for the people hating on Weber for his public "honesty", its not just Weber.

Meyers needs to do what is best for the Leonards. I think most people here agree that we would love to see him back, but can't blame him if he leaves.

Holdemall Mar 19, 2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

I love Coach Howard, but for the people hating on Weber for his public "honesty", its not just Weber.
I don't see Howard's comment as at all hurtful, just a reflection of reality.

finalfour2011 Mar 19, 2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetool (Post 543059)
Brandon Paul will never play a minute in the NBA.

Where I would agree that he isn't likely to make the pros at this point I would like to reserve opinion until I see him play as a senior with a new coach and new system. He obviously needs to learn to stop making ill-advised passes, become a more consistent jump shooter and take better shots but his speed and athleticism are good and he has good hops. I think he could be taught to play better defense but as of now, not good enough overall . I think the one thing I would worry about most with BP is overall BBall IQ. He makes great plays but also the occasional really dumb play.

bigballinman Mar 19, 2012 12:13 PM

I believe Leonard is gone as he should be. Every second i sit back and think come back for one more year i ask myself what would i do if i was in his shoes. Lets face it sports fans its hard for a teenage kid to say no to millions if offered to them even if they feel like there not ready for the jump to the nba its hard to say no to the money.Most of these kids dream is to play in the nba not a college degree so it kills me to hear some say stay in school i mean thats why kids go college in the first place to put themselves in a better position to make money. But you will not find a job with a college degree that can compare to the money that they can make in the nba and hey if things dont workout in the nba they can always go back and get a college degree. It seems weird because being an illini fan im not used to this because its been a while since we had someone skilled enough to make this jump this soon. Now i know how the likes of the kentucky and the north carolina and etc. Fans feel. But we will move on. Now lets go get smart.

OrangeKrush Mar 19, 2012 12:20 PM

We're going through a coaching change and Meyers' draft stock is high at this point. I would leave if I were him. If we had a legit chance at a championship next season, that's a different story.

ill07 Mar 19, 2012 02:42 PM

If Brandon Paul declares, he's as delusional as DeShawn Sims and Corperryale L'Adorable "Manny" Harris (god that doesn't get old) were.

chief9 Mar 19, 2012 04:15 PM

uh DeShawn Sims was a senior, what else did you want him to do?

Not everyone gets 10 years in college like Luke Recker.

ill07 Mar 19, 2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chief9 (Post 543386)
uh DeShawn Sims was a senior, what else did you want him to do?

Not everyone gets 10 years in college like Luke Recker.

He never had a shot at getting drafted, but fine. We'll stick L'Adorable Harris if you prefer.

gibb52 Mar 19, 2012 07:29 PM

BP is requesting an evaluation of his game from NBA people, which is good. He'll be told how much he needs to improve to get on the NBA draft radar. Him and his parents will get a jolt of reality. BP has NBA level athletic skills, he needs drastic improvement in handling passing and shooting.

FinalFour88 Mar 19, 2012 07:53 PM

I haven't even considered Leonard coming back. In my mind, he's already left, especially with Weber being fired (Leonard seems to really like BW). I'm expecting big things out of Egwu the next three years.

UofIChE06 Mar 19, 2012 07:54 PM

Kind of surprised DJ isn't doing the same thing. It makes sense for all Jrs to do this. Best way to get a feel for where you are and what you need to do. Since they only get one time during their collegiate career doing it as a Jr makes all the sense in the world.

NV Illini 74 Mar 19, 2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibb52 (Post 543480)
BP is requesting an evaluation of his game from NBA people, which is good. He'll be told how much he needs to improve to get on the NBA draft radar. Him and his parents will get a jolt of reality. BP has NBA level athletic skills, he needs drastic improvement in handling passing and shooting.

I hope they tell him to feed the post.

plooger Mar 19, 2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finalfour2011 (Post 543116)
I think the one thing I would worry about most with BP is overall BBall IQ. He makes great plays but also the occasional really dumb play.

BP seems to me to be about where Luther Head was... as a freshman -- at least offensively. (Do have to credit him for having shown good defensive skill.) Athletic and capable of scoring, but generally a go-it-alone guy, rather than scoring within the system/offense. And he still hasn't mastered finishing at the hoop.

Harry Blackwell Mar 19, 2012 08:56 PM

These two have unfinished business at IL, and they should really look at it that way. Nothing wrong with testing the waters, but just remember jeremy richmond was posited as a first round pick, McAmey was posited as a draftee, and neither of them are in the NBA, nor were they drafted.

Both will be NBA material, but both would benefit from one more year.
Who knows, with the right coach they may with their first 16 and their last 16 games. Even if they have end next year with the same record, but not the horrible slide, they will feel better about their college basketball career.

This is coming from someone who who has gone through a similar non-athletic career decision. There is no doubt in my mind that slow and steady wins the race. Better to be ready and a #1 or #2 OVERALL pick (Myers) than undrafted. Ignore the injury possiblities, the odds are very low below 1% that an injury will be career ending or take up a significant amount of the year. Yes, that is a real stat.