IllinoisLoyalty.com Forums > Thread: Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

View Single Post
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:21 AM   #10
Madturkillini
For me one thing is for sure. It will hurt to see the Top 3 Illinois kids from 2014 class:
KBD in Ohio State jersey
Okafor in Kentucky jersey
CA in MichState jersey

I think Groce made a good start, not spectacular, in terms of recruiting. I know Illinois basketball program has been down lately, but look at Ohio State program when Matta took over, or Indiana program when Crean took over, and think how fast these guys were able to recruit final 4 talent? THEY didn't need to win first to attract 5* studs, but we do. I still have faith in Groce, but I admit he is not as good a recruiter as some other coaches out there.

As far as programs go, I think the coach is more important than the school. Calipari will bring in 5* talent wherever he goes. Ohio State was not a great basketball program before Matta came, but they instantly became one. If Groce was as good a recruiter as some of us believe, he would have shown that in Ohio even. A great recruiter would be able to land some 4* talent to Ohio, and some 5* talent to Illinois.

Having said that, he will do fine though in long term, I believe. If I was a great player, I would love to play for a coach like Groce because he really sounds like a hardworking, honest man, who will strive to help his players develop. But in today's world 5* recruits are just looking for the right person who will inject them to NBA in 1 season, and apparently they don't see Groce as one, including KBD.
IllinoisLoyalty.com Forums