IllinoisLoyalty.com Forums > Thread: Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January-March 2017)

View Single Post
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:03 AM   #66
CAHALL15
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsmokyc View Post
I am asking this question from a place of major ignorance, so please let me know what I am missing. Trying to learn, not criticize. I haven't seen either player actually play.

Why was Groce (and the board, generally) ok with pulling out of the Paul Scruggs recruitment after landing Trent Frazier, yet we are going back after Mark Smith, who appears to be a similar player (big, athletic PG)?

Are they actually very different players?

Is it a "protecting the home state" type thing?

Has the recruiting scene changed enough since then (Goodwin going to SLU, Wilkes going to UCLA, other PF/C recruits going elsewhere) to make a major difference?
The consensus prior to this high school season started was that Scruggs was a more consistent Damonte. Damonte seemed as good as ever before he got hurt. Getting Trent definitely made Scruggs less of a priority as well.

Additionally, Scruggs wasn't much of a shooter and is smaller than Smith. Smith could play the 1 and 2 and possibly the 3. Smith has shown to be a solid shooter thus far and his upside is off the charts as he hasn't concentrated solely on basketball until the last few months.

I'm sure protecting this state does play a part as does the uncertainty of the recovery of Damonte. Furthermore, it's unclear how much of a shot we really had with Scruggs.
IllinoisLoyalty.com Forums