Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January-March 2017)

Closed Thread

Old Jan 7, 2017, 08:37 AM   #226
westcoastillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketherevelator View Post
ESL lost 87-63 to #25 nationally ranked Hamilton Heights Christian (TN). Haven't seen any stats.
http://www.flohoops.com/result/9312-...s#.WHD0w31gIqK
If you go down this guy's twitter timeline, there are several JT slams on it.
https://twitter.com/BryanFenley
JT had 17 and 8.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2017/1/6...eights-To.aspx
Old Jan 7, 2017, 09:50 AM   #227
Dan
Admin
Spoke with B-West sophomore E.J. Liddell after blowout win over Alton tonight. He seems to be leaning toward Illinois. Had 27 points, 8 blks
https://twitter.com/overbey13/status/817613330886094848

Wellington (FL) G Trent Frazier (@_Trentfrazier1) scores a game-high 34 PTS in a win over Calusa Prep @WellyHSBBall
http://www.prepcircuit.com/game/show...bseason=336137

See what @Mark_Smith_13 said about the @ehstigershoops win Friday over @OTHSBoysHoops. Smith scored 34
http://www.bnd.com/sports/high-schoo...125125124.html
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:19 AM   #228
FatGreg
Trent Frazier is now averaging 25.9 ppg, 4.8 ast, 5.9 reb, 2.9 stl, 49% fg, 27% 3pt (last year shot 36% from 3). Wellington is 14-2 and ranked #4 in the state.

Could he be a Dee Brown-like figure here? He seems like a special personality with his charisma and energy. I've watched three full games and lots of highlights, and the kid has some impressive gifts on the court. With his speed and aggressiveness, he could bring back the one-man fast break.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:25 AM   #229
miketherevelator
Pickett led Belleville East with 18 points in a win over Collinsville.
http://www.bnd.com/sports/high-schoo...125121364.html
The writer Dan quoted above also tweeted this last night.
Steve Overbey ‏@overbey13 10h10 hours ago John Groce is kicking butt in the SWC. Already has Tilmon (E. St. Louis) and Pickett (B-East). Smith (Edw.) and Liddell (B-West) may follow.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:02 AM   #230
Joel Goodson
Banned
Quote:
Pickett led Belleville East with 18 points in a win over Collinsville.
http://www.bnd.com/sports/high-schoo...125121364.html
The writer Dan quoted above also tweeted this last night.
Steve Overbey ‏@overbey13 10h10 hours ago John Groce is kicking butt in the SWC. Already has Tilmon (E. St. Louis) and Pickett (B-East). Smith (Edw.) and Liddell (B-West) may follow.
Have to add Hargrove to the list. Great to see Liddell is coming on strong (as is Hargrove). Hope these kids add a couple more inches before topping out. St. Louis area churning out players. Great for us.

Hope Smith pulls the trigger soon.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:18 AM   #231
FiveStar
Quote:
Interesting take on some kids and parents.

Joe Henricksen ‏@joehoopsreport 35m35 minutes ago Joe Henricksen Retweeted Pat Disabato
Terrific piece here by @disabato who spells out the truth about the reality of the high school basketball culture today ...
http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburb...106-story.html
That is interesting. Makes me appreciate that I am coaching good old fashioned high school basketball. No BS like this to deal with. As a matter of fact, I would argue that if our best player had any positive parental involvement, he would be better served heading to a prep school. People have really become delusional these days.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:31 PM   #232
TownieMatt
CU Expat
Can anyone update us on Liddell's development? Seems like we're in a really good place with him, and given our need for bigs, he could be a great get for us.

Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:34 PM   #233
FatGreg
We've been tossing around comparisons for Mark Smith the last few weeks. I just realized that there might be a decent one playing in the Big Ten right now: JaQuan Lyle. Similar body types, similar combo guard skills, both unselfish, gifted passers, both good but not overwhelming athletes. I know that Lyle was a top-50 player in high school and looked like a lotto pick against us the other night, but is this somewhat reasonable? I've only seen one Edwardsville game this year (against Althoff in the holiday tournament the other night), but I thought Smith looked like a big time prospect.

I like the McCamey comparison, too. Just wondering if anyone else sees a little Lyle in his game.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 01:37 PM   #234
illini8507
Javon just scored 17 in the 1st quarter vs Webster groves. Carteare gordon not playing

Old Jan 7, 2017, 01:55 PM   #235
illini8507
Javon has 24 at half. Ramey with 7.

Ramey has very quick first step and great court vision. Javon pretty much doing whatever he wants with gordon not playing. Webster groves playing good D though and forcing lots of turnovers. Outside of Javon, East has not been making good decisions with the ball. Webster groves has a couple kids who can really shoot and have a 2 point halftime lead

Old Jan 7, 2017, 02:05 PM   #236
Indy Illini Fan
First time seeing Javon play and I'm very impressed. He is doing anything he wants to offensively. Plays good defense as well. He's got 30 in the 3rd.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 02:19 PM   #237
FatGreg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Illini Fan View Post
First time seeing Javon play and I'm very impressed. He is doing anything he wants to offensively. Plays good defense as well. He's got 30 in the 3rd.
When he committed, some posters said, "he's raw, really skinny, can't shoot from outside, not athletic," so I had low expectations. When I saw him last year, I was like, "what?! Great frame, okay shot, smooth athlete, great motor, good rough skill profile." He's raw in the sense that he's maturing late, but he's got a lot of excellent tools. He'll be a great 4-5 year Illini. I won't be surprised if he cracks the top-20 scoring list by the time he leaves.

I feel like one thing we have coming in is a group of dogs: Frazier and Pickett are both high-motor scrappers. So is Smith from all reports (should he decide to commit). Tilmon is an active big. Hopefully the switch went on for Da'Monte before he got hurt - he was having a tremendous year. At least between Frazier, Pickett, and Smith, though: lots of tenacity.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 02:38 PM   #238
illini8507
Ramey just hit a game winner, finished with 21. Pickett scored 40, tying the Highland shootout record. The Belleville east pg may have set a record for turnovers, lol

Last edited by illini8507; Jan 7, 2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 02:41 PM   #239
Indy Illini Fan
Wow!! Javon was an absolute beast today. Even better than his performance was the fact that immediately following he started signed autographs for kids even after the loss. Talk about Character.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 03:37 PM   #240
UCantHideYer
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatGreg View Post
When he committed, some posters said, "he's raw, really skinny, can't shoot from outside, not athletic," so I had low expectations. When I saw him last year, I was like, "what?! Great frame, okay shot, smooth athlete, great motor, good rough skill profile." He's raw in the sense that he's maturing late, but he's got a lot of excellent tools. He'll be a great 4-5 year Illini. I won't be surprised if he cracks the top-20 scoring list by the time he leaves.

I feel like one thing we have coming in is a group of dogs: Frazier and Pickett are both high-motor scrappers. So is Smith from all reports (should he decide to commit). Tilmon is an active big. Hopefully the switch went on for Da'Monte before he got hurt - he was having a tremendous year. At least between Frazier, Pickett, and Smith, though: lots of tenacity.
High motor scrappers sounds great to me!
Old Jan 7, 2017, 06:48 PM   #241
illini8507
Champaign central lost to chaminade in OT, Tim Finke had 30. Thought he was way too passive in the first half, but boy he woke up in the 3rd quarter, draining 3 after 3. He was a little passive in the 4th, maybe more so the fault of his teammates not getting him the ball. Lots of possessions where he didn't get a touch. He looks the part for a guy with his ranking and offer list. Can really shoot

Jericole Helems is a jr for chaminade and is going to be a good college player as well, likely at a mid major. He scored 31 and quite frankly, ate finke's lunch in the first half.

Old Jan 7, 2017, 07:30 PM   #242
FatGreg
Hamidou Diallo, #11 player in 2017, committed to Kentucky today. Why do almost all the 5-star players decide to go to the same 4 or 5 schools? Just so they can play with other top talent at historic programs, compete for NCAA championships, get massive media exposure, and get on a fast track to the NBA? It's just so...uncreative. I just wish more of the best players would suit up for local programs and stay in college 3-4 years. Just my selfish desire - obviously they're making business decisions.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 07:32 PM   #243
FiveStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatGreg View Post
Hamidou Diallo, #11 player in 2017, committed to Kentucky today. Why do almost all the 5-star players decide to go to the same 4 or 5 schools? Just so they can play with other top talent at historic programs, compete for NCAA championships, get massive media exposure, and get on a fast track to the NBA? It's just so...uncreative. I just wish more of the best players would suit up for local programs and stay in college 3-4 years. Just my selfish desire - obviously they're making business decisions.
I think this is a legitimate emotion many people have. I just don't know how many of us would make the same decision these kids make if we were in the same position.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 08:36 PM   #244
Indy Illini Fan
Tilmon already picked up 2 quick fouls. He's on the bench with 1:10 left in the 1st quarter. Althoff up 23-15 at end of 1st.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 08:53 PM   #245
Indy Illini Fan
Jordan Goodwin headed to the locker room clutching his left shoulder. Didn't look good. Althoff up 37-26 at the half.

Last edited by Indy Illini Fan; Jan 7, 2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 09:10 PM   #246
miketherevelator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Illini Fan View Post
Jordan Goodwin headed to the locker room clutching his left shoulder. Didn't look good. Althoff up 37-26 at the half.
this game is on The Cube for anyone interested.
http://thecube.com/event/east-st-lou...ol-boys-703117
Old Jan 7, 2017, 09:22 PM   #247
Indy Illini Fan
Goodwin back on the bench in a tank top and khakis. He's done for the night.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 09:52 PM   #248
westcoastillini
East St. Louis beats althoff 74-67. Don't know the stats but JT had a bunch of key blocks and rebounds at the end of the game to help seal the win.

He also had several dunks and nice post moves during the 4th quarter. JT is very smooth for a 6-10 guy. It will be fun to watch him in orange and blue. (Assuming there is no change in leadership)
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:12 PM   #249
illini8507
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastillini View Post
East St. Louis beats althoff 74-67. Don't know the stats but JT had a bunch of key blocks and rebounds at the end of the game to help seal the win.

He also had several dunks and nice post moves during the 4th quarter. JT is very smooth for a 6-10 guy. It will be fun to watch him in orange and blue. (Assuming there is no change in leadership)
JT ended up with 13 pts, 14 boards, 8 blocks, and 2 steals. He was double and triple teamed all night, and estl's guards are terrible at feeding him the ball when he does get a seal. Moving home was probably terrible for his development because he is just not going to get touches with the players he has around him, but you can definitely see the potential is there.

Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:10 PM   #250
downstateIllini
Was at the highland shootout. I thought Hellems got the better of Finke. Chaminade had a few nice players. Justin Smith looked like he was on a different level athletically against Peoria Manual (minus Damonte and others). If I'm being honest, Goodwin looked like the best player there until his injury took him out. Tilmon doesn't really have any help. Teammates throw terrible entry passes and there was very poor officiating as well in the ESL game. He had a really quick spin move and dunk in the post that was called off for a travel. Tough to know what he will be because his team is so erratic
Closed Thread