Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January-March 2017)

Closed Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 08:53 AM   #276
brapp33
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....-the-next-step
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:08 AM   #277
IlliniBrave75
Tilmon impresses in opening game of ARS National Hoopfest

Now back in his home state, there had been some feathers ruffled over the fact that Tilmon, the gem of the 2017 recruiting class for John Groce and his staff, had not immediately signed with Illinois during the early signing period. While there were a lot of Illini fans wondering if they had lost their future star big man, Tilmon refuted the claims of going elsewhere.

“I just wanted to have fun, honestly. I wanted to see where the love was that,” he said. “They were still trying to get me so it opened my eyes. I was going the whole time but I just wanted to have fun. I told the coaches so they weren’t worried with it all.”

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....ional-hoopfest
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:10 AM   #278
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
@GoodmanESPN
Georgetown transfer Isaac Copeland has committed to Nebraska, source told ESPN
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:11 AM   #279
IlliniBrave75
STARTING FIVE: Penn State's smooth move

3. WHO IS MARK SMITH?

I've been getting this call from college coaches over the last week, "Who is Mark Smith?" they ask. My answer, I don't really know the full answer yet but I'm going to see him in early February.

In the meantime, here's the background on the 6-foot-4 senior from Edwardsville (Ill.) High who has created a stir with a strong season. Smith was previously committed to Missouri to play baseball but decided back in July that he wanted to focus on hoops.

Smith has put up big numbers across the board and the coaches who have been in to see him have been offering quickly. Illinois, Kansas State, Northwestern, Missouri and DePaul. His situation is definitely one that will have to be monitored closely with this many programs getting involved.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....ting-five--204
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:19 AM   #280
TCTORNADO
Copeland is a very intriguing get for Nebraska.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 01:11 PM   #281
Joel Goodson
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniBrave75 View Post
Tilmon impresses in opening game of ARS National Hoopfest

Now back in his home state, there had been some feathers ruffled over the fact that Tilmon, the gem of the 2017 recruiting class for John Groce and his staff, had not immediately signed with Illinois during the early signing period. While there were a lot of Illini fans wondering if they had lost their future star big man, Tilmon refuted the claims of going elsewhere.

“I just wanted to have fun, honestly. I wanted to see where the love was that,” he said. “They were still trying to get me so it opened my eyes. I was going the whole time but I just wanted to have fun. I told the coaches so they weren’t worried with it all.”

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....ional-hoopfest
Interesting definition of fun!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 01:13 PM   #282
Joel Goodson
Quote:
STARTING FIVE: Penn State's smooth move

3. WHO IS MARK SMITH?

I've been getting this call from college coaches over the last week, "Who is Mark Smith?" they ask. My answer, I don't really know the full answer yet but I'm going to see him in early February.

In the meantime, here's the background on the 6-foot-4 senior from Edwardsville (Ill.) High who has created a stir with a strong season. Smith was previously committed to Missouri to play baseball but decided back in July that he wanted to focus on hoops.

Smith has put up big numbers across the board and the coaches who have been in to see him have been offering quickly. Illinois, Kansas State, Northwestern, Missouri and DePaul. His situation is definitely one that will have to be monitored closely with this many programs getting involved.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....ting-five--204
Hopefully, Bossi will be seeing a committed (to us) Smith come February.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 09:05 AM   #283
IlliniBrave75
Jeremy Werner ‏@JWernerScout 12m12 minutes ago Jeremy Werner Retweeted Evan Daniels
Will #illini finally have a player in the game again?

Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels
The McDonald's All-American teams will be announced on Sunday night at 10:30 ET.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 09:26 AM   #284
IlliniBrave75
Kedric Prince‏@KedPrince4 27m27 minutes ago #illini bball fans (some) missing the boat on Javon Pickett my column here, http://www.qconline.com/sports/colle...4e007c999.html

Illini hoops fans: Get off the fence over Pickett

I have read all comments possible about Pickett. People say: ``Oh, Groce will definitely red-shirt him,'' ``he's not a top 100 player,'' ``why did we offer him,'' ``he's OK but he will be an average Big Ten player' ...

Those who think that of Pickett may want to adjust your beliefs. I will give you a few reasons why not to believe all rankings or what is the popular voice.

I was able to watch Pickett, also ruining Da'Monte Williams’ workout with the current Illini basketball team, and came away with the surprise recruit of the class. Pickett took one player to the rim and finished with contact. The next time down the court, he displayed a crossover even Tim Hardaway would be proud of. Williams played like a senior against the older groups.

Last edited by Dan; Jan 10, 2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 09:28 AM   #285
Second and Chalmers
Quote:
Jeremy Werner ‏@JWernerScout 12m12 minutes ago Jeremy Werner Retweeted Evan Daniels
Will #illini finally have a player in the game again?

Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels
The McDonald's All-American teams will be announced on Sunday night at 10:30 ET.
Not to be that guy like always, but my guess is no.

Not only because the McDAA's are 24 players and Tilmon is #25, but it's also a basketball game and the teams need to be basketball rosters and not just lists of players. The guys ahead of Tilmon in the recruiting rankings are disproportionately bigs. They will need some of the guards below him to balance the teams.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:21 AM   #286
618 Illini
Great article, thanks for sharing. As a guy who follows Metro-East basketball and is from the area, I have really enjoyed seeing this kid develop and still maintain the "head down work hard" mentality. Seems to be cut from the same mold as Malcolm in that they were underappreciated for the most part but still work to improve their game and don't worry about 3rd party reports.

Looking forward to a successful career in the O&B for Pickett!

Quote:
Kedric Prince‏@KedPrince4 27m27 minutes ago #illini bball fans (some) missing the boat on Javon Pickett my column here, http://www.qconline.com/sports/colle...4e007c999.html

Illini hoops fans: Get off the fence over Pickett

I have read all comments possible about Pickett. People say: ``Oh, Groce will definitely red-shirt him,'' ``he's not a top 100 player,'' ``why did we offer him,'' ``he's OK but he will be an average Big Ten player' ...

Those who think that of Pickett may want to adjust your beliefs. I will give you a few reasons why not to believe all rankings or what is the popular voice.

I was able to watch Pickett, also ruining Da'Monte Williams’ workout with the current Illini basketball team, and came away with the surprise recruit of the class. Pickett took one player to the rim and finished with contact. The next time down the court, he displayed a crossover even Tim Hardaway would be proud of. Williams played like a senior against the older groups.

OK, do not value my opinion? I was talking to Myers Leonard, currently of the Portland Trailblazers. Leonard looked at me and said, "Those two guys are why the future of Illinois basketball is in good hands. That one kid right there (Pickett) is a complete player."
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:49 AM   #287
Obelix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
Not to be that guy like always, but my guess is no.

Not only because the McDAA's are 24 players and Tilmon is #25, but it's also a basketball game and the teams need to be basketball rosters and not just lists of players. The guys ahead of Tilmon in the recruiting rankings are disproportionately bigs. They will need some of the guards below him to balance the teams.
At the same time, the McD AA game has been more of a marketing/showcase event than a positional balanced game. The fact that Tilmon is from a big market (illinois) and there is much less representation from midwest listed athletes and athletes already committed to midwest/B1G schools, probably increases his chances.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:28 PM   #288
Ga65
Watched Lumiere game. Epperson pretty raw and not strong enough to have much effect next year. Probably future talent though. Jaren Jackson, however will be a load next year and will help MSU immediately.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 02:29 PM   #289
Higher Ground
I spent the day watching hoops in Highland last weekend and have to say that I absolutely agree that Pickett is an under valued recruit. He strikes me as a kid cut from the same mold as Malcolm Hill in terms of his in game effort and humble play but is IMHO not the tweener that Malcolm was in High School. Pickett has a smooth motor and plays very much under control and within himself. If he can get similar results from the S&C program as our current players have I think he will be a fantastic wing for the program down the road.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 05:20 PM   #290
Chipatsj23h
Kind of surprised that Javon and Trent weren't nominated for the McDs All American game. I know neither would make the team but quite surprised that neither were nominated. Tilmon and DaMonte were nominated.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 05:21 PM   #291
Second and Chalmers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipatsj23h View Post
Kind of surprised that Javon and Trent weren't nominated for the McDs All American game. I know neither would make the team but quite surprised that neither were nominated. Tilmon and DaMonte were nominated.
How long is the nomination list?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 05:26 PM   #292
Obelix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipatsj23h View Post
Trent is a surprise based on rankings, Javon not so much.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 05:27 PM   #293
FiveStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
How long is the nomination list?
Generally really long.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 05:32 PM   #294
Obelix
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveStar View Post
Generally really long.
Link to the 2017 list:

http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/...0List_1.10.pdf
Old Jan 10, 2017, 05:57 PM   #295
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
@EvanDaniels
SMU transfer Harry Froling is headed to Marquette: "The program and facilities were unbelievable"
Old Jan 11, 2017, 07:22 AM   #296
Chipatsj23h
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
Trent is a surprise based on rankings, Javon not so much.
If you look at the list, Javon is a surprise. I literally have never even heard of 5 kids on the list for Illinois. I dont even know if they have D1 offers. Crazy
Old Jan 11, 2017, 07:36 AM   #297
Hooping34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
Is the Athletic Director from each high school suppose to nominate a kid for the all american team or do they take names from the AAU circuit?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 08:17 AM   #298
TEYPAY
3 from St. Rita... they should never lose....

Something else that stands out -- 10 nominees from Indiana...6 are from La Lumiere....
Old Jan 11, 2017, 08:32 AM   #299
ScottHall72
all it takes for a player to be nominated is for the coach or AD to send in a form

a lot of deserving players get left off and a lot of marginal players make the list
Old Jan 11, 2017, 02:00 PM   #300
TCTORNADO
It's Wednesday, has Mark Smith committed??
Closed Thread