Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2017)

Closed Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:26 AM   #2751
Madprof
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayAZ View Post
The following make the most sense:

Moore - I think this kid is pretty smart and can see how Evans fared with BU...so?
Badocchi - Wing that can get playing time
Ernst - Could walk into a starting role
Johnson - Who might make the most sense due to skill set and position out of them all...

Smith goes to Kentucky I think, he seems enamored as he probably should, I always thought the home town allure would win out but not anymore. Bruninga would have to be a preferred unless someone transfers, it doesn't seem as if that will happen.
Who is Ernst?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:27 AM   #2752
kuhl84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnarel View Post
This doesn't necessarily bother me. At any rate, it means that some of our commits may come as pleasant surprises, which would be nice change of pace.
Its probably a good thing, wasn't passing judgement, just an observation.

I knew about this kids visit to UVa before ours.

The staff's silence is contributing to some of the angst on this board (and others), but that's probably a good thing as well. There were many positive vibes which were "leaked" from the previous staff which never materialized. I think our "enthusiastic" fan base is projecting a lack of positive news from the staff as a negative, when in reality, it just means they are leaking anything.

I'm not saying we are suddenly going to get a recruiting wind fall, just that some of the negativism may be misplaced.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:32 AM   #2753
PlayAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLIlliniMike View Post
I don't think Evans play will be a determining factor in Moore's recruitment. I don't think many kids pick a school based off the performance of one borderline 5* star guard who they won't be playing with. Most of these kids, outside of possibly Badocchi, are going to be able to walk into a starting situation or major playing time. I hope we're selling them more than playing time.

Good points, Evans thrived in BU system, and more importantly was allowed to do so....I think any recruit notices this and if comparing games would factor this in as it directly relates to their game or the scheme the coaches obviously utilize.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:33 AM   #2754
Illini B-Ball Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madprof View Post
Who is Ernst?
Brady Ernst, just decommitted from Xavier:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/brady-ernst

Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:33 AM   #2755
PlayAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madprof View Post
Who is Ernst?

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...ter/100333948/
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:46 AM   #2756
Myers
Quote:
Originally Posted by troym22 View Post
Derek Piper‏ @DPiperScout 1m1 minute ago

#Illini hosting 2017 forward Francesco Badocchi (@frankiejones23) for a visit today - per a source.

http://www.scout.com/college/illinoi...cesco-badocchi
Yes Please. Yes Please.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:47 AM   #2757
Future Walk-On
Quote:

#Illini hosting 2017 forward Francesco Badocchi (@frankiejones23) for a visit today - per a source.

Tell me he doesn't resemble and play like Brian Randle.... (from the limited videos I have seen)
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:48 AM   #2758
Future Walk-On
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Toast View Post
Maybe McIntosh from Illinois state? 6-7 235 lb MVC Small Forward 2nd teamer. Strong, athletic, quick all around player. Well rounded offensively as a shooter/slasher, rebounder, and passer. Probably a lot like kipper. He could pull in some PF minutes and would be great posting up a 3rd guard or play at the top of the key in BUs spread offense. He's kind of a tweener and similar to DJW and Kipper but more experienced. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some ISU guys told me he is already going to Mizzou. Don't know if that's official or what though.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:00 AM   #2759
Adnarel
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhl84 View Post
The staff's silence is contributing to some of the angst on this board (and others), but that's probably a good thing as well.
Oh, absolutely. I'm even catching myself wondering if this is a top-down idea from Whitman, who clearly operates with a great deal of secrecy, decisiveness, and competence. I would be able to live with that, even if it makes the off-season recruiting thread a little more sleepy.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:04 AM   #2760
miketherevelator
Okon Scout News‏ @okonscoutnews 2h1 hour ago
Ayo Dosunmu (@AyoDos_11) is receiving interest from Sec Power Kentucky.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:05 AM   #2761
troym22
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketherevelator View Post
Okon Scout News‏ @okonscoutnews 2h1 hour ago
Ayo Dosunmu (@AyoDos_11) is receiving interest from Sec Power Kentucky.
We knew that would happen. Hopefully the connections we have with him help us out. He is priority #1 once Mark Smith decides.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:07 AM   #2762
IlliniTargetAcquired
I'm glad the staff is using an official visit because the way his recruitment is going doesn't hint toward a drawn out process where he'd make it back to campus.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:12 AM   #2763
miketherevelator
THT on Saturday in Highland.
WE GOT NEXT HOOPS‏ @WEGOTNEXTHOOPS1
Talen Horton-Tucker throws down nice dunk !!! Mac Irvin Fire get the W over Sky Ice Elite 78-39.
https://twitter.com/WEGOTNEXTHOOPS1/...86198420779009
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:13 AM   #2764
kuhl84
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluma View Post
Badocchi excites me far more than Pickett did simply because of his athleticism. Our teams for the last decade have been desperately missing elite athleticism. You can teach skill and development, you can't teach athleticism. I would think that Badocchi would be a much better fit in Underwood's system than Virginia's
Absolutely.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:23 AM   #2765
Chipatsj23h
Quote:

Why no rankings or more interest on this kid? Is he limited offensively besides athleticism? Whats the weaknesses here, has to be something we are missing. Love the athleticism though, attacks hard. Would be a good fit for Underwood.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:24 AM   #2766
UCantHideYer
Ernst & Angst. A couple vowels shy of standing a chance on Wheel of Fortune.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:30 AM   #2767
rockillini
Decent article on Mark Smith. The article mentions Smith might take an unofficial to Illinois.

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/colle...145022884.html
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:31 AM   #2768
Orphans
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCantHideYer View Post
Ernst & Angst. A couple vowels shy of standing a chance on Wheel of Fortune.
Competing law firm of Dewey, Cheatam and Howe??
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:31 AM   #2769
STLIlliniMike
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluma View Post
Badocchi excites me far more than Pickett did simply because of his athleticism. Our teams for the last decade have been desperately missing elite athleticism. You can teach skill and development, you can't teach athleticism. I would think that Badocchi would be a much better fit in Underwood's system than Virginia's
I agree with the athleticism part. It does seem like we've been the less athletic team on the court in most of our Big Ten games the last few years.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:33 AM   #2770
rockillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipatsj23h View Post
Why no rankings or more interest on this kid? Is he limited offensively besides athleticism? Whats the weaknesses here, has to be something we are missing. Love the athleticism though, attacks hard. Would be a good fit for Underwood.
He is a transfer student from Italy and only arrived in the US his Junior year. Very well known in Italy.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:37 AM   #2771
miketherevelator
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockillini View Post
He is a transfer student from Italy and only arrived in the US his Junior year. Very well known in Italy.
He also injured his knee during his junior year here, kept playing on it but then played little, if at all, on AAU last summer to recuperate.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:38 AM   #2772
Obelix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipatsj23h View Post
I really like his tenacity, but at his height he may need to seriously develop the rest of his skillset: ball handling, shooting, passing, one-on-one, perimeter skills, etc. It seems that his entire tape is a lot of inside dunks.

Hard to evaluate him based on just tape highlights but I do like his tenacity, athleticism, aggressiveness, defense, and overall effort that he seems to exhibit.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:39 AM   #2773
BWBW
I wonder if there are more native Italian students on the Illinois campus than Virginia's campus?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:43 AM   #2774
miketherevelator
'Zo is still on our scholarship chart and I still have hope for next year or the year after. These are highlights of the night he scored 43 and had 11 rbs 6 assists and 5 steals in the regional final against Bloom last month.
http://www.suntimeshighschoolsports....cks-off-bloom/

Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:45 AM   #2775
Johnny Lawrence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini B-Ball Fan View Post
Hardy may still be in the mix unless he's headed to Arkansas.
Hardy is by far the player I hope we sign the least. There's a reason Mich and Mich St did not offer.
Closed Thread