Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2017)

Closed Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:30 AM   #2776
rockillini
Decent article on Mark Smith. The article mentions Smith might take an unofficial to Illinois.

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/colle...145022884.html
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:31 AM   #2777
Orphans
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCantHideYer View Post
Ernst & Angst. A couple vowels shy of standing a chance on Wheel of Fortune.
Competing law firm of Dewey, Cheatam and Howe??
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:31 AM   #2778
STLIlliniMike
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluma View Post
Badocchi excites me far more than Pickett did simply because of his athleticism. Our teams for the last decade have been desperately missing elite athleticism. You can teach skill and development, you can't teach athleticism. I would think that Badocchi would be a much better fit in Underwood's system than Virginia's
I agree with the athleticism part. It does seem like we've been the less athletic team on the court in most of our Big Ten games the last few years.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:33 AM   #2779
rockillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipatsj23h View Post
Why no rankings or more interest on this kid? Is he limited offensively besides athleticism? Whats the weaknesses here, has to be something we are missing. Love the athleticism though, attacks hard. Would be a good fit for Underwood.
He is a transfer student from Italy and only arrived in the US his Junior year. Very well known in Italy.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:37 AM   #2780
miketherevelator
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockillini View Post
He is a transfer student from Italy and only arrived in the US his Junior year. Very well known in Italy.
He also injured his knee during his junior year here, kept playing on it but then played little, if at all, on AAU last summer to recuperate.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:38 AM   #2781
Obelix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipatsj23h View Post
Why no rankings or more interest on this kid? Is he limited offensively besides athleticism? Whats the weaknesses here, has to be something we are missing. Love the athleticism though, attacks hard. Would be a good fit for Underwood.
I really like his tenacity, but at his height he may need to seriously develop the rest of his skillset: ball handling, shooting, passing, one-on-one, perimeter skills, etc. It seems that his entire tape is a lot of inside dunks.

Hard to evaluate him based on just tape highlights but I do like his tenacity, athleticism, aggressiveness, defense, and overall effort that he seems to exhibit.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:39 AM   #2782
BWBW
I wonder if there are more native Italian students on the Illinois campus than Virginia's campus?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:43 AM   #2783
miketherevelator
'Zo is still on our scholarship chart and I still have hope for next year or the year after. These are highlights of the night he scored 43 and had 11 rbs 6 assists and 5 steals in the regional final against Bloom last month.
http://www.suntimeshighschoolsports....cks-off-bloom/

Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:45 AM   #2784
Johnny Lawrence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini B-Ball Fan View Post
Hardy may still be in the mix unless he's headed to Arkansas.
Hardy is by far the player I hope we sign the least. There's a reason Mich and Mich St did not offer.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:45 AM   #2785
AJT
Quote:
Decent article on Mark Smith. The article mentions Smith might take an unofficial to Illinois.

Love to see that he prefers to play pg and that is how BU sees him versus MSU and Kentucky pitching him as a combo guard
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:47 AM   #2786
JamesB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Walk-On View Post
Some ISU guys told me he is already going to Mizzou. Don't know if that's official or what though.

So is Mizzou going to have 20 guys on their roster next year. It sounds like they everyone is going there next year.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:48 AM   #2787
TownieMatt
CU Expat
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketherevelator View Post
'Zo is still on our scholarship chart and I still have hope for next year or the year after. These are highlights of the night he scored 43 and had 11 rbs 6 assists and 5 steals in the regional final against Bloom last month.
http://www.suntimeshighschoolsports....cks-off-bloom/

Have you heard anything specific on him Mike? The lack of news has me assuming he's headed to prep school or juco.

Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:48 AM   #2788
Obelix
Quote:
Being very familiar with Euroleague and European basketball, I seriously doubt it. European high school basketball is pretty much non-existent, it is all club teams (like AAU) and this guy really has no footage from Italian competition.

It does not mean that he is not a good player though, even the Greek Freak was a virtual unknown in his own country (played for little known team Filathlitikos - Div. II) and did not even play for U16-U18 teams (did not even have a passport) until NBA and Spanish league interest came knocking on the door.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:52 AM   #2789
miketherevelator
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownieMatt View Post
Have you heard anything specific on him Mike? The lack of news has me assuming he's headed to prep school or juco.
I'm assuming the same based on the same.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:54 AM   #2790
illiniguy24
Quote:

He gone.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:14 PM   #2791
PlayAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniguy24 View Post
He gone.
Not so sure about that...however, I though Smith would always be here, and he sees himself as a strong PG....Deron Williams maybe he compares himself too...we will see. I don't like Illini chances as much as I once did.

Kentucky history, ALOT of players competing..

MSU Final Four talent...Bridges only stays 1 more year, if Smith goes due to this and is not one and done, then what?

Illini Would run the team in more ways than one I think...he would be THE MAN here and could start the next legacy of players....Interestingly, I wonder WHO the talented players are that he was told about?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:15 PM   #2792
miketherevelator
Dang, Loyola!
Joe Henricksen‏ @joehoopsreport 6m6 minutes ago
And Illini Bluffs 6-8 Taylor Bruninga, another highly-regarded uncommitted senior, headed to Loyola for a visit soon.
Joe Henricksen‏ @joehoopsreport 7m7 minutes ago
Cam Krutwig, Christian Negron and Lucas Williamson a heck of a local recruiting trio for Porter Moser & Loyola...
Joe Henricksen‏ @joehoopsreport
Loyola and coach Porter Moser add to their stellar recruiting class by picking up a commitment from Young senior Lucas Williamson.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:15 PM   #2793
618 Illini
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluma View Post
Badocchi excites me far more than Pickett did simply because of his athleticism. Our teams for the last decade have been desperately missing elite athleticism. You can teach skill and development, you can't teach athleticism. I would think that Badocchi would be a much better fit in Underwood's system than Virginia's
I agree with this statement. When I was watching his highlight video I was thinking to myself "Who was the last player we had that could grab a rebound, go straight up and dunk it or take a power dribble and throw down the hammer.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:18 PM   #2794
Liesse1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayAZ View Post
Not so sure about that...however, I though Smith would always be here, and he sees himself as a strong PG....Deron Williams maybe he compares himself too...we will see. I don't like Illini chances as much as I once did.

MSU Final Four talent...Bridges only stays 1 more year, if Smith goes due to this and is not one and done, then what?

Illini Would run the team in more ways than one I think...he would be THE MAN here and could start the next legacy of players....Interestingly, I wonder WHO the talented players are that he was told about?
Recruits don't seem to value this as much as fans.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:21 PM   #2795
PlayAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketherevelator View Post
THT on Saturday in Highland.
WE GOT NEXT HOOPS‏ @WEGOTNEXTHOOPS1
Talen Horton-Tucker throws down nice dunk !!! Mac Irvin Fire get the W over Sky Ice Elite 78-39.
https://twitter.com/WEGOTNEXTHOOPS1/...86198420779009
As I said before I overstepped on the THT not a B1G player, this video shows he has gotten serious about basketball. He looks much more like a player, slimmed down quite abit actually. Also listed as 6'6, so interesting.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:29 PM   #2796
miketherevelator
Quote:
As I said before I overstepped on the THT not a B1G player, this video shows he has gotten serious about basketball. He looks much more like a player, slimmed down quite abit actually. Also listed as 6'6, so interesting.
No worries, it just caught me off-guard. Let's hope we both can cheer for him in O&B. And if Bruninga joins, we'll cheer for him too.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:29 PM   #2797
illiniguy24
Quote:

When I read that, I feel he wants to win more and be developed by coaches who are proven to send players to the NBA. I feel he wants that more than he does to be the man or be in his 'natural' position.

Also, those talented players he speaks of are playing the same position as him. I think he ends up at Michigan State, unfortunately.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:35 PM   #2798
MadSeason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
I really like his tenacity, but at his height he may need to seriously develop the rest of his skillset: ball handling, shooting, passing, one-on-one, perimeter skills, etc. It seems that his entire tape is a lot of inside dunks.

Hard to evaluate him based on just tape highlights but I do like his tenacity, athleticism, aggressiveness, defense, and overall effort that he seems to exhibit.
Everything you say is absolutely true. Fortunately, the things you can't really work on, he already has. NBA athleticism, good wingspan and tenacity
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:38 PM   #2799
illinihawk16
Former Lurker
Quote:

Then he plays with what will likely be a very talented roster. I'm hoping you don't mean that MSU is nothing without Bridges.

Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:57 PM   #2800
miketherevelator
Roy and Dariush saying things looking good for Illinois in regards Mark Smith.
Never a good sign.
https://twitter.com/takhtehchianmd/s...36055007408128
Closed Thread