Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2017)

Closed Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 08:14 AM   #2901
BMo79
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniTargetAcquired View Post
It's also important to remember that he was playing in one of the slowest paces in the country. He would fit significantly better in Underwood's offense imo. Shot selection and turnovers tend to be freshman mistakes too. Don't get me wrong - I like some of our guards, but I don't think you can turn him down with all our available scholarships

I would tend to agree with the fact we need Bodys, but IF big IF we land Smith I could see passing on him, I think his biggest asset would be the Chicago/Fire tie, but would be sad if having him sit on the bench for a year and take up a scolly was the reason we couldn't land Ayo
Old Apr 18, 2017, 08:16 AM   #2902
IlliniTargetAcquired
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMo79 View Post
I would tend to agree with the fact we need Bodys, but IF big IF we land Smith I could see passing on him, I think his biggest asset would be the Chicago/Fire tie, but would be sad if having him sit on the bench for a year and take up a scolly was the reason we couldn't land Ayo
He played with Ayo in high school. I couldn't see that being anything but a positive
Old Apr 18, 2017, 08:19 AM   #2903
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
but would be sad if having him sit on the bench for a year and take up a scolly was the reason we couldn't land Ayo

@mattcoldagelli

Old Apr 18, 2017, 08:31 AM   #2904
jcgoldie
Quote:
Brad Underwood will not miss on Ayo because he doesn't have enough scholarships. He's a guy you make room for.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 08:54 AM   #2905
troym22
Final ESPN 100

DaMonte #90

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/b...s/_/order/true
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:10 AM   #2906
IlliniBone
Quote:
Originally Posted by troym22 View Post
Mark Smith not being in the top 100 is borderline crazy
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:10 AM   #2907
Jack Ingram Ball Screen
My boss (former U of I Guard) was talking to a friend (former Florida Guard and current Big East assistant) and that he said he believed Trent Frazier was by far the best recruit in Illinois class. That was during the time that Tilmon was still committed. I know top 100s are not always accurate, but I wonder why he and Mark Smith don't get any love on them.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:14 AM   #2908
Obelix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ingram Ball Screen View Post
I know top 100s are not always accurate, but I wonder why he and Mark Smith don't get any love on them.
I think they get plenty of love. I have seen Mark Smith escalate in the rankings of many services and Frazier has been ranked higher as well.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:17 AM   #2909
ThreatLevelMidnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by troym22 View Post
The ESPN ranking are a joke. I wouldn't put any weight into them at all.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:20 AM   #2910
TownieMatt
CU Expat
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniBone View Post
Love Da'Monte, but there's no rational reason to have him ranked higher than Smith given his injury and Smith's monster year. ESPN doesn't seem to dedicate resources to accurately scouting and rating kids. It's frustrating because they're also the ones that end up showing these HS all-star games and national tournaments.

Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:21 AM   #2911
troym22
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniBone View Post
Agreed, I think Frazier should be in there too, I expected that over DaMonte.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:22 AM   #2912
Jack Ingram Ball Screen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
I think they get plenty of love. I have seen Mark Smith escalate in the rankings of many services and Frazier has been ranked higher as well.
I agree with you on Mark Smith. Was unranked at the start of the season and now is a 4 star. But when was the last time Heavy Hitters like UK, MSU, and Duke were all bidding for a guy not in the Top 100. I guess I am more confused on how can there be such a disconnect from major sports reporting companies and major universities. I know kids shouldn't dwell on those rankings, but they also work incredibly hard and deserve recognition.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:23 AM   #2913
troym22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreatLevelMidnight View Post
Just sharing to spark conversation. I would consider ESPN to be the least researched rankings. Still interesting to see and compare different sites rankings.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:28 AM   #2914
Obelix
Quote:
I agree with you on Mark Smith. Was unranked at the start of the season and now is a 4 star. But when was the last time Heavy Hitters like UK, MSU, and Duke were all bidding for a guy not in the Top 100. I guess I am more confused on how can there be such a disconnect from major sports reporting companies and major universities. I know kids shouldn't dwell on those rankings, but they also work incredibly hard and deserve recognition.
The 3 major recruiting services right now are rivals, scout, and 247sports. I believe ESPN is less involved, so that may be the reason. They have a different focus.

I bet Mark Smith is not losing any sleep over it. Getting heavily recruited by MSU, Kentucky, Duke, Ohio State, Illinois, Missouri and pretty much anyone who could get into his recruitment is a lot more powerful than ESPN rankings.

If Mark Smith is successful in college, he will get plenty of love from ESPN in other areas (i.e., not recruiting) were ESPN is very strong.

Last edited by Obelix; Apr 18, 2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:28 AM   #2915
Calvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreatLevelMidnight View Post
They're especially bad if you follow the college game. I think they're strongly biased towards pro potential, rather than who's going to make an impact in college, or what they did in h.s.

The fact that Smith is getting offers from the likes of Duke and Kentucky, but not making their top-100 shows how little they pay attention to it. It's all the stranger given his size for a guard.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:33 AM   #2916
Dan
Admin
Mark Smith visiting Illinois on Thursday

. @Mark_Smith_13 recruiting update: Michigan St. tonight, #Duke here tomorrow, visiting #Illini Thurs & Ohio St visit Fri-Sat #intrigue
https://twitter.com/NormSanders/stat...55767251664896
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:33 AM   #2917
EfremWinters84
Quote:
My boss (former U of I Guard) was talking to a friend (former Florida Guard and current Big East assistant) and that he said he believed Trent Frazier was by far the best recruit in Illinois class. That was during the time that Tilmon was still committed. I know top 100s are not always accurate, but I wonder why he and Mark Smith don't get any love on them.
I agree entirely with this -- albeit based solely upon highlight videos and stats. Quick. Athletic. He's got a scorer's mentality. He's one of those "athletes" we keep saying we haven't had over the past ten years. I'm optimistically expecting TF to start and score 8-12 ppg next year.

As for DMW, I'm expecting a reincarnation of his Dad by year 2 or 3. Now we just need to round-out the class with some top-notch talent.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:35 AM   #2918
troym22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post

. @Mark_Smith_13 recruiting update: Michigan St. tonight, #Duke here tomorrow, visiting #Illini Thurs & Ohio St visit Fri-Sat #intrigue
I was hoping Illinois would be last, but at least he is visiting again.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:38 AM   #2919
Chipatsj23h
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post

The end is near. Announcement probably sometime next week. Good news that he is visiting again.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:38 AM   #2920
Calvin
By the way, what's with the BIG recruiting overall? I look at 2017 team rankings on 247sports, and the highest ranked class is only 19th Purdue. The only other team in the rankings is 21st Wiscy. As far as individual players, it's much worse, with only one player, MSU Jaren Jackson? How is that possible?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:43 AM   #2921
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipatsj23h View Post
Good news that he is visiting again.
Really big.

@mattcoldagelli

Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:45 AM   #2922
Obelix
Quote:
Originally Posted by whovous View Post
I think we get the last in-home.
I think he announces next week, but I would not be surprised if Duke convinces him to visit campus. I doubt we get an in-home, not that it would be a bad thing.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:50 AM   #2923
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
By the way, what's with the BIG recruiting overall? I look at 2017 team rankings on 247sports, and the highest ranked class is only 19th Purdue. The only other team in the rankings is 21st Wiscy. As far as individual players, it's much worse, with only one player, MSU Jaren Jackson? How is that possible?
Much of it is class size. Big Ten teams didn't have many spots to give out having signed lots of guys in 2014-6

In 2014 12 Big Ten teams signed 3 or more players, 9 of the classes had 4 or 5 players
In 2015 12 Big Ten teams signed 3 or more players, 7 of the classes had 4 or 5 players
In 2016 11 Big Ten teams signed 3 or more players, 8 of the classes had 4 or 5 players
In 2017 only 5 teams signed 3 or more players and only Purdue had more than 3
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:51 AM   #2924
AJT
I wonder what are the chances that he commits before the OSU visit (I'm assuming BU tries to get one but it doesn't work). I'm expecting an announcement sometime next week. Also, no Kentucky plans...
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:55 AM   #2925
mhuml32
Looks like Kentucky is out
Closed Thread