Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 07:25 AM   #2901
jmilt7
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniBrave75 View Post
Here's a take from a Mizzou writer

Can Mizzou land 3 top recruits? Waiting to find out is the hard part.

It would appear, if youíre a Crystal Ball type, that the Michigan State Spartans are the leader for Smith. This also lines up with a lot of what Iíve been hearing around town. There is one big catch on this, and that is that Smithís parents like the idea of Mark playing a little closer to Edwardsville so they can make games on a more regular basis.

Distance to:

Columbia, MO: 137 miles
Champaign, IL: 158 miles
East Lansing, MI: 467 miles
Lexington, KY: 339 miles
Columbus, OH: 402 miles

This is why Iím not quite ready to eliminate the Tigers or the Illini just yet. There have been rumblings that things are down to either MSU and Mizzou, or MSU, Mizzou and Illinois. I donít know if Smith is that far yet.

http://www.rockmnation.com/2017/4/17...nox-mark-smith
In all the articles I have read about the Mark Smith recruitment I don't think I have seen Missouri as a serious contender. It is always Michigan State, Kentucky, Illinois and Ohio State (the latter is even often left off the list). Maybe Cuonzo Martin has done the near impossible and is keeping incredibly quite about it. Maybe that is why he is not recruiting Moore. I doubt it. But it would be an incredible coup if he pulls this off. But again, I doubt it.
jmilt7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 07:53 AM   #2902
IlliniTargetAcquired
Moore has his downfalls, but I think the board is underestimating him. He was Mr. basketball in Illinois for a reason, and he averaged 12.2 points and 28 minutes per game in his true freshman campaign. We rarely had freshman play in the last five years. He would be an upgrade in talent

Oops: wrong thread
IlliniTargetAcquired is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 08:05 AM   #2903
troym22
I hope BU makes Adam Miller a priority. It's going to be a heated recruitment as he gets older.

Then again, he has A LOT of priorities right now lol
troym22 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 08:06 AM   #2904
wettsten
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilt7 View Post
In all the articles I have read about the Mark Smith recruitment I don't think I have seen Missouri as a serious contender. It is always Michigan State, Kentucky, Illinois and Ohio State (the latter is even often left off the list). Maybe Cuonzo Martin has done the near impossible and is keeping incredibly quite about it. Maybe that is why he is not recruiting Moore. I doubt it. But it would be an incredible coup if he pulls this off. But again, I doubt it.
is ohio state really a serious contender? they usually get a mention and there's talk of a visit but no one seems concerned about them.

Old Apr 18, 2017, 08:10 AM   #2905
IlliniTargetAcquired
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMo79 View Post
you are right about the not playing FR in the last 5 years, and given that odds are he wouldn't have played here either till the end of the year like TL. I just do not see where he is an upgrade to who we have already. If he comes I will still root for him. saying he scored 12 points a game also means he didn't score 20 he tried to score plus gave the ball away 3 more times so for ever 12 he gets you he doesn't get you 26-30
It's also important to remember that he was playing in one of the slowest paces in the country. He would fit significantly better in Underwood's offense imo. Shot selection and turnovers tend to be freshman mistakes too. Don't get me wrong - I like some of our guards, but I don't think you can turn him down with all our available scholarships
Old Apr 18, 2017, 08:14 AM   #2906
BMo79
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniTargetAcquired View Post
It's also important to remember that he was playing in one of the slowest paces in the country. He would fit significantly better in Underwood's offense imo. Shot selection and turnovers tend to be freshman mistakes too. Don't get me wrong - I like some of our guards, but I don't think you can turn him down with all our available scholarships

I would tend to agree with the fact we need Bodys, but IF big IF we land Smith I could see passing on him, I think his biggest asset would be the Chicago/Fire tie, but would be sad if having him sit on the bench for a year and take up a scolly was the reason we couldn't land Ayo
BMo79 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 08:16 AM   #2907
IlliniTargetAcquired
Quote:
I would tend to agree with the fact we need Bodys, but IF big IF we land Smith I could see passing on him, I think his biggest asset would be the Chicago/Fire tie, but would be sad if having him sit on the bench for a year and take up a scolly was the reason we couldn't land Ayo
He played with Ayo in high school. I couldn't see that being anything but a positive
Old Apr 18, 2017, 08:19 AM   #2908
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
but would be sad if having him sit on the bench for a year and take up a scolly was the reason we couldn't land Ayo

@mattcoldagelli

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 08:31 AM   #2909
jcgoldie
Quote:
Brad Underwood will not miss on Ayo because he doesn't have enough scholarships. He's a guy you make room for.
jcgoldie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 08:54 AM   #2910
troym22
Final ESPN 100

DaMonte #90

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/b...s/_/order/true
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:10 AM   #2911
IlliniBone
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by troym22 View Post
Mark Smith not being in the top 100 is borderline crazy
IlliniBone is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:10 AM   #2912
Jack Ingram Ball Screen
My boss (former U of I Guard) was talking to a friend (former Florida Guard and current Big East assistant) and that he said he believed Trent Frazier was by far the best recruit in Illinois class. That was during the time that Tilmon was still committed. I know top 100s are not always accurate, but I wonder why he and Mark Smith don't get any love on them.
Jack Ingram Ball Screen is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:14 AM   #2913
Obelix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ingram Ball Screen View Post
I know top 100s are not always accurate, but I wonder why he and Mark Smith don't get any love on them.
I think they get plenty of love. I have seen Mark Smith escalate in the rankings of many services and Frazier has been ranked higher as well.
Obelix is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:17 AM   #2914
ThreatLevelMidnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by troym22 View Post
The ESPN ranking are a joke. I wouldn't put any weight into them at all.
ThreatLevelMidnight is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:20 AM   #2915
TownieMatt
CU Expat
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniBone View Post
Love Da'Monte, but there's no rational reason to have him ranked higher than Smith given his injury and Smith's monster year. ESPN doesn't seem to dedicate resources to accurately scouting and rating kids. It's frustrating because they're also the ones that end up showing these HS all-star games and national tournaments.

Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:21 AM   #2916
troym22
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniBone View Post
Agreed, I think Frazier should be in there too, I expected that over DaMonte.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:22 AM   #2917
Jack Ingram Ball Screen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
I think they get plenty of love. I have seen Mark Smith escalate in the rankings of many services and Frazier has been ranked higher as well.
I agree with you on Mark Smith. Was unranked at the start of the season and now is a 4 star. But when was the last time Heavy Hitters like UK, MSU, and Duke were all bidding for a guy not in the Top 100. I guess I am more confused on how can there be such a disconnect from major sports reporting companies and major universities. I know kids shouldn't dwell on those rankings, but they also work incredibly hard and deserve recognition.
Jack Ingram Ball Screen is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:23 AM   #2918
troym22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreatLevelMidnight View Post
Just sharing to spark conversation. I would consider ESPN to be the least researched rankings. Still interesting to see and compare different sites rankings.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:28 AM   #2919
Obelix
Quote:
I agree with you on Mark Smith. Was unranked at the start of the season and now is a 4 star. But when was the last time Heavy Hitters like UK, MSU, and Duke were all bidding for a guy not in the Top 100. I guess I am more confused on how can there be such a disconnect from major sports reporting companies and major universities. I know kids shouldn't dwell on those rankings, but they also work incredibly hard and deserve recognition.
The 3 major recruiting services right now are rivals, scout, and 247sports. I believe ESPN is less involved, so that may be the reason. They have a different focus.

I bet Mark Smith is not losing any sleep over it. Getting heavily recruited by MSU, Kentucky, Duke, Ohio State, Illinois, Missouri and pretty much anyone who could get into his recruitment is a lot more powerful than ESPN rankings.

If Mark Smith is successful in college, he will get plenty of love from ESPN in other areas (i.e., not recruiting) were ESPN is very strong.

Last edited by Obelix; Apr 18, 2017 at 09:37 AM.
Obelix is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:28 AM   #2920
Calvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreatLevelMidnight View Post
They're especially bad if you follow the college game. I think they're strongly biased towards pro potential, rather than who's going to make an impact in college, or what they did in h.s.

The fact that Smith is getting offers from the likes of Duke and Kentucky, but not making their top-100 shows how little they pay attention to it. It's all the stranger given his size for a guard.
Calvin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:33 AM   #2921
Dan
Admin
Mark Smith visiting Illinois on Thursday

. @Mark_Smith_13 recruiting update: Michigan St. tonight, #Duke here tomorrow, visiting #Illini Thurs & Ohio St visit Fri-Sat #intrigue
https://twitter.com/NormSanders/stat...55767251664896
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:33 AM   #2922
EfremWinters84
Quote:
My boss (former U of I Guard) was talking to a friend (former Florida Guard and current Big East assistant) and that he said he believed Trent Frazier was by far the best recruit in Illinois class. That was during the time that Tilmon was still committed. I know top 100s are not always accurate, but I wonder why he and Mark Smith don't get any love on them.
I agree entirely with this -- albeit based solely upon highlight videos and stats. Quick. Athletic. He's got a scorer's mentality. He's one of those "athletes" we keep saying we haven't had over the past ten years. I'm optimistically expecting TF to start and score 8-12 ppg next year.

As for DMW, I'm expecting a reincarnation of his Dad by year 2 or 3. Now we just need to round-out the class with some top-notch talent.
EfremWinters84 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:35 AM   #2923
troym22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post

. @Mark_Smith_13 recruiting update: Michigan St. tonight, #Duke here tomorrow, visiting #Illini Thurs & Ohio St visit Fri-Sat #intrigue
I was hoping Illinois would be last, but at least he is visiting again.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:38 AM   #2924
Chipatsj23h
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post

The end is near. Announcement probably sometime next week. Good news that he is visiting again.
Chipatsj23h is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 09:38 AM   #2925
whovous
I think we get the last in-home.
whovous is online now Reply With Quote