Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2017)

Closed Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 05:26 AM   #3076
miketherevelator
Gordon Voit‏ @GordonVoit 6h6 hours ago
FIVE STAR: Ayo Dosunmu is elite. Where will he go? How does Underwood need to follow Groce? Ext. coverage :http://www.wandtv.com/story/35183553/as-blue-chipper-dosunmu-works-back-into-shape-illini-must-as-well … #Illini
Old Apr 19, 2017, 05:28 AM   #3077
IlliniKat91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Lawrence View Post
I'm pretty sure most high schools would allow seniors to skip to classes to meet meet with prominent members of prospective colleges.
This is the absolute truth. Schools often set up appointments in school for students to meet with a coach or coaching staff. If it's an in-home, parents just need to call the kid in. No administration in their right mind is going to tell a parent they can't pull their kid.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 05:43 AM   #3078
Indy Illini Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakis View Post
Dope. Finke needs to be a total lock for that '18 class.
Ayo needs to be the only lock, staff needs to be all over him, before the blue bloods try and get involved and swoop him up. Finke will not wind up here, Notre Dame or Vandy would be my guess.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 06:13 AM   #3079
ratdawg
ratdawg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Illini Fan View Post
Ayo needs to be the only lock, staff needs to be all over him, before the blue bloods try and get involved and swoop him up. Finke will not wind up here, Notre Dame or Vandy would be my guess.
Any particular reason Finke doesn't end up here? Every professional prognosticator I can find that predicts his landing spot has Illinois in lead.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 06:42 AM   #3080
BMo79
Quote:

in state I agree AYO is the only one who I would say needs to be a lock, but I have a feeling we wont land him or anyone in 2018, and if we happen to it wont be from the state.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 06:50 AM   #3081
Indy Illini Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
How do you know this?

Sorry, Rat beat me to it.
I do think that we have a chance, but ultimately I think he will be elsewhere. Vandy and ND can offer a lot more to him than we can, assuming we get Ayo. If we don't get Ayo that changes things, but I am confident we land Ayo.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 07:03 AM   #3082
Jack Ingram Ball Screen
Quote:
I do think that we have a chance, but ultimately I think he will be elsewhere. Vandy and ND can offer a lot more to him than we can, assuming we get Ayo. If we don't get Ayo that changes things, but I am confident we land Ayo.
Why would Ayo matter to Finke? Why can't they play together? Why are we assuming every kid (who we do not know) motives for college? Is it that crazy to think that these kids want to win a National Championship?

I don't get why it is too hard for people to wrap their heads around that two or three guards (even four) can play together. Like I have said multiple times. Traditional lineups don't exist.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 07:10 AM   #3083
illiniguy24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ingram Ball Screen View Post
Why would Ayo matter to Finke? Why can't they play together? Why are we assuming every kid (who we do not know) motives for college? Is it that crazy to think that these kids want to win a National Championship?

I don't get why it is too hard for people to wrap their heads around that two or three guards (even four) can play together. Like I have said multiple times. Traditional lineups don't exist.
People seem to think that unless it is Kentucky, people are scared to play with other good players. I don't get it either.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 07:18 AM   #3084
BMo79
Quote:

well a lot of it is because odds are real good we wont have more then 1 scholly for next year if we even have one. AYO would be worth making room for , Finke I do not think most would say he would be worth making room for. As far you saying Traditional line ups don't exist , seems to me all 4 teams in the final 4 had them

Last edited by BMo79; Apr 19, 2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 07:20 AM   #3085
kuhl84
Quote:

I don't know how you can be confident we land Ayo. I'm confident we will be in the discussion, but it will be a recruitment filled with blue blood competition, involving the Irvin's.

I believe we have a chance, but we have never won this type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Apr 19, 2017, 07:24 AM   #3086
foby
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdawg View Post
Any particular reason Finke doesn't end up here? Every professional prognosticator I can find that predicts his landing spot has Illinois in lead.
Lack of scholarships?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 07:27 AM   #3087
Illinibadge
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMo79 View Post
well a lot of it is because odds are real good we wont have more then 1 scholly for next year if we even have one. AYO would be worth making room for , Finke I do not think most would say he would be worth making room for. As far you saying Traditional line ups don't exist , seems to me all 4 teams in the final 4 had them

I don't follow this line of reasoning. Truthfully, this is one of the things that Groce got right, his old line "I can do math" is 100% true. Especially when you consider that none of our current players appear to be transferring. Give it a year and someone will likely be upset, or ready to transfer, or we may not even use all our schollies this year. Long story short, it seems pretty safe to overrecruit as these things have a way of working out.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 07:29 AM   #3088
Illini4life75
Love reading everyone's opinion on here about situations they do not really know about.lol.the ayo Finke discussion. How many comment on here have act6watched either play.ive seen both a couple of times.the 3 games I seen finke.he stroked it.made it look really freaking easy.and strong.ayo,was just ok.only saw him play twice.and second time was against Courtney Ramey. Didn't play that great.couple drives at the end,but never took over or even try to.finke is 6'7 now. And might grow another inch or two.dude is a beast.ayo has a gift.take either guys any day of the week.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 07:31 AM   #3089
FeelTheLovie
Quote:
Originally Posted by whovous View Post
Knowing the luck of the Illini, taking a team member on a home visit has just gotta be a recruiting violation.
Can you imagine? Illinois slapped with a recruiting violation because MF decides to go home for dinner.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 07:33 AM   #3090
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini4life75 View Post
Love reading everyone's opinion on here about situations they do not really know about.lol.the ayo Finke discussion. How many comment on here have act6watched either play.ive seen both a couple of times.the 3 games I seen finke.he stroked it.made it look really freaking easy.and strong.ayo,was just ok.only saw him play twice.and second time was against Courtney Ramey. Didn't play that great.couple drives at the end,but never took over or even try to.finke is 6'7 now. And might grow another inch or two.dude is a beast.ayo has a gift.take either guys any day of the week.
I'd love to read your opinion as well but it's nearly impossible.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 07:37 AM   #3091
illiniguy24
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
I'd love to read your opinion as well but it's nearly impossible.
I was trying to find an eloquent way to say this.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 07:52 AM   #3092
EyeoftheIllini
I would be very surprised if we end up with no scholarships for next year.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 07:55 AM   #3093
skyIdub
Quote:
Maybe this would help?

Old Apr 19, 2017, 07:55 AM   #3094
BMo79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinibadge View Post
I don't follow this line of reasoning. Truthfully, this is one of the things that Groce got right, his old line "I can do math" is 100% true. Especially when you consider that none of our current players appear to be transferring. Give it a year and someone will likely be upset, or ready to transfer, or we may not even use all our schollies this year. Long story short, it seems pretty safe to overrecruit as these things have a way of working out.

YOu just said it yourself, no one looks to be leaving , if we fill up the 4 we have , even doing the math and knowing how to count, Finke would not be on manys list to be worth trying to get a kid to leave to open up room for, AYO is a different story sure we will be after him even if we do not have a scholly, I just do not think Finke is the kind of player you do that for.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 08:02 AM   #3095
spillini
Quote:
Love reading everyone's opinion on here about situations they do not really know about.lol.
You're gonna love it here
Old Apr 19, 2017, 08:09 AM   #3096
Jack Ingram Ball Screen
I wonder what the odds are for U of I to have an extra Scholarship this year and we do the honorable thing by giving it to a senior walk on. Its good PR and we will free up a scholarship for next year. This is obviously worst case scenario.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 08:14 AM   #3097
UofI08
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMo79 View Post
YOu just said it yourself, no one looks to be leaving , if we fill up the 4 we have , even doing the math and knowing how to count, Finke would not be on manys list to be worth trying to get a kid to leave to open up room for, AYO is a different story sure we will be after him even if we do not have a scholly, I just do not think Finke is the kind of player you do that for.
He was talking about no one leaving this year, not next year. With 4 openings, and a potential transfer, why would you not actively recruit the legacy/brother/local top 100 player?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 08:16 AM   #3098
Illini B-Ball Fan
Quote:
I wonder what the odds are for U of I to have an extra Scholarship this year and we do the honorable thing by giving it to a senior walk on. Its good PR and we will free up a scholarship for next year. This is obviously worst case scenario.
We still don't know if all the current players will be staying on board for next year, so there may be other openings yet available - stand by for future messages.

Old Apr 19, 2017, 08:18 AM   #3099
Adnarel
Banned
My increasingly firm impression is that the Smith and Moore camps are eyeing each other here.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 08:22 AM   #3100
JoseyWales83
Any news on how the MSU visit went with Mark Smith last night?
Closed Thread