Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

2017 Basketball Transfer Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 01:23 PM   #526
oldman
Not uncommon for a prospective employee to walk away from a conversation with a prospective employer thinking the conversation went well and the job is in the bag, given the prospect's inflated opinion of himself, even though there was no actual offer. An employer's courteous encouragement is not the same as a job offer.
oldman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 02:49 PM   #527
IlliniBrave75
NCAA creates Division I Transfer Working Group to review transfer rules

“Transfer issues can be very complex. This group is comprised of experienced leaders who will examine the issue with the best interest of student-athletes in mind,” Sell said. “We look forward to collaborating on this issue with the more than 50 presidents and chancellors who serve on both the DI Board of Directors and the Presidential Forum, who will offer their top-level perspective.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaa-cr...203900929.html

Jay Bilas‏Verified account @JayBilas 5h5 hours ago
NCAA Committee on transfers? NCAA says players are students. Students may transfer anywhere, without restrictions.

Jay Bilas‏Verified account @JayBilas 5h5 hours ago
If truly students and not employees, there can be no restrictions whatsoever on transfers. Meeting adjourned.
IlliniBrave75 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 03:12 PM   #528
Adnarel
Banned
I presume the official explanation for making student-athletes wait a year is so they don't transfer willy-nilly and bounce from school to school.
Adnarel is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 04:17 PM   #529
RichBradIllini
I understand it is only fair to take a serious look at player transfers but, my God, can you imagine the back door, underhanded deals? It will make high school recruiting look like kids play.

Will also have to have a devastating impact on the mid-majors...the D-League of college ball.
RichBradIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 04:19 PM   #530
jmilt7
Quote:
IlliniBrave75;1306683]NCAA creates Division I Transfer Working Group to review transfer rules

“Transfer issues can be very complex. This group is comprised of experienced leaders who will examine the issue with the best interest of student-athletes in mind,” Sell said. “We look forward to collaborating on this issue with the more than 50 presidents and chancellors who serve on both the DI Board of Directors and the Presidential Forum, who will offer their top-level perspective.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaa-cr...203900929.html
In other words, "with the best interest of the more than 50 presidents and chancellors and their schools who serve on both, etc."
jmilt7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 04:58 PM   #531
CuckM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCity View Post
I think it's just another spin job by lying cheating Cuonzo. Charlie probably told him he wasn't interested in playing in counzo's slow down grinding offense so Counzo responds with we're not going to recruit him to save face. Just like he "turned down" the Illinois job even though it was never offered to him.
Except Missouri isn't playing Cuonzo's offense. Cornell Mann will run the offense using Fred Hoiberg's pro style uptempo offense and Martin will run the defense.
CuckM is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 05:01 PM   #532
rockillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuckM View Post
Except Missouri isn't playing Cuonzo's offense. Cornell Mann will run the offense using Fred Hoiberg's pro style uptempo offense and Martin will run the defense.
Cuonzo is not recruiting him for two reasons:

1. He wants to play close to Chicago.
2. Moore does not want to play for Cuonzo anymore and he knows it. So he is trying to save face.

It's that simple.
rockillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 05:37 PM   #533
jrichisamazing
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBradIllini View Post
I understand it is only fair to take a serious look at player transfers but, my God, can you imagine the back door, underhanded deals? It will make high school recruiting look like kids play.

Will also have to have a devastating impact on the mid-majors...the D-League of college ball.
Not just mid majors, but all lower level basketball...even bottom feeders of major conferences. A star on a team like Penn St or Rutgers would leave in a heartbeat most of the time IMO. There would be a lot of "Talor Battle" level guys tearing it up on a bad team for a year or two, then transferring to a big time school and to try and win a championship or at least get more exposure.

Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:03 AM   #534
IlliniNation1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
Could come from many sources, I do not think it is necessarily a single source. Whitman could easily feed the information to analysts that he did not offer him. If he wanted to do so, he would/should have done it, could have even made a statement, even without mentioning names.

It is also not the case that anonymous posters on Illini message boards have better sources on what and who Whitman contacted and offered. But if feels good to say that we did not get rejected.

At the end of the day, it does not matter, even if we did offer Cuonzo Martin. It is irrelevant, they have their coach and we have ours. Performance on the job (i.e., BU's performance) is the determinant of success.
Since CM's buddy Laphonso Ellis was crying all night (pregame & halftime) live on ESPN during our NIT game after the hire of BU, that we should've hired CM. It's obvious there was no offer! It was ridiculous listening to Ellis tell the viewers that CM should've been given the job! At least 99% of the analysts who know what they're talking about, applauded the hire

Last edited by IlliniNation1010; Apr 19, 2017 at 12:10 AM.
IlliniNation1010 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 06:16 AM   #535
jcgoldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniNation1010 View Post
Since CM's buddy Laphonso Ellis was crying all night (pregame & halftime) live on ESPN during our NIT game after the hire of BU, that we should've hired CM. It's obvious there was no offer! It was ridiculous listening to Ellis tell the viewers that CM should've been given the job! At least 99% of the analysts who know what they're talking about, applauded the hire
This. There was no offer to Martin from UI or else Ellis would not have made such an ass of himself crying over Illinois' "missed opportunity" on ESPN.
jcgoldie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:54 AM   #536
miketherevelator
Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 4m4 minutes ago
Kansas and Illinois have emerged as the two likeliest landing spots for Cal transfer Charlie Moore, per multiple sources.

Sorry to intrude. Didn't realize this thread was off the rails too.
miketherevelator is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:56 AM   #537
Liesse1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketherevelator View Post
Kansas and Illinois have emerged as the two likeliest landing spots for Cal transfer Charlie Moore, per multiple sources.

BU needs to seal this.
Liesse1997 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:12 PM   #538
icengineer
I'm sorry. I played a part in all this. I'm done with the Cmartin talk.

Quote:

What's up with this? Kansas isn't very close to the ill family member in Chicago. Or is that even a thing? I'm of the opinion that if we can land Smith next week that we pass on Moore. If Smith goes elsewhere, I hope we prioritize some frontcourt players. Moore's situation can't really even be addressed until he actually finishes the semester anyways, correct? Do you file transfer paperwork before picking your new school, or after you've selected your transfer destination?
icengineer is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:18 PM   #539
Obelix
Quote:
Originally Posted by icengineer View Post
Moore's situation can't really even be addressed until he actually finishes the semester anyways, correct? Do you file transfer paperwork before picking your new school, or after you've selected your transfer destination?
Moore can select a school (for basketball) once Cal approves his transfer (assuming no restrictions). He does not have to finish the semester before making a decision, he can pick a school after his transfer request has been granted and still finish the semester.

Transfer rules by NCAA affect spots/basketball. Academically, you can transfer to any school.
Obelix is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:19 PM   #540
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
@GoodmanESPN
Ed Morrow told ESPN he will visit Marquette Sunday and then Iowa State the following weekend. Will sit and have two left. 9.4 ppg, 7.5 rpg
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:31 PM   #541
CLEARWATERDAN
Quote:

I thought Charlie Moore was going to transfer to a school that would be close/driving distance for his father. Kansas?
CLEARWATERDAN is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:37 PM   #542
jmilt7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEARWATERDAN View Post
I thought Charlie Moore was going to transfer to a school that would be close/driving distance for his father. Kansas?
Well, I guess it is closer than California
jmilt7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:39 PM   #543
GBPillini
Quote:
Howard grad transfer James Daniel tells me he will visit Ohio State, Tennessee, Michigan, and DePaul. All visits are in May.
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/sta...65320074129416
GBPillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:51 PM   #544
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnarel View Post
Which instantly acknowledging how silly this is, I'm starting to angst about this spooking Smith away.
There's an incredibly simple solve for that.

@mattcoldagelli

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 01:35 PM   #545
illiniguy24
Kansas University is a smooth 12 hour drive from Morgan Park High School
illiniguy24 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 01:46 PM   #546
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniguy24 View Post
Kansas University is a smooth 12 hour drive from Morgan Park High School
Knowing Kansas, Moore's ailing Dad would probably move to Lawrence.
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 01:50 PM   #547
illiniguy24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Knowing Kansas, Moore's ailing Dad would probably move to Lawrence.

True. In a very nice home also...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
illiniguy24 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 02:05 PM   #548
greger
Hopefully we don't misplay this and end up with neither.....something tells me it might.
greger is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 02:18 PM   #549
Takeittothehoop
If we don't land Smith or Moore, I would like to see a 5th year transfer fill the guard spot for next season and allow space for Ayo and Tim Finke for the 2018 class.
Takeittothehoop is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2017, 02:57 PM   #550
ritster
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEARWATERDAN View Post
I thought the same thing when I read this.
ritster is offline Reply With Quote