Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Old Sep 10, 2017, 09:52 AM   #1201
mhuml32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuml32 View Post
Anybody have the list of players that visited last night?

I saw twitter mentions for:

Ayodele Adeoye
Tyler Nubin (2019)

Looks like MJ Rivers also visited (and some crystal ball movement on him to Illinois).
mhuml32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2017, 10:48 AM   #1202
Paignt It Orange
https://www.sbnation.com/platform/am...nt-texas-video
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveStar View Post
He committed to UT within the last year, so current staff. I also think he committed to ut like the day after he visited Illinois. Could be mistaking him for someone else though.
You're remembering correctly

Old Sep 10, 2017, 11:11 AM   #1203
IlliniMed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paignt It Orange View Post
I guess the drama of Texas first game this year has him thinking about maybe he should go to a coaching staff that actually knows what they are doing
IlliniMed is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2017, 11:39 AM   #1204
FiveStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniMed View Post
I guess the drama of Texas first game this year has him thinking about maybe he should go to a coaching staff that actually knows what they are doing
As a person living in Austin, watching them get owned by a B1G team was extremely satisfying. Even more of it cause him to flip.
FiveStar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2017, 09:24 AM   #1205
IlliniMed
Hope the 4/5 stars see what this staff has done with lower talent and talent that was not even picked up by other programs.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 09:54 AM   #1206
BZuppke
Josh Whitman spoke of creating an identity when he hired Lovie. All successful programs have one. Wisconsin, our favorite example, created the identity of a strong running game with big linemen. Every Wisconsin farm boy grows up wanting to play OT for the Badgers and while they are many times only 3 star guys, they plug them in and have one heck of an offensive line for their Florida running back to run through.

Our hope with Lovie is that we build that identity as a ball hawking D that sends lots of guys to the NFL. I think that is one of the great recruiting tools - an identity that kids want to be a part of.
BZuppke is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:09 AM   #1207
BWBW
IMHO, great point, BZuppke.
BWBW is online now Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:13 AM   #1208
Illiini
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZuppke View Post
Josh Whitman spoke of creating an identity when he hired Lovie.
How about "the team that took Alabama to the woodshed"?

Illiini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:44 PM   #1209
FT35
QB MJ Rivers commits to Illinois:

https://twitter.com/King_2_Be/status/907312430824529925

http://247sports.com/Player/MJ-Rivers-84061

http://scout.com/college/illinois/Ar...nois-107148119

Last edited by Dan; Sep 11, 2017 at 12:51 PM.
FT35 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2017, 01:02 PM   #1210
StateFarmCenter
Coran Taylor twitter watch starts now
StateFarmCenter is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2017, 01:09 PM   #1211
FT35
Highlights from MJ's first two games this year:

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4224106/...b1a80d8843a5ac

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4224106/...f5950d5ce32c95
FT35 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2017, 01:11 PM   #1212
IlliniMed
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateFarmCenter View Post
Coran Taylor twitter watch starts now
Doubtful. Does competition disuade top QB's from committing to top programs? No. If they do, they were not what you wanted in the first place.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 01:26 PM   #1213
EfremWinters84
Quote:
Josh Whitman spoke of creating an identity when he hired Lovie. All successful programs have one. Wisconsin, our favorite example, created the identity of a strong running game with big linemen. Every Wisconsin farm boy grows up wanting to play OT for the Badgers and while they are many times only 3 star guys, they plug them in and have one heck of an offensive line for their Florida running back to run through.

Our hope with Lovie is that we build that identity as a ball hawking D that sends lots of guys to the NFL. I think that is one of the great recruiting tools - an identity that kids want to be a part of.
By George, I think you've nailed it Zup!

I had a great feeling about Lovie when we initially made the hire. I still had that same feeling prior to the UNC game last fall. However, it then started to fade after that disappointing home loss and the poor showing during the conference schedule.

However, after recently receiving some positive recruiting news and after watching our young defense against WKU, I'm feeling it again. And a 6-6 record this regular season would help sustain the momentum throughout the off-season!
EfremWinters84 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2017, 01:31 PM   #1214
StateFarmCenter
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniMed View Post
Doubtful. Does competition disuade top QB's from committing to top programs? No. If they do, they were not what you wanted in the first place.
His Twitter was unhappy with the 2nd QB we took. That's what I was referring to.
StateFarmCenter is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2017, 01:34 PM   #1215
mhuml32
Not sure how this impacts Taylor (grades?), but this officially closes the door on Lawson making it to campus.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 01:51 PM   #1216
IlliniMed
Quote:
His Twitter was unhappy with the 2nd QB we took. That's what I was referring to.
True. Does he expect us to give the ball to one of our line-men to throw if he or someone else gets injured?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 01:57 PM   #1217
Takeittothehoop
i would like to hear from CaliBear or some evaluations on these 3 committed QB's. I do believe the Illini has closed the door on Lawson.
Takeittothehoop is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2017, 02:04 PM   #1218
mhuml32
Quote:

Wait, was he upset or his followers upset?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 02:23 PM   #1219
james81
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT35 View Post
Looks like he won't be intimidated with playing in Memorial Stadium if he plays his HS games at the AT&T Stadium in Dallas, home of the Cowboys.
james81 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2017, 02:35 PM   #1220
mhuml32
Quote:
Originally Posted by james81 View Post
Looks like he won't be intimidated with playing in Memorial Stadium if he plays his HS games at the AT&T Stadium in Dallas, home of the Cowboys.

Believe most of the highlights are from the Cowboys practice facility, located in Frisco.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 02:38 PM   #1221
jrichisamazing
Quote:
Link?

Old Sep 11, 2017, 02:41 PM   #1222
jrichisamazing
Quote:

And offensively, McGee obviously likes dual threat QB's, so I wonder if we are pitching how McGee got Lamar Jackson?

Old Sep 11, 2017, 02:51 PM   #1223
Joel Goodson
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichisamazing View Post
And offensively, McGee obviously likes dual threat QB's, so I wonder if we are pitching how McGee got Lamar Jackson?
You tailor the pitch, based on who you're recruiting (penetrating observation). You'd better believe McGee brings up Lamar Jackson, early and often, to his QB targets.

We are setting up very nicely with young QBs. Surely, at least one of these kids will emerge.
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2017, 03:00 PM   #1224
james81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuml32 View Post
Believe most of the highlights are from the Cowboys practice facility, located in Frisco.
Thanks. Nice stadium for HS football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
You tailor the pitch, based on who you're recruiting (penetrating observation). You'd better believe McGee brings up Lamar Jackson, early and often, to his QB targets.

We are setting up very nicely with young QBs. Surely, at least one of these kids will emerge.
MJ Rivers has confidence he's going to be the guy. He's impressive in every respect--great size and ability.
james81 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2017, 03:06 PM   #1225
bigruss22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichisamazing View Post
Link?
He has since deleted it, but he did the eye emoji in reply to Littlejohn committing. Essentially, he took notice of it.

Coran just needs to accept that we have almost no depth at QB right now, getting 2-3 QBs this class was a must (especially considering they are all dual-threat and will take hits). I still think he's the best option of the group, but there is loads of potential with all 3.
bigruss22 is offline Reply With Quote