Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 02:53 PM   #1301
illinitiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinistuckinGopherland View Post
So... His parents only went on one visit... He chose a different school... And for some reason, it seems his parents have insisted he go to VT? Even though he'd be much closer at GA? Gosh, it almost seems as if his parents have some unexplainable motivation to want him to go to VT. College hoops recruiting sure is hard to figure out. Kind of like when baseball players inexplicably started shattering home run records.
maybe NIKE pumping VT over other 2 NIKE schools....who knows.
illinitiger is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 03:13 PM   #1302
Smacko
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinitiger View Post
maybe NIKE pumping VT over other 2 NIKE schools....who knows.
lol you really think that Nike is going to be pulling that type of stuff after the FBI announcement, and for a kid that isn't a top-30 recruit? Also, I don't exactly think VT is one of Nike's top basketball programs.
Smacko is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 03:14 PM   #1303
miketherevelator
Five-star guard Anfernee Simons said close to 30 schools have reached out since decommitting from Louisville. Did in-homes with South Carolina, Tennessee, Florida State, Florida, Dayton and SMU.

Jeff Borzello, ESPN Staff Writer
miketherevelator is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 03:18 PM   #1304
miketherevelator
Leftfielder™‏ @DaleMoss2 57m57 minutes ago
Leftfielder™ Retweeted Kendall Gill
Mrs and I had the wonderful opportunity to meet Danny Manning. He's recruiting our grandson. She talked higher ed, I talked hoops! #family ��
https://twitter.com/DaleMoss2/status/917122338973503488
miketherevelator is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 03:42 PM   #1305
Thor015
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketherevelator View Post
Leftfielder™‏ @DaleMoss2 57m57 minutes ago
Leftfielder™ Retweeted Kendall Gill
Mrs and I had the wonderful opportunity to meet Danny Manning. He's recruiting our grandson. She talked higher ed, I talked hoops! #family ��
https://twitter.com/DaleMoss2/status/917122338973503488
Who is the recruit?
Thor015 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 03:42 PM   #1306
kuhl84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor015 View Post
Who is the recruit?
Ayo.
kuhl84 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 03:42 PM   #1307
Smacko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor015 View Post
Who is the recruit?
Ayo
Smacko is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 03:49 PM   #1308
icengineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniDent View Post
You don't get out of the mess we have been in for 10 years by all of a sudden turning down a top player because he committed somewhere else first. Sure we want Valoten but lets be honest, if Nolley said hey I want to go to Illinois, you say yes and never look back
It isn't as simple as that. We got strung along, wasted a lot of time and effort, and still got dumped. 2 other schools got chosen ahead of us. If I'm BU, I move on and never look back. This isn't a Kipper Nichols sort of thing.
icengineer is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 03:51 PM   #1309
IlliniDent
Quote:
Originally Posted by icengineer View Post
It isn't as simple as that. We got strung along, wasted a lot of time and effort, and still got dumped. 2 other schools got chosen ahead of us. If I'm BU, I move on and never look back. This isn't a Kipper Nichols sort of thing.
No it is as simple as that... you need good players to win and Nolley is probably the second best player we are recruiting
IlliniDent is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 03:58 PM   #1310
itsJUPITER
this recruitment has a Ringling Bros. stench to it
itsJUPITER is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 04:44 PM   #1311
7yearillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsJUPITER View Post
this recruitment has a Ringling Bros. stench to it
Of course it does. He didn’t pick the beloved.
7yearillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 05:00 PM   #1312
icengineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniDent View Post
No it is as simple as that... you need good players to win and Nolley is probably the second best player we are recruiting
Reading comprehension my friend. This response has nothing to do with what I quoted and responded to in my post. You might be okay with how things transpired, not everyone is. I hope BU is not. Finding out we were 3rd choice, and possibly 4th, doesn't make me want to run out and beg him to come here now.

Last edited by icengineer; Oct 8, 2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 05:10 PM   #1313
Rad
Don't understand all the b***hurt about someone (18 y/o) making a decision and then regretting/changing their mind within 1 day and deciding to re-evaluate. I know I have done the same.
Rad is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 05:11 PM   #1314
TALKTOCHUCK
Quote:
Originally Posted by icengineer View Post
Reading comprehension my friend. This response has nothing to do with what I quoted and responded to in my post. You might be okay with how things transpired, not everyone is. I hope BU is not. Finding out we were 3rd choice, and possibly 4th, doesn't make me want to run out and beg him to come here now.
It would be foolish and childish if we didn't accept his verbal. I don't need to be convinced that Underwood would happily accept this change of heart.
TALKTOCHUCK is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 05:20 PM   #1315
pruman91
If he wants to come be an Illini, then take him.....I've changed my mind many times on a lot of simpler things in life than where I was going to spend my next 4 years at.....The only thing that bothers me is him saying he has known where he was going for 2 weeks and then we don't make the final 2....Probably a done deal to VT but if it's us then take him..

Illini are Walken on sunshine
pruman91 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 05:39 PM   #1316
whatahack
Actually I feel sorry for Nolley. He is making the biggest decision of his life so far and he is getting pulled in different directions.
whatahack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 05:50 PM   #1317
FC Illiniman
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatahack View Post
Actually I feel sorry for Nolley. He is making the biggest decision of his life so far and he is getting pulled in different directions.
Not sure if I call it sorry, he can make his own decisions, but other sure he wasn't ready for fallout. Our staff made many in home visits, maybe they made a impression on his parents. Does anyone have that insight? Maybe it is they liked.
FC Illiniman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 05:52 PM   #1318
TheFameProtector
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayAZ View Post
Maybe he really wanted to come here all along...Would love a Nolley/Elias/THT/ and a Big who would be ready to play. I always thought the 1 kid that we could miss on and not be necessarily hurt on would be Ayo. We are loaded at guard spots (weird right), not saying would not love to have him...but...fluid!

If we cannot get them, why not Easley? He is close and on market again? 3 wings and a big? Not sure who that might be...Euro I guess?
Totally agree with this - Ayo is awesome, a top flight talent and would be a big marketing win for us, but I *feel* that THT might be more valuable to us on the court (with our current roster) simply due to the depth at guard. A playmaking wing with athleticism plus a low center of gravity is pretty unicorn-like.

That said, dream scenario is to get both. A 3 guard lineup (TL, MS, and Ayo) + THT and a big would be insane.
TheFameProtector is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 05:56 PM   #1319
bombayIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvick217 View Post
So Nolley just De-Committed from Georgia.

https://twitter.com/thatbooych3z/sta...90831168917504
Is he trying to figure out how far north does south start?
bombayIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 06:00 PM   #1320
icengineer
How many times have any of you ever made an important decision about something. Immediately regretted it, and then turned to your 3rd or 4th choice? Be honest! You pick your second choice probably 99.9 times out of 100. Just how it works.

We had our dance with Nolley, we must have stepped on his toes a few times. We were his 3rd or 4th choice. What is so hard to understand about that? You honestly think he'll not pick VT?!?!? His parents apparently chose that as the only school they wanted to visit. There's gotta be a reason for that, right?

I got nothing against Nolley. If he contacts the staff and explains how his decision went down, how and why he regretted it almost immediately, and the staff is convinced. By all means accept his verbal. I just don't see it happening.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 06:04 PM   #1321
Thor015
It's fun to watch drama. People Are drawn to it, see kardashians and trump.
Thor015 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 06:21 PM   #1322
TheLegendaryOne24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFameProtector View Post
Totally agree with this - Ayo is awesome, a top flight talent and would be a big marketing win for us, but I *feel* that THT might be more valuable to us on the court (with our current roster) simply due to the depth at guard. A playmaking wing with athleticism plus a low center of gravity is pretty unicorn-like.

That said, dream scenario is to get both. A 3 guard lineup (TL, MS, and Ayo) + THT and a big would be insane.
Now don't forget about D-Will.....a quality replacement for Alstork but I don't see D-Will moving over to give a potential starting spot to Ayo or THT...either one would be a great land for the Illini...

Last edited by TheLegendaryOne24; Oct 8, 2017 at 06:25 PM.
TheLegendaryOne24 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 06:22 PM   #1323
illinifan87
Ayo trims his list to 2. Us vs Wake Forest. Let's go!

https://twitter.com/AyoDos_11/status/917182924834967552
illinifan87 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 06:25 PM   #1324
sacraig
Mad Scientist
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan87 View Post

That conductor image is awesome.
sacraig is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 06:26 PM   #1325
Illini B-Ball Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan87 View Post

Very noice.