Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Bowl Games 2017-18

Old Jan 4, 2018, 04:29 PM   #126
Dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod2010 View Post
Make the first round home games for the higher seed? Then go into your New Years Six for the Semifinals and Championship.
That is a great idea actually
Dude is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2018, 04:30 PM   #127
IlliniJim20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod2010 View Post
Make the first round home games for the higher seed? Then go into your New Years Six for the Semifinals and Championship.
I like this idea, except you just know a northern school will get screwed out of hosting a home game. You think the committee would allow a Florida team, hypothetically, to travel to Madison or Ann Arbor in January or December!

Old Jan 4, 2018, 06:22 PM   #128
ILL_INI
I'm just not seeing the need for expanding. Increasing the number of teams in the playoffs will increase the number of teams claiming they got screwed. So you want to expand to six or eight teams so you definitely have the top four teams. How about being satisfied that the top two teams are among the four chosen?

Who has the #1 font? 1 1_ 1_ 1 1\I O 1 S
ILL_INI is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2018, 07:14 PM   #129
Ramrod2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
That is a great idea actually
To you're point, not many fans will be willing to travel to three neutral site games. And I don't think there are enough casual fans that would be just willing to go and thereby picking up any slack from either (or both) fan bases.

Plus, it continues to reinforce the idea that the regular season matters. The one downside, if you can call it that, is that one of the conference champs will have to play on the road. However, once you get to this point you are being as fair as you possibly can and if a team doesn't like it? Too bad, win more games during the regular season and don't leave it to a committee ranking.
Ramrod2010 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2018, 07:15 PM   #130
Ramrod2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJim20 View Post
I like this idea, except you just know a northern school will get screwed out of hosting a home game. You think the committee would allow a Florida team, hypothetically, to travel to Madison or Ann Arbor in January or December!
That would be pretty awesome to see that happen.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 07:24 PM   #131
BZuppke
Well we bowl tie in guys predicted the 4 team playoff wouldn’t satisfy the insatiable. So with an 8 team playoff (which every college president will veto), you have all 5 power conference champs in. First, there are times a conference champ is 8-4. So how does that team merit over the 10-2 third place team from another conference? Additionally would Wisky and tOSU both get in this year? PSU and tOSU last year? You’re adding more teams but numbers 9,10 and 11 will still !!!!!. So to me, knowing that if you win the B1G championship you go to the Rose Bowl is a more satisfying outcome than being an also ran in a BS playoff. Which do Illini fans talk about/cherish most? The 2001 Sugar Bowl or going to the Rose Bowl in 2008? We’ve given up a guaranteed Rose Bowl - the greatest bowl of all, for a chance to participate in a BS playoff. I couldn’t care less which cheating, slimey SEC team wins on Monday. It means nothing. Come home with a Rose Bowl championship and it stands forever.
BZuppke is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2018, 07:40 PM   #132
Ramrod2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL_INI View Post
I'm just not seeing the need for expanding. Increasing the number of teams in the playoffs will increase the number of teams claiming they got screwed. So you want to expand to six or eight teams so you definitely have the top four teams. How about being satisfied that the top two teams are among the four chosen?
I think to a point you're right. But the problem, in some peoples opinion (mine included), is that while we might be able to assume that representatives from the PAC 12 and B1G shouldn't have been included in the playoff we don't know what would have happened if they were there. Throw in the UCF team this year (and Boise State from a few years back) and it just raises more questions about whether or not the right teams got in. And given that top teams aren't just going to fill their non-conference slate with top teams from other Power 5 conferences it can become difficult to really get an idea of where every conference belongs.

I've seen it mentioned that more teams in the playoffs makes the regular season mean less, but I believe that given the option laid out in this thread (Five Power 5 Conference Champions + one Highest Group 5 Ranked team - as long they are ranked higher than ~15 + two "at-large" teams that have the highest ranking that didn't win their conference championship) it makes the regular season mean that much more. As it stands now a team can win their conference but not even get a shot at winning that National Championship...so what does that make the regular season? If the ultimate goal is a National Championship then the regular season (and whatever consolation bowl the team gets) would seem worthless.

As for your point about more teams complaining... Yeah that probably will happen but at least then you can say "Hey, you didn't even win your conference so you're lucky to be considered at all."
Old Jan 8, 2018, 05:02 PM   #133
Illini_1979
Well, the 41 "experts" at ESPN predict Alabama to win tonight by a tally of 34 - 7.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...n-expert-picks

Me, I'm hoping that Georgia can pull it out.

I know that a lot of posters on here don't like either team (me too) and the SEC bias in the selection of the playoff teams (me too). Nevertheless, I will be watching the game.
Illini_1979 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 08:38 PM   #134
Dan
Admin
Instead of complaining about the all-SEC title game, these Illinois fans crashed the party.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=2...758620648137-4
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:41 PM   #135
Gunner23
Is the SEC Championship over yet? IF so, who won???...
Gunner23 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2018, 05:13 AM   #136
Verified Insider
For those complaining about two SEC teams playing.......well, you missed a classic. The best two teams in the country were on the field.

Here's the thing. Don't want two SEC teams getting in? Then don't lose to Iowa by 30. It really comes down to that.
Verified Insider is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2018, 05:17 AM   #137
1LL1N1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verified Insider View Post
For those complaining about two SEC teams playing.......well, you missed a classic. The best two teams in the country were on the field.

Here's the thing. Don't want two SEC teams getting in? Then don't lose to Iowa by 30. It really comes down to that.
Yup. Great game.

Relative to out beloved, sadly, it was like watching a different sport.
1LL1N1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2018, 07:27 AM   #138
MadSeason
Great game marred by poor refereeing by Big 10 officials. Missed off sides on punt block. Missed face mask call and an Alabama player punches a Georgia player and stays in game.

Georgia fans have a right to be upset
MadSeason is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2018, 07:40 AM   #139
IlliniJim20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSeason View Post
Great game marred by poor refereeing by Big 10 officials. Missed off sides on punt block. Missed face mask call and an Alabama player punches a Georgia player and stays in game.

Georgia fans have a right to be upset
Agree 100% on those cited. The lack of face mask was ridiculous. Usually you see it missed the other way (phantom call) based on the neck snapping around.

Alabama player should have been ejected. Instead comes back to make a big play on ST.

I saw that missed off side too. It looked like he timed it perfectly. Of course refs also missed a false start, which would have negated blocked punt anyway if called.

On a separate note, maybe it's my big ten viewing bias, but do any other conferences call sideline rankings as much as the Big Ten refs do?

Old Jan 9, 2018, 07:44 AM   #140
StateFarmCenter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Instead of complaining about the all-SEC title game, these Illinois fans crashed the party.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=2...758620648137-4
Anyone know where I can get that sweater on the far right?
StateFarmCenter is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:08 AM   #141
1LL1N1
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateFarmCenter View Post
https://www.hillflint.com/schools/il...et=0&limit=100

My wife got me a Block I sweater from Hillflint for Christmas two years ago. Good quality. Strangely, the sweater you referenced is listed as Women's, so...buyer beware.

1LL1N1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:18 AM   #142
dsg
"We have a plan."
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateFarmCenter View Post
Men's Navy Illinois Fighting Illini Tailgate Crew Neck Sweater
dsg is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2018, 02:17 PM   #143
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJim20 View Post
Agree 100% on those cited. The lack of face mask was ridiculous. Usually you see it missed the other way (phantom call) based on the neck snapping around.

Alabama player should have been ejected. Instead comes back to make a big play on ST.

I saw that missed off side too. It looked like he timed it perfectly. Of course refs also missed a false start, which would have negated blocked punt anyway if called.

On a separate note, maybe it's my big ten viewing bias, but do any other conferences call sideline rankings as much as the Big Ten refs do?
As well as two missed targeting calls. I hate the call but you can't call it the entire season and in every other bowl game and let it go in the national championship game.
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2018, 09:42 PM   #144
Gunner23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verified Insider View Post

Agreed. Incredible game. My post was sarcastic and not complaining. Living here, I am surrounded by FSU, Gator, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Miami, LSU ( many displaced after Katrina), and Troy fans. Fans of each of these teams come through our clinic every day. I wanted a good, close, competitive game and got that game times infinity. Great day at work today discussing/debating last night's game. I don't care if there were two SEC teams getting into the playoff. Last night's game couldn't have been any more incredible, no matter which team won. Saban might have cemented himself into the best college football coach in the history of the game last night.

Maybe, one day, our Illini will play in a game like last night's game.
Gunner23 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2018, 08:34 AM   #145
StateFarmCenter
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LL1N1 View Post
https://www.hillflint.com/schools/il...et=0&limit=100

My wife got me a Block I sweater from Hillflint for Christmas two years ago. Good quality. Strangely, the sweater you referenced is listed as Women's, so...buyer beware.

Thanks a lot guys
StateFarmCenter is offline Reply With Quote