Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Pregame: Illinois at Nebraska, Saturday, February 18th, 4:00pm CT, BTN

Closed Thread

Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:04 AM   #51
pizzaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffster44 View Post
Timing is everything my girls are playing Volleyball in Omaha this weekend, both have games in the morning, (sat) 45 mins from Lincoln. Both should be done around 2pm The wife and girls are gonna drive over and go to the game too. Sorry I just thought that was cool.

(My 8th grade daughter is 6ft tall too.)
Does the UI provide comped tickets for the whole family to attend away games? Is it harder to get those at some arenas? Is there a certain allotment the UI gets for friends and family at every away game? Who decides who gets the tickets and how many they get?

I thank you in advance for sharing as much as you do. I'm just curious and if you prefer to ignore my inquisitiveness, I understand.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:05 AM   #52
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Timing is everything my girls are playing Volleyball in Omaha this weekend, both have games in the morning, (sat) 45 mins from Lincoln. Both should be done around 2pm The wife and girls are gonna drive over and go to the game too. Sorry I just thought that was cool.

Couldn't work out any better than that. Just curious if you could give us any insight on how practice was yesterday? I know you have to be careful what you say of course. Just wondered how team chemistry is right now. I certainly haven't given up on Tyler and the team this season.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:15 AM   #53
4LaCosaNostra
have fun Griffster!!! good luck to Tyler and your daughters!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:30 AM   #54
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Weber's players faced unfair expectations

It's easy to blame this year's Illinois team for the state of the program. The current players are the ones wearing the uniforms and representing the school each time they step foot onto the floor.

But all of the frustration with Illinois coach Bruce Weber and the program shouldn't rest on this group. That's not fair.

What this squad has or hasn't accomplished shouldn't be surprising. The question marks surrounding this team exceeded the answers leading up to the season.

Scott Powers

Last edited by Dan; Feb 17, 2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:33 AM   #55
Griffster44
Each player gets 4 tickets to every game, home or away. They can get extra's from players who don't use theirs too. They trade swap etc etc..

I don't know about practice.. would not say even if I did Sorry !!!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:35 AM   #56
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Quote:

Coach Kevin Hambly, Women's Volleyball, University of Illinois

khambly2@illinois.edu

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:41 AM   #57
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIlliniwek View Post
Will be at the game. Hoping the last game I see of the Bruce Weber era in person will be a victory.

ILL: 73
NEB: 61

Hope you're right, Chief! I think we'll struggle to score but pull out the W.

UI 61
NEB 58
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:43 AM   #58
Dan
Admin
Nebraska 59, Illinois 58. Hope I'm wrong! Win this, and the dream of 8-10 and the possibility of drama on Selection Sunday is still alive.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:45 AM   #59
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
6 feet tall! Does she play hoops, too? Paging Jolette Law ...
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:46 AM   #60
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
She could win a NC at Illinois in volleyball though!!!

Wait, how are her passing skills and ball handling skills, we could use a guard on the men's team with those skills.

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:46 AM   #61
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Nebraska 59, Illinois 58. Hope I'm wrong! Win this, and the dream of 8-10 and the possibility of drama on Selection Sunday is still alive.
NEB (like us) is fading. This game could get mighty ugly. Hopefully we play a little less ugly. Any W will look beautiful at this point.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:47 AM   #62
Griffster44
No hoops for the girls.. just VB... lol You guys crack me up too !!!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:51 AM   #63
sugmeister
Quote:

good luck to the girls then, griffster! good to hear from you. maybe they can take some good vibes over the the bball team. we could sure use some.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:55 AM   #64
sugmeister
Quote:
NEB (like us) is fading. This game could get mighty ugly. Hopefully we play a little less ugly. Any W will look beautiful at this point.
HOC - your posts following the NW game were golden regarding the insights into the mood of the team..... any reports the last couple of days after the disaster Wed night?

I would think we either come out like whipped pups who have written off the season or we come out madder than h#ll and we're not gonna take it anymore.
I can't remember the last time we even HAD a double digit lead..... would be nice to get one hold one. but I'm not holding my breath.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:00 AM   #65
ryls
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugmeister View Post
HOC - your posts following the NW game were golden regarding the insights into the mood of the team..... any reports the last couple of days after the disaster Wed night?

I would think we either come out like whipped pups who have written off the season or we come out madder than h#ll and we're not gonna take it anymore.
I can't remember the last time we even HAD a double digit lead..... would be nice to get one hold one. but I'm not holding my breath.
They should be very excited and feel like they have new life after the mock selection barely has them in, 3 more wins and 1 in the tournament should do it, 2 in the tournament almost for sure. Paul, Abrams and Bertrand should take it to the hoop, very few threes, only Griffey and Richardson shoot threes, I think they can and will do it.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:02 AM   #66
cea73
Banned
In reading this I can't say a agree with much that is stated here. Where to begin?
Not exactly sure where because I couldn't look it up, where espn had everyone rated,
but the this is where Rivals had this year's incoming class rated:

11. ILLINOIS
2011 commits (National rank)
SF Mycheal Henry (39)
PG Tracy Abrams (58)
PF Mike Shaw (59)
C Nnanna Egwu (97)
SF Devin Langford
PF Ibrahima Djimde

I thought Egwu was the highest rated, but as you can see Rivals had it listed like this, Espn must have had it rated differently.

Either way, this could explain some fans expectations.

Sam the Man, I think it would be fair to say, people had expectations for Sam because:
Played in 111 career games, posting totals of 1,210 points and 355 assists ... Three-year team co-captain ... Started the first six games as a senior before he was sidelined for the remainder of the season by an ankle injury and subsequent surgery ... Averaged 13.1 points and 3.4 assists as a junior, earning second-team All-Missouri Valley Conference honors and second-team NABC All-District 16 accolades ... 2010 MVC All-Tournament Team ... 2010 First-team MVC Scholar-Athlete and NABC Honors Court ... Scored a career-high 31 points vs. Creighton in the MVC Tournament quarterfinal (March 5, 2010) ... Averaged 12.6 points and 3.1 assists as a sophomore ... 2009 Second-team MVC Scholar Athelte ... Averaged 7.7 points and 3.0 assists as a freshman, earning a spot on the MVC All-Newcomer and All-Freshmen Teams.

Just because he played at Bradley, a Mid Major, should not exclude the fact he could play. Granted, the MVC is not the Big Ten, but every year we see mid majors take it to the big teams in the tournament. The Elite conferences of yesteryear are not as Elite. The playing field has been level some what. Just look at Butler making it to the Championship to years in a row.
So to me this is a bit irrelevant. Obviously, he wouldn't have been offered a spot if they didn't think he could play. And lets not forget, with Sam, Bradley beat Illinois just a couple of years ago, no?

Tyler Griffey and Joe Bertrand. If Weber had hoped to get more out of these two, I think Joe has exceeded expectations, considering he barely hit the floor last year whatsoever.
As for Griffey, you have to get on the floor. He started 14 games early on and really struggled at times to find his role in this offense, but in fairness, when you have a legit lottery pick at the center position your opportunities are going to be limited. Weber lost confidence in him, Griffey lost confidence as well. Resulting in him barely seeing the floor until the Michigan game where he went off. Maybe if Weber had stayed with him, we could have grabbed on more win. They have all been fairly close. But who knows?

As far as the incoming freshman class. Well, I know people had expectations, because we were nationally ranked 11 in the country. Personally, I thought, Abrams and Egwu, were going to be the ones that got the most playing time and for the most part they have. But I do not believe anyone thought it if they do not do this or that we do not have a chance. People were excited because of the lack of recruiting from the past and we had finally landed some higher ranked recruits.

Lets not forget, that McCamey was a four year player, and we had no one at the point behind him. That blame goes on Bruce and his staff. It is the only reason, they brought in Maniscalso. And unfortunately, neither Abrams or Sam is a true point guard. But the fans trusted that they were. As we have seen neither really is.

I think Abrams can develop into that. Love his heart, want to see more game.

Myers Leonard. Again, fans have expectations because scouts, other coaches, and former players have gushed with his athleticism and talent. He was also asked to play for the under 19 National Basketball team. Someone else must have seen that potential as well.

It is a bit misleading, the 2.1 points and so on. He averaged less the ten minutes a game last year. And last years team was heavy on upperclassman. We all begged Weber to get him in more last year, but Weber kept in Tisdale. Who never really developed as a true center. ML could have gotten more time, for sure, but last year, just as this, Bruce doesn't go deep into his bench, no matter how many times he has said he would in the past.

And finally D.J. and BP. They are both the most experienced players we have. They are upperclassman. D.J. has pretty much started since his freshman year and BP was used heavily off the bench his freshman year. I think a lot of people remember the Clemson game where we were down by 22, and Paul really brought us back in that game.

That is why there are expectations. We have seen flashes of great play. Richardson, Griffey, Bertrand, Paul, have all been in the program for three years now. Illinois's cupboard was not completely bare. Add, a fifth year senior, and a future lottery pick at center and I think we all expected better than 5-8. I do not believe anyone expected us to win the big ten, but I would be safe to say, they didn't expect to Lose to NW at home. They didn't expect, to get swept by Purdue. They didn't expect, the veterans to regress. They didn't expect our lack of leadership, sloppy play, more turnover than assists, and so on and so.

So in conclusion. I disagree that these players faced unfair expectations. More expectations were put on the upperclassman for sure. As I mentioned four of them have been in the program for three years now, yet they look like they have never run this offense before. There is far too much emphasis on the three point shot. Even though, we heave them up game after game, the coaching staff never makes adjustments. And if they do, these guys aren't listening. Which says to me they have lost confidence in there coach. The tale is wagging the dog.

The biggest expectations were on Weber and his coaching staff. Illinois fans should never settle for middle of the 12 team pack. The criticism comes from fans losing patience with Weber and what he said at the beginning of the season where he mentioned going deeper in his bench. This was supposed to be a new era, no more Tisdale, Davis, Cole, and McCamey.

Those were poor recruiting years.
This years group was highly ranked, we had a legit center who should have matured with a year under his belt. We had four upperclassman with plenty of big ten experience returning. And a fifth year senior, to bring it all together.

What expectations should we have had??? To not finish better than last years team? Not finish atleast .500 in big ten play. To miss the tournament?

I would say it has failed to meet the slightest of expectations. And the coaching staff, as Weber has described, has not made them better. MOLLYCottling? IMO, players have to be pushed, have to be tested, have to motivated, have to get tougher, play smarter, and improve. Look how many players we have lost in the last five or six years under Bruce? More than I can ever remember. That says to me, either they are recruiting the wrong type of player, or they just do not by what Bruce is selling. Either way, it is hard to recover from that, and we are were we are.

Bruce, has done this group the most injustice. Because he has failed to instill this in them what it takes to win, to overcome. He is the coach! The teacher. The mentor. He steers the ship. Make no mistake, these players can and will play better. But they have bolted on Bruce. New leadership will do a world of good. Sorry Bruce, this is nothing about you being a nice guy or honest. But when you are one of the higher paid coaches in the big ten. You should expect expectations. You do not get paid that kind of salary if there are not expectations.

Currently, it looks like we will miss the big dance for the third time in five years. That is unacceptable no matter how you look at it.

This team is not what it should be! It should be better. Period.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:04 AM   #67
ILLINI IN NE
I'll be at the game with my sons and 3 friends. I'm praying for a win because I've been doing some trash talking.

The Huskers will be without Diaz who is thier best post player. The rest of the team is a scrappy group but has not been playing well lately. Their last home game they were blown out by Michigan. There is a good chance Doc Sadler will also be unemployed at the end of the season.

If you are also there I will be in C section and will try getting the ILL-INI going.

And can anyone tell me why Bruce is upside down on the home page?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:15 AM   #68
4LaCosaNostra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLINI IN NE View Post
I'll be at the game with my sons and 3 friends. I'm praying for a win because I've been doing some trash talking.

The Huskers will be without Diaz who is thier best post player. The rest of the team is a scrappy group but has not been playing well lately. Their last home game they were blown out by Michigan. There is a good chance Doc Sadler will also be unemployed at the end of the season.

If you are also there I will be in C section and will try getting the ILL-INI going.

And can anyone tell me why Bruce is upside down on the home page?
annndddd, this well not be taken advantage of

either; the guards cant get the ball down low, ML does not post up low enough, ML floats around 3 point line, weber does not instruct"no pass to the post, your sitting on the bench" mentality in pre-game
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:26 AM   #69
Dan
Admin
Today's Bruce Weber encounter with the media-

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forum...ad.php?t=17638
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:31 AM   #70
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugmeister View Post

I just got a short text today about a Smart rumor going around the DIA and now spreading to Ubben late yesterday. Heard nothing inside about the team post-Purdue.

To be honest, the team's season hasn't been the hot topic around Ubben the last few days though obviously the team is still working to try to fix things and get to the Dance, I'm sure. BW has his obvious flaws, but one of them is not quitting. He has to know his future here is brief, but he hates losing and wants to succeed with this group and will try to get the team into the Dance however he can (even playing a little triangle and 2 like he did the other night).
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:40 AM   #71
OrangeFever
Lead, don't follow
Quote:
She's in 8th grade. Not likely Jolette is the one who'd be paged. Don't you think she has to be gone, too, after this season? Illinois women's basketball is in the dumpster.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:42 AM   #72
OrangeFever
Lead, don't follow
Quote:
Originally Posted by cea73 View Post
In reading this I can't say a agree with much that is stated here. Where to begin?
Not exactly sure where because I couldn't look it up, where espn had everyone rated,
but the this is where Rivals had this year's incoming class rated:

11. ILLINOIS
2011 commits (National rank)
SF Mycheal Henry (39)
PG Tracy Abrams (58)
PF Mike Shaw (59)
C Nnanna Egwu (97)
SF Devin Langford
PF Ibrahima Djimde

I thought Egwu was the highest rated, but as you can see Rivals had it listed like this, Espn must have had it rated differently.

Either way, this could explain some fans expectations.

Sam the Man, I think it would be fair to say, people had expectations for Sam because:
Played in 111 career games, posting totals of 1,210 points and 355 assists ... Three-year team co-captain ... Started the first six games as a senior before he was sidelined for the remainder of the season by an ankle injury and subsequent surgery ... Averaged 13.1 points and 3.4 assists as a junior, earning second-team All-Missouri Valley Conference honors and second-team NABC All-District 16 accolades ... 2010 MVC All-Tournament Team ... 2010 First-team MVC Scholar-Athlete and NABC Honors Court ... Scored a career-high 31 points vs. Creighton in the MVC Tournament quarterfinal (March 5, 2010) ... Averaged 12.6 points and 3.1 assists as a sophomore ... 2009 Second-team MVC Scholar Athelte ... Averaged 7.7 points and 3.0 assists as a freshman, earning a spot on the MVC All-Newcomer and All-Freshmen Teams.

Just because he played at Bradley, a Mid Major, should not exclude the fact he could play. Granted, the MVC is not the Big Ten, but every year we see mid majors take it to the big teams in the tournament. The Elite conferences of yesteryear are not as Elite. The playing field has been level some what. Just look at Butler making it to the Championship to years in a row.
So to me this is a bit irrelevant. Obviously, he wouldn't have been offered a spot if they didn't think he could play. And lets not forget, with Sam, Bradley beat Illinois just a couple of years ago, no?

Tyler Griffey and Joe Bertrand. If Weber had hoped to get more out of these two, I think Joe has exceeded expectations, considering he barely hit the floor last year whatsoever.
As for Griffey, you have to get on the floor. He started 14 games early on and really struggled at times to find his role in this offense, but in fairness, when you have a legit lottery pick at the center position your opportunities are going to be limited. Weber lost confidence in him, Griffey lost confidence as well. Resulting in him barely seeing the floor until the Michigan game where he went off. Maybe if Weber had stayed with him, we could have grabbed on more win. They have all been fairly close. But who knows?

As far as the incoming freshman class. Well, I know people had expectations, because we were nationally ranked 11 in the country. Personally, I thought, Abrams and Egwu, were going to be the ones that got the most playing time and for the most part they have. But I do not believe anyone thought it if they do not do this or that we do not have a chance. People were excited because of the lack of recruiting from the past and we had finally landed some higher ranked recruits.

Lets not forget, that McCamey was a four year player, and we had no one at the point behind him. That blame goes on Bruce and his staff. It is the only reason, they brought in Maniscalso. And unfortunately, neither Abrams or Sam is a true point guard. But the fans trusted that they were. As we have seen neither really is.

I think Abrams can develop into that. Love his heart, want to see more game.

Myers Leonard. Again, fans have expectations because scouts, other coaches, and former players have gushed with his athleticism and talent. He was also asked to play for the under 19 National Basketball team. Someone else must have seen that potential as well.

It is a bit misleading, the 2.1 points and so on. He averaged less the ten minutes a game last year. And last years team was heavy on upperclassman. We all begged Weber to get him in more last year, but Weber kept in Tisdale. Who never really developed as a true center. ML could have gotten more time, for sure, but last year, just as this, Bruce doesn't go deep into his bench, no matter how many times he has said he would in the past.

And finally D.J. and BP. They are both the most experienced players we have. They are upperclassman. D.J. has pretty much started since his freshman year and BP was used heavily off the bench his freshman year. I think a lot of people remember the Clemson game where we were down by 22, and Paul really brought us back in that game.

That is why there are expectations. We have seen flashes of great play. Richardson, Griffey, Bertrand, Paul, have all been in the program for three years now. Illinois's cupboard was not completely bare. Add, a fifth year senior, and a future lottery pick at center and I think we all expected better than 5-8. I do not believe anyone expected us to win the big ten, but I would be safe to say, they didn't expect to Lose to NW at home. They didn't expect, to get swept by Purdue. They didn't expect, the veterans to regress. They didn't expect our lack of leadership, sloppy play, more turnover than assists, and so on and so.

So in conclusion. I disagree that these players faced unfair expectations. More expectations were put on the upperclassman for sure. As I mentioned four of them have been in the program for three years now, yet they look like they have never run this offense before. There is far too much emphasis on the three point shot. Even though, we heave them up game after game, the coaching staff never makes adjustments. And if they do, these guys aren't listening. Which says to me they have lost confidence in there coach. The tale is wagging the dog.

The biggest expectations were on Weber and his coaching staff. Illinois fans should never settle for middle of the 12 team pack. The criticism comes from fans losing patience with Weber and what he said at the beginning of the season where he mentioned going deeper in his bench. This was supposed to be a new era, no more Tisdale, Davis, Cole, and McCamey.

Those were poor recruiting years.
This years group was highly ranked, we had a legit center who should have matured with a year under his belt. We had four upperclassman with plenty of big ten experience returning. And a fifth year senior, to bring it all together.

What expectations should we have had??? To not finish better than last years team? Not finish atleast .500 in big ten play. To miss the tournament?

I would say it has failed to meet the slightest of expectations. And the coaching staff, as Weber has described, has not made them better. MOLLYCottling? IMO, players have to be pushed, have to be tested, have to motivated, have to get tougher, play smarter, and improve. Look how many players we have lost in the last five or six years under Bruce? More than I can ever remember. That says to me, either they are recruiting the wrong type of player, or they just do not by what Bruce is selling. Either way, it is hard to recover from that, and we are were we are.

Bruce, has done this group the most injustice. Because he has failed to instill this in them what it takes to win, to overcome. He is the coach! The teacher. The mentor. He steers the ship. Make no mistake, these players can and will play better. But they have bolted on Bruce. New leadership will do a world of good. Sorry Bruce, this is nothing about you being a nice guy or honest. But when you are one of the higher paid coaches in the big ten. You should expect expectations. You do not get paid that kind of salary if there are not expectations.

Currently, it looks like we will miss the big dance for the third time in five years. That is unacceptable no matter how you look at it.

This team is not what it should be! It should be better. Period.
Did you take a vacation day to write this?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:47 AM   #73
illinifan31
Orange Krush Cow
I have a feeling the team will get a little bit of a boost once they get to Nebraska, and go back to their old form. Build up momentum for the rest of the season.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:48 AM   #74
Hugh Jorgen
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
ML has contributed to this slide as much as anyone with his inconsistent effort.
Ummmm, right...he should continue to work hard to post up in the middle each time down court to only see our two junior guards hosting 3 pointers at an alarmingly ineffective clip while watching our senior pg lob passes into the post that fly 6 feet out of bounds or that aren't even able to get past the hands of his defender. ML doesn't get frustrated until this stuff continues for awhile...which it does each game.

ML has alot of room for improvement, but I don't blame him one bit for our slide. If it weren't for his consistent double doubles, we'd be worse off than in '07/'08.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:00 PM   #75
CrazedUIFan
UI Fan in QC Land
I like the defense Weber threw in at the Purdue game. Weber said he used it against Mizzou too, but I don't remember seeing it. We may not need to use it against Nebraska, but it could be a great defense to use with some hot shooters.

Of course you have to keep in mind that if we start using it more, it will be scouted more.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »