Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Bruce Weber returned for the Illini Basketball Banquet - Tracy Abrams named team MVP

Closed Thread

Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:34 PM   #26
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Weber: 'It was my obligation to come back'

The central figure of the event — former coach Bruce Weber — admitted he initially didn't want to return for the banquet. But the new Kansas State coach said he accepted the invitation because of the players he recruited and coached before being fired March 9.

"I felt it was my obligation to come back for them," said Weber, the Illini coach for nine seasons.

Really, the atmosphere inside the Holiday Inn ballroom summed up the last half-decade of Illinois basketball: never boring, at times uncomfortable and certainly dramatic.

http://www.illinihq.com/sports/illin...come-back.html
Quote:
Photo Gallery: IL Men's Basketball Banquet 2012

http://www.illinihq.com/multimedia/p...l-banquet-2012
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:27 PM   #27
IlliniRon
Illini Basketball Fan Forever
Gotta love Tracy Abram's cardigan sweater for a casual night out with the ex-coach and teammates. Looks like they had a good time.

Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:42 PM   #28
bleedsorangenblue
I see no orange in Bruce's tie ........ is there some purple in there? Can't really tell from this pic. I guess I would not expect or necessarily want him to wear orange but would think he would want to avoid purple for this night.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:02 AM   #29
jhayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedsorangenblue View Post
I see no orange in Bruce's tie ........ is there some purple in there? Can't really tell from this pic. I guess I would not expect or necessarily want him to wear orange but would think he would want to avoid purple for this night.
It would seem that it is a fairly neutral tie. It would be distasteful to wear a black and purple tie, but a tie with purple in it could be played off.

IMO it is nothing to nitpick at. Just would seem petty to read into a tie at an awards banquet.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:07 AM   #30
bleedsorangenblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhayton View Post
IMO it is nothing to nitpick at. Just would seem petty to read into a tie at an awards banquet.
My tongue was planted firmly in cheek when posting about this but some would take purple in his tie as a huge affront ....... while others might be offended by him wearing orange :rolleyes:
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:41 AM   #31
schlagboy
It's almost as if Bruce never left. Is he going to be attending our games next season too? :laugh:
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:55 AM   #32
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
I liked the part at the end when Weber revealed to everyone that he posted on a local message board under the screen name Orange Fever. :laugh:
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:05 AM   #33
KBLEE
TA had a nice year for a freshman, but MVP? Umm...no.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:27 AM   #34
Illiniwek06
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
I liked the part at the end when Weber revealed to everyone that he posted on a local message board under the screen name Orange Fever. :laugh:
Hahaha. Well played.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:45 AM   #35
bombayIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlagboy View Post
It's almost as if Bruce never left. Is he going to be attending our games next season too? :laugh:

Heard Izzo bought him some tickets for the IL/MSU game.

Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:51 AM   #36
IlliniAmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct3illini View Post
Seems pretty classy of MT to clear out and let Weber come back and enjoy this event, especially given the complaining/whining from Weber and friends about how he was undercut by MT. Can't seeing RG being this gracious, really think we are turning the corner now with solid leadership.
He didn't attend the football banquet either.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:56 AM   #37
scubadunk
Does anyone but me think it is bad that he says "it was his obligation to come back for them" meaning the players. It seams that he is saying he doesnt care as much about the kids as he stated in that he was just fulfilling an obligation instead of wanting to have one last time with the kids he always said he cared so deeply about. I can imagine how hard it would be to come back to a place I was fired from but if I truly cared about the people I would not feel obligated to come back I would want to see them.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:58 AM   #38
IlliniAmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadunk View Post
Does anyone but me think it is bad that he says "it was his obligation to come back for them" meaning the players. It seams that he is saying he doesnt care as much about the kids as he stated in that he was just fulfilling an obligation instead of wanting to have one last time with the kids he always said he cared so deeply about. I can imagine how hard it would be to come back to a place I was fired from but if I truly cared about the people I would not feel obligated to come back I would want to see them.
I think you're getting caught up in semantics. He felt an obligation to the kids because he cares for the kids. If he didn't, he wouldn't feel any obligation to have been there.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:59 AM   #39
pizzaman
Quote:
I think that means he came back for the players, not for himself.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:28 AM   #40
rtbritt
Abrams won the MVP. That's great that he was voted by his teammates and all that...it shows he was heart and soul of team..I guess? But was he really the "Most Valuable Player" on this team? I would say the answer is emphatically NO. Let's take Abrams off the team and see how many games they can win. Now let's take Brandon Paul off the team. How about Meyers Leonard? I would have to say that Leonard or Paul were clearly the Most Valuable Players on this team, even with their boneheadedness.

Oh well, that is my little rant that means nothing!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:30 AM   #41
danielb927
Orange Krush Class of 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbritt View Post
Abrams won the MVP. That's great that he was voted by his teammates and all that...it shows he was heart and soul of team..I guess? But was he really the "Most Valuable Player" on this team? I would say the answer is emphatically NO. Let's take Abrams off the team and see how many games they can win. Now let's take Brandon Paul off the team. How about Meyers Leonard? I would have to say that Leonard or Paul were clearly the Most Valuable Players on this team, even with their boneheadedness.

Oh well, that is my little rant that means nothing!
Value isn't just in-game stats. Tracy is a natural leader and incredibly dedicated by all accounts, and that kind of dedication is valuable because it rubs off on others and motivates them. I agree you have a point because ML and BP are our most valuable guys when it comes to making things happen in the games, but props to Tracy for being that much of a leader to his teammates as a freshman. You just wouldn't see that out of many 19 year old guys, anywhere, especially under as big a spotlight as a DI basketball program.

Former Illini Pride President (2012-2013)
Orange Krush Class of 2013!

Orange Krush Road Trip @ Iowa, Feb. 3, 2010
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:32 AM   #42
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLEE View Post
TA had a nice year for a freshman, but MVP? Umm...no.
Weber said in Klee's article "his MVP vote would have gone to Mike Shaw, who played a minor role, but maintained a positive attitude, regardless."
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:10 AM   #43
Liniouek
Liniouek
I am just now understanding how many people there are out there that are going to attack BW no matter what he does. This guy can't pass gas without someone moaning about it...

And about TA getting the MVP... the TEAM voted on it and THEY decide. There are things that go on outside of what you see on t.v. during a game that are equal to or surpass the efforts on the court. Things that happen in the locker room, living room, classroom, and so on, that we will never know about. Evidently the entire team thought he was the MVP. I will embrace the man who gets the most respect of his teammates. No crying here.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:33 AM   #44
HoopBoss
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post

NOW THAT................... is funny!

Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:36 AM   #45
illinibob
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
I think that means he came back for the players, not for himself.
Bruce is always about somebody else, never about himself. :rolleyes:
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:40 AM   #46
illinibob
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Weber said in Klee's article "his MVP vote would have gone to Mike Shaw, who played a minor role, but maintained a positive attitude, regardless."
I'm sorry, that's weird. Weber's MVP was a kid he refused to play? Why, because Shaw didn't complain about it? Meekness is a fine quality to instill in college BB players.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:59 AM   #47
scubadunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniAmy View Post
I think you're getting caught up in semantics. He felt an obligation to the kids because he cares for the kids. If he didn't, he wouldn't feel any obligation to have been there.
I understand that I just think he kind of stated it poorly (shocking) and it seemed to come of in a way that made it sound like he didnt care but it was his obligation to look like he cared.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:08 AM   #48
Calvin
[bunch of pointless Weber bashing]

MVP to Tracy

Were this a more traditional MVP, I think there would be some legitimate debate. But since this is really a player award, I'm glad to see a strong freshman get it.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:17 AM   #49
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb927 View Post
Value isn't just in-game stats. Tracy is a natural leader and incredibly dedicated by all accounts, and that kind of dedication is valuable because it rubs off on others and motivates them. I agree you have a point because ML and BP are our most valuable guys when it comes to making things happen in the games, but props to Tracy for being that much of a leader to his teammates as a freshman. You just wouldn't see that out of many 19 year old guys, anywhere, especially under as big a spotlight as a DI basketball program.
+1

Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:18 AM   #50
DaytonIllini
Quote:
I understand that I just think he kind of stated it poorly (shocking) and it seemed to come of in a way that made it sound like he didnt care but it was his obligation to look like he cared.
You are nitpicking.

Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »