Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

4/25 Klee Chat

Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Some other notes from Merrillville: Sam Maniscalco was in attendance and plans to play overseas, Roger Powell is still an excellent human and is doing good things at Valpo (went to dinner at Old Chicago and has a bright future in the coaching profession) and a member of Bruce Weber's Kansas State staff (former SIU assistant Brad Korn) was in attendance. John Groce and Jamaal Walker were front and center for Illinois. Both know what they're looking for in a player. I think in 2-3 years you'll know an Illinois prospect when you see one. They fit a profile - tough, attacking, play both ends..

John Groce explained how there are two cardinal sins in his pressure defense: giving up the baseline and allowing a post-entry pass from the top of the key. Both will get you the hook and fresh seat on the bench.

Klee
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Psycho 86
King Monkey Nut
JG seems like a straight forward coach...I like him !! From all accounts , he seems to have earned the players respect and they are responding. Lets hope this leads to good things this fall !! GO ILLINI !!

Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:24 PM   #3
FeelYourPaign
The bit about laying out his defensive system on the table with salt & pepper, ketchup and parmesan cheese makes me sorry I missed this. You don't get that stuff every day
FeelYourPaign is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:45 PM   #4
justsomedude
"Derek- It's a good observation. Surprised the vote for Team MVP didn't get more attention. As I wrote previously, I thought it said a great deal about Tracy Abrams - and just as much about the non-freshmen. They need more leadership from the upperclassmen. Teammates vote for the guys they respect the most. Tracy Abrams certainly is deserving, but it's clear the older players haven't earned the same respect. Yes, I've said for a while that Illinois was never the same after the Ohio State game. The team's mentality changed, no one handled it well and there was a historic collapse to close the season. It's a results-based business, and when you lose 12 of 14 to close a season, that falls on the staff. Never bought the it-was-Mike-Thomas'-fault argument (which is why I never wrote about it). In the previous four seasons here were Illinois' regular-season records in Febuary/March: 5-5, 4-5, 6-4, 3-6. This hasn't been a program that finishes well in recent years. And Mike Thomas wasn't the AD from 2008-11. The Illini currently are going through a 1-on-1 tournament at Ubben Basketball Complex. It's just like you would think - a series of 1-on-1 games between players. What's been learned? This team needs to get a lot tougher. Or Illinois will lose 15 games again. Klee "

Lot's of good stuff in there. Along with Chew's assessment of the roster increases my concern that we're just not going to be ready to make a huge jump, although I'm cautiously optimistic we can get in the tourney.

Also a nice assessment of the past several years which so why it seems disingenuous for Weber and his friends to keep pointing to just this season as though he was wronged. Look forward to hearing Klee and Ford on tonight.
justsomedude is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:44 PM   #5
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomedude View Post
"Derek- It's a good observation. Surprised the vote for Team MVP didn't get more attention. As I wrote previously, I thought it said a great deal about Tracy Abrams - and just as much about the non-freshmen. They need more leadership from the upperclassmen. Teammates vote for the guys they respect the most. Tracy Abrams certainly is deserving, but it's clear the older players haven't earned the same respect. Yes, I've said for a while that Illinois was never the same after the Ohio State game. The team's mentality changed, no one handled it well and there was a historic collapse to close the season. It's a results-based business, and when you lose 12 of 14 to close a season, that falls on the staff. Never bought the it-was-Mike-Thomas'-fault argument (which is why I never wrote about it). In the previous four seasons here were Illinois' regular-season records in Febuary/March: 5-5, 4-5, 6-4, 3-6. This hasn't been a program that finishes well in recent years. And Mike Thomas wasn't the AD from 2008-11. The Illini currently are going through a 1-on-1 tournament at Ubben Basketball Complex. It's just like you would think - a series of 1-on-1 games between players. What's been learned? This team needs to get a lot tougher. Or Illinois will lose 15 games again. Klee "

Lot's of good stuff in there. Along with Chew's assessment of the roster increases my concern that we're just not going to be ready to make a huge jump, although I'm cautiously optimistic we can get in the tourney.

Also a nice assessment of the past several years which so why it seems disingenuous for Weber and his friends to keep pointing to just this season as though he was wronged. Look forward to hearing Klee and Ford on tonight.
That's interesting. Klee spent the entire pre-season telling us how tough the Illinois players were. The guy has some credibility issues in my mind.

Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:48 PM   #6
justsomedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
That's interesting. Klee spent the entire pre-season telling us how tough the Illinois players were. The guy has some credibility issues in my mind.
He's been wrong at time, as he was with the assessment of the players toughness and ability to finish. I'll admit I was wrong with that as well, I thought they showed so much resolve early in the year I was shocked they showed so little down the stretch. I think it does show something that the TA was voted MVP, I'm assuming mostly because of all the freshman, it does question their respect for the upperclassmen.

He's not infallible, but he does have better access to the opinions of the staff (previous and current) more than almost anyone. Sometimes I think you need to read between the lines, but I think it's fair to say the current staff thinks these guys need some work and toughness.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:52 PM   #7
Groundhogday
Quote:
Klee talked about the toughness of the freshmen and Sam Maniscalco. Unfortunately Sam was injured and most of the freshmen were not ready for prime time.

If Klee has credibility issues in my mind they relate to his call to have Jereme Richmond made a team captain as a freshman. Wow, talk about a major misread!

Quote:
He's been wrong at time, as he was with the assessment of the players toughness and ability to finish. I'll admit I was wrong with that as well, I thought they showed so much resolve early in the year I was shocked they showed so little down the stretch. I think it does show something that the TA was voted MVP, I'm assuming mostly because of all the freshman, it does question their respect for the upperclassmen.

He's not infallible, but he does have better access to the opinions of the staff (previous and current) more than almost anyone. Sometimes I think you need to read between the lines, but I think it's fair to say the current staff thinks these guys need some work and toughness.
Agree.

Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:03 PM   #8
DaytonIllini
Quote:

I agree about his access. It's his ability to evaluate the players that I have grave doubts about.

Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:05 PM   #9
justsomedude
Quote:
I agree about his access. It's his ability to evaluate the players that I have grave doubts about.
I tend to agree, he is prone to overrate the players due to his relationships with them.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:39 PM   #10
bradford_illini
Sorry guys gotta disagree.... there's more good info in ONE klee chat than in a WEEK of reports anywhere else.

Quote:
I tend to agree, he is prone to overrate the players due to his relationships with them.
Really? Who are you reading? Klee ALWAYS says our recruits have been overrated and a product of the 'internet hype machine.' He's been right. Look at our record...
bradford_illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:15 PM   #11
carmelillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
The bit about laying out his defensive system on the table with salt & pepper, ketchup and parmesan cheese makes me sorry I missed this. You don't get that stuff every day
The Condiment Defense....love it.
carmelillini is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »