Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old May 8, 2012, 06:33 AM   #1451
BigStan97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ander1345 View Post
You make a valid point, but it's like I said.

Simply having the speed does not make you a better player. You'd have to go back and do a lot of research to prove otherwise. Naming a few names out of a hat doesn't create fact.

But what it boils down to is that we don't have the luxury to be picking at choosing at this point in time. If we can get a talented WR who runs a 4.58 then we should be happy he's there.
100% agree speed is never the only trait u need....u need to be a ball player period...

haha don't get my wrong(I'm trying to not contradict myself here) but i would easily take a 'Ball Player" over a guy with only speed any day***

***just wish since we are in the Big Ten we could get hit both in a few WRs hahaha
Old May 8, 2012, 08:25 AM   #1452
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod2010 View Post
Does that seem odd? I mean there aren't many 5'11" (if that's really his height, could be an inch smaller than that, I'm sure) WRs in the professional game. He might do well in college, but I think he would have a hard time cracking the NFL as a WR.
Who cares? We're recruiting him to play at Illinois. If we restrict ourselves to only recruits suitable for the NFL then we're probably not going to be able to field a team.
Old May 8, 2012, 09:07 AM   #1453
quhawks12
Just to re-emphasize what I said yesterday about Clements. I just watched the 1 on 1 video from the Nike camp in Columbus this past weekend. Not sure if it's premium or not so without giving too much away lets just say Clements WORKED OVER an OL with the initials LT-T. Granted there are no pads and all but it was one initiate contact, swim move and he was by him.

Kid is a steal.
Old May 8, 2012, 09:10 AM   #1454
Ramrod2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
Who cares? We're recruiting him to play at Illinois. If we restrict ourselves to only recruits suitable for the NFL then we're probably not going to be able to field a team.
I wasn't suggesting from an Illinois stand point, but rather the kid. If I was a D-1 recruit I would want coaches telling me what I need to do be successful at not just this level, but the next (or at the very least what I need to do to maximize my opportunity to play at the next level) and I personally don't see WR being his best bet.

Like I said, he may do very well in the college game and if so hopefully he does it for Illinois. Just wondering why he wouldn't think about making a move that might best suit him down the road is all.
Old May 8, 2012, 09:18 AM   #1455
RHITIllini
Was it just me, or did anyone else who saw some of the pictures from that think LTT looked pretty overweight?
Old May 8, 2012, 09:42 AM   #1456
quhawks12
Quote:
I personally don't see WR being his best bet.
Just wondering why he wouldn't think about making a move that might best suit him down the road is all.
Have you seen him play? And I'm guessing if Illinois, Iowa St., Maryland, N. Carolina, NC State, Oklahoma St, Pitt, S. Carolina, Tennessee, Vandy, Wazzou and WVU have all offered him as a WR...he's probably a pretty good WR.
Old May 8, 2012, 09:42 AM   #1457
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHITIllini View Post
Was it just me, or did anyone else who saw some of the pictures from that think LTT looked pretty overweight?
Not sure about overweight? But he looked SLOW against Clements.
Old May 8, 2012, 10:20 AM   #1458
Harry Blackwell
Banned
Quote:
+999999

When U/I becomes a pro team, then we can worry about it!
Old May 8, 2012, 10:31 AM   #1459
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
Just to re-emphasize what I said yesterday about Clements. I just watched the 1 on 1 video from the Nike camp in Columbus this past weekend. Not sure if it's premium or not so without giving too much away lets just say Clements WORKED OVER an OL with the initials LT-T. Granted there are no pads and all but it was one initiate contact, swim move and he was by him.

Kid is a steal.
I know there's ALWAYS a chance but is does he seem like the type who would "dump" us for a hotter chick (i.e. one of the bigger name schools) is they came calling?

Excited to hear about this kids talent, for sure.
Old May 8, 2012, 10:58 AM   #1460
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
I know there's ALWAYS a chance but is does he seem like the type who would "dump" us for a hotter chick (i.e. one of the bigger name schools) is they came calling?

Excited to hear about this kids talent, for sure.
As of right now...no. He's helping recruit other guys to Illinois. BUT, as you said there's ALWAYS a chance.
Old May 8, 2012, 11:02 AM   #1461
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
As of right now...no. He's helping recruit other guys to Illinois. BUT, as you said there's ALWAYS a chance.
Great to hear he's helping Illinois recruit. The best recruiters a school can have are currently committed players.
Old May 8, 2012, 11:14 AM   #1462
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
I wasn't suggesting from an Illinois stand point, but rather the kid. If I was a D-1 recruit I would want coaches telling me what I need to do be successful at not just this level, but the next (or at the very least what I need to do to maximize my opportunity to play at the next level) and I personally don't see WR being his best bet.

Like I said, he may do very well in the college game and if so hopefully he does it for Illinois. Just wondering why he wouldn't think about making a move that might best suit him down the road is all.
It's pretty pointless to worry about, IMO. It's a huge long shot that he's good enough at ANY position to make it to the next level. Not to mention athletes at those positions get switched frequently anyway.
Old May 8, 2012, 12:12 PM   #1463
JIllini79
Banned
Quote:
I'm hoping we can get that 4-star LB that hes friends with.
Old May 8, 2012, 03:36 PM   #1464
Ramrod2010
Quote:
It's pretty pointless to worry about, IMO. It's a huge long shot that he's good enough at ANY position to make it to the next level. Not to mention athletes at those positions get switched frequently anyway.
Very true on both parts.
Old May 8, 2012, 04:03 PM   #1465
Ramrod2010
Quote:
Have you seen him play? And I'm guessing if Illinois, Iowa St., Maryland, N. Carolina, NC State, Oklahoma St, Pitt, S. Carolina, Tennessee, Vandy, Wazzou and WVU have all offered him as a WR...he's probably a pretty good WR.
Nothing outside of highlights (which was confusing because there were several clips of somebody in a different uniform so I have no idea if it was him or not...)

And I'm not saying he can't be a good WR in college. My only question (which was worded somewhat poorly) was whether or not he would be switching (either before or during his college career) in order to try and maximize his draft possibilities down the road.

I think Westervelt said it best... Either way it's a long shot to make the NFL and WRs/DBs get switched all the time, (not to mention that a lot more NFL WRs than I originally thought didn't crack 6'2"...) so I'll just shut up on the subject.
Old May 8, 2012, 06:49 PM   #1466
Illini217
Boy... Looking at laquon treadwells twitter account it would seem like he was already committed to Michigan if you had no idea of what his recruiting situation was.
Old May 8, 2012, 07:16 PM   #1467
Illini125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini217 View Post
Boy... Looking at laquon treadwells twitter account it would seem like he was already committed to Michigan if you had no idea of what his recruiting situation was.
I really wish recruits would stop retweeting tweets from fans saying "come to Michigan blah blah blah" It just encourages other fans to do it more. Leave the recruiting to the coaches. I don't get why people don't understand that.
Old May 9, 2012, 09:58 AM   #1468
JIllini79
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini125 View Post
I really wish recruits would stop retweeting tweets from fans saying "come to Michigan blah blah blah" It just encourages other fans to do it more. Leave the recruiting to the coaches. I don't get why people don't understand that.
The retweeting can get annoying but I disagree about the fans not making a difference. Yeah, it boosts the players' ego but I think that the fact that fans show interest in a recruit really helps factor in to a decision for some players, not all of them but some. I know the majority of the fan actually don't know anything about the player but I think it really does make a difference, maybe not a major one but it's a factor at least.
Old May 9, 2012, 10:27 AM   #1469
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIllini79 View Post
The retweeting can get annoying but I disagree about the fans not making a difference. Yeah, it boosts the players' ego but I think that the fact that fans show interest in a recruit really helps factor in to a decision for some players, not all of them but some. I know the majority of the fan actually don't know anything about the player but I think it really does make a difference, maybe not a major one but it's a factor at least.
It is almost certainly a recruiting violation as well.

Old May 9, 2012, 10:50 AM   #1470
scubadunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
It is almost certainly a recruiting violation as well.
Its not a recruiting violation but it gets awful close to stalking.
Old May 9, 2012, 11:15 AM   #1471
DrewD007
An NCAA Rules & Regulations Guide for the Alumni and Friends of the University of Illinois

Now this is close to 10 years old I think, so things have probably changed.

Quote:
Only institutional staff members are permitted to recruit prospective student-athletes. The NCAA prohibits all boosters from:
• Contacting prospects or the prospect’s relatives or guardian; and
• Calling, writing or contacting a prospect on- or off-campus for recruiting purposes.

Representative of Athletics Interest
NCAA rules refer to boosters as “representatives of the institution’s athletic interests.” These representatives include anyone who has:
• Participated in or has been a member of an organization promoting Illinois athletics programs (e.g., Rebounders, Courtsiders, Quarterback Club and other booster groups);
• Made financial contributions to the athletic department or to an Illinois booster organization;
• Arranged for or provided employment for enrolled student-athletes;
• Assisted or has been requested by Illinois staff to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes;
• Assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their families;
• Participated as a varsity athlete at the University of Illinois; or
• Been involved otherwise in promoting Illinois athletics (including all season ticket holders).
Chances are most people tweeting those kids will end up falling under the definition of booster.
Old May 9, 2012, 11:47 AM   #1472
JIllini79
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
An NCAA Rules & Regulations Guide for the Alumni and Friends of the University of Illinois

Now this is close to 10 years old I think, so things have probably changed.

Chances are most people tweeting those kids will end up falling under the definition of booster.
If that's the case, then every single college programs is committing violations right now. Really, I don't see the harm in fans sending tweets to players that they want on their team. As long as it doesn't involve money being sent to the player, I don't see the problem with fans showing support for their team.
Old May 9, 2012, 11:55 AM   #1473
DrewD007
There's really no way to do anything about it though. If they did try and enforce it, people would pose as fans from other schools and try and get them in trouble.

I personally think it's kind of creepy, but that's just me.
Old May 9, 2012, 12:01 PM   #1474
NorthwesternIllini4
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
There's really no way to do anything about it though. If they did try and enforce it, people would pose as fans from other schools and try and get them in trouble.

I personally think it's kind of creepy, but that's just me.
If you ain't creepin', you ain't tryin'
Old May 9, 2012, 12:46 PM   #1475
SixthandWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwesternIllini4 View Post
If you ain't creepin', you ain't tryin'
Sounds like my dating strategy
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »