Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:45 PM   #16151
redriver
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo99 View Post
This.
Crean runs a tryout every year. A few players are likely playing for their scholarship for next season. If Creek contributes, and others don't, he's safe. Those who don't contribute will get the boot, unless some others don't qualify, have academic issues, or decide to go pro somewhere.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:55 PM   #16152
bigillinfan11
Well it's not to big of a deal but soon Jaquan Lyle will post his list of 10 schools. I'm sure illinois will be on it but like I said not to of a big deal right now
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:48 AM   #16153
Umit9
I did not realize Hyron Edwards was this highly rated.

Does anyone have any informatiion on him other than he is from East Chicago, IN or that he visited? i.e. has anyone watched him and can you give a brief summary on his game?

Just trying to find out more about a target.

ESPN has him at 11th overall and 5'11''
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/ba.../hyron-edwards

Scout has him at #5 PG and 6'1''
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75...=1&nid=6037276

Rivals has him at 4 star and 5'10''
http://rivals.yahoo.com/illinois/bas...krHZMkI9IwsJB4

Go Illini
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:10 AM   #16154
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umit9 View Post
I did not realize Hyron Edwards was this highly rated.

Does anyone have any informatiion on him other than he is from East Chicago, IN or that he visited? i.e. has anyone watched him and can you give a brief summary on his game?

Just trying to find out more about a target.

ESPN has him at 11th overall and 5'11''
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/ba.../hyron-edwards

Scout has him at #5 PG and 6'1''
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75...=1&nid=6037276

Rivals has him at 4 star and 5'10''
http://rivals.yahoo.com/illinois/bas...krHZMkI9IwsJB4

Go Illini
Hyron is the real deal. Very quick PG who can beat his player off the dribble and get into the lane. Good passing abilities and has a nice shot. Just need to work on a quicker release. He's good friends with Matthews and Williams. Adding those 3 would be a monster class, but likely unrealistic.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:13 AM   #16155
illiniobserver22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
Hyron is the real deal. Very quick PG who can beat his player off the dribble and get into the lane. Good passing abilities and has a nice shot. Just need to work on a quicker release. He's good friends with Matthews and Williams. Adding those 3 would be a monster class, but likely unrealistic.
My guess would be he goes to Indiana to be Yogi's heir. Hope I'm wrong, maybe he wants quicker PT.

Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:29 AM   #16156
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniobserver22 View Post
My guess would be he goes to Indiana to be Yogi's heir. Hope I'm wrong, maybe he wants quicker PT.
You are likely right. Hopefully Groce will be able to work his magic. The encouraging thing is that East Chicago is just outside of Chicago so he's not necessarily a true Indiana recruit. And his tight friendship with Matthews and Williams will certainly help too. With Groce at the helm, I really feel good about landing a few of these Top 15 recruits. Give Salty credit for being on this from Day One so hopefully he will keep us informed along the way.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:30 AM   #16157
justsomedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by redriver View Post
Crean runs a tryout every year. A few players are likely playing for their scholarship for next season. If Creek contributes, and others don't, he's safe. Those who don't contribute will get the boot, unless some others don't qualify, have academic issues, or decide to go pro somewhere.
It was clear Crean didn't allow Roth back as a fifth year, and I'm sure he encourages some to look elsewhere, but the reality is I'm sure there will be players who want to look elsewhere when they aren't playing.

Same thing here.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:38 AM   #16158
justsomedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
You are likely right. Hopefully Groce will be able to work his magic. The encouraging thing is that East Chicago is just outside of Chicago so he's not necessarily a true Indiana recruit. And his tight friendship with Matthews and Williams will certainly help too. With Groce at the helm, I really feel good about landing a few of these Top 15 recruits. Give Salty credit for being on this from Day One so hopefully he will keep us informed along the way.
Unfortunately he plays for Indiana Elite, so IU will be given every chance there. Maybe the guys can recruit him to meanstreets or he could switch to Spiece.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:55 AM   #16159
TCTORNADO
Lest we not forget '015 Jalen Coleman. Many people in Indiana think he is the better of Edwards/Coleman. We offered Jalen way back in 6/12 and he has visited C/U.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:03 AM   #16160
justsomedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Lest we not forget '015 Jalen Coleman. Many people in Indiana think he is the better of Edwards/Coleman. We offered Jalen way back in 6/12 and he has visited C/U.
And Coleman does play for Spiece. Hopefully Thomas is allowing Nike to move us up the foodchain.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:03 AM   #16161
joekam
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
That said, I never trust a kid from Indiana. Ever. For anything.

Until we finally land one at least...

Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:04 AM   #16162
Foo G
Can bring the ball up
Jaquan Lyle's top 10:
Quote:
RIP Benji W. ‏@JMamba5 The 10 schools are: Kentucky, Texas, Louisville, IU, Georgetown, Illinois, NC St., Cincinnati, Ohio St., & Tennessee

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:05 AM   #16163
joekam
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo99 View Post
That and the Te'o speech at the pep rally.

2 things that happened at the 11th hour that we couldn't do anything about.
Quote:
and the real answer is his biological brothers and biological Mother didn't want him to leave SB as they see him as a "meal ticket" out of their problems. The foster parents were all good with him coming to C/U and actually encouraged it, but blood overcame all, it's that simple.
Kind of adds insult to injury that we were so close. I wonder if XRM would have really came if D Jack did.

Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:07 AM   #16164
Foo G
Can bring the ball up
Look out for NC State.
It's crazy what they've accomplished the last couple of seasons recruiting-wise.

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:14 AM   #16165
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo G View Post
Jaquan Lyle's top 10:
He needs to get those in alphabetical order!!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:15 AM   #16166
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo G View Post
Jaquan Lyle's top 10:
So realistically, Indiana, Illinois, and Louisville? I just don't see UK landing him unless they miss out on a recruit or two and they normally don't miss. Thoughts?

And why do recruits do a Top 10? I just don't get it. That's not really narrowing it down.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:18 AM   #16167
Foo G
Can bring the ball up
It's possible that he could be a top 5 recruit in another year.
He might be a top priority for UK by then.
It's also conceivable that he changes schools before his sr season and gets out of Evansville.

Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:18 AM   #16168
cjcastan
Quote:
Haven't see any you tube clips or anything, but Coleman is listed as a SG. Wouldn't Edwards be more desirable?

Granted 2015 is a very very long ways away but if we have no transfers or early entries that year we'd still have

- RS Senior DL
- JR KN
- JR MH

at wings

with only JT at the point.

Of course a lot can change from now until then, recruiting is fluid etc etc
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:19 AM   #16169
Railsplitter
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomedude View Post
Unfortunately he plays for Indiana Elite, so IU will be given every chance there. Maybe the guys can recruit him to meanstreets or he could switch to Spiece.
Ifyou listen to Dakich , andI'm not saying you have to agree with him but, ha alwaye refers to the Gary ,Hammond area as the region and those kis usually think of themselves as Chicago kids . Not that it means anything.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:31 AM   #16170
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcastan View Post
Haven't see any you tube clips or anything, but Coleman is listed as a SG. Wouldn't Edwards be more desirable?

Granted 2015 is a very very long ways away but if we have no transfers or early entries that year we'd still have

- RS Senior DL
- JR KN
- JR MH

at wings

with only JT at the point.

Of course a lot can change from now until then, recruiting is fluid etc etc
Coleman is definitely a PG. His size of 6'2" vs Edwards, at best 5'10", is a plus. Some people tempered their excitement on Edwards' July performance. Your right though long way to go on those '015's.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:34 AM   #16171
Noday
Quote:
Both meanstreets and Simeon would be a nice destination for him to win a Championship in highschool. Then an NCAA Championship with Champaign. It would also be amazing if both the Mathew bro's and Vic Law got tired of paying for highschool and transfered to a championship caliber free public highschool.

Last edited by Noday; Oct 30, 2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:38 AM   #16172
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Coleman is definitely a PG. His size of 6'2" vs Edwards, at best 5'10", is a plus. Some people tempered their excitement on Edwards' July performance. Your right though long way to go on those '015's.
I heard that Coleman is now 6'4. Grew 2 inches over the summer.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:48 AM   #16173
Noday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
Ifyou listen to Dakich , andI'm not saying you have to agree with him but, ha alwaye refers to the Gary ,Hammond area as the region and those kis usually think of themselves as Chicago kids . Not that it means anything.
He lives in east CHICAGO so I know for a fact that he considers himself a Chicagoan.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:54 AM   #16174
jhayton
Quote:
It was clear Crean didn't allow Roth back as a fifth year, and I'm sure he encourages some to look elsewhere, but the reality is I'm sure there will be players who want to look elsewhere when they aren't playing.

Same thing here.
It was definitely clear, but it was also clear that in four years Matt Roth was in his second year of Grad school.

I may think Crean is a lower life form barely above Calipari, but in no way can I fault him for asking not renewing a 5th year senior who probably would see his playing time decrease. A scholarship is renewed every year and there is an article out there, can't find it right now, where Roth defends Crean's decision to not renew the scholarship.

I think you are spot on with the second part though. Crean is about as slimy as they get in CBB.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:55 AM   #16175
Foo G
Can bring the ball up
Quote:
N.D. Kendrick ‏@NDkendrick The thing I know about Lyle's list is that all the remaining schools are equal but he has visited 3 schools a bunch. That is the race!
Has he visited Illinois "a bunch"?

Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »