Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:59 PM   #17176
AzIlliniFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
I've never worked through the various scenarios, but from what I've seen, coaches rarely want to roll over scholarships. Given how common transfers are these days, rolling over a scholarship has the potential to leave you short handed in the future.

I would think in general this is true. But dealing with our case specifically, JG hasn't had the time to properly recruit for the 2013 class. Doesn't it make more sense to roll it this late in the game? I'd think under our circumstances with JG and staff being the recruiters we think (hope) they are that at this point in time a 2014 schollie will yield better results than a 2013.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:40 AM   #17177
Illinifn79
Banned
Colbert will not be picking illinois. I just dont see him going that far from home
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:47 AM   #17178
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinifn79 View Post
Colbert will not be picking illinois. I just dont see him going that far from home
Why not? Just a hunch?

I have no idea personally, but most people seem to think it will come down to Illinois and Villanova and probably Miami. I do not think Seton Hall will factor in. But look he will probably pick Seton Hall.

I would have to guess this leaks around noon.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:47 AM   #17179
illini73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinifn79 View Post
Probably not, but supposedly it is down to Nova and UofI. Wait and see I guess (don't hold your breath though).
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:53 AM   #17180
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
I have no idea personally, but most people seem to think it will come down to Illinois and Villanova and probably Miami. I do not think Seton Hall will factor in. But look he will probably pick Seton Hall.

I would have to guess this leaks around noon.
A post from Eric Bossi on Rivals implies Miami is out, so sounds like Nova is the favorite with Illinois having some chance as well.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:55 AM   #17181
Botb9
Realist
The argument for rolling the schollie this year is that if you spend it on some kid who isn't a fit for your program you lose the opportunity to use it on someone who might fit better next year. GHD's point is valid though. Look no further than Xavier to see the mess they're in right now because of transfers and other issues.

Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:56 AM   #17182
Calvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini73 View Post
Probably not, but supposedly it is down to Nova and UofI. Wait and see I guess (don't hold your breath though).
The site he's announcing on covers uconn, syracuse, and NY pro teams. Would seem unlikely he's announcing anyone but syracuse based only on that.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:58 AM   #17183
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
The site he's announcing on covers uconn, syracuse, and NY pro teams. Would seem unlikely he's announcing anyone but syracuse based only on that.
Eh? Syracuse isn't involved with Cobert. 4 schools - Villanova, Seton Hall, Miami and Illinois.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:00 AM   #17184
illini73
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
A post from Eric Bossi on Rivals implies Miami is out, so sounds like Nova is the favorite with Illinois having some chance as well.
I believe family likes the UofI and wants him to attend here, but are we to far away for him? In this one case I wish the family would control the recruitment.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:04 AM   #17185
Dan
Admin
2:00pm CT
Quote:
Austin Colbert to Announce on SNY.tv

The 6-foot-9 power forward from Gill St. Bernard’s will choose from among Illinois, Miami, Seton Hall and Villanova.

Check back here around 3 p.m. for Austin’s video announcement.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/austin-...nce-on-sny-tv/
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:21 AM   #17186
Calvin
Quote:
Eh? Syracuse isn't involved with Cobert. 4 schools - Villanova, Seton Hall, Miami and Illinois.
Opps. Just waking up.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:23 AM   #17187
Kramer116
Quote:
I saw that, oh well I guess we will find out in a few hours.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:24 AM   #17188
Hugh Jorgen
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniKat91 View Post
All I have to say in response to that article is, thank God Smith seems to like Groce (from what I've read in other articles) and Groce's plan for our basketball program. Here's hoping that pipeline becomes a flood over the next few years.
No doubt about it...if Groce can pull in at least Williams in 2015, and Coupet/Norvell in 2016, all I can say is

Simeon will be plentiful with at least 2-3 high D-1 caliber players year in and year out. If Groce can pull those players in to positions of need for us, then we won't have to worry about turning this around quickly.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:46 AM   #17189
BenjIllini
Hoopin Groce Style
Quote:
Brian Snow thinks it's us, lol. I'm just gonna wait and see.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:21 AM   #17190
i11ini
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjIllini View Post
Brian Snow thinks it's us, lol. I'm just gonna wait and see.
Now I'd personally prefer to bank this scholarship in 2014 and make a play for Lyle, Zabo, etc, but I'll leave that up to Groce.

But if we get Colbert, does that almost certainly mean that Shaw will end up transferring? Is there any doubt?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:26 AM   #17191
MitchP1
Wisconsin landed Nigel Hayes this weekend to go along with another PF they already had committed in the same class. Vitto Brown. That certainly helps us in regards to Finke. Wisconsin has 5 committed in 2013 and 1 in 2014 already. Not sure what their scholarship situaiton is, but I can't see them taking yet anouther PF, even in Ryan's system.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:31 AM   #17192
Calvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by i11ini View Post
But if we get Colbert, does that almost certainly mean that Shaw will end up transferring? Is there any doubt?
He's only a soph, it's a new system and coach, and Tyler is graduating --just don't see how you can leap to that conclusion.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:33 AM   #17193
Foo G
Can bring the ball up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botb9 View Post
The argument for rolling the schollie this year is that if you spend it on some kid who isn't a fit for your program you lose the opportunity to use it on someone who might fit better next year. GHD's point is valid though. Look no further than Xavier to see the mess they're in right now because of transfers and other issues.
I don't see it becoming an issue this one time.
I'm not very familiar with Xavier's turnover, but it's only one scholarship right now.
The most I could see us having available for 2014 is 4.
That would be with 2 transfers (still probably not very likely), 1 graduation, and 1 roll-over / 5th year transfer.
This scenario would help a lot with class balance and minimize the impact of a mass exodus, which is probably unlikely to occur with Groce's personality.
I don't see any way that we wouldn't have a full roster of 13 heading into the 2014-2015 season.

Potentially, we could end up with the following class sizes going into '14-'15.
2011 - 5 (assuming one transfer and no early draft entries)
2012 - 1 (Langford)
2013 - 4
2014 - 3 (w/ one 2013 scholarship rolled over)

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:37 AM   #17194
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
He's only a soph, it's a new system and coach, and Tyler is graduating --just don't see how you can leap to that conclusion.
Well if he continues to be out of the rotation and only gets garbage time minutes, it would not be too surprising. But he also has plenty of time to grab a hold of a rotation spot as well.

He needs to start practicing better apparently. He can definitely fill a role on this team with his rebounding and I am sure we will definitely need him to help out this year as we get closer to the B1G play with Egwu's propensity to foul.

Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:55 AM   #17195
combes
Shaw is the fifth big. He is the third power forward. Even if Egwu is in foul trouble, much more likely to play a combination of McLaurin, Henry, and Griffey than to play Shaw. Unless, of course, Shaw earns minutes in practice like LaTulip did two weeks ago and then Langford did last week.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:57 AM   #17196
DG1985
Banned
Quote:
Well if he continues to be out of the rotation and only gets garbage time minutes, it would not be too surprising. But he also has plenty of time to grab a hold of a rotation spot as well.

He needs to start practicing better apparently. He can definitely fill a role on this team with his rebounding and I am sure we will definitely need him to help out this year as we get closer to the B1G play with Egwu's propensity to foul.
yeah, wouldn't be a surprise, but no way a certainty as the one poster implied. I don't even know why I'd consider Colbert a better chance for minutes than a returning Shaw. Don't think I would.

Groce held out the possibility of getting to ten players. I think it's just up to Shaw to make the steps in practice to get those valuable minutes this year that translate into the 6th or 7th man next year and even 5th man minutes against bigger teams.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:03 AM   #17197
SIUC
Banned
if we cant get a stud point guard, or a knock down shooter, or a big guy in the middle thats atheltic beast, then how about we just develop the guys we have. If we get a Colbert type just seems like he isnt a program changer we really need and we basically the same team.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:08 AM   #17198
justsomedude
Quote:

We'll be losing half our post minutes next year and not likely adding any B1G ready players. It wouldn't surprise me if he left, but it also wouldn't surprise me if Groce sells him on staying (unless he wants the ride badly) with so much time available.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:13 AM   #17199
Indicchief
Banned
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin

It would also depend on who we were to sign in 2014. IF we were to sign CA, then we could still see a transfer.

Any one of CA, Lyle or KBD could impact the playing time, in fact, even starting position of the current set of players. I would venture to guess that a CA or Lyle would start within a few weeks and KBD should not be far behind. I do not see the experience of the current set offseting the talent.

Last edited by Indicchief; Nov 12, 2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:45 AM   #17200
illinitownie
I don't mean to knock Colbert by any means, he is a great athlete, but I don't see him contributing much to this team as much compared to who we already have. Also figuring the class imbalance we have with schollies, I almost hope he doesn't pick us so we can roll it to 2014 and pick up a 5th year transfer to fill the spot. But what do I know?
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »