Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:51 PM   #5676
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFail View Post
Beckman on what he tells recruits: "They can make an immediate impact."

What he fails to tell them is that the impact will be against the ground due to poor O-line blocking.
Good one.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:14 PM   #5677
Juice
Kind of a bummer on Spearman, liked the kid. But you don't want someone who doesn't want to be here. It's a hit we can afford to take.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:16 PM   #5678
quhawks12
Spearman is about the only guy we could afford to lose. We desperately need Moseley to stick with us. He's a huge piece to this class.

And don't get me wrong...I want Spearman in this class...a lot. But, LB is about the only spot we can afford to let a guy get away. Maybe RB too??
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:29 PM   #5679
ILLiniJoe32390
meh. Would of liked Reggie to stay home but oh we'll. Have fun at Iowa Reggie. I wonder how all of those other Chicago kids are liking that deicision of going to Iowa.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:29 PM   #5680
SCillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
Spearman is about the only guy we could afford to lose. We desperately need Moseley to stick with us. He's a huge piece to this class.

And don't get me wrong...I want Spearman in this class...a lot. But, LB is about the only spot we can afford to let a guy get away. Maybe RB too??
Agreed. And Tight Ends(though we keep adding offers).
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:41 PM   #5681
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCillini View Post
Agreed. And Tight Ends(though we keep adding offers).
Those are mostly 2014 TE's. In fact I think they all are.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:41 PM   #5682
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLiniJoe32390 View Post
meh. Would of liked Reggie to stay home but oh we'll. Have fun at Iowa Reggie. I wonder how all of those other Chicago kids are liking that deicision of going to Iowa.
I don't think it's over with him and Illinois. There is a chance he comes back.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:53 PM   #5683
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post

Some kids need a lot of attention.

Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:17 PM   #5684
calibear
I was never excited about him coming. However he is a pretty good player.
Also add we have Cooper and Bates coming back, well if they don't transfer.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:44 PM   #5685
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibear View Post
I was never excited about him coming. However he is a pretty good player.
Also add we have Cooper and Bates coming back, well if they don't transfer.
  1. Is it a sure thing Brown goes to the NFL? Don't get me wrong he is a great LB, but with the injuries, subpar season and lack of outstanding measurements (size/speed) I'm not sure this is the time for him to go.
  2. I've been thinking for some time that Bates would be better off at Leo. I haven't heard anything about Bates wanting to transfer.
  3. Not counting those two, our best LBs are Monheim, Svetina and Dickerson (assuming he comes back 100%.) If Brown comes back, that is a good group of four LB for two slots. If not, we will be searching for depth.
  4. Cooper and Grimes have not developed as much as hoped. The jury is still out on Neal (just a freshman.)
  5. This staff seems to want a hard-hitting strong safety for the STAR position. We might see Earnest Thomas move back to the hybrid spot if they can recruit some safeties.

Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:12 PM   #5686
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
  1. Is it a sure thing Brown goes to the NFL? Don't get me wrong he is a great LB, but with the injuries, subpar season and lack of outstanding measurements (size/speed) I'm not sure this is the time for him to go.
  2. I've been thinking for some time that Bates would be better off at Leo. I haven't heard anything about Bates wanting to transfer.
  3. Not counting those two, our best LBs are Monheim, Svetina and Dickerson (assuming he comes back 100%.) If Brown comes back, that is a good group of four LB for two slots. If not, we will be searching for depth.
  4. Cooper and Grimes have not developed as much as hoped. The jury is still out on Neal (just a freshman.)
  5. This staff seems to want a hard-hitting strong safety for the STAR position. We might see Earnest Thomas move back to the hybrid spot if they can recruit some safeties.
If we can get some quality depth at S, I think Thomas would be a stud at STAR and would really help out this defense.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:14 PM   #5687
LincolnIlliniFan
Brown will not be going pro this year and you can take that to the bank. My source is extremely close to brown and the football team. Heard that when spearman was here a couple weeks ago on a visit with another commited recruit that things looked skeptical to brown and the other recruit. I'm not sure who the other recruit was though
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:28 PM   #5688
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnIlliniFan View Post
Brown will not be going pro this year and you can take that to the bank. My source is extremely close to brown and the football team. Heard that when spearman was here a couple weeks ago on a visit with another commited recruit that things looked skeptical to brown and the other recruit. I'm not sure who the other recruit was though
Has your source close to Brown told you anything that JB has said about the coaches and such?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:32 PM   #5689
LincolnIlliniFan
Not really. Hes a really shy person outside of football. I just know that he is focused on getting his degree and he knows the nfl will always be there.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:37 PM   #5690
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Not really. Hes a really shy person outside of football. I just know that he is focused on getting his degree and he knows the nfl will always be there.
Great attitude, thanks for the feedback.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:39 PM   #5691
Groundhogday
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
Great attitude, thanks for the feedback.
Unlike several other star returning players, I have yet to read of Brown taking a dig at the coaches in any way. The guy has been all business. Perhaps LB is the one defensive position I feel good about heading into next season.

Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:42 PM   #5692
Juice
Quote:
Unlike several other star returning players, I have yet to read of Brown taking a dig at the coaches in any way. The guy has been all business. Perhaps LB is the one defensive position I feel good about heading into next season.
I think our DLine will surprise next year. The jury is still out on Spence and the NFL. We have Caldwell who will continue to get bigger and bigger. Teko Powell will get bigger and stronger, same with Vontrell Williams. You add that with guys like Celements, Jackson, douglas and it could be a pleasant surprise.

I think they will be young and I am counting on seeing continuing development throughout the year next year on the o line.

But then again, the d line was also supposed to be a strong point this year.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:51 PM   #5693
DrewD007
Quote:
LB Reggie Spearman:"I'm still committed to Illinois but Iowa really opened up things and I am just really undecided."

@IllinoisRivals
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:59 PM   #5694
Dan
Admin
Quote:
LB Reggie Spearman:"I'm still committed to Illinois but Iowa really opened up things and I am just really undecided." http://illinois.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1436016

http://twitter.com/IllinoisRivals
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:37 PM   #5695
-josh-
Banana no more
Ill be so mad if he goes to Iowa...he'd go from a great Illini ambassador to the antithesis in a heartbeat if he went to the squakeyes.

Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:03 PM   #5696
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
I think our DLine will surprise next year. The jury is still out on Spence and the NFL. We have Caldwell who will continue to get bigger and bigger. Teko Powell will get bigger and stronger, same with Vontrell Williams. You add that with guys like Celements, Jackson, douglas and it could be a pleasant surprise.

I think they will be young and I am counting on seeing continuing development throughout the year next year on the o line.

But then again, the d line was also supposed to be a strong point this year.
I don't know. We are going to be counting on a lot of young guys and/or JC transfers for depth next year on the DL. And I've never been sold on the Teitsma-Howe combo. It would be a big boost to get Spence back, but I'm not optimistic...

Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:19 PM   #5697
SCillini
Quote:
I don't know. We are going to be counting on a lot of young guys and/or JC transfers for depth next year on the DL. And I've never been sold on the Teitsma-Howe combo. It would be a big boost to get Spence back, but I'm not optimistic...
I agree. I believe Spence will earn his degree. He has also been outspoken about the defensive playcalling, and he'll definitely be drafted. I don't see any reason why he would want to come back, especially with next season being potentially worse(if that's possible).
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:42 AM   #5698
calibear
Quhawk good point on Bates actually expected that was where he would play.
Powell needs work on conditioning and technique work for getting off blocks.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:48 AM   #5699
calibear
Sc yah Howe is not close to being there yet, Teitsma on the other hands looks like he is progressing well. He is one guy I see getting push , and in the backfield fairly often and next year potential starter at the 3 technique. My guess next year he weights around to 290 and playing well.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:24 AM   #5700
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
If we can get some quality depth at S, I think Thomas would be a stud at STAR and would really help out this defense.
I totally agree with this.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »