Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Pregame: Illinois at Hawaii, Friday, Novmber 16th, 11:30pm CT

Closed Thread

Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:33 PM   #26
Foo G
CIRCUS TRAMPEZE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgg View Post
Our terrible team in 2007 destroyed a decent, James Harden led ASU team in 2007. The game was over after five minutes when we opened up a 20-0 lead IIRC.

I think it definitely helped.
That's a bit of a stretch considering that was his first college basketball game and he was nothing close to the player he is now.
They also had another NBA player on the ir roster in Jeff Pendergraph.
IIRC, ASU's guard play was atrocious in that game.

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:45 PM   #27
Illini70math
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo G View Post
That's a bit of a stretch considering that was his first college basketball game and he was nothing close to the player he is now.
Yeah, we caught them early, no doubt. Also, they didn't scout us very well, like a lot of the other teams we played early. They were not collapsing on Pruitt yet as they would later in the season while only guarding Trent from the outside. Still, they had a lot of talent, and we drubbed them. We also beat Oklahoma State in Maui, and they were well thought of too.

Keep in mind that at that point UI was still a very intimiating team on a terrific four-year run. One can never know, but if the ref makes the correct call on the "time out call that wasn't" in the Arizona game in Chicago, that season might have turned out differently. It was a strange season in that we started well (through Maui), and we ended well (BTT finals), but we were brutal in between (including player issues).
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:53 PM   #28
ssgg
Banned
Yeah, it was early but he was still by far the best player on that team.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:00 PM   #29
track
Flight tracker to Hawaii

Looking at the flight tracker to Hawaii

First: Lunch, Refreshments / Business: Lunch, Refreshments / Economy: Food for sale

It would have been a nicer experience if the guys could have flown business class. (I'm assuming they went coach)

In any event, a great business trip for the team.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:28 PM   #30
chucktownillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFandom View Post
According to kenpom, they are ranked 229. Looking at their previous box scores, they seem to rely on three-four guys pretty heavily for the bulk of the minutes. They have size and are very forward heavy and have some good experience. This game seems tough even though they may not be ranked as high as St. Francis, but they could pose some match-up problems for our guards.

PG - Brandon Spearman 6'3 Jr
F/G - Hauns Brereton 6'6 Sr
SF - Chrstian Standhardinger 6'8 Jr
C - Vander Joaquim 6'10 Sr

Those seem like the guys that get the heaviest rotation. I think it will be interesting to see if the Illini can wear these guys out with our athleticism and out-rebound/guard their length as a team. Should make for a good game.
Saw where Spearman is a Simeon kid, was a part of one of their championships, musta been the 1st one. Went to Indian Hills CC, where they were very good & he was too. His 1st season with the Rainbows. He might be their wildcard against us. Good pedigree at least. And their center is a beast, the 6'10" kid. Good matchup for us, I think. I think they will definitely give us a better game than Francis did.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:45 PM   #31
ThreeInOne4Ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
This may be the team's flight-
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL300
Boeing 777. Nice. No better way to fly long-distance, IMO...unless you happen to get on Lufthansa's new 747-8 between DC and Frankfurt.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:19 PM   #32
BillyBob1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgg View Post
Our terrible team in 2007 destroyed a decent, James Harden led ASU team in 2007. The game was over after five minutes when we opened up a 20-0 lead IIRC.

I think it definitely helped.
I also remember the team making most of there 3 point shots at the begining of the game, including Rodney Alexander.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:08 PM   #33
Dan
Admin
The Illini have arrived in Honolulu!

Hawaii is 4 hours behind CT, it's 5:10pm there now.

Quote:
After a 9-hour flight the #Illini are in Honolulu. @BP3 @MikeShaw15 @MLaTulip_5 wait for their bags at the airport. http://pic.twitter.com/xhPmqc8J

http://twitter.com/IlliniHoops
Quote:
Amazing the places I've been fortunate to travel to because of basketball #grateful

http://twitter.com/egwu_32
Quote:
They say you pose to get laid when you get to Hawaii and this Lady playin

http://twitter.com/djrich32
Quote:
We've arrived at the Marriott Waikiki. Here's the view from my room's balcony. I find it acceptable. http://instagr.am/p/R_ksfpQBiX/

http://twitter.com/DerrickBurson
This weekend the team will head to Maui-
Quote:
Paradise awaits 8-teams who will participate in the @EASPORTS #Maui2012 Championship Round next week! http://pic.twitter.com/GoTHS5mo

http://twitter.com/EASportsMauiInv

Last edited by Dan; Nov 13, 2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:25 PM   #34
NnannasBananas11
DJ cracks me up:laugh:
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:59 PM   #35
Dan
Admin
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:34 PM   #36
trevdv
Somebody send me to Hawaii!!!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:35 PM   #37
trevdv
Does anybody know if the link is an actual TV link (as in announcers, scoreboard in bottom, etc.) or if it's just a feed from within the stadium?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:36 PM   #38
drumanimal
If my memory is right didn't we beat Hawaii on a last second Brian Randle shot? or was that another game. I think it is a huge advantage for our guys to be able to get a few practices plus an extra game in. Can't wait for the late start on Friday night. Plenty of time for the kool-aid!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:22 PM   #39
IlliniRon
Illini Basketball Fan Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo G View Post
I was there in 2007 and Harden was obviously very talented and played well in the tourney, even as a freshman. Harden highest ceiling player player at the tournament, in my opinion.

Stars for the Illini were Randle, Brock and Rodney Alexander, believe it or not. Alexander got major minutes in Maui and was quite a leaper and scorer at that point of his limited career at Illinois.

Duke and Marquette were the best teams by far, and had a nice competitive game for the championship, with Duke winning as always. Marquette's talented guards gave them a shot that year.

Took the flight back with the OK State team, who we trounced in our final game.

Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:23 PM   #40
chucktownillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumanimal View Post
If my memory is right didn't we beat Hawaii on a last second Brian Randle shot? or was that another game. I think it is a huge advantage for our guys to be able to get a few practices plus an extra game in. Can't wait for the late start on Friday night. Plenty of time for the kool-aid!

Calvin Brock says hello.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:08 PM   #41
zoggle101
Hawaii looked good last night. Definitely will be a test.

Wow, Gonzaga looked good. Edi has really stepped up his game from last year. Karnowski is a bigger center who is effective playing 20 minutes a game. He wears smaller players down with his size and he has the endurance along with skill to be an important factor. The returning cast esp. Edi looked great, and Olynik still isn't competing. Buying into the Bulldogs hype even more and West Virginia will win games this year. They shot horribly and never found a rhythm in Spokane. They'll still vie for fifth or sixth in the conference and a NCAA invite.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:51 AM   #42
wpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
TV: None
That is probably good, because the chances of me making it to 1:30 are low, low, low
I know your paign. I have been sick and can't even make it to 10 pm. And that is after a couple of naps. Perhaps by Friday I will have recovered enough to catch the first half.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:14 AM   #43
Holdemall
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
Hawaii looked good last night. Definitely will be a test.

Wow, Gonzaga looked good. Edi has really stepped up his game from last year. Karnowski is a bigger center who is effective playing 20 minutes a game. He wears smaller players down with his size and he has the endurance along with skill to be an important factor. The returning cast esp. Edi looked great, and Olynik still isn't competing. Buying into the Bulldogs hype even more and West Virginia will win games this year. They shot horribly and never found a rhythm in Spokane. They'll still vie for fifth or sixth in the conference and a NCAA invite.
Dunno, watched the game as well, and WVU was never in it. I felt like WVU was just off, possibly due to travel. WVU is going to struggle in the B12, I reckon-they miss Truck Bryant pretty badly. Truck was able to keep them going when things weren't going their way, and I don't see anyone who can do that for them this year. '
Gonzaga's a good team, but I don't see them as being better than last year's version. They've got a really short bench, and the falloff from Pangos/Bell to Stockton is pretty significant.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:27 AM   #44
scubadunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumanimal View Post
Calvin Brock made the shot to win at Hawaii in 07
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:46 AM   #45
ILL in Iowa
Does LaTulip remind anyone else of Matt Heldman. I know Heldman was a scholarship but they both about the same height, and Heldman was a total gym rat that got the most possible out of his talent. If Latulip ends up being nearly as good as Heldman Uof I got a steal.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:51 AM   #46
Dan
Admin
Quote:
GoodMorning Wurl!!!!!!' Hawaii http://pic.twitter.com/FTHLjP7r

http://twitter.com/djrich32
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:53 AM   #47
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Man I got so drunk in the bar at the team's hotel. There is also a great outdoor grill right there down on the street.

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:42 AM   #48
IlliniTilDeath
Quote:
Originally Posted by illynifan34 View Post
Man I got so drunk in the bar at the team's hotel. There is also a great outdoor grill right there down on the street.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:01 AM   #49
Magoo2
Anyone know where the team is staying while in Maui?

Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:07 AM   #50
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo2 View Post
Anyone know where the team is staying while in Maui?
Sheraton Maui Hotel and Resort.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »