Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:44 PM   #17676
ILLINIFAN2
I saw on the Des Moines news that Peter Jok commits to the Hawkeyes. I saw him play a few times, hope he doesn't hit a lot of 3 pointers against us

http://www.examiner.com/article/iowa...-with-hawkeyes
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:46 PM   #17677
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Audio: Today's John Groce teleconference-

http://www.fightingillini.com/allaccess/?media=352822
It is worth repeating that Groce puts a big emphasis on recruiting to fit specific roles in his system. With this class, he has at least one guy in every role that fits his system (offensively and defensively.) Per the audio, this was his highest priority with this class. This is a big change.

Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:58 PM   #17678
AzIlliniFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnaurt View Post
North Phoenix, Happy Valley Area, I do not know where AZIllini is from but I am thinking Ahwatukee for some reason. AZ, am I right?

Are you in old town area or north Dale?
Im in Chandler, BanananShampoo is in Ahwatukee. I'm heading East Tuesday morning for Thanksgiving in Austin, TX and then on to Salem, Illinois for Christmas. Be back in January. Already chatted w Banana about getting together for a game when I get back, the more the merrier!

To the subject at hand. I had reservations about Colbert but after watching some of his vids and hearing him speak I've changed my opinion. Glad to have him aboard. My excitement is as high as it's been in the past few years! Welcome to our 5 new recruits!

Last edited by AzIlliniFan; Nov 14, 2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:08 PM   #17679
USOI
For JG to have a top 25 class in 7 months is unreal. Jaylon Kendrick Maverick Malcolm and Austin is amazing for a 1st time B1G coach. He went into Simeon and Pulled out 2. 3 Out of 5 recruits are from Illinois. This tells me we should be efficiant in state and out. Groce was the right guy. Think about if we have a good season this year and next I dont see why we cant have a top 15 2014 class.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:10 PM   #17680
gibb52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
It still boggles my mind that someone from my old high school is going to be playing high major basketball. Way to go Malcolm!
B4 your time but I think Brian Leonard was B East as well, played at UI in the 90's. Belleville has been pretty good to the Illini over the yrs.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:27 PM   #17681
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibb52 View Post
B4 your time but I think Brian Leonard was B East as well, played at UI in the 90's. Belleville has been pretty good to the Illini over the yrs.
Maybe Belleville has been good to the Illini, but the Illini certainly weren't good to Brian Leonard from Belleville. My goodness he took a lot of fan abuse.

Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:29 PM   #17682
Larken24
Quote:
Originally Posted by USOI View Post
For JG to have a top 25 class in 7 months is unreal. Jaylon Kendrick Maverick Malcolm and Austin is amazing for a 1st time B1G coach. He went into Simeon and Pulled out 2. 3 Out of 5 recruits are from Illinois. This tells me we should be efficiant in state and out. Groce was the right guy. Think about if we have a good season this year and next I dont see why we cant have a top 15 2014 class.
And don't forget he could have a possible top 5 class in 2015
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:39 PM   #17683
gibb52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Maybe Belleville has been good to the Illini, but the Illini certainly weren't good to Brian Leonard from Belleville. My goodness he took a lot of fan abuse.
I remember that. He was a whipping boy for sure.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:39 PM   #17684
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFreak7 View Post
Just wondering why you feel zabo is a long shot? I remember you said he really liked us before. Has something changed or has it never been that strong? Thanks
I never said that Zabo was a long shot. I was asked who I thought we stood the best chance with out of the three and it's definitely Lyle as of today. They will continue to monitor and recruit Zabo. It's just way too early now.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:40 PM   #17685
USOI
Can someone put there opinion on the odds for us to get KBD
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:45 PM   #17686
OrangeAndBlue217
Banned
Quote:
98%
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:54 PM   #17687
MTILLINOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLINIFAN2 View Post
I saw on the Des Moines news that Peter Jok commits to the Hawkeyes. I saw him play a few times, hope he doesn't hit a lot of 3 pointers against us

http://www.examiner.com/article/iowa...-with-hawkeyes
Interesting. Early on in his high school he was rated higher than the Big 3 2013. IIRC, Weber was looking into Jok last year but he had some attitude issues. Any idea on if he's still a top 100 prospect.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:59 PM   #17688
illinisc
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTILLINOIS View Post
Interesting. Early on in his high school he was rated higher than the Big 3 2013. IIRC, Weber was looking into Jok last year but he had some attitude issues. Any idea on if he's still a top 100 prospect.
He fell in the rankings pretty hard after his knee injury. I think he's outside of the top 150 right now.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:01 PM   #17689
IlliniRunIn07
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
Groce is watching Zabo and Mitchell, but both are long shots to land. Lyle is definitely the likely option of those three, but we still have a long way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
I never said that Zabo was a long shot.
I hate to nitpick, but...
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:04 PM   #17690
schnaurt
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzIlliniFan View Post
Im in Chandler, BanananShampoo is in Ahwatukee. I'm heading East Tuesday morning for Thanksgiving in Austin, TX and then on to Salem, Illinois for Christmas. Be back in January. Already chatted w Banana about getting together for a game when I get back, the more the merrier!

To the subject at hand. I had reservations about Colbert but after watching some of his vids and hearing him speak I've changed my opinion. Glad to have him aboard. My excitement is as high as it's been in the past few years! Welcome to our 5 new recruits!
Give me a little notice on which game and where you are meeting and I will probably be able to meet up.

Great first class and a great week for Illini bball, if we whip Hawaii on Friday. Hoping we can get a KBD verbal as well but I think BTF is hinting at early next week but this is just my guess.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:08 PM   #17691
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniRunIn07 View Post
I hate to nitpick, but...
You got me. Poor phrasing by my part. If Zabo were to commit today, we are a long shot by far. The staff is just in the beginning phases of recruiting him so we will just have to see how things work out. It's way to early to predict where he ends up.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:14 PM   #17692
Dan
Admin
Quote:
VIDEO: Full rundown of John Groce's #Illini class. Hear from @KNunnSG, @malcolmjets23, @maverick_morgan & @JaySwaveyy11 http://illinoishomepage.net/fulltext?nxd_id=437612

http://twitter.com/AaronB_WCIA
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:17 PM   #17693
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Talked to @JaySwaveyy11 tonight after his signing. Said five signees haven't come up with nickname but group is working on it

http://twitter.com/illinihqrecruit
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:20 PM   #17694
DG1985
Quote:
sure, it's a worthless opinion, but at least you'll have one. i'll say 3 in 5 chance we get him.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:21 PM   #17695
Groundhogday
From the WCIA video, it bears repeating that Morgan is a big kid.

Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:22 PM   #17696
DG1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTILLINOIS View Post
really, I feel like the kid has been under discussion for about 6 years. If someone told me today that he had graduated from college I'd have believed them.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:29 PM   #17697
Chilliniwek
D-ILL-ICIOUS FIVE...Possibly lame... A thoughtstarter...
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:35 PM   #17698
Chilliniwek
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG1985 View Post
really, I feel like the kid has been under discussion for about 6 years. If someone told me today that he had graduated from college I'd have believed them.
I thought the same thing. He's like Jess Settles, he never goes away.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:37 PM   #17699
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Nunn, Tate signing with Illinois a good sign of relationship between Smith, Groce

About seven months after Smith sat down with Groce for the first time, Simeon guards Kendrick Nunn and Jaylon Tate on Wednesday signed letters of intent on national signing day to officially become members of Groce's first recruiting class at Illinois.

"Honestly, (I was) just being myself," Groce said. "I think Rob appreciated the fact that I try to be myself, and I appreciate that he tries to be himself. ... To be honest with you, it wasn't that big a deal."

"I was trying to get the job and so was he," Smith said. "He won. They thought he was the better candidate. At this point, so do I. After we had a real conversation and I saw his vision for Illinois was the same as mine, everything was good. I want to help build Illinois basketball. That's what we should all be doing."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...0,186241.story
Quote:
Groce's first recruiting class aims to speed up Illini

Groce said the additions should go a long way toward the fast-paced game he wants to play at Illinois.

"No question, we recruited to our system," Groce said from Hawaii, where Illinois is getting ready for a run of four games. "I felt like one of our primary objectives with this '13 recruiting class was to try and get one at each position in that mold. I think all five of those guys certainly fit that attacking style of play."

David Mercer
Quote:
Groce grabs 5-player recruiting haul

I think it bodes well for the future, and Groce said as much during Wednesday's teleconference from Honolulu, when he said word of mouth from these current recruits is already helping with players who will be a part of future classes.

Tupper

Last edited by Dan; Nov 15, 2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:40 PM   #17700
IlliniTilDeath
Great quote by Smith! That's encouraging!
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »