Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:50 AM   #17776
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
It was the endless litany of thinking that this SG or that SF could be a PG for us that got us into trouble. PG's are born, not made. You either have it in you or you don't. A little like QB. Nobody ever becomes a QB in college if they never played the position in HS. Why would anyone think that a SF or SG can become a PG in college for a highly successful high major college.

The point is we need to recruit TRUE PG's.
That is a good analogy. If anything, you recruit an abundance of high school PG and convert some to SG to improve your ball handing as a team.

Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:02 AM   #17777
cjcastan
Joel Berry

Rivals #22 overall 4*
Scout #4 PG 5*

Offers include Duke / Fla / FSU / KU / MD / Mia / UNC / to$u

He's got next next level hops!

Edit: Whoops thought I was in the recruiting thread!

Last edited by cjcastan; Nov 15, 2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:02 AM   #17778
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Groce: 'We recruited to our system'

Of all the statements John Groce made on a Wednesday teleconference about his first recruiting class while he surveyed the scene from the balcony of the team's hotel in Hawaii (82 degrees and sunny by the way on the island compared to 42 and sunny in Champaign-Urbana), one stood out above the rest.

"We recruited to our system," the Illinois men's basketball head coach said. "I felt like one of our primary objectives with this '13 recruiting class was to try and get a guy at each position that fit that mold of what we're looking for in terms of our aggressive style at both ends of the floor."

Matt Daniels
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:03 AM   #17779
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush Man View Post
So are we out of the conversation for Trey Lyles? On Rivals it has him having interest from 15 schools including UI.
Have heard/seen he is basically a lock from UK.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:03 AM   #17780
ComplementaryColors
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofIChE06 View Post
You can't teach 6'11" 250 lbs... Moral of the story is that it is difficult to find true bigs in that size category. Finding them with an already developed post game gets you into the 2-5 Jalil Okafor types that occur in any given class. There really aren't many of them in HS. So Groce found a big body with potential that he believed the staff could develop.
Maverick's about the same size as Robert Sacre, maybe an inch or two shorter, but about the same weight. Now let's hope he develops into the type of player Sacre was. That's not a far-fetched projection.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:05 AM   #17781
ILL in Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLiniJoe32390 View Post
Someone just posted on scout that they think Jabari is waiting till the end of the season to see how we do before he decides.... Why can't people just face the fact that he isn't comin here?
Maybe he is waiting to see how we do. Crazier things have happened. Djax was a lock here and he ended up elsewhere. With parkers recruitment it seems to change every week, so why not us?
P.S. please don't say because we are not on his list, because that easily changed as well.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:08 AM   #17782
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchFromAtwood View Post
Can anyone tell me why I should be excited about Maverick??? I know he's a big body, but will his skill set prove to be good enough in the B1G? I've seen a couple of videos and I'm not overly impressed... YET! I know college coaches can develop players more than high school coaches can. Is that what we are hoping for out of this kid? Just looking for more of the story on Mav.

Go Illini!
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...-Morgan-130813

Per Rivals, Morgan had high major offers from Minnesota, Iowa State, Rutgers, USC, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech, West Virginia and some of the best mid majors in Xavier (would consider them high major), Dayton, Ohio, Wright State.

He was going to get an offer from Wisconsin if he made his scheduled visit to them but he decided to commit to Illinois instead.

With the severe lack of legit big men in the midwest in 2013, he would have racked up more high major offers if he had waited a few months instead of committing 6/13/12.

He has legit size, don't have to wait for him to bulk up, showed good footwork and hands, has post moves already, good skills for a big guy his size, etc.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:09 AM   #17783
Kramer116
Quote:
Someone just posted on scout that they think Jabari is waiting till the end of the season to see how we do before he decides.... Why can't people just face the fact that he isn't comin here?
Those rumors have been out there for a few weeks now. I doubt it, but if he waits to commit those could have some merit.

Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:11 AM   #17784
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
He has legit size, don't have to wait for him to bulk up, showed good footwork and hands, has post moves already, good skills for a big guy his size, etc.
One would think that Illinois fans would see the value of recruiting a skilled, legitimate BIG man given years of watching Tisdale and Davis battle in the low post.

Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:12 AM   #17785
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComplementaryColors View Post
Maverick's about the same size as Robert Sacre, maybe an inch or two shorter, but about the same weight. Now let's hope he develops into the type of player Sacre was. That's not a far-fetched projection.
MM averaged a double/double this summer in AAU ball. It is difficult to recruit size, but MM certainly has that. He comes from a BB family in that his Dad and I think his Grandpa were all Ohio.
A friend of mine in nearby Middletown says he sees MM wearing his Illini gear all the time right there in Buckeye country. He has wanted to be an Illini ever since he canceled visits to Wisky and Minn while visiting Champaign this summer.
JG will develop MM very nicely.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:15 AM   #17786
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
One would think that Illinois fans would see the value of recruiting a skilled, legitimate BIG man given years of watching Tisdale and Davis battle in the low post.
And we finally recruited a big man combo that makes sense with a "banger" type in Morgan and an athletic PF type in Colbert. Finally.

Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:18 AM   #17787
ChiCityHoops34
Quote:
When you have a program on the rise and the best player in the country says illinois was his "dream school" growing up, its hard to let the kid go. Especially when his starting backcourt on his high school team is also commited to play here.

Its just puzzling to think why illinois wasnt given more of a shot in landing him, i think thats why its hard to accept for some he is not coming here.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:20 AM   #17788
Illiniwek06
Quote:
+1.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:21 AM   #17789
MitchFromAtwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...-Morgan-130813

Per Rivals, Morgan had high major offers from Minnesota, Iowa State, Rutgers, USC, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech, West Virginia and some of the best mid majors in Xavier (would consider them high major), Dayton, Ohio, Wright State.

He was going to get an offer from Wisconsin if he made his scheduled visit to them but he decided to commit to Illinois instead.

With the severe lack of legit big men in the midwest in 2013, he would have racked up more high major offers if he had waited a few months instead of committing 6/13/12.

Don't get me wrong, I totally look forward to what he can do in an Illini uniform. I'm just not feelin' him right now. I hope I'm wrong about him, though!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:30 AM   #17790
Burnt orange and blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniobserver22 View Post
I've seen a lot of similarities between KBD and Nicolas Batum of the Trailblazers, who is having a huge breakout this year. Similar size, length, athleticism and shooting ability.
Noooooooo!!!! No KBD/Batum comparisons until after he commits. Batum is the king of nut punches since the Olympics. KBD needs to be remain far from that kind of association!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:30 AM   #17791
Botb9
Realist
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCityHoops34 View Post
When you have a program on the rise and the best player in the country says illinois was his "dream school" growing up, its hard to let the kid go. Especially when his starting backcourt on his high school team is also commited to play here.

Its just puzzling to think why illinois wasnt given more of a shot in landing him, i think thats why its hard to accept for some he is not coming here.
It is probably a difficult thing for Jabari. He saw what happened to Jereme Richmond, and though he probably knows most of that was on JR's shoulders, it may be hard to shake the feeling that Illinois is in a doldrums that he doesn't want to get caught up in.

There is also the problem that, while they liked Weber a great deal from everything we understood, they don't really know Groce. They understand why Weber was fired (they have to, surely) but that doesn't make the pill any less bitter to swallow.

Also, having every other major school knocking on your door with better prospects at winning an NCAA title makes you start thinking that maybe you need to leave your childhood hero behind. Sad to think about, though.

Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:31 AM   #17792
Botb9
Realist
Quote:
At first I thought you were complimenting them. Then I re-read it.

Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:41 AM   #17793
Kramer116
http://ohiostate.scout.com/2/1239844.html

Quote:
John Groce has to be thrilled with his effort at Illinois. While he came in late and had limited time to put a quality class together he kept Malcolm Hill in the fold and then in what was a huge win over Marquette pulled in a commitment from Kendrick Nunn out of Chicago (Ill.) Simeon. Nunn and Hill should give the Illini firepower on the wing for a long time to come. Also Groce was able to shore up his frontcourt with center Maverick Morgan and power forward Austin Colbert. Both prospects are three-stars, and both had numerous high level offers.

Best Passer: Jaylon Tate, Illinois

Big Ten Rankings
1. Indiana
2. Michigan
3. Illinois
4. Purdue
5. Wisconsin
6. Ohio State
7. Penn State
8. Nebraska
9. Northwestern
10. Minnesota
11. Iowa
12. Michigan State

Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:47 AM   #17794
illveteran1
Joe Henricksen doesn't really seem confident KBD will decide soon or that Illinois is even the leader. He says he feels it's down to Illinois and OSU for his services. This was all from his time on the Tay and Jay show yesterday. I don't know how he got his information, but that's his thoughts fwiw.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:50 AM   #17795
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
This is a case of people taking a fact and twisting it around. Parker has announced he's not signing this week. Which is a smart decision, a recruit of his caliber shouldn't sign an NLOI at all, it does nothing for him other than limit his options. Now it sounds like an Illini fan decided to dream up a scenario that just isn't happening, people get hold of that and now it's some "rumor". :laugh:
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:56 AM   #17796
WizardBill
Illini optimist
Quote:
That is a good analogy. If anything, you recruit an abundance of high school PG and convert some to SG to improve your ball handing as a team.
THIS! I have been converted now. We need PG's. Lots of them. Still think we will make the NCAA, but I have lowered expectations from Final 4 to ITT (in the tournament).
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:57 AM   #17797
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by illveteran1 View Post
Joe Henricksen doesn't really seem confident KBD will decide soon or that Illinois is even the leader. He says he feels it's down to Illinois and OSU for his services. This was all from his time on the Tay and Jay show yesterday. I don't know how he got his information, but that's his thoughts fwiw.
Thanks ilvet, much appreciated recap.

What else did he have to say? Anything else worthwhile?

Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:00 PM   #17798
DG1985
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
This is a case of people taking a fact and twisting it around. Parker has announced he's not signing this week. Which is a smart decision, a recruit of his caliber shouldn't sign an NLOI at all, it does nothing for him other than limit his options. Now it sounds like an Illini fan decided to dream up a scenario that just isn't happening, people get hold of that and now it's some "rumor". :laugh:
Parker was going to sign with Duke on Wednesday but he couldn't find an Illini jersey to wear to school on Tuesday.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:02 PM   #17799
illveteran1
http://tayandj.podbean.com/2012/11/1...oe-henricksen/

There is the link to the podcast...he was very complimentary about Groce and this class, but he said there is a lot out there about KBD that is flat out false. He loved the diversity of the class in terms of all five positions being recruited.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:02 PM   #17800
DG1985
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
It was the endless litany of thinking that this SG or that SF could be a PG for us that got us into trouble. PG's are born, not made. You either have it in you or you don't. A little like QB. Nobody ever becomes a QB in college if they never played the position in HS. Why would anyone think that a SF or SG can become a PG in college for a highly successful high major college.

The point is we need to recruit TRUE PG's.
well, people think that because some number of players have done it. Bruce Douglas comes to mind at an all big ten level. Bardo at a lesser level.

but it's not easy to spot that ahead of time. so banking on it is a mistake
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »