Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:34 PM   #5776
calibear
Anybody have tape on Eric Finney searched last night and today an struck out?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:36 PM   #5777
calibear
Quhawks got it right on Petty he will make a ballhawking fs for us thou I am a little concerned about if he gets another offer.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:37 PM   #5778
Juice
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
Safety.
I'm loving all these defensive guys, but at some point the staff is going to have to get a decent WR committed, not one average JUCO WR and a couple guys we may or may not convert to WR.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:46 PM   #5779
calibear
Regarding dt committing for next year. Douglas and Jackson both play nose tackle Spences position. I would expect if we don't take a nt juco we will see them play. Howe is not really contributing much. Both kids are so big I can see them taking 2 blockers on running plays but will probably need a year of strength an conditioning along with play the playbook to help get much push up the middle.

The 2 juco offers are both 3 technique players with very good offers if we can land one then it would be either a break even or upgrade from Foster this year. Likely an upgrade Cajuste or Delva, who after seeing his tape is even higher rated . Think near 4 star for Cajuste at jc level think 4 or high 4 star for Delva.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:11 PM   #5780
ILLiniJoe32390
Quote:
It's not. HS kid.
Can you share a name?? And if not how about the team? =]
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:44 AM   #5781
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibear View Post
Quhawks got it right on Petty he will make a ballhawking fs for us thou I am a little concerned about if he gets another offer.
Went back and forth on Twitter with Rivals JUCO guy who based on in California. Asked him about Petty and he was confident he would stick with us. Said Petty was very impressed that we were the 1st to offer and loved the fact he would essentially come in and start. He talked to him on Tuesday and he had committed at that point already and was very excited at the opportunity.

Said the same as you...he can play anywhere...but best fit is one of the safety spots. And that he's just a playmaker and ballhawk.

Last edited by quhawks12; Nov 17, 2012 at 05:47 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:44 AM   #5782
quhawks12
We are making headway...

Quote:
Brad Hoiseth ‏@BradHoiseth
Illinois is going JUCO crazy! Nobody has been more active than the Illini in recent weeks. @IllinoisRivals
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:45 AM   #5783
quhawks12
2014 recruits visiting today:

Joining his teammates...

Quote:
Josh Helmholdt ‏@JoshHelmholdt
#Rivals250 Chicago De La Salle OL Jamarco Jones will visit #Illinois tomorrow http://bit.ly/XjlWHO
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:46 AM   #5784
quhawks12
New offer:

Quote:
EDGYTIM.com ‏@EDGYTIM
Niles Ill. Notre Dame junior running back Chris James reports landing his first offer from Illinois today #Illinois
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:48 AM   #5785
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLiniJoe32390 View Post
Can you share a name?? And if not how about the team? =]
Don't get excited. He's committed to a MAC school.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:50 AM   #5786
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibear View Post
Regarding dt committing for next year. Douglas and Jackson both play nose tackle Spences position. I would expect if we don't take a nt juco we will see them play. Howe is not really contributing much. Both kids are so big I can see them taking 2 blockers on running plays but will probably need a year of strength an conditioning along with play the playbook to help get much push up the middle.
The plan I'm guessing was to mix these 2 with Powell and Williams who play the 3 (Gibbs would have too). So we'll have a nice mix of young DT's we just need a band aid the next couple of year until these guys are ready to take on a full load of snaps.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:37 AM   #5787
Juice
Quote:
Don't get excited. He's committed to a MAC school.
Yuck.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:49 AM   #5788
Groundhogday
Quote:
The plan I'm guessing was to mix these 2 with Powell and Williams who play the 3 (Gibbs would have too). So we'll have a nice mix of young DT's we just need a band aid the next couple of year until these guys are ready to take on a full load of snaps.
I'm sure you know this, but if the two freshmen get a lot of snaps we are going to be in trouble. We may not have a choice. Howe and Teitsma may not be B1G players. But freshmen are rarely ready to play DT at the high major level. Even future NFL guys like Liuget and Brent struggled as freshmen. Spence redshirted as a freshman.

Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:04 AM   #5789
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
I'm sure you know this, but if the two freshmen get a lot of snaps we are going to be in trouble. We may not have a choice. Howe and Teitsma may not be B1G players. But freshmen are rarely ready to play DT at the high major level. Even future NFL guys like Liuget and Brent struggled as freshmen. Spence redshirted as a freshman.
I'm hopeful that with Powell getting SOME experience this year that he can come in and play well for a true sophomore. Not dominate but just sort of hold his own.

Boy, if spence would decide to come back it would really help but i'm not holding my breath.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:08 AM   #5790
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
I'm hopeful that with Powell getting SOME experience this year that he can come in and play well for a true sophomore. Not dominate but just sort of hold his own.
It isn't unrealistic to think that Powell could be a decent DT for us next year. Even Williams might be solid coming off a redshirt year. THe trouble we have is with numbers. Losing ALL of the 2011 DTs before they ever played a down really hurts us, particularly after the weak 2010 class.

Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:39 AM   #5791
quhawks12
Quote:
I do know. Read the last point I made

My point was that since our DTs are a depleted group thanks to the lack of attention paid to it in recruiting. Now we are building a good solid base of young guys at both the nose and 3 tech.

BUT, as I said above we need a band aid (JUCOs) until these guys are ready to make an impact.

I agree that it's not unrealistic to expect to get some productive snaps from Powell and Williams next season.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:21 AM   #5792
BigStan97
Zane Petty Safety- 6'1 190

Hull, Thomas III, North, Barton are all returning

Mosley, Day, Dawson, Cazley, Jones, Kelly

Jones, Day, Kelly could all play Safety for us

I think we will look like:

Starters

FS- Petty
SS- Hull (untill he gets injured)

Star LB- Thomas III

we have issues at the Star LB spot: only people on our roster in that position after this year is:

BJ Bello (Redshirting)

thats a major issue i feel and maybe sliding Thomas III over to it since we have Petty would be a good idea
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:24 AM   #5793
BigStan97
Guys like:

North, Barton, Bello, Day, Jones, Kelly, are all going to have to battle it out to make the 2 deep depth chart behind the starters

Petty, Hull, Thomas look to be the projected starters at FS SS and Star LB

If Hull again cant stay healthy then guys like Jones Kelly Day Bello need to be ready to go

I really like Jones and Kelly could provide depth at S positions and or Star LB

BJ Bello really has an opportunity due to terrible lack of depth at the Star position he really needs to progress and step up his game
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:33 PM   #5794
illini6812
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasIllini View Post
I have noticied several JUCO DT offers lately. Does this mean that this staff fully expects Spence to leave after this season?
Spence has made it clear that he is playing his last game at MS today. I'm sure he'll make his "official announcement" after the season is over
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:38 PM   #5795
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini6812 View Post
Spence has made it clear that he is playing his last game at MS today. I'm sure he'll make his "official announcement" after the season is over
Honestly...not losing much with how he's played this year. Hurts depth and hurts to possibly lose 2011 Spence.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:07 PM   #5796
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini6812 View Post
http://fansided.com/2012/11/17/repor...013-nfl-draft/
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:20 PM   #5797
Groundhogday
Quote:
Honestly...not losing much with how he's played this year. Hurts depth and hurts to possibly lose 2011 Spence.
I just don't see Spence drafted very high. He will probably measure at 6' even, 300 lbs tops without much of a frame to add more weight. While he is quick, Spence would really struggle play DE in a 3-4, and isn't big enough to play NG. Even in a 4-3, he is a bit of a tweener.

It sure seems to me that Spence thought he was an NFL player before this season ever started, and also seemed to think he didn't have anything left to prove at this level. I know he is going to go. I don't know if he is going to make it at the next level.

Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:25 PM   #5798
TooHot4Tots
Quote:
I just don't see Spence drafted very high. He will probably measure at 6' even, 300 lbs tops without much of a frame to add more weight. While he is quick, Spence would really struggle play DE in a 3-4, and isn't big enough to play NG. Even in a 4-3, he is a bit of a tweener.

It sure seems to me that Spence thought he was an NFL player before this season ever started, and also seemed to think he didn't have anything left to prove at this level. I know he is going to go. I don't know if he is going to make it at the next level.
Totally agree with this!
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:08 PM   #5799
TooHot4Tots
Evan Panfil committed?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:10 PM   #5800
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooHot4Tots View Post
Evan Panfil committed?
Yes. Not sure what to make of him? He'll RS for weight and strength for sure.

Quote:
2013 DE Evan Panfil from Lincoln-Way Central (Ill.) HS commits to #Illini. Panfil was just offered by Illinois when on an unoffcial visit.

http://twitter.com/IllinoisRivals

Last edited by Dan; Nov 18, 2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Added tweet
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »