Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Conference Realignment Thread (Maryland & Rutgers join the Big Ten conference)

Closed Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:49 AM   #251
AzIlliniFan
Is Notre Dame given a courtesy call offering the 14th spot before moving on to anyone else? I know most say that ship has sailed but I don't see how you do not at least inquire.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:49 AM   #252
HsvIllini
An SEC buddy of mine had an interesting take on this. I'm sure it's not the real reason but it does make some sense - in his opinion if we ever want a true, proper playoff system at least for football, the super conferences need to be more evenly aligned and this gets closer to that. An interesting perspective at least...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:50 AM   #253
illinichick
Wow, can't believe this happened so quickly! A good friend (and huge basketball fan) went to Maryland, so now we'll get to play each other and argue about bball even more. From what I've experienced of the Maryland basketball fanbase, I think they're a great fit.

I live in New Jersey, and I'm not sold on Rutgers. I live 15 minutes away from Rutgers campus and don't even see people wearing Rutgers clothing much. I understand the want to get into the NJ/NY market, but they seem like a weak choice. I guess they are the best option?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:52 AM   #254
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
That timing certainly makes sense. If this goes through with Rutgers as the dance partner, I suppose the ACC adds UConn. This really undercuts Notre Dame, and all but wipes out Big East football. So now maybe they finally do the obvious thing and turn the Big East into a basketball-only east coast conference. All of the Big East football schools can form a new conference without the basketball only schools or turn the Conference USA into a super second tier conference.
ND joined the ACC in all non-football sports correct?

EDIT: found my answer...carry on.

Last edited by AHSIllini32; Nov 19, 2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:56 AM   #255
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Not all the #Terps regents favored the #BigTen move. “I felt there was no time for an opposing view," said regent Tom McMillen.

More from UMD regent Tom McMillen, former congressman: “The decision was all about money no matter how you sugarcoat it,” #Terps #BigTen

http://twitter.com/sunjeffbarker
Quote:
McMillen cast his dissenting vote based on process.

Tom McMillen said that "three or four" Board of Regents were not present to vote.

http://twitter.com/alex_prewitt
Quote:
I had a turtle once, too, Big Ten. You'll forget to feed it, just like I did.

Reminder: the Big Ten just took a team that had to sell tickets on GROUPON.

http://twitter.com/celebrityhottub
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:59 AM   #256
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
That timing certainly makes sense. If this goes through with Rutgers as the dance partner, I suppose the ACC adds UConn. This really undercuts Notre Dame, and all but wipes out Big East football. So now maybe they finally do the obvious thing and turn the Big East into a basketball-only east coast conference. All of the Big East football schools can form a new conference without the basketball only schools or turn the Conference USA into a super second tier conference.
With ND being in the ACC for all sports other than football I'm curious as to why this undercuts them? Just curious.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:59 AM   #257
Dan
Admin
And..Rutgers to the Big Ten tomorrow.
Quote:
Rutgers will announce move to Big Ten on Tuesday, sources told @ESPN

http://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN
Quote:
Will be quick process RT @TomLuicci Rutgers president says AD Tim Pernetti has authority to accept conference invites. No Board ok needed

http://twitter.com/frankthetank111
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:05 AM   #258
Joel Goodson
Coffee is for closers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
With ND being in the ACC for all sports other than football I'm curious as to why this undercuts them? Just curious.
Doesn't undercut ND directly, but it seriously undercuts the ACC. They're losing their Baltimore market & the DC market is no longer owned by them. Definitely a significant blow to the ACC, IMO.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:06 AM   #259
trevdv
Nothing we weren't expecting Saturday... Now the question is how soon do other schools like Georgia Tech or North Carolina follow suit?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:06 AM   #260
shipjumper99
I took all of three seconds to come up with the new logo.
Attached Thumbnails (click for larger image)
(10.7 KB, 63 views)

Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:07 AM   #261
AK Illini
UofI Basketball..off the chain
this is pretty silly
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:12 AM   #262
Buster
Maryland seems like a good fit, but Im still not sold on Rutgers.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:17 AM   #263
Buster
Louisville would seem like a good fit, but Im sure they dont have the balance the Big 10 is looking for.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:18 AM   #264
wpr
I have been skimming the prior posts so I am not sure if someone already mentioned this.

I don't see landing MD as "opening the DC tv market" not Rutgers doing the same in NYC.

If you have an excellent product the people will watch regardless of wether not not a local team is a part of the conference.

Does anyone in the upper midwest watch SEC games on Saturday? How can you do that if Auburn is not in the B1G? Do they watch Alabama or LSU in NYC? Sure they do.

OSU, Michigan, PSU all recruit in NYC and DC already. The market is not going to magically open up if MD or Rutgers joins the B1G.

I wasn't real excited about Penn St or Neb joining the B1G but they have excellent football programs so it made sense. As much as I enjoy a good college basketball game it is the little sister to football.

MD doesn't belong in the Big Ten. Neither does Rutgers. This is very disappointing.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:19 AM   #265
pizzaman
And down goes the traditional Big ten, when ten midwest universities made up an athletic conference. I'm still not wholly buying into Penn State as a big ten member and Nebraska just isn't so this makes no sense to me. I know, follow the money, that's the motivation for everything.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:21 AM   #266
OrangeAndBlue217
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipjumper99 View Post
I took all of three seconds to come up with the new logo.
ahahahahaa
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:23 AM   #267
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpr View Post
I have been skimming the prior posts so I am not sure if someone already mentioned this.

I don't see landing MD as "opening the DC tv market" not Rutgers doing the same in NYC.

If you have an excellent product the people will watch regardless of wether not not a local team is a part of the conference.

Does anyone in the upper midwest watch SEC games on Saturday? How can you do that if Auburn is not in the B1G? Do they watch Alabama or LSU in NYC? Sure they do.
You're asking the wrong questions. It's not about getting people to want to watch Michigan-Ohio State. It's about getting people to want to watch MSU-Purdue, and needing BTN to do it.

Quote:
MD doesn't belong in the Big Ten. Neither does Rutgers. This is very disappointing.
I keep asking for a rationale on this, but nobody really has one.*

*Note: "Cause I don't like it", "It just feels wrong" and "Cause it's not like it used to be" do not qualify as rationale - those are just feelings.

Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:23 AM   #268
Mark Seifert
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinichick View Post
Wow, can't believe this happened so quickly!
And in the fall, no less. Seems like most of the major talk and rumors have taken place over the summer in the previous couple years. And this apparently a done deal just a couple days after it broke.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:24 AM   #269
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Louisville would seem like a good fit, but Im sure they dont have the balance the Big 10 is looking for.
Louisville has as much a chance of joining the Big Ten as EIU does.

Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:28 AM   #270
wpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
You're asking the wrong questions. It's not about getting people to want to watch Michigan-Ohio State. It's about getting people to want to watch MSU-Purdue, and needing BTN to do it.

I keep asking for a rationale on this, but nobody really has one.*

*Note: "Cause I don't like it", "It just feels wrong" and "Cause it's not like it used to be" do not qualify as rationale - those are just feelings.
sorry just because MD or Rut is in the B$G doesn't not mean NYC will start to watch MSU-Purdue. As I already said they will watch the quality games.

The rational that people offer is their feelings. Just because you can't quantify them doesn't mean they don't matter.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:28 AM   #271
aberger
Quote:

OSU, Michigan, PSU all recruit in NYC and DC already. The market is not going to magically open up if MD or Rutgers joins the B1G.

I wasn't real excited about Penn St or Neb joining the B1G but they have excellent football programs so it made sense. As much as I enjoy a good college basketball game it is the little sister to football.

You are missing the point. Nebraska was offered as a football powerhouse in part, and I think in part to destabilize the Big 12 at the time (and possibly lure Texas). This move is to undercut the ACC and add those tv markets. With the Big 10 set to negotiate a monster contract in 2017, this move adds the NY/NJ and Baltimore and DC markets. This is about tv sets and not football fits.

In 10-20 years there will be 3-4 power conferences and everyone else will be light years behind. The next tv deal will be over 1 billion a year.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:29 AM   #272
DrewD007
It's inevitable they'll go to 16, who will the other two be?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:29 AM   #273
Southernillini
So. How long before we get UNC and totally leave Duke twisting in the wind?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:30 AM   #274
jackman404
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
Louisville has as much a chance of joining the Big Ten as EIU does.
Agreed. Academics are not on the research level of the B1G and they offer nothing when it comes to tv dollars. They make a good candidate for the Big 12.

Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:33 AM   #275
wpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by aberger View Post
You are missing the point. Nebraska was offered as a football powerhouse in part, and I think in part to destabilize the Big 12 at the time (and possibly lure Texas). This move is to undercut the ACC and add those tv markets. With the Big 10 set to negotiate a monster contract in 2017, this move adds the NY/NJ and Baltimore and DC markets. This is about tv sets and not football fits.

In 10-20 years there will be 3-4 power conferences and everyone else will be light years behind. The next tv deal will be over 1 billion a year.
You put together a conference that wins the BSC 5-6 times in 10 years and the NCAA about as often and the market will be there without MD or Rut.

I doubt the ACC is running around screaming what will they do now that MD has left. Take Duke or NC out and they will. The Big 12's problem was not Neb leaving. It was Texas was too big for everyone else. Now that they ate a little small piece of humble pie the rest of the members are willing to deal with them.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »