Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Illinois to move to B1G Legends Division in 2014? (Delany denies report)

Closed Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:26 PM   #26
chiefilliniwek09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinifn79 View Post
Just glad to have Iowa on the books again
Agreed. Having lived in the Quad Cities for a while, this rivalry is important.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:29 PM   #27
AutoPoster 3000
Wait ... the alignment of

Michigan + Nebraska + Iowa + Michigan State + Northwestern + Minnesota + Illinois

and

Ohio State + Penn State + Wisconsin + Rutgers + Purdue + Maryland + Indiana

is precisely a North and South division split, other than Wisconsin and Illinois. Swap those two and you could draw a stright line between them that would pass roughly through Peoria. What am I missing?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:33 PM   #28
FeelYourPaign
This seems like a good time to write to the league office and demand that they get division names that mean something.

I honestly cannot remember a single team in either group, as the names are totally meaningless. Two "L" words. Both laudable words, but with no contrast. That's all I get out of it.

N-S or E-W
Obvious contrast. And you get a picture.
Leaders. blehh.
Legends. blehh (notice they are EXACTLY the same?)

Let's do it. Let's be Leaders. Improve this post and send it to all 13 other schools boards. Have the league office besieged by 50,000 letters. Let them know just how much we hate these stupid names !!

The office location is:
1500 West Higgins Road
Park Ridge, IL 60068-6300
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:33 PM   #29
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Yes, I expect Iowa to be improved, but I still like having them on the schedule. In my mind, they are our main conference rival.
Agreed and Iowa tends to go through cycles. They'll probably have a string of 2-3 good years coming up and then a couple years like this one. Ferentz may be gone by then anyways.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:34 PM   #30
DrewD007
Iowa's like a roller coaster. They do well for a couple years and recruiting picks up, but the juniors and seniors are mediocre so they play mediocre and recruiting is mediocre, but then the good recruits are upperclassmen and they do well for a couple years and recruiting picks up, but then the mediocre recruits are then juniors and seniors... and rinse and repeat.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:40 PM   #31
Sure Shot
Banned
So are we now legendary for our lack of leadership?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:44 PM   #32
IllinEye
As an Iowa student from Champaign this makes me very, very happy. Too bad I'll have graduated by the time they make the move over
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:45 PM   #33
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
Iowa's like a roller coaster. They do well for a couple years and recruiting picks up, but the juniors and seniors are mediocre so they play mediocre and recruiting is mediocre, but then the good recruits are upperclassmen and they do well for a couple years and recruiting picks up, but then the mediocre recruits are then juniors and seniors... and rinse and repeat.
Ferentz' recruiting has been kept alive in large measure because we go into the tank every 4-5 years.

Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:47 PM   #34
Dan
Admin
MAP- The New B1G Divisional Alignment in 2014!

Leaders
Indiana
Maryland
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue
Rutgers
Wisconsin

Legends
Illinois
Iowa
Michigan
Michigan State
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern

Last edited by Dan; Nov 19, 2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:51 PM   #35
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
Just. Win. Games.

It's not the B1G's fault we are terrible at football.

We'll never get past denial and into acceptance.

Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:52 PM   #36
THECHIEF11
New B1G Divisions
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:55 PM   #37
skamin7
If I was Wisconsin I would be pissed that they would have to travel so much to the east coast. They should just swap Wisconsin and Michigan St. They are pretty much equal and then we can do the East vs. West. I hate losing that boarder battle.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:56 PM   #38
illinifan4249
This would make us lose one of our trophy games right? I mean we would only have 2 crossovers on a 8 game schedule and we wouldn't play Purdont and Ohio State everyyear so we would have to drop one of them. The only way I could possibly be happy with this would be 9 league games and even then we only play the other teams once every 5 years.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:56 PM   #39
kgwasmyfavorite
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
MAP- The New B1G Divisional Alignment in 2014!

Leaders
Indiana
Maryland
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue
Rutgers
Wisconsin

Legends
Illinois
Iowa
Michigan
Michigan State
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern

Why wouldn't they just switch us and Wisky for a clear geographic line? Making conferences based on who is hot this minute is short sighted. These "balances of power" are surely going to ebb and flow. Shoot, if MD ever starts to recruit D.C. or Rutgers starts to out recruit PedSU in N.J...watch out!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:58 PM   #40
illinihawk16
Lurker
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinEye View Post
As an Iowa student from Champaign this makes me very, very happy. Too bad I'll have graduated by the time they make the move over
As an Illinois student born in Iowa City, I share your thoughts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:03 PM   #41
illinichick
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoPoster 3000 View Post

Michigan + Nebraska + Iowa + Michigan State + Northwestern + Minnesota + Illinois

and

is precisely a North and South division split, other than Wisconsin and Illinois. Swap those two and you could draw a stright line between them that would pass roughly through Peoria. What am I missing?
This makes sense to me too. Why not do it that way? Then at least there's some geographical logic. I do not like being the school that gets juggled around.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:08 PM   #42
troyk
Banned
This move is just awful. Just awful. This is the death of traditional Illinois football.

I'm trying not to be dramatic about this, but I don't see how we came out anywhere but behind here. And we are already playing with half a deck. Wisky just drew an Ace and we drew a deuce.

We lose the game against tOSU (which is a loss but draws people to the stands) and we lose other traditional games. Now, we face off against a much tougher slate and we'll likely never come up for air but maybe once every 20 years. This is awful all the way around. How does Rutgers and Maryland get a better deal here?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:15 PM   #43
brosox
i am guessing that we will get Purdue as our "rivalry" game since we do play them for a trophy every year and OSU, whom we also play for a trophy, will keep Michigan as its rivalry game.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:15 PM   #44
trevdv
FWIW, for those of you who didn't like the Terps and Knights move to the B1G, we won't hardly ever face them since we are in the other division now.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:17 PM   #45
ILL_INI
Well, if Kevin Plank does to Maryland football what Phil Knight did to Oregon, we'll be happy for the move.

Who has the #1 font? 1 1_ 1_ 1 1\I O 1 S
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:29 PM   #46
dgcrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoPoster 3000 View Post

and

Agree with the "swap" between Illinois and Wisconsin. Wisconsin should be in the same division with Minnesota and Iowa.

Is the alignment now being talked about now official or is there still a possibility that it could be modified?

Last edited by dgcrow; Nov 19, 2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:30 PM   #47
deadpool81
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyk View Post
This move is just awful. Just awful. This is the death of traditional Illinois football.

I'm trying not to be dramatic about this, but I don't see how we came out anywhere but behind here. And we are already playing with half a deck. Wisky just drew an Ace and we drew a deuce.

We lose the game against tOSU (which is a loss but draws people to the stands) and we lose other traditional games. Now, we face off against a much tougher slate and we'll likely never come up for air but maybe once every 20 years. This is awful all the way around. How does Rutgers and Maryland get a better deal here?
i dunno... we lose the OSU fan draw, but Nebraska, Mich and Iowa all travel well.

i don't see how anyone in either division is going to beat tOSU on a regular basis. Maybe Mich, but they would never put those two in the same division and lose that as a potential match up for the title game.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:36 PM   #48
AutoPoster 3000
One could make the argument that the legends gives us a 5:1 ratio of traditional rivals vs. interlopers, whereas the leaders would give us 3:3 (assuming PSU is still considered an interloper after 22 years). I think that makes some difference in ticket sales, present on-the-field performance and competition levels notwithstanding, because people (alumni especially) are going to want to see games against Iowa, Minny, MSU, etc., rather than the new schools. But the loss of the Illibuck hurts. Ultimately, individual program strength is so fluid, its hard to figure out how that factors in the long term.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:36 PM   #49
CardiacIllini3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL_INI View Post
Well, if Kevin Plank does to Maryland football what Phil Knight did to Oregon, we'll be happy for the move.

I think UA has the potential to come close to Nike's uni's at Oregon. The new black ops uni from Saturday are better than what UA has come up with in the past. Great uni's can only benefit the BIG.

Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:38 PM   #50
carmelillini
Works for me. Lets play ball.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »