Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:53 AM   #251
Dan
Admin

Rob McColley
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:59 AM   #252
WizardBill
Illini optimist
Also, lived that JG fave props to Illini-nation in the presser.
WizardBill is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:04 AM   #253
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Illini flying high after winning Maui title

"Unbelievable," said Tyler Griffey, one of several Illini heroes against Butler. "I haven't had this much fun playing basketball in a long time. A happy flight home, that's what I'm thinking."

Happy, indeed.

Tournament MVP Brandon Paul led Illinois with 20 points. Tracy Abrams added 17 and Griffey and all-tournament selection D.J. Richardson scored 14 each. Richardson also had nine rebounds and four assists.

Tupper
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:08 AM   #254
Dan
Admin
Quote:
We Needed That

Tyler Griffey needed those two dagger threes. He was great in Maui -- all six games this season, really -- but he still needed a moment. It's his senior year, and the first three years certainly didn't go as he had planned. Now, in his final go around, it couldn't be going better. Those two back-to-back dagger three pointers were The Moment in this game. From a scary 7 point lead to a solid 13 point lead in what seemed like 15 seconds. Attaboy, Tyler.

DJ Richardson needed this Maui win. He was Big Ten Freshman of the Year three years ago, and then sophomore struggles and more junior struggles. By the middle part of last year, he appeared to be so broken that most of us thought he'd never return. Tonight? He's back. 14 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists, and two beautiful baseline drives at key moments in the game that told the world "yes, I'm more than just a three point shooter".

Yes, "the world". It's the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving, and millions of people are out and about. Most of them at bars. With flatscreen TV's. Showing ESPN. From Charlotte to Spokane, bros are leaning over to their bros at the bar and saying "hey man, Illinois looks pretty good."

Man did we need that.

http://alioneye.com/2012/11/22/we-needed-that/
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:09 AM   #255
onebrainmob
Banned
I'VE BEEN CHECKING OUT OTHER BIG TEN TEAMS AND I THINK WE BELONG RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THIS DOGFIGHT OF THE BIG TEN TITLE CHASE BUT WHEN THE BIG TEN SEASON STARTS IF WE PROTECT HOME AND GET A FEW ON THE ROAD ARE RIGHT THERE GO ILLINI
onebrainmob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:10 AM   #256
ILL in Iowa
Keep playing fearless.Keep playing agressiveKeep on winning!GO ILLINI!
ILL in Iowa is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:10 AM   #257
NnannasBananas11
http://mauiinvitational.hostedbyamaz.../dp/B00ABAK63U

Not sure if anyone is posted this, but here are the Maui Champs shirts!
NnannasBananas11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:11 AM   #258
cjcastan
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...in-grand-style

Quote:
The win was a major validation for new coach John Groce, who led Ohio to the Sweet 16 last season and has brought his trademark aggressive offensive and defensive schemes to Champaign this year. The team looks completely transformed from Bruce Weber’s last few underperforming squads.
cjcastan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:13 AM   #259
HeartofaChampion
Would like to have landed DJ Jackson or XRM, but TA's improvement at PG is making it look like the PG position will be in more than capable hands in 2013-14 and 2014-15. It's no longer a big worry, especially if JT or KN can give us quality backup mins there next year.
HeartofaChampion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:21 AM   #260
ChicagoDonJulio
I remember many on here and on many other boards saying let these boys run and play to there strenghts. Guess what??? John Groce system is perfect for this team. Mike Thomas please get that checkbook hell give him part of Beckman pay!!!!
ChicagoDonJulio is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:21 AM   #261
cjcastan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
Would like to have landed DJ Jackson or XRM, but TA's improvement at PG is making it look like the PG position will be in more than capable hands in 2013-14 and 2014-15. It's no longer a big worry, especially if JT or KN can give us quality backup mins there next year.
I think TA will be able to run the system serviceably but honestly if we have a true PG who could break his man down at will, this system with the type of athletes we already get, could be a seismic shift in the B1G.

I didn't want to poo poo too much since we are feeling the love and basking, but there about a billion times where the ball handler could have slipped a pass when the screener rolled to the lane, that would have resulted in either

- a layup / dunk attempt
- a kickout to the weakside for an open 3

We have good court vision and good enough passing but if we had a real true PG this team as composed right now and moving forward with the incoming 2013s could make A LOT of noise in the B1G.

We'll still see JG comb thru 2014 for a difference making PG. If he can't get one then maybe another combo like LA. But you gotta believe if we can get a True PG, the Orange Krush will be blowing the roof off AH in 2014-2015.
cjcastan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:28 AM   #262
sunman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Thanks Dan. Can never get enough video footage.
sunman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:29 AM   #263
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Illini remind Brad Stevens of '07-08 Butler - except better

Stevens said the Fighting Illini resembled the team from his first season as head coach, 2007-08, when the Bulldogs featured 3-point shooters and compiled a 30-4 record.

"They're just bigger, stronger and more athletic than that team was," Stevens said.

Illinois, leading the nation in 3s, sank 10 baskets from the arc by five different players and defeated Butler 78-61 at Lahaina, Hawaii.

Stevens said the system is "perfect" for the team Groce inherited in his first season as Illini coach.

"I think it's going to be one heckuva year for them," Stevens said. "That's a really good basketball team that we just got beat by."

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...polis%20Sports
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:30 AM   #264
IlliniSpine
Banned
Thanks Dan for the footage and for staying up so late!
IlliniSpine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:32 AM   #265
illiniparkie
Time for bed but a shout-out to the players and coaches (and those fans who suffered going to Hawaii to watch the team) for a job well done. Go Illini!
illiniparkie is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:35 AM   #266
Monte Carlo
I really felt that under Coach Groce these kids would blossom and posted such sentiments before the season. I thought there was talent and it just hadn't come to the surface for "some" reason. I also had noted I thought Abrams would be just fine at the point, and don't mind patting myself on the back about that one. However, I never saw DJ being able to make the leap from designated shooter to a complete player and never thought Griffey would do what he is doing. I think all props have to go to Groce and staff for instilling confidence in these kids and bringing them back to life. As has been noted by many, this is as much fun watching an Illini team I have had in some time. Let's enjoy the ride!
Monte Carlo is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:39 AM   #267
illinifan31
Orange Krush Cow
Just a fun little stat. TG according to ESPN has made 10 3 pointers so far this season. Last season he made 16.
illinifan31 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:46 AM   #268
onebrainmob
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTMinded View Post
I officially hate not getting enuff pub from Chicago.
IM FROM CHICAGO AND EVERYBODY I KNOW IS A ILLINI FAN BEATS BEING A BLUE DEMON :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
onebrainmob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:47 AM   #269
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcastan View Post
I think TA will be able to run the system serviceably but honestly if we have a true PG who could break his man down at will, this system with the type of athletes we already get, could be a seismic shift in the B1G.

I didn't want to poo poo too much since we are feeling the love and basking, but there about a billion times where the ball handler could have slipped a pass when the screener rolled to the lane, that would have resulted in either

- a layup / dunk attempt
- a kickout to the weakside for an open 3
I agree. Abrams appears to be a tough PG who isn't going to hurt us: more than I expected. But he isn't a natural at driving and dishing. Even on Griffey's first of two threes, Tyler was standing at the arc wide open for far too long before Abrams finally fumbled a pass in his direction.

Is Abram's ankle okay? He was hobbling a bit and I thought "oh no." We have had enough problems with ankles.

Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:50 AM   #270
KJKobs
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniparkie View Post
Time for bed but a shout-out to the players and coaches (and those fans who suffered going to Hawaii to watch the team) for a job well done. Go Illini!
I doubt any fans who made the trip "suffered"

Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:00 AM   #271
IlliniRunIn07
I stayed up for the other two games but fell asleep for this one. Tell me how that happens Luckily, I was able to watch due to the magic that is DVR. Even though I got a late start, it was awesome!

The best part about this game was we did not appear to be as sharp as the previous two games, and we still won by 17 while facing our toughest competition. JG must have urged getting to the line during halftime, because we only had 4 free shots before the half, and somewhere around 3 times that after halftime. What a terrific start to the season. No matter what happens the rest of the way, this is something no one can take away from our seniors.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
IlliniRunIn07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:01 AM   #272
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Illinois Postgame Quotes - Butler Game

Q. This is your first year at Illinois. Are you surprised at how well things have worked out so far?

John Groce: Obviously do you envision sitting at 6 0? I'm a little different. These guys will tell you. I focus on practice every day. At least I hope they'll tell you we come to practice ready to go every day. We try to get better every day and let the results take care of themselves. We don't get caught up in necessarily thinking two games ahead or a game ahead.

Obviously, it's a great start, and I'm happy for these guys. These guys have been through a lot, especially the seniors, Tyler and Brandon and D.J.; and Sam has been a tremendous addition to our class of seniors as well. So I'm happy for those guys. Really happy for Illini Nation. I had no idea we had sold that many. It was unbelievable the turnout that we had. Tremendous support from our fans, so we're blessed and thankful for that as well.

http://www.fightingillini.com/sports...112212aao.html
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:01 AM   #273
ChiefIlliniwek
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesLawrence View Post
First coach since 1947 to start with our Illini 6-0 !!
I think we started 6-0 in the 04-05 season... maybe even better...

Not trying to pick fights or take ANYTHING away from what this team did this week. A GREAT start to Groce years. GO ILLINI

ChiefIlliniwek is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:03 AM   #274
Dan
Admin

Rob McColley
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:05 AM   #275
Future Walk-On
I watched the game at two different bars in Peoria first half in one second half I one and there was 0 support for the illini in either

Crazy to me
Future Walk-On is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »