Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois 78, Butler 61 POSTGAME

Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:08 AM   #276
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antomine View Post
However, I don't think that we have had this amount of pure raw talent since 1989. the 04-05 team was amazing, however, I believe that the raw talent of this year is better than that team.
Sorry, it is not remotely close. The 04-05 team was FAR, FAR more talented than this year's squad. Deron Williams was one of the most talented players in college basketball that year. Luther Head spent 6 years in the NBA. James Augustine spent two years in the NBA. Dee Brown had 68 games in the NBA. Powell had a cup of coffee in the league.

I understand everyone is excited with the big win over Butler, but perhaps it is best not to post until you have sobered up.

Quote:
Weber squeeked by delaware by 3 points with their best player out for half the game. I don't want to turn this into a comparison of coaches.
Then don't. In case you didn't notice, it took a last second shot for Illinois to beat Hawai'i a couple of days ago. Delaware is a lot better than Hawai'i. And our win over Chaminade (division 2) was hardly impressive. Just no need to go there.

Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:15 AM   #277
Alfonz24
They have done it Tess!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIlliniwek View Post
I think we started 6-0 in the 04-05 season... maybe even better...

Not trying to pick fights or take ANYTHING away from what this team did this week. A GREAT start to Groce years. GO ILLINI

Illini coaching career, not start of a season when coaching the prior season.
Alfonz24 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:17 AM   #278
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonz24 View Post
Illini coaching career, not start of a season when coaching the prior season.
Yes. Heck, we started last year 10-0 and I'm sure we have started many, many seasons 6-0. But we haven't had all that many new coaches and most of them inherit a rebuilding job.

Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:31 AM   #279
IlliniLaw05
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Sorry, it is not remotely close. The 04-05 team was FAR, FAR more talented than this year's squad. Deron Williams was one of the most talented players in college basketball that year. Luther Head spent 6 years in the NBA. James Augustine spent two years in the NBA. Dee Brown had 68 games in the NBA. Powell had a cup of coffee in the league.

I understand everyone is excited with the big win over Butler, but perhaps it is best not to post until you have sobered up.

Then don't. In case you didn't notice, it took a last second shot for Illinois to beat Hawai'i a couple of days ago. Delaware is a lot better than Hawai'i. And our win over Chaminade (division 2) was hardly impressive. Just no need to go there.

I've noticed, be it football recruiting or basketball or whatever, you're usually the one who tries to bring everyone back down to earth. Not a criticism, as I suffer from skepticism and guarded optimism when it comes to Illini sports too, just an observation. I've recently been trying to enjoy the moment and not over-analyzing the macro view of Illini sports. For example, even though I recognize this basketball team has areas of weakness, will face stiffer competition ahead and will likely have its share of disappointing moments this season, tonight I also feel really good about this team, this coach and the direction of the program.
IlliniLaw05 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:33 AM   #280
IlliniSpine
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Walk-On View Post
I watched the game at two different bars in Peoria first half in one second half I one and there was 0 support for the illini in either

Crazy to me
If we build it (wins), they will come.
IlliniSpine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:36 AM   #281
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniLaw05 View Post
I've recently been trying to enjoy the moment and not over-analyzing the macro view of Illini sports.
I don't think it takes over-analyzing to see that the 04-05 team was far more talented than the current team. I'd guess that most 7-11 clerks could handle that level of analysis, even when stoned.

Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:38 AM   #282
IlliniSpine
Banned
Quote:
I've noticed, be it football recruiting or basketball or whatever, you're usually the one who tries to bring everyone back down to earth. Not a criticism, as I suffer from skepticism and guarded optimism when it comes to Illini sports too, just an observation. I've recently been trying to enjoy the moment and not over-analyzing the macro view of Illini sports. For example, even though I recognize this basketball team has areas of weakness, will face stiffer competition ahead and will likely have its share of disappointing moments this season, tonight I also feel really good about this team, this coach and the direction of the program.
Also remember Brad Stevens is 8-4 against the big ten.

We just beat them.

If we continue to progress, we could be good and find our way into the NCAA.

Early? Yes. However, not only do we have the potential but the right SYSTEM in place with coaches, players, etc all firing on all 12 cylinders...so far.

Chance for let down? Sure. Injuries, off court issues, etc. However, I just hope we stay healthy and focused. This train seems infinitely harder to derail than last years team.

Same players but this is a whole NEW TEAM.
IlliniSpine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:43 AM   #283
OrangeKrush
Banned
Quote:
He's completely right though. It's idiotic to compare this team to the 04-05 team and especially to say this team has more talent. This team is good but let's calm down.
OrangeKrush is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:59 AM   #284
IlliniLaw05
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Yes. Heck, we started last year 10-0 and I'm sure we have started many, many seasons 6-0. But we haven't had all that many new coaches and most of them inherit a rebuilding job.

Again, I actually agree with both your points and would hope fans temper their excitement if only to lessen the disappointment when the team loses some games. Antomine is really excited after a big win, so I say let him/her enjoy the moment. My guess is that style of play, i.e. unselfishness, toughness, etc. is what is drawing the comparisons to the '04-'05 team and that can be misinterpreted as comparable talent.
IlliniLaw05 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:05 AM   #285
bmb777
Banned
Outstanding! Great win! Nice to be excited about Illinois basketball again!
bmb777 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:43 AM   #286
rackers
Can we just enjoy our outstanding success in Maui for one moment before thrillkillers dismiss enthusiasm and let us all know "this is not the 2005 Illini?"

This is not the Illini from 1990 to 2011, minus the Flyin' and 2005, either. Can we just enjoy something for a few days?

It's obvious Groce has these guys believing they are more than capable of playing against anyone in the nation. I am loving the way they are playing compared to the past few years.
rackers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:32 AM   #287
kbo007
Quote:

I have followed Illini Basketball recruiting for over 20 years. We have had some good teams, we have had some great teams, we have even had some elite teams. However, I don't think that we have had this amount of pure raw talent since 1989. the 04-05 team was amazing, however, I believe that the raw talent of this year is better than that team. The 2004-2005 team was special. Those kids fit together perfectly as a team. We have more talent than then. Groce is making them believe that they are special. I can see it in their body language in the game, I can see it in the timeouts, I can see it in the results we have gotten so far.

Weber squeeked by delaware by 3 points with their best player out for half the game. I don't want to turn this into a comparison of coaches. I want to steer this towards a comparison of attitude, desire, and execution. I was luke warm with the coaching hire. I was completely for the dissmal of weber, however, I didn't think Groce was the answer. I am here to eat some crow. This team has an attitude. This team has a purpose, this team will surpass even the most orange tinted glasses fan.

I am on board. Long Live Coach Groce.

Someone put a handle of Vodka in the Orange Kool-aide!

Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:35 AM   #288
lightrefined
Now that we've slept!

If the HUSTLE & INTENSITY stay at the current level, not only will we win, we will all be worn out!
Really fun to watch.
Thank You Coach Groce!! Thank You Players!!
GO ILLINI!!!!!!!!!!
lightrefined is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:48 AM   #289
zpfled
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKrush View Post
He's completely right though. It's idiotic to compare this team to the 04-05 team and especially to say this team has more talent. This team is good but let's calm down.
It's dumb to say this team is more talented, but not dumb to compare the two. So far, we're seeing the same unselfish, great-shooting, suffocating defense style of play. We're seeing a team led by three very good guards. The similarities are there.

Brandon Paul is looking like he's ready for a breakout season. If he continues this level of play, he will finish his career better than Luther Head, who was probably the best college player on the 04-05 team.

I think we all know that it's very early, our toughest tests are in front of us, and we started out 10-0 last year, yada yada. But let's not rule out all hope and fun just for the sake of being overly realistic.
zpfled is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:06 AM   #290
IlliniRunIn07
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpfled View Post

I think we all know that it's very early, our toughest tests are in front of us, and we started out 10-0 last year, yada yada. But let's not rule out all hope and fun just for the sake of being overly realistic.
+1

We had a great week as a program. I agree it's silly to think this team had more raw talent than the 04-05 team. By default, we should have less talent than last season. That doesn't mean we should take all the credit away from this team. JG hasn't given us a reason to doubt him yet, so I'm planning on enjoying the ride for now.

Robert archibalds tweet said it best. We can't let last year's team define this year's team. Let's just be all in. We still might take our licks this year, but JG has the arrow pointing so far up its ridiculous.
IlliniRunIn07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:19 AM   #291
IlliniRunIn07
I just have to mention that this team has absolutely destroyed my sleep schedule. And I couldn't be happier.
IlliniRunIn07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:22 AM   #292
Ramrod2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIlliniwek View Post
I think we started 6-0 in the 04-05 season... maybe even better...

Not trying to pick fights or take ANYTHING away from what this team did this week. A GREAT start to Groce years. GO ILLINI

I believe no other coach has started 6-0 in his first year at Illinois.
Ramrod2010 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:27 AM   #293
Psycho 86
King Monkey Nut
Great to see this team having fun and playin hard !! Looking forward to each game !!

Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:29 AM   #294
Dan
Admin

Rob McColley
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:35 AM   #295
riles55
Banned
My turkey will taste even better today after last nights big tourney win. Regardless of what happens this year it is very apparent that Illinois basketball is going to be fun again and I thank you for that Mr. Groce.
riles55 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:50 AM   #296
illinicardinalfan2
I fully admit that when we hired Grove I was mad. I thought, John Groce are you kidding me? My dad told me to be patient and it sounds like he's a good recruiter. Then I was even more upset that he wanted nothing to do with Jerrance. Started to warm up then he landed Nunn and I was shocked. After watching Illinois play the last 4 games I couldn't have been more wrong about Coach Groce. Just watch how aggressive, our passing, dribbling. It's a complete transformation from what we've seen the last several years. Thank you Coach Groce!
illinicardinalfan2 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:53 AM   #297
ctblaisdell83
Well, we've played a quality opponent and won...we've come back from a large deficit to win...style of play is exciting...we are trending upward in recruiting and re-becoming a national program (albeit a little at a time).

So, I'm confident we can proclaim the transition from Dr. No (DJ! Noooooooooo!) to Coach Yes-We-Can to be a great success.

Next steps to greatness - beat the candy stripers in their substandard Ass'y Hall, B1G Tourney win, and top 4 seed in NCAA...why not do it all this year

ctblaisdell83 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:59 AM   #298
Umit9
Congratulations to Illinois for winning the tournament. What a week it was in Hawaii.

Best of luck to the Illini for the rest of the year. Happy Thanksgiving Illini Nation!

Go Illini
Umit9 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:09 AM   #299
AK Illini
Banned
We certainly had the best possible draw but we took care of business when we had to (hello utah and bradley) and threw down an impressive win over a well coached Butler team. We held comfortable wins from wire to wire and looked good doing it. Groce is looking like a solid hire.
AK Illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:10 AM   #300
breadman
Go SENIORS!!!! Are you kidding me? Lead. Lead. Lead, and then Lead some more!!!
breadman is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »