Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:42 AM   #28
Judgesmails
Banned
Illini 10
NW 34
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:17 AM   #29
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
I've got a strange feeling about this one.

NU 14
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:43 AM   #30
SixthandWhite
I really want this win, just can't see it happening though.

N- 34
I- 17

Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:15 AM   #31
illinifan4249
10th game of the year that I will be attending- thanks Block-I! I think we may come out fired up and pull out a suprise one.

Illini- 20
NW - 17
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:46 AM   #32
ILL_INI
Coach has had this game circled all year. The Illini have been holding back. Every practice was really about winning this game. Go Illini!

Who has the #1 font? 1 1_ 1_ 1 1\I O 1 S
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:30 AM   #33
Illiniferret
Northwestern 47 Illinois 6 Fitzy punks Chewbecka for mouthing off all preseason.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:40 AM   #34
NuclearIllini
I'll be at this game hoping for at least something to get excited about, a field goal, maybe even a touchdown.

NU - 31
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:10 PM   #35
IlliniFail
What do you guys think about Tim Beckman referring to Northwestern as "that team upstate?" I think it is rather silly and a little sad. I don't care enough about Northwestern to not say their name. When you say I don't care if we go 1-7 in the conference as long as we beat ________! Is Northwestern really the number one answer? Sure we all have our different answers. And yes I care more about beating NU than Minnesota or Indiana. But let's not force this into something more than it is. This isn't Ohio St vs. Michigan, nor do I want it to be. I would rather have Beckman putting this much emphasis on beating OSU or UM.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:52 PM   #36
IlliniOllie
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFail View Post
What do you guys think about Tim Beckman referring to Northwestern as "that team upstate?" I think it is rather silly and a little sad. I don't care enough about Northwestern to not say their name. When you say I don't care if we go 1-7 in the conference as long as we beat ________! Is Northwestern really the number one answer? Sure we all have our different answers. And yes I care more about beating NU than Minnesota or Indiana. But let's not force this into something more than it is. This isn't Ohio St vs. Michigan, nor do I want it to be. I would rather have Beckman putting this much emphasis on beating OSU or UM.
If it was original, I'd understand it a little more, but it's just the same thing that Fitzy has been doing for years.

It's one of those things that wouldn't bother anyone if the team was 9-2 (see also: dipping on the sidelines), but when you're 2-9, everything is reflected in a negative light.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:16 PM   #37
IlliniFail
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniOllie View Post
If it was original, I'd understand it a little more, but it's just the same thing that Fitzy has been doing for years.

It's one of those things that wouldn't bother anyone if the team was 9-2 (see also: dipping on the sidelines), but when you're 2-9, everything is reflected in a negative light.
It's not original because Woody Hayes came up with it decades ago.

I would have to say a coach that could get us to 9-2 wouldn't be resorting to this fluff. In under a year this coach has "that team upstate" the tobacco incident, the Penn St fire sale, LASAGNA, steaks and cakes, beans and weenies, slogans, new slogans for the second half of the season, wristbands, double secret media freeze out training camps. It is as if Beckman read Coaching College Football For Dummies and did everything in the chapter Suggestions To Motivate Your Team.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:57 PM   #38
twincityillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Game 12 Notes: Illinois at Northwestern

TV Announcers: Eric Collins, Derek Rackley and Jon Jansen
With such an esteemed crew working the game, this has HUGE GAME written all over it. The fact that we could pull sideline reporter heavyweight Jon Jansen from the Purdue vs. Indiana game speaks volumes.

NU 24
Illini 20
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:03 AM   #39
illinois_hustle
My Kool-Aid needs vodka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom Stoddard View Post
I've got a strange feeling about this one.
Tums, Rolaids, or Pepto Bismol if high, GAS-X (Simethicone) if low.

Illinois 13
Evanston's School!! 27
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:45 AM   #40
kbo007
No way we win this one.

ILL - 10
Kitties - 38

Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:54 AM   #41
Oskee Mayer
Best we can hope for is another JB knee-to-the-groin shot.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:32 PM   #42
Buster
Maybe some of the basketball mojo will spill over to football this week
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:02 PM   #43
Dan
Admin
Quote:
#Illini go for 3rd straight Land of Lincoln Trophy win tomorrow in Evanston. #B1G #RivalryWeek #OurState #OurTeam http://pic.twitter.com/rS78n2Ww

http://twitter.com/IlliniFootball
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:11 PM   #44
lexwaldez
I was suprised to see people think this could be close.

NU - 42

OUR STATE! OUR APOLOGIES!
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:32 PM   #45
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFail View Post
I'd just like to be able to beat anybody in the Big 10. It is great to think we can ever compete with UM or OSU but right now we need to concentrate on Indiana.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:00 PM   #46
Judgesmails
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexwaldez View Post

NU - 42

+1
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:29 PM   #47
illinois_hustle
My Kool-Aid needs vodka
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexwaldez View Post

NU - 42

:laugh: That's pretty good!
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:33 PM   #48
Dan
Admin
Quote:
NU calmly wants to recapture Land of Lincoln trophy

Determined Wildcats unperturbed over insults from Illinois after last year's setback

They celebrated last season by blaring "Sweet Home Chicago" over the Memorial Stadium loudspeakers. The scoreboard flashed: "The State of Illinois' Undefeated Big Ten Team."

If that wasn't subtle enough, Illinois officials then played Frank Sinatra's "My Kind of Town" and "Homecoming," by Kanye West.

At the time, NU's players and coaches were in their locker room, licking their wounds after blowing an 18-point third-quarter lead.

So they didn't hear the barrage, an obvious response to NU's declaration of being "Chicago's Big Ten Team."

Teddy Greenstein
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:50 PM   #49
trevdv
IMO, this game will be our Washington State-Washington game. Where no matter what the two teams' records are, it will be a good game. What have we got to lose? I mean really... we're 2-9. Taking chances or executing a trick play wouldn't hurt. What have we got to lose. What have we got to lose. Throw records out the window. This game is the last for 20 Illini, and as far as I'm concerned, it'll be a competitive one!

lol sorry if there were too many elements of a coach's pre-game speech in there...
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:48 PM   #50
Judgesmails
Banned
Personally, been working that "what have we got to lose" angle for a while now

Indiana, and
Minnesota, and
Purdue.

Each game presented moments where that rationale, in my opinion, should have guided strategy and play decisions; yet apparently TB not big on "what have we got to lose"

Just the most recent ex off top of head, purposefully burning the last 35 seconds of second qtr, on Sr. Day, with wind at back, instead of trying to get into fg range, in a game ultimately lost by 3.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »