Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Pregame: Illinois vs Georgia Tech, Wednesday, November 28th, 8:00pm CT, ESPN2

Closed Thread

Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:13 AM   #101
illinidawg89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnymo View Post
If u of I bball wants to have a loud and intimidating home crowd like the izzone and the blue bloods have we must move the gray hairs up and place students/crush in their place.
Yeah, good luck with that. I was at Illinois from 85-89 and we were saying the very same thing.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:24 AM   #102
Dan
Admin
Quote:
We have to wait until tomorrow for @IlliniHoops vs GT, but the #ACCvsBIGTEN Challenge starts tonight. http://instagr.am/p/SjG0RLjJs7/ Go #B1G! #Illini

http://twitter.com/IlliniAthletics
Quote:
Groce wants Illini to get tougher

"I felt like we escaped on Sunday," Groce said. "I didn't think we were very tough and we didn't execute well. We spent a lot of time (Monday) watching film, trying to get our minds and bodies ready to compete at a higher level.

"I'm always concerned when we don't play well. We have no excuses. We don't operate that way.

"Am I alarmed? Not at this juncture. I saw in our guys' eyes that they were disappointed when we watched that film."

Tupper
Quote:
HQ forecast: Illinois 71, Georgia Tech 62

One real area of concern for the Illini through seven games has been rebounding. They gave up 21 offensive rebounds to Hawaii, 10 to Chaminade, 16 to Butler and 10 to Gardner-Webb. The Yellow Jackets average 12.6 offensive boards per game, and coach Brian Gregory comes from the Tom Izzo coaching tree. "We've got to do a better job of blocking out. They're notorious, as are the coaches in that family for rebounding, and their niche (is) in the area of rebounding; they're terrific on the glass, and they're physical," Groce said.

Marcus Jackson
Quote:
Illinois basketball buys into John Groce's system fast

A 37.6 percent shooter his first three years, Paul is shooting 48.3 percent this year. He's also 10th in the Big Ten with 3.7 assists per game, nearly double his 2.1 assists his first three years.

Another big beneficiary is 6-9 senior Tyler Griffey, who's averaging 10.9 points per game after being a 3.3-point afterthought his first three years.

"This system's been great for us," said Paul, an off guard who also spells Tracy Abrams at the point. "The type of players we have works well with this style of play."

Herb Gould
Quote:
Georgia Tech could present matchup problems for Illini

The Yellow Jackets have moved forward with a freshman recruiting class that was ranked 16th nationally by Rivals.com, and two freshmen are listed as probable starters tonight.

Marcus Georges-Hunt, a 6-foot-5 guard/forward, is the Yellow Jackets' leading scorer at 11.4 points per game and also averages 5.0 rebounds. Robert Carter Jr., a 6-8, 245-pound forward, contributes 8.0 points and 5.4 rebounds.

Georgia Tech also has 6-8, 231-pound junior forward Kammeon Holsey, who isn't listed as a probable starter but is averaging 10.6 points and 5.8 rebounds. Another Yellow Jacket averaging in double figures is 6-2 senior starting guard Mfon Udofia, who is at 10.2 points per game.

http://www.sj-r.com/sports/x16658407...ems-for-Illini
Quote:
Take it away, Coach Groce

"Coaches love practice; players love games. Now we're heading into our sixth game in 13 days. I have a list on a piece of paper that I'm dying to attack in practice, but it's hard to have a full-contact, two-hour, gettin'-after-it practice because we need to keep players fresh. The benefit is how much we've learned about our team."

Tate

Last edited by Dan; Nov 28, 2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:34 AM   #103
FlyinIllini 11
I will be making the drive down and can not wait. Most pumped I have been to head down for a game in years. ILL-
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:38 AM   #104
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinIllini 11 View Post
I will be making the drive down and can not wait. Most pumped I have been to head down for a game in years. ILL-
See you there. Wondering where anyone would suggest eating in C-U. Want to watch what I can of the early games over dinner, so what bar is likely to have all three screens going? Suggestions one and all? Thanks in advance
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:16 AM   #105
TheChief
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
See you there. Wondering where anyone would suggest eating in C-U. Want to watch what I can of the early games over dinner, so what bar is likely to have all three screens going? Suggestions one and all? Thanks in advance
Legends on Green Street. There are several seating locations, including the bar, that will give you a good viewing angle of all the early games. Food and beer selection is also excellent.

If Legends is packed (it probably will be), you're next option is probably Murphy's - perhaps the greatest burger + fries on campus.

Fire Station (relatively new) has a ton of tv's (even personal tv's in each booth), but their food is absolutely horrendous.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:21 AM   #106
danielb927
Orange Krush Class of 2013
One exam this morning, then I'm pumped up for tonight! Ready to reveal our Orange Krush shirts from Homage, too.

Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:24 AM   #107
FredrickFremont
Banned
Quote:
While I agree the hall can get loud at times...but most of the times its not that intimidating.
If u of I bball wants to have a loud and intimidating home crowd like the izzone and the blue bloods have we must move the gray hairs up and place students/crush in their place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinidawg89 View Post
Yeah, good luck with that. I was at Illinois from 85-89 and we were saying the very same thing.
Like everyone else, when Illinois is winning they have good crowds. And when Illinois has good crowds, AH is one of the toughest places to play in the nation.

What would qualify as evidence of intimidation? Opposing players wetting themselves? Crying during timeouts?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:29 AM   #108
TheChief
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredrickFremont View Post
Like everyone else, when Illinois is winning they have good crowds. And when Illinois has good crowds, AH is one of the toughest places to play in the nation.

What would qualify as evidence of intimidation? Opposing players wetting themselves? Crying during timeouts?
Walking over to our bench and giving us their lunch money. Only this will satisfy me.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:18 AM   #109
IlliniRunIn07
Quote:

It's a start!

Edit: Actually by that logic, Nebraska is an intimidating place to play
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:12 AM   #110
IlliniKat91
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Fire Station (relatively new) has a ton of tv's (even personal tv's in each booth), but their food is absolutely horrendous.
Forget Fire Station. Go to Firehaus if you want fire anything in the name. Seating is awesome in the front area, and the food is decent.

Legends is also awesome. In fact, Legends would be choice #1, provided you get there early enough for a seat (since you're eating).

Quote:
Walking over to our bench and giving us their lunch money. Only this will satisfy me.
:laugh:

Fantastic.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:48 AM   #111
illinifan31
Orange Krush Cow
Quote:
Legends on Green Street. There are several seating locations, including the bar, that will give you a good viewing angle of all the early games. Food and beer selection is also excellent.

If Legends is packed (it probably will be), you're next option is probably Murphy's - perhaps the greatest burger + fries on campus.

Fire Station does not exist anymore. White Horse moved into their location.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:51 AM   #112
JoeJ
Hopefully no Mark Price flashbacks. Attended the game in RI when he killed us.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:01 PM   #113
PeoriaIllini1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
park at hooters and walk over!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:04 PM   #114
PeoriaIllini1
Quote:

Would be tougher if students or at least passionate vocal fans sitting in A instead of fair weather fans sitting closer to the court. At the very least if they are not going to attend the game give the tickets to someone who will or back to the box office to sell and support the program!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:11 PM   #115
IlliniKat91
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaIllini1 View Post
Would be tougher if students or at least passionate vocal fans sitting in A instead of fair weather fans sitting closer to the court. At the very least if they are not going to attend the game give the tickets to someone who will or back to the box office to sell and support the program!
No season ticket holder, ever, will just GIVE tickets away unless it's for a tax break. Season tickets, especially that close to the court, cost serious coin. They may be for sale (we put our season tickets up on StubHub, or sell at face value to friends), but they will rarely be given away. People need to make up their cash.

That being said, I think the Illini need to make it easier to sell their tickets through third party brokers (like StubHub) so seats do fill in. I think the addition of bar codes will help, since people could buy tickets up to two hours before game time and print from home, instead of having to order 3 days ahead of time and have them mailed to you.

I love the Illini as much as anyone. I want Assembly Hall to be nuts for every home game. That being said, I would not expect anyone to just give away part of a major investment like season tickets; sell, yes, donate to charity, sure, but not just hand out. If someone does do this, God bless them, but it won't be me. I'm not rich enough to take that kind of blow to my bottom line.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:13 PM   #116
danielb927
Orange Krush Class of 2013
Exam complete. Commence checking illinoisloyalty every 5 minutes until 8 PM!

Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:14 PM   #117
ctblaisdell83
Quote:

Crean in vistor's locker room, curled up in fetal position, unwilling to come out for 2nd half

Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:24 PM   #118
PeoriaIllini1
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniKat91 View Post
No season ticket holder, ever, will just GIVE tickets away unless it's for a tax break. Season tickets, especially that close to the court, cost serious coin. They may be for sale (we put our season tickets up on StubHub, or sell at face value to friends), but they will rarely be given away. People need to make up their cash.

That being said, I think the Illini need to make it easier to sell their tickets through third party brokers (like StubHub) so seats do fill in. I think the addition of bar codes will help, since people could buy tickets up to two hours before game time and print from home, instead of having to order 3 days ahead of time and have them mailed to you.

I love the Illini as much as anyone. I want Assembly Hall to be nuts for every home game. That being said, I would not expect anyone to just give away part of a major investment like season tickets; sell, yes, donate to charity, sure, but not just hand out. If someone does do this, God bless them, but it won't be me. I'm not rich enough to take that kind of blow to my bottom line.
I have had them given to me before in the southwest lot at the hall and by others. Our tickets were in B13 row 3 for 25 years and friends in A used to give them to me too. Alot of people with good seats are more worried about having tickets scalped and someone making a buck on them than they are about giving them away. When dad used all the tickets i can tell you it happened a dozen times that wealthy folks in that lot said if you walk in with me you can have the ticket. They just didnt want someone to sell it or scalp it and make a buck on them.

Last edited by PeoriaIllini1; Nov 28, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:28 PM   #119
AK Illini
UofI Basketball..off the chain
Quote:

meh, it's a sunk cost. They've already paid for the tickets, if you're not going for one reason or another, you might as well give them away.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:30 PM   #120
PeoriaIllini1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Illini View Post
meh, it's a sunk cost. They've already paid for the tickets, if you're not going for one reason or another, you might as well give them away.

Bingo and many people do. When we were out of town for the holidays dad did all the time

Last edited by Dan; Nov 28, 2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:39 PM   #121
FinalFour88
Quote:

For a period of several years in the early to mid 2000s, Illinois had the best home record in the nation (better than Cameron, Izzone, IU, everyone). Assembly Hall is plenty loud and intimidating. When the Illini lose at home, it's because the team didn't play well enough to win. Can't blame the fans for that one.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:52 PM   #122
AK Illini
UofI Basketball..off the chain
Still going with a narrow Illini win based largely on home court advantage. I think it's a given we get destroyed on the glass...upset possible if turnovers get out of hand again.

IL 65 GT 59
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:10 PM   #123
WizardBill
Illini optimist
Quote:

So... Explain how they are making up their money by NOT going to the game, NOT giving them away, and leaving the seat empty? Not sure I follow your logic...
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:14 PM   #124
Illini70math
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalFour88 View Post
For a period of several years in the early to mid 2000s, Illinois had the best home record in the nation (better than Cameron, Izzone, IU, everyone). Assembly Hall is plenty loud and intimidating. When the Illini lose at home, it's because the team didn't play well enough to win. Can't blame the fans for that one.
It depends on what you view the role of "fans" to be. Even when IU was crummy, they had a big home court advantage because their fans cheered to help the team start winning instead of waiting around to cheer for a winning team. They have done that even when their teams were not playing well, which has been often over recent decades. That's why we have so much trouble getting kids from Indiana to come here. They have better fans than we do.

For those who say that the key is to give the better seats to the students, one has to take into account that it is the student attendance that has dropped off the last I heard (ignoring freebie promos, etc.). As a group, people who follow the Illini for many years (who often started as students, granted) are a more reliable fanbase than students. Orange Krush is the exception, not the rule.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:26 PM   #125
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb927 View Post
Exam complete. Commence checking illinoisloyalty every 5 minutes until 8 PM!
I'm making the 3 hour drive for the game tonight. Is the Krush doing anything special during the game tonight?
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »