Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois 75, Georgia Tech 62 POSTGAME

Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:21 AM   #226
drumanimal
Solid win tonight!!I had to watch the game a couple hours late. Was at the hospital with my wife for false labor tonight. All good, taped the game!! I really enjoyed Bardo calling the game. Thinking we got 2 more years of Bertrand? Man, he's a stud!
drumanimal is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:31 AM   #227
Leonardite
Quote:
Originally Posted by troydove View Post
Instead of Ibby --- EGWU Both are a weber let down
I see a ban looming. Settle down man.

So easy.
So easy.
So easy.

"Frank Williams putting on a show passing the rock! Driving, Drawing, and Dishing the rock! The three D's man!" --- The Frank Williams Show
Leonardite is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:34 AM   #228
BP3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChiefRises View Post
Someone needs to tell me if JoeB made SportsCenter top 10. He deserves it, just not sure he'll get it.
He was number 9.
BP3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:49 AM   #229
liquidwisdom
Quote:
Instead of Ibby --- EGWU Both are a weber let down's

We need Henry and DL to preform, they need time on the floor, and yes Egwu has weak hands/ TA is not a guard/ and DJ can't guard his mom. SO, we need Myke, DL, Sam and Tyler to man up and take over
You need to catchup on your DVR! Here's a spoiler...we don't play in the 2012 NCAA or NIT tourneys, Weber gets fired, Leonard goes pro, we hire the coach from Ohio, and start the new season 8-0 with a Maui championship, win a pair of games with our final possession, and add another B1G/ACC team win (with a zone defense)!

There, now you can enjoy the current season with the rest of us!

Last edited by liquidwisdom; Nov 29, 2012 at 01:01 AM.
liquidwisdom is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:56 AM   #230
BP3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP3 View Post
He was number 9.
Oops sorry #3
BP3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:18 AM   #231
Shenanigans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
So no Tyler Griffey? And less Ibby, because during those 30 seconds of bench clearing time he has "week" [sic] hands?

Have you seen Illinois play this year? Or glanced at a box score?:laugh::laugh:
Exactly. If we did not have Tyler Griffey, we might have two losses. Tyler doesn't show up huge in the box score or highlight reel, but he's an extension of the coaching staff on the court.

Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:34 AM   #232
Illini B-Ball Fan
Great win - Go Illini!
Illini B-Ball Fan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:07 AM   #233
Geno33
Missouri illini Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Illini View Post
Using Griffey when he could? TG was second in minutes played tonight (30). He was 5-7 from the field and 3-4 from the 3-point line.

Unfortunately, he was asked to play the 5 a couple times and couldn't handle the bigger player. But, we shouldn't act like TG is some type of liability. He has been the X factor this year.
Nice Post !! TG was gaurding a guy ( # 5 ) that was listed at 7' and is a post player.
Geno33 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:05 AM   #234
schlagboy
That should be a new #JoeTales......If someone is in the lane, no problem, just jump OVER him.
schlagboy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:11 AM   #235
Illinidreamin
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidwisdom View Post
You need to catchup on your DVR! Here's a spoiler...we don't play in the 2012 NCAA or NIT tourneys, Weber gets fired, Leonard goes pro, we hire the coach from Ohio, and start the new season 8-0 with a Maui championship, win a pair of games with our final possession, and add another B1G/ACC team win (with a zone defense)!

There, now you can enjoy the current season with the rest of us!

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Nice
Illinidreamin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:21 AM   #236
hermie1985
Team plays hard all the time. JoeB's performance reminded me of when Kenny Battle took over the Missouri game in St. Louis. We need to make free throws.
hermie1985 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:25 AM   #237
ChampaignLou
Ref were not the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecLeagueHero View Post
Oh and BTW, the refs sucked AGAIN tonight. I've never seen a team that gets less calls on their home floor than Illinois.
Of all the so-called bad calls, the ones that I think you are referencing are the blocking calls called on our players. In my opinion, all these calls were right and this team tries too much to take charges, especially Paul.

I have a certain pet peeve about taking charges, as I think this is a cheap way of playing defense and only puts the control in the hands of the referee and takes away from offensive play.

I can't fault the players all the time because I think this is actively coached throughout the NCAA. But, hey, that's just my take.
ChampaignLou is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:29 AM   #238
Loyalillini10
Quote:
Instead of Ibby --- EGWU Both are a weber let down's

We need Henry and DL to preform, they need time on the floor, and yes Egwu has weak hands/ TA is not a guard/ and DJ can't guard his mom. SO, we need Myke, DL, Sam and Tyler to man up and take over
Again...what? You do realize that DJ is probably our best defender, right? This is a big reason why it was so bad that he got two early fouls. He has been a very strong defender since he got here; it is something that is and has always been talked about. We almost always put DJ on the opposing team's highest scoring guard. Where do you get this?

Also, please proofread your posts before submitting them; your grammar is atrocious.
Loyalillini10 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:37 AM   #239
Chiefforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP3 View Post
Oops sorry #3
And we'll deserved. His play was NBA caliber right there. I hope scouts are looking at him, he might not be the best player, but easily the most athletic. This guy has springs for feet and he has the body of a pro.
Chiefforever is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:38 AM   #240
Chiefforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermie1985 View Post
Team plays hard all the time. JoeB's performance reminded me of when Kenny Battle took over the Missouri game in St. Louis. We need to make free throws.
And also when joe took over the Missouri game last year. Anyone remember that?
Chiefforever is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:41 AM   #241
Loyalillini10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefforever View Post
Oh yeah, I remember. That was his breakout game. That was the game when other teams said, "uh oh, we are going to have to start scouting that kid." I loved it.
Loyalillini10 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:00 AM   #242
chiefini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefforever View Post
I have friends who were high school coaches in Joe's conference who haven't been able to understand why Illinois has not tapped into Joe's potential. They've been totally frustrated and disappointed that he hasn't been given the chance to succeed because he is one of the best athletes they've ever seen. Thanks, Coach Groce, for realizing what a gem we've got, and for giving Joe the opportunity to shine.

‎"There is an uncommon spirit known only by those who call themselves Illini...It is a dignified spirit portrayed by the Chief. It is a spirit of orange and blue blood and of the young and the old. Once it enters your veins, you will never be the same again." Illini Spirit William Branom, '54 (1932-2012)
chiefini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:06 AM   #243
Redfoxdogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by classof2016 View Post
#JOETALES. We have a different hero every night, I love it.

This. Last year too much focus on standout performances (BP) with subsequent collapse. JG seems to be instilling a better TEAM approach. Felt that last year the team fell apart with a few feeling too much responsibility for the losses, and pushing too hard as a result.

Seeing glimmers of more professional mindset .... we will do well if the kids buy in to the "learning" approach, as they seem to be. Did not see panic and forcing shots at the end of the game.

Happy for the win and happy to see our kids smiling!
Redfoxdogs is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:08 AM   #244
WingDinger
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardBill View Post
we find it unacceptable that the high profile seats are being given to people who do not show up to games, who leave early, and who do not appear to care much about the basketball team.
LOL - the high profile seats are Given to people? Not quite.

The Johnny come lately group is simply out of luck. Whining on a message board doesn't help get you better seats . It's a combination of KASH and seniority.

Where were the students, tonight and all season? Student floor seats were full. In the rest of the student sections there were a lot of empty dull grey seats watching the game.
WingDinger is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:58 AM   #245
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Illinois wrecks Georgia Tech 75-62

Bertrand ripped off his own 10-0 run during a critical span of less than two minutes to help Illinois pull ahead of Georgia Tech and whip the crowd into a frenzy en route to Wednesday night's 75-62 victory. The No. 22 Illini now have won four straight Big Ten-ACC Challenge games.

"This summer (Groce) had us shooting a lot of 3s," said Bertrand, who scored 15 points and hit 3 of 4 3-pointers. "Everybody had to make 11,000 or more. That really helped with my shooting. It really helped my confidence."

The Illini have plenty to feel confident about after an undefeated start.

Bertrand's hot streak sparked a 21-4 Illini run to end the game.

Shannon Ryan
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:02 AM   #246
Hugh Jorgen
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchardDowns View Post
Abrams is becoming a HUGE concern!!!
No doubt about it...I watched the game, but haven't had a chance to analyze the stats as of yet, but just from watching the game, it seemed like Abrams was solely responsible for like 8 turnovers in the 1st half alone.

I couldn't believe the recklessness with the dribble and passing that he displayed during the 1st half.
Hugh Jorgen is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:11 AM   #247
kingmal
Banned
Joe B is the best pro prospect on this team. BP3 will be a late first early second, but Joe is a first rounder after next year.

Bertrand reminds me of a more efficient DeMar DeRozan. Brandon reminds me of Rodney Stuckey
kingmal is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:13 AM   #248
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmal View Post
Joe is a first rounder after next year.
Let's chill out just a little bit.

@mattcoldagelli

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:18 AM   #249
mytwocents
It might be because we are winning but I enjoy the post-game interviews. Coach Henson was very good post-game and so is Coach Groce. From his comments he joys his players personally but he tries to separate the business of winning and getting better with personal feelings. I donít think he will have a dog house just perform and play Ė nothing personal. That is all you can ask for as a player.
mytwocents is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:19 AM   #250
cjcastan
Well to crib from Tony Kornheiser, after hiring John Groce. Welcome to the land of unbridled optimism.

We may lose some games this year we should win if we die by the 3. We'll definitely win some games we shouldn't due to hot shooting.

As long as we always have a chance to win or feel like we can win that a big step up in this first year.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »