Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:57 PM   #1126
RyanK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Late View Post
So did you get a close look at Ulis? Sounds like his height estimate has ranges from 5'7" to 5'10". What is your guess? Is he uber-short, or just short?
He's definitely grown. He looked about 5'10 to me, and man he was fun to watch. Austin looks to be a legit 6'2 there.

LA sent some kids layup attempt about 10 rows deep. It also was the most obvious no call on a goaltend I think I've ever seen. Coach Walker got a kick out of it with Craig Robinson.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:58 PM   #1127
stevo99
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
Pretty good. A lot of crowd heckling where I was sitting. I sat by and talked to Ulis' dad tonight. Lets just say...he doesn't agree Austin is the top in state pg.
That's good. Spfld has done a good job supporting this event.

LOL at Ulis' dad. I can just imagine.

I'd love to see St. Rita down here in the marquee game next year.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:02 PM   #1128
combes
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue217 View Post
As long as hes playing against a team with another real big man and not a few 6'4 centers.
Don't know about tonight, but all big high school centers end up playing against smaller opponents. I watched Leonard surrounded by three smaller players all the time. That is why Morgan playing well in the summer against other AAU bigs was positive. Sometimes it is easier for big men to play against someone of similar size because it is an opportunity to play against one defender rather than 2-3 sagging around them.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:03 PM   #1129
stevo99
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
Don't know about tonight, but all big high school centers end up playing against smaller opponents. I watched Leonard surrounded by three smaller players all the time. That is why Morgan playing well in the summer against other AAU bigs was positive.

I wasn't totally sold on Leonard for awhile because of this.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:04 PM   #1130
zoggle101
MM reminds me of SVT. We'll let him develop and not hide him on the bench like Pitino has done with SVT.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:21 PM   #1131
ChiTownIllini22
Also attended all games of the Chicago Elite Classic tonight. Here are my thoughts, for whatever they're worth (probably not much):

- Agree with the poster about the Lone Peak team from Utah. It took them about a quarter to adjust to the quickness of Proviso East. Once they did that, it was game over. Those kids just absolutely shoot the lights out. Not sure that they'd beat Simeon, but I think they'd have given them a better game than Milton (GA) did. Heard a guy from Proviso East a few rows in front of me saying that Sterling Brown was out for disciplinary reasons, but didn't hear any details.

- VJ King from St. Vincent St. Mary's is the real deal. Very impressive for a freshman.

- KBD can stroke it. Agree that he doesn't do much else, though. I'm sure he'll be great in college, but there were multiple players throughout the day that I was much more impressed with.

- Jahlil Okafor is a stud. He is going to give Simeon fits when they play them. That is going to be one heck of a game.

- I disagree with the previous poster about Paul White. I thought he looked really good. Had a couple of LeBron-esque come from behind blocks off the backboard on fast breaks.

- L.J. Peak is also very impressive. Really plays within the flow of the game and let's things come to him.

- I think people are going to be very very pleased with Jaylon Tate. Kid is a better passer than anyone that we have on the team right now. Wasn't overly impressed with his shot, but he plays smart, is a great passer, and is the clear floor general of that team.

- Kendrick Nunn is explosive. Thought he played well, not great. Has a smooth stroke, but just wasn't falling tonight.

- Wasn't expecting J.P. to play, but was happy I got the opportunity to see him play. He is definitely not in basketball shape and looks like he has some weight to lose as a result of his injury. Just doesn't have any explosiveness right now, and actually got swatted pretty good once.

- Got to meet Coach Groce at a restaurant before the Whitney Young game. Great guy. You can definitely tell that he knows how to play the game. He was working the crowd at the games all night.

- At the same restaurant, overheard Coach Parham talking about KBD. To put it mildly, he seemed as surprised as everyone on here regarding OSU being KBD's dream school. However, he also went on to say some things which I will simply paraphrase as "His loss. On to the next one." I absolutely love this new staff.

- I think Isaac Chew was also in the house and saw him talking to Groce and Parham. That had to be a somewhat awkward conversation.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but just figured I'd share my thoughts from the day.

Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:26 PM   #1132
RyanK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownIllini22 View Post
Also attended all games of the Chicago Elite Classic tonight. Here are my thoughts, for whatever they're worth (probably not much):

- Agree with the poster about the Lone Peak team from Utah. It took them about a quarter to adjust to the quickness of Proviso East. Once they did that, it was game over. Those kids just absolutely shoot the lights out. Not sure that they'd beat Simeon, but I think they'd have given them a better game than Milton (GA) did. Heard a guy from Proviso East a few rows in front of me saying that Sterling Brown was out for disciplinary reasons, but didn't hear any details.

- VJ King from St. Vincent St. Mary's is the real deal. Very impressive for a freshman.

- KBD can stroke it. Agree that he doesn't do much else, though. I'm sure he'll be great in college, but there were multiple players throughout the day that I was much more impressed with.

- Jahlil Okafor is a stud. He is going to give Simeon fits when they play them. That is going to be one heck of a game.

- I disagree with the previous poster about Paul White. I thought he looked really good. Had a couple of LeBron-esque come from behind blocks off the backboard on fast breaks.

- L.J. Peak is also very impressive. Really plays within the flow of the game and let's things come to him.

- I think people are going to be very very pleased with Jaylon Tate. Kid is a better passer than anyone that we have on the team right now. Wasn't overly impressed with his shot, but he plays smart, is a great passer, and is the clear floor general of that team.

- Kendrick Nunn is explosive. Thought he played well, not great. Has a smooth stroke, but just wasn't falling tonight.

- Wasn't expecting J.P. to play, but was happy I got the opportunity to see him play. He is definitely not in basketball shape and looks like he has some weight to lose as a result of his injury. Just doesn't have any explosiveness right now, and actually got swatted pretty good once.

- Got to meet Coach Groce at a restaurant before the Whitney Young game. Great guy. You can definitely tell that he knows how to play the game. He was working the crowd at the games all night.

- At the same restaurant, overheard Coach Parham talking about KBD. To put it mildly, he seemed as surprised as everyone on here regarding OSU being KBD's dream school. However, he also went on to say some things which I will simply paraphrase as "His loss. On to the next one." I absolutely love this new staff.

- I think Isaac Chew was also in the house and saw him talking to Groce and Parham. That had to be a somewhat awkward conversation.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but just figured I'd share my thoughts from the day.

Awesome summary. Thanks for posting.

Sterling Brown is sitting for having a bad attitude in his last game.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:30 PM   #1133
ChiTownIllini22
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
Awesome summary. Thanks for posting.

Sterling Brown is sitting for having a bad attitude in his last game.
Makes sense. I really thought there was going to be a fight during that Proviso East / Lone Peak, UT game. Proviso East started getting awful chippy once they were getting it handed to them, and the boys from Utah just were not backing down and kept bringing it.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:38 PM   #1134
Chilliniwek
Quote:

Great post, thanks for sharing.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:41 PM   #1135
DerekH198283
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,3285996.story

Love how this is all shaping up with Nunn and Tate nice article
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:45 PM   #1136
ChiTownIllini22
Also, forgot to mention that at the earlier session, saw the following people:

- Former Lakers coach Mike Brown (son plays for Mater Dei, CA)
- Darryl Strawberry (son also plays for Mater Dei)
- Isaiah Thomas (was there for the St. Joe's game, his alma mater)
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:08 PM   #1137
Public
For those still obsessed with the Ulis commentary, looks like the kid's for real, and I'd take him over Austin. This article claims he's 5'10.

Quote:
Ulis, a 5-foot-10-inch junior guard, was 12-for-12 from the free-throw line and finished with 24 points, five assists, four rebounds and two steals.
BY THE NUMBERS
Lanphier led 29-26 at the half but was outscored 21-6 in the third quarter. . . . The Lions missed 11 of 13 3-point field goals attempted. . . . Larry Austin led Lanphier with 17 points while teammate Jordan Tribbett added 10. . . . Joshua Cohn scored 15 points on 6-for-8 shooting, including hitting all three of his attempts behind the arc. Ki-Jana Crawford notched 12 for the Spartans.

http://www.sj-r.com/prep-basketball-...66-Lanphier-51

Last edited by Dan; Dec 2, 2012 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Added link
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:10 PM   #1138
IlliniJim20
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue217 View Post
Lone Peak is not better than Simeon. You will see that even without Parker as soon as you watch their game.
Having seen both teams, I am still convinced Lone Peak could hold their own against Simeon. I believe they are Top Ten in the country. Their best player, Emery, had an off night and the still rolled Proviso East. If Emery and TJ Haws are hitting, along with Mika inside, they' d have a chance. They have four D1 prospects on their team, so they are no slouch and, they play well as a Team.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:14 PM   #1139
IlliniJim20
Hey I am in the background of the picture with Groce!!!!!!

I don't remember signing a waiver:laugh:
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:18 PM   #1140
zoggle101
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJim20 View Post
Having seen both teams, I am still convinced Lone Peak could hold their own against Simeon. I believe they are Top Ten in the country. Their best player, Emery, had an off night and the still rolled Proviso East. If Emery and TJ Haws are hitting, along with Mika inside, they' d have a chance. They have four D1 prospects on their team, so they are no slouch and, they play well as a Team.
Two of these guys going to BYU and are they little brothers of past Cougar players? Maybe Jabari liked what he saw in a couple future teammates?

Great recap 22
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:26 PM   #1141
ChiTownIllini22
Quote:
+1
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:35 PM   #1142
IlliniJim20
Quote:

I hope you are right about Nunn's shot. I have see him play about 4-5 times, and his shot was never really falling all those times. He brings plenty to the table, so here's hoping his shot get more consistent. Great athleticism, great leader.

Liked what I saw in Tate. I think when all is said and done, we will be very pleased with him.

Was not always sold on Okafor before tonight , and I have seen him plenty times earlier. He displayed an array of moves, an improved jumper, and quick feet. Only concern might be he tends to be a black hole after getting the ball. Granted it is high school and no one can really stop him. Just wondering if, in his quest to be the # 1 pick in the NBA, if chemistry issues might be of concern.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:36 PM   #1143
IlliniJim20
Quote:
+1
So where we're you sitting?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:53 PM   #1144
ChiTownIllini22
Quote:
So where we're you sitting?
First session was about midcourt across from the benches, 4-5 rows up. Night session was same area but near the top.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:54 PM   #1145
ChiTownIllini22
Quote:
I hope you are right about Nunn's shot. I have see him play about 4-5 times, and his shot was never really falling all those times. He brings plenty to the table, so here's hoping his shot get more consistent. Great athleticism, great leader.

Liked what I saw in Tate. I think when all is said and done, we will be very pleased with him.

Was not always sold on Okafor before tonight , and I have seen him plenty times earlier. He displayed an array of moves, an improved jumper, and quick feet. Only concern might be he tends to be a black hole after getting the ball. Granted it is high school and no one can really stop him. Just wondering if, in his quest to be the # 1 pick in the NBA, if chemistry issues might be of concern.
Hadn't seen Okafor before tonight, but he absolutely owned BJ Anji (sp?), who is apparently a top 30 2013 guy.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 12:13 AM   #1146
justsomedude
Hearing chew was there, I can't help but smile that their start ha been far weaker than ours considering all the talk how he was going to a program poised to succeed and leaving behind a several year rebuild.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 12:41 AM   #1147
ChiCityHoops34
Quote:
You are correct sir
Old Dec 2, 2012, 01:48 AM   #1148
Juice
God, such exciting time right now on the basketball side. Freakin love it
Old Dec 2, 2012, 03:22 AM   #1149
illbasketfan
Quote:

I was around most of all the events that you just spoke of. so I'm sure you saw me then
Old Dec 2, 2012, 03:44 AM   #1150
jonnymo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public View Post
For those still obsessed with the Ulis commentary, looks like the kid's for real, and I'd take him over Austin. This article claims he's 5'10.

Ulis, a 5-foot-10-inch junior guard, was 12-for-12 from the free-throw line and finished with 24 points, five assists, four rebounds and two steals.
+1 ulis > Austin

Last edited by Dan; Dec 2, 2012 at 03:53 AM.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »