Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Conference Realignment Thread (Maryland & Rutgers join the Big Ten conference)

Closed Thread

Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:10 PM   #876
jimmy1illini
If there going to bring in academics UNC is not a good fit. Duke brings more to the table in that area.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:17 PM   #877
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1illini View Post
If there going to bring in academics UNC is not a good fit.
This is wrong. Plenty of posts in this thread and the last realignment thread to show why, but UNC fits in very well with the Big Ten academically.

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:49 PM   #878
jimmy1illini
Based on endowment money Duke crushes UNC by nearly 3 billion dollars, 5 to 2.2. Besides Duke doesn't get in trouble like UNC does on a regular basis.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:13 PM   #879
IllininVA
I have no inside information, but noticed in the Roanoke VA newspaper this week that the UVA athetic director, Craig Littlepage's denial that they were going no where was not very convincing. He was quoted as saying, "......We are very comfortable with our home in the ACC and my hope is that it is our home for a very long period of time." It struck me when I read it that it left a lot of weasel room for a change in their plans.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:17 PM   #880
jackman404
Banned
Quote:
Besides Duke doesn't get in trouble like UNC does on a regular basis.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

This is probably the funniest, worst argument against UNC I have ever heard. UNC is probably the single most attractive target in the country, if you don't realize that then you don't understand the motives behind realignment.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:47 PM   #881
chief illiniwek
it's an ILLINI thing
Why stop at 16? Beside the fact that the new logo could be B16..... We could have two divisions of 10. Thinking B1G x2....

Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:56 PM   #882
jimmy1illini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackman404 View Post
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

This is probably the funniest, worst argument against UNC I have ever heard. UNC is probably the single most attractive target in the country, if you don't realize that then you don't understand the motives behind realignment.
Why is it funny, your asking an AAU school to join your league and your just coming off a huge academic scandel, me says no.

My vote is for UVA and Duke. Don't like the GT angle.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:59 PM   #883
Illini2016
I am not happy about all of this re-alignment. At all. More is not necessarily better. 11 quality teams beat 16-20 mediocre teams every day of the week. Adding Maryland, Rutgers, UVA, UNC, GATech, or whoever else is not good for the conference if the originals do not improve their play.

Class of 2016
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:06 PM   #884
Groundhogday
Quote:
Why is it funny, your asking an AAU school to join your league and your just coming off a huge academic scandel, me says no.

My vote is for UVA and Duke. Don't like the GT angle.
What is funny is that someone who doesn't know the difference between "you're" and "your", and who writes "me says no" would attempt to critique the academic standing of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

In case you didn't realize, UNC is a member of the AAU and is currently ranked No. 41 in the Academic Ranking of World Universities (Duke is No. 36). When you take into account the size of the universities and their alumni bases (UNC is twice as large) as well as football tradition and success, it really is an easy decision. UNC is a far more desirable target, and a better fit for the public university dominated B1G.

Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:21 PM   #885
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini2016 View Post
I am not happy about all of this re-alignment. At all. More is not necessarily better. 11 quality teams beat 16-20 mediocre teams every day of the week. Adding Maryland, Rutgers, UVA, UNC, GATech, or whoever else is not good for the conference if the originals do not improve their play.
A) There was no point where we had "11 quality teams"; someone was always below average or worse, so let's stop with the mythmaking about the golden era of the Big Ten when you had to squint to see the "11" in the logo, all the teams were great, and the competition was pure.

B) "Improving play" is pretty far down the list on what's important here. All of those schools make the conference better.

@mattcoldagelli

Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:32 PM   #886
jimmy1illini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
What is funny is that someone who doesn't know the difference between "you're" and "your", and who writes "me says no" would attempt to critique the academic standing of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

In case you didn't realize, UNC is a member of the AAU and is currently ranked No. 41 in the Academic Ranking of World Universities (Duke is No. 36). When you take into account the size of the universities and their alumni bases (UNC is twice as large) as well as football tradition and success, it really is an easy decision. UNC is a far more desirable target, and a better fit for the public university dominated B1G.
Jesus Grpundhog get off the intellectual BS throne. Care less about proper grasmmarrr on thesde foruns.

I's as much about research $$$ and alumni clout as anything.

By the way what football success?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:33 PM   #887
Groundhogday
Quote:
Jesus Grpundhog get off the intellectual BS throne. Care less about proper grasmmarrr on thesde foruns.

I's as much about research $$$ and alumni clout as anything.

By the way what football success?
So sorry, I didn't realize it was intellectual BS to ask that you write as if you had attended college. My error.

2009 data on federal research funding (see page 16 from linked report):
Duke $439 million, No. 13 nationally
UNC $432 million, No. 14 nationally
Illinois $288 million, No. 34 nationally

2011 comprehensive ranking of US research institutions (including endowment, research funding, doctorates granted, etc...):
_6 - Duke
16 - UNC
26 - Illinois
http://mup.asu.edu/research2011.pdf

Duke has had one of the very worst major conference football programs in the modern era. Over the last 50 years, they have only appeared in the polls three times, and never since 1994. UNC leads their football rivalry with Duke 41 to 21 with 1 tie. Duke has beaten UNC just twice in the past 23 years.

Bottom line: UNC would be a very good catch for the B1G. Given that Duke doesn't bring any TV sets we wouldn't already get with UNC, I would be surprised if they were offered.

Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:52 PM   #888
jackman404
Banned
Quote:
So sorry, I didn't realize it was intellectual BS to ask that you write as if you had attended college. My error.

2011 comprehensive ranking of US research institutions (including endowment, research funding, doctorates granted, etc...):
_6 - Duke
16 - UNC
26 - Illinois

Duke has had one of the very worst major conference football programs in the modern era. Over the last 50 years, they have only appeared in the polls three times, and never since 1994. UNC leads their football rivalry with Duke 41 to 21 with 1 tie. Duke has beaten UNC just twice in the past 23 years.

Bottom line: UNC would be a very good catch for the B1G. Given that Duke doesn't bring any TV sets we wouldn't already get with UNC, I would be surprised if they were offered.
GHD- Nobody appreciates your well thought out posts including facts and links to back them up on "thesde foruns"!
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:52 PM   #889
Public
Quote:

_6 - Duke
16 - UNC
26 - Illinois

There you go again injecting facts into a legitimate discussion.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 08:10 AM   #890
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Please stop GHD! Reading the illiterate posting that Illinois is academically superior to other schools is one of the few light moments one can enjoy on the Football side of this site.

Seriously though, I have to agree with you. We all make grammar and spelling errors. I am certain IlliniKat or one of the other great teachers on the site can correct me regularly. It isn't too much to ask that in a post where you are suggesting our school is great or the other poster is ignorant to glance at your post before hitting 'submit reply'.

With regard to expansion, I still like my thought that the B1G is suggesting rumors to the press about taking GT or UVa in order to 'shake the tree'. I think they are trying to see if they can get UNC or ND or Texas to request entry before the last spots are taken.

Old Dec 2, 2012, 08:21 AM   #891
jimmy1illini
Quote:

_6 - Duke
16 - UNC
26 - Illinois

GHD, they share the same market so that is a moot point. As I pointed out Duke has double the endowment money. UNC last won the ACC conference in 1980, we have hit that milestone several times since then. If it's all about football sure UNC might be a better catch based on that alone, but did we go after Rutgers and Maryland for football I doubt that. I see adding both for what it is adding quailty AAU teams to your conference. With that said I stick by my vote for Duke and UVA. UNC IMO would fit better in the SEC.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 08:21 AM   #892
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Old Dec 2, 2012, 08:27 AM   #893
gibb52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
Please stop GHD! Reading the illiterate posting that Illinois is academically superior to other schools is one of the few light moments one can enjoy on the Football side of this site.

Seriously though, I have to agree with you. We all make grammar and spelling errors. I am certain IlliniKat or one of the other great teachers on the site can correct me regularly. It isn't too much to ask that in a post where you are suggesting our school is great or the other poster is ignorant to glance at your post before hitting 'submit reply'.

With regard to expansion, I still like my thought that the B1G is suggesting rumors to the press about taking GT or UVa in order to 'shake the tree'. I think they are trying to see if they can get UNC or ND or Texas to request entry before the last spots are taken.
I think that would be a good strategy. I'm not keen on UVA and GT as 15 and 16 unless you're (note my proper grammar) not planning on stopping at 16. If you can get one one the whales (ND and TX) or a really big fish (UNC) to move with that rumor that would be ideal as I think any conference that's larger than 16 becomes too far flung.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 08:35 AM   #894
GilThorpe
the next defection the B1G gets from the ACC has to be UNC, because that will force the ACC to implode.

Duke will NEVER be taken over UNC, and there is ZERO reason for both.

It will be UNC and UVa or UNC and GT. I have a hard time seeing the B1G take all three in one move.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 08:38 AM   #895
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibb52 View Post
I think that would be a good strategy. I'm not keen on UVA and GT as 15 and 16 unless you're (note my proper grammar) not planning on stopping at 16. If you can get one one the whales (ND and TX) or a really big fish (UNC) to move with that rumor that would be ideal as I think any conference that's larger than 16 becomes too far flung.

It might even start with a couple of the lesser ACC teams like NC State, Clemson or FSU jumping for fear of being left without a seat when the music stops. That might then lead to ND or UNC jumping.

I think chaos and fear favors the B1G right now.

Old Dec 2, 2012, 08:44 AM   #896
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilThorpe View Post
the next defection the B1G gets from the ACC has to be UNC, because that will force the ACC to implode.

Duke will NEVER be taken over UNC, and there is ZERO reason for both.

It will be UNC and UVa or UNC and GT. I have a hard time seeing the B1G take all three in one move.
If they took all three, they might as well go to four to get them to 18 to make the divisions even. If they are going to go to 18, why not 20 and then one of the divisions could be the original Big Ten that we all know and love :laugh:
Old Dec 2, 2012, 08:48 AM   #897
PeoriaChief
Is it weird that I don't want UVA bc their colors are orange and blue? GHD you would then have to change your sig.

But on the positive side, at least to me, adding UVA and UNC would keep our conference contiguous.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:10 AM   #898
cjcastan
B1G expansion survey

Don't know where this goes but the B1G does ask questions about both football and basketball.

They even ask if B1G Ten name should stay.

Take the survey

Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:23 AM   #899
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcastan View Post
Don't know where this goes but the B1G does ask questions about both football and basketball.

They even ask if B1G Ten name should stay.

Take the survey
Survey completed
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:43 AM   #900
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvIllini View Post
Survey completed
Me too, glad they did this.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »