Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:28 AM   #1201
Redbirds33333
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownIllini22 View Post
Should have been more clear. I don't think Nunn is anywhere near Gordon as a shooter/scorer. I think he does more things on the court, but doesn't touch Gordon as a shooter/scorer.
I guess I should have clarified too. I'm not saying he will be the 3rd pick in the draft, I just see him as an undersized 2 guard, lefty...with some scoring ability. While Nunn, IMO, is more athletic, Gordon was definitely a better shooter at this stage. Good call on the Defense...I like Nunn there.
Redbirds33333 is offline
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:34 AM   #1202
illini73
illini73's Avatar
Location: Austin, MN
Posts: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by midastouch11 View Post
Ben Gordon was the 3rd overall player selected in 2004, and has averaged 16.5 ppg since, lets temper our expectations a little.
There is always that one person who takes a "comparison" as meaning we are saying they are the same player and will have the same type of career.

That is not it at all if you read. I was comparing their games on the court. Not their career paths as that is impossible to predict. Nunn is quicker, more athletic and maybe a better all-around player, but right now he is not the shooter/scorer Ben was in HS and College (yet anyways).
illini73 is offline
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:41 AM   #1203
midastouch11
midastouch11's Avatar
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini73 View Post
There is always that one person who takes a "comparison" as meaning we are saying they are the same player and will have the same type of career.

That is not it at all if you read. I was comparing their games on the court. Not their career paths as that is impossible to predict. Nunn is quicker, more athletic and maybe a better all-around player, but right now he is not the shooter/scorer Ben was in HS and College (yet anyways).
So we should be awaiting a better all around player than Ben Gordon? Because that is still way off.
midastouch11 is offline
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:45 AM   #1204
combes
Posts: 3,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini73 View Post
I thought he transferred last year?
Third school in three years, iirc.
combes is offline
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:46 AM   #1205
UIUC2008
Banned
Posts: 484
Anyone know if Simeon is playing Whitney Young this year and where?

I'm having trouble finding a good schedule for either team.
UIUC2008 is offline
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:47 AM   #1206
illini73
illini73's Avatar
Location: Austin, MN
Posts: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by midastouch11 View Post
So we should be awaiting a better all around player than Ben Gordon? Because that is still way off.
I am not sure Nunn will have the career of Gordon (no one does), but if you put their games side by side, yes I believe Nunn is better all around (quicker, more athletic, better defender, handles the ball better). Not by a lot though and Ben's scoring was awesome.

I am comparing them as HS players not college and NBA! Nunn will also get stronger and develop his skills much more in college as Ben did also.
illini73 is offline
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:52 AM   #1207
midastouch11
midastouch11's Avatar
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini73 View Post
I am not sure Nunn will have the career of Gordon (no one does), but if you put their games side by side, yes I believe Nunn is better all around (quicker, more athletic, better defender, handles the ball better). Not by a lot though and Ben's scoring was awesome.

I am comparing them as HS players not college and NBA! Nunn will also get stronger and develop his skills much more in college as Ben did also.
Ok, we'll agree to disagree. I think Nunn is a very nice prospect btw.
midastouch11 is offline
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:54 AM   #1208
Foo G
Can bring the ball up
Foo G's Avatar
Location: Kirksville, MO
Posts: 4,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini73 View Post
I hate comparisons (especially when one has not played a college game yet), but Nunn's game is a little reminiscent of Ben Gordon. Undersized SG's with lots of athleticism and streaky (albeit both are pretty consistent) outside shooters.

Just thought I would throw that out there!

FYI: Gordon's RSCI was #41 and Nunn's is #51
Nunn's game reminds me more of a young Manu Ginobili -- LH, explosive, clutch, scrappy, versatile, good teammate, and a winner.

__________________
Be the person your dog thinks you are.

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Foo G is offline
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:59 AM   #1209
Illini70math
Posts: 2,094
Without taking a position either way on comparing Nunn to Ben Gordon in high school, it is always shaky to compare a high school player to a great college or pro player by looking at what they both did in high school. What tends to distinguish the great players who did not exit high school as a top 10 recruit is that they got much, much better in college and the NBA. Not every very good player does that. In fact very few do to the degree necessary to be a good NBA player.

I like Nunn's game, and I agree that he has the potential to be "one of those special guys", but I tend to not put much weight on high school comparisons to proven pros.
Illini70math is offline
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:06 AM   #1210
Crow
Crow's Avatar
Posts: 49
If I can get this to embed correctly, you should see a highlight clip of Ulis vs. Austin.




Last edited by Dan; Dec 3, 2012 at 10:09 AM.
Crow is offline
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:10 AM   #1211
Crow
Crow's Avatar
Posts: 49
Ah, there we go. Thanks much!
Crow is offline
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:15 AM   #1212
Leonardite
Leonardite's Avatar
Location: Terre Haute, IN
Posts: 1,148
Ulis is a baller. Love his game.

__________________

So easy.
So easy.
So easy.

"Frank Williams putting on a show passing the rock! Driving, Drawing, and Dishing the rock! The three D's man!" --- The Frank Williams Show
Leonardite is offline
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:20 AM   #1213
jonnymo
Location: the paign
Posts: 669
Ulis > austin
jonnymo is offline
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:20 AM   #1214
Foo G
Can bring the ball up
Foo G's Avatar
Location: Kirksville, MO
Posts: 4,257
Not really a "head to head" matchup, but good highlight footage nonetheless.
It's disappointing that LA wasn't guarding Ulis.
If he's as good defensively as is reported, why wouldn't he be the guy to guard the other team's best player?
Gotta man up.

Ulis is an elite talent, regardless of his size.
Anyone still arguing that he's too small to be a good player at an high D-1 level is crazy.

__________________
Be the person your dog thinks you are.

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Foo G is offline
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:26 AM   #1215
Illinoy
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini73 View Post
I am not sure Nunn will have the career of Gordon (no one does), but if you put their games side by side, yes I believe Nunn is better all around (quicker, more athletic, better defender, handles the ball better). Not by a lot though and Ben's scoring was awesome.

I am comparing them as HS players not college and NBA! Nunn will also get stronger and develop his skills much more in college as Ben did also.
I totally understand what plane you're comparing. The whole notion is that you believe he's an undersized 2 guard that's a scorer. Not necessarily saying you think they have the same scoring styles or abilities.

I think people take comparisons as expectations of production levels, therefore they don't want to set themselves up for disappointment. It is very easy to get blinded by our current perception of NBA players and totally forget they had glaring weaknesses at some point. Ben Gordon is around my age and I remember his ball handling being more erratic than Nunn's and even when he was with the Bulls he was a defensive liability.

With that being said, if I had to compare playing styles (not abilities), I would say Nunn is more like Ginobli but what Ginobli has in craftiness, Nunn has in explosiveness. You don't see too many 6'1" players that have the same worries as Blake Griffin - hitting your head on the construction.
Illinoy is offline
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:27 AM   #1216
jcgoldie
jcgoldie's Avatar
Location: Alton, IL
Posts: 751
Wow. However tall he is, Ulis is gonna break some ankles... that's a sweet crossover
jcgoldie is offline
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:28 AM   #1217
ChiTownIllini22
Banned
Location: Chicago
Posts: 469
Just a hunch, but I think we'll end up offering Ulis at some point, especially if none of the other 2014 PGs give a verbal here soon. I have absolutely no support for this, just a gut feeling.
ChiTownIllini22 is offline
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:28 AM   #1218
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 30,568
Quote:
Weekend Wrap -- Maverick Morgan dominant in season-opening win

http://www.illinihq.com/blogs/recrut...ening-win.html
Dan is offline
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:31 AM   #1219
Illiniwek06
Illiniwek06's Avatar
Location: N of I-80
Posts: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinoy View Post
I totally understand what plane you're comparing. The whole notion is that you believe he's an undersized 2 guard that's a scorer. Not necessarily saying you think they have the same scoring styles or abilities.

I think people take comparisons as expectations of production levels, therefore they don't want to set themselves up for disappointment. It is very easy to get blinded by our current perception of NBA players and totally forget they had glaring weaknesses at some point. Ben Gordon is around my age and I remember his ball handling being more erratic than Nunn's and even when he was with the Bulls he was a defensive liability.

With that being said, if I had to compare playing styles (not abilities), I would say Nunn is more like Ginobli but what Ginobli has in craftiness, Nunn has in explosiveness. You don't see too many 6'1" players that have the same worries as Blake Griffin - hitting your head on the construction.
They play similarly, but one is crafty and the other is explosive? I don't see this comp at all. There is nothing really about Manu's game that reminds me of anything I've seen from Nunn, minus the fact that they're both lefty.
Illiniwek06 is offline
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:35 AM   #1220
Leonardite
Leonardite's Avatar
Location: Terre Haute, IN
Posts: 1,148
I know people hate talking about Ulis "cause we haven't even offered him yet" but I really hope we get him. Is his size an issue? Yes, but it looks to me like he's growing. He's a flat out baller and if anyone disagrees, they're blind. Sometimes kids just have a knack for the game, and Ulis definitely does.

__________________

So easy.
So easy.
So easy.

"Frank Williams putting on a show passing the rock! Driving, Drawing, and Dishing the rock! The three D's man!" --- The Frank Williams Show
Leonardite is offline
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:37 AM   #1221
Illinoy
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiniwek06 View Post
They play similarly, but one is crafty and the other is explosive? I don't see this comp at all. There is nothing really about Manu's game that reminds me of anything I've seen from Nunn, minus the fact that they're both lefty.
I never said they either party deals in absolutes of craftiness or explosiveness. I only mentioned what they use more of where Ginboli can use explosiveness as well as Nunn has the ability to use craftiness. This difference is probably mainly due to their age as players get more wiley as they get older.

They can both shoot from the outside or attack the cup at will. Both are scrappy and play all out on both ends of the floor. They both having just have this determination to win.
Illinoy is offline
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:39 AM   #1222
Illiniwek06
Illiniwek06's Avatar
Location: N of I-80
Posts: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinoy View Post
I never said they either party deals in absolutes of craftiness or explosiveness. I only mentioned what they use more of where Ginboli can use explosiveness as well as Nunn has the ability to use craftiness. This difference is probably mainly due to their age as players get more wiley as they get older.

They can both shoot from the outside or attack the cup at will. Both are scrappy and play all out on both ends of the floor. They both having just have this determination to win.
Yeah, I understand your point. JMO, but there is nothing about Manu's game that ever really screams (screamed?) explosive to me.
Illiniwek06 is offline
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:43 AM   #1223
illini73
illini73's Avatar
Location: Austin, MN
Posts: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini70math View Post
Without taking a position either way on comparing Nunn to Ben Gordon in high school, it is always shaky to compare a high school player to a great college or pro player by looking at what they both did in high school. What tends to distinguish the great players who did not exit high school as a top 10 recruit is that they got much, much better in college and the NBA. Not every very good player does that. In fact very few do to the degree necessary to be a good NBA player.

I like Nunn's game, and I agree that he has the potential to be "one of those special guys", but I tend to not put much weight on high school comparisons to proven pros.
You have to be able to take the fact that Ben is in the NBA now out of consideration/equation. Some can do that and some cannot.

I was strictly comparing them as HS players. Their games are very similar. Not just from size and position played, but their overall games (with Ben being better in some areas then Nunn and vice versa). If Nunn has a college career like Ben we will be very, very pleased.
illini73 is offline
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:47 AM   #1224
MikeThomas4Prez
MikeThomas4Prez's Avatar
Posts: 1,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardite View Post
I know people hate talking about Ulis "cause we haven't even offered him yet" but I really hope we get him. Is his size an issue? Yes, but it looks to me like he's growing. He's a flat out baller and if anyone disagrees, they're blind. Sometimes kids just have a knack for the game, and Ulis definitely does.
So are High Major D1 coaches and all these recruiting scouts blind? He is a 3 star on Rivals and ESPN (who has him as the 29th best PG in 2014). He has maybe one high offer (Iowa IIRC). The rankings and offers may come, as there is still plenty of time, but who knows. I admit that is the first video Ive seen of him, and this post has nothing to do with my evaluation of him. But to me he is the class of 2014 version of Gavin Schilling for this board. Everyone loves him and cant understand why there is no offer.

Again obviously things can change, but as of now there are several PGs in 2014 we have a chance that we should take over him.
MikeThomas4Prez is offline
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:06 AM   #1225
Foo G
Can bring the ball up
Foo G's Avatar
Location: Kirksville, MO
Posts: 4,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiniwek06 View Post
Yeah, I understand your point. JMO, but there is nothing about Manu's game that ever really screams (screamed?) explosive to me.
Manu's game now is based more on guile and craftiness.
Manu's game 5 years ago was explosive, blowing by defenders and dunking in traffic on a regular basis.
Do some YouTube "research".
That guy is incredible!

Edit:
http://youtu.be/dBLdQMI4TJM
Check out the sequence starting around 1:52.
Blows by Rose and Noah for the dunk, then the HUGE block of KG.
YIKES!!! (With a capital F!!!)

__________________
Be the person your dog thinks you are.

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce

Last edited by Foo G; Dec 3, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
Foo G is offline
Closed Thread


« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Forum Jump