Buffalo Wild Wings
TCU vs. Michigan State

Meineke Car Care of Texas
Minnesota vs. Texas Tech

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-bowl-schedule
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:42 AM   #2
KBLEE
I'm predicting now that the B1G fails to win one bowl game this year.
KBLEE is online now Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:00 AM   #3
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Pretty cool: Northern Illinois will offer free tickets ($75-$225) to students that can attend Orange Bowl

http://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:10 AM   #4
Dan
Admin
The Orange Bowl's official Twitter had a good night-
Quote:
The twittersphere is very angry right now! So we thought we'd educate some of you http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=4819597 - #donthatedaplayahatedagame

@mrmoore98 I was hurt by your tweet until I saw your 11 followers. #stepyourgameup

"@chaserenes: @OrangeBowl enjoy your crap game!!" #hateonhater

Lots of #toughthumbs on twitter tonight. Remember last year when 82% of fans said @WVUSportsBuzz was going to get crushed? #whyweplaythegame

http://twitter.com/OrangeBowl
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:10 AM   #5
Dan
Admin

Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:19 AM   #6
FredrickFremont
Please take outside the person who is responsible for naming the game in which Purdue plays Oklahoma State.....and slice their achilles tendons with a rusty shiv.
FredrickFremont is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:23 AM   #7
FredrickFremont
Hearts (of romaine) Sallad Bowl

(seriously, is the whole thing just parodying itself now)
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:18 AM   #8
ctblaisdell83
I'm personally glad NIU got into a big bowl, but I gotta think the Orange Bowl people are ticked. Too lazy to check the affiliations by bowl game, but I can imagine they'd have loved to get a UGa...or Nebraska...or other big name school.

That said, I'd love to see NIU beat an overconfident FSU team
ctblaisdell83 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:31 AM   #9
KJKobs
Booked my flight to Miami for the Orange Bowl (going with friends who are NIU alums)

My beloved Illini may have disappointed this year but I'll enjoy spending NYE in Florida and experiencing another BCS game to go along with the 2002 Sugar Bowl and 2008 Rose Bowl.

(Hmmm, hopefully this game will be closer than the other 2 BCS games I've attended)

Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:47 AM   #10
KBLEE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJKobs View Post
(Hmmm, hopefully this game will be closer than the other 2 BCS games I've attended)
Doubtful...
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:14 PM   #11
Dan
Admin
All 7 Big Ten bowl teams are underdogs. (By an average of 7.6 pts.)

TCU -1 vs MSU
Texas Tech -13 vs Minnesota
Georgia -8.5 vs Nebraska
Mississippi St -2 vs Northwestern
Oklahoma State -17.5 vs Purdue
Stanford -6.5 vs Wisconsin
South Carolina -4.5 vs Michigan

Via http://vegasinsider.com
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:22 PM   #12
bigtiny
I do not see a win in there for the Big Ten.

The other conferences are just so much deeper. Lower tier SEC and Big12 teams are scary. I'm not sure how much longer the Big Ten's big and spend-happy alumni bases are going to get us special treatment in bowl match-ups. Even we solid Big Ten fans don't enjoy watching these mismatches.
bigtiny is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:35 PM   #13
ILL_INI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtiny View Post

The other conferences are just so much deeper. Lower tier SEC and Big12 teams are scary. I'm not sure how much longer the Big Ten's big and spend-happy alumni bases are going to get us special treatment in bowl match-ups. Even we solid Big Ten fans don't enjoy watching these mismatches.
Well, considering the 1st and 2nd place Leaders Division schools are ineligible this year, you have to expect some mismatches. Plus, the Big Ten as a whole is really down this year.

Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:30 PM   #14
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtiny View Post

Looking at the closest matchups:
  • MSU did not play well down the stretch. Hard to pick the Spartans over good competition.
  • The last three NW coaches are a combined 0-9 in bowl game: Barnett (0-2), Walker (0-3), and Fitz (0-4). From what I can tell, Northwestern last won a bowl game in 1948 (Rose Bowl). In fact, they didn't play in a single bowl game from 1948 to 1995 when Barnett again took them to the Rose Bowl.
  • If I had to pick an upset special it would be Michigan over S. Carolina.
  • Wisconsin improved throughout the season, so they might be better than most realize. It is still hard to see them beating Stanford but it might be close.

Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:00 PM   #15
SCillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Looking at the closest matchups:
  • MSU did not play well down the stretch. Hard to pick the Spartans over good competition.
  • The last three NW coaches are a combined 0-9 in bowl game: Barnett (0-2), Walker (0-3), and Fitz (0-4). From what I can tell, Northwestern last won a bowl game in 1948 (Rose Bowl). In fact, they didn't play in a single bowl game from 1948 to 1995 when Barnett again took them to the Rose Bowl.
  • If I had to pick an upset special it would be Michigan over S. Carolina.
  • Wisconsin improved throughout the season, so they might be better than most realize. It is still hard to see them beating Stanford but it might be close.
I think NU and Wisky give the B1G their best chance for victories. MSU is not playing well and TCU always plays well in bowl games. South Carolina is too physical, and has the speed to matchup with Michigan. Northwestern gets their first bowl victory against an improved, but struggling down the stretch, Miss.St team(7-0 start, 1-4 finish). Wisconsin is playing their best ball at the right time. I think Stanford is a good match up for them, and I see this game as winnable.
SCillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:58 AM   #16
illiniwisdom
Interesting Perspective on NIU

Good article and fun to juxtapose with the Illini's situation.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/16791...-who-left.html
illiniwisdom is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:00 AM   #17
KJKobs
Ouch

NIU Huskies: The Best Orange in Illinois

Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:01 AM   #18
AHSIllini32
That doesn't even make sense.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:33 AM   #19
FredrickFremont
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
That doesn't even make sense.
One might consider it a play on words. Like, in `07, one may have said something trite like "Illinois comes up roses". In `12, in Dekalb, perhaps one could say "the Huskies are going orange".

From there, one could extrapolate and consider other teams that are going, have gone, or are orange. This would include the Illini.

At that point one would only have to make a comparison of the teams, and one possible determination could be that "orange" in the Dekalbian sense was better than the Champaign-type, by virtue of the fact that their football team is good and is playing in the BCS and ours is putrid.

For example.

(your dogged determination to defend at all times is admirable, though)
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:38 AM   #20
mossimo142
Even with your condescending explanation it still doesn't make much sense. Perhaps if Orange was a part of NIU's color's it would be a clever play on words.

I take it as a shot against Illinois, and an entry into the whole Chicago's B1G Team / Our State/Our Team campaigns.
mossimo142 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:43 AM   #21
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossimo142 View Post
Even with your condescending explanation it still doesn't make much sense. Perhaps if Orange was a part of NIU's color's it would be a clever play on words.

I take it as a shot against Illinois, and an entry into the whole Chicago's B1G Team / Our State/Our Team campaigns.
It is a shot, and they earned the right to make it.
Ransom Stoddard is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:52 AM   #22
FredrickFremont
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossimo142 View Post

I don't think it's particularly clever, but there really isn't much to misunderstand if you're being honest about things.

Of course it's a shot at Illinois.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:20 AM   #23
AHSIllini32
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredrickFremont View Post
I don't think it's particularly clever, but there really isn't much to misunderstand if you're being honest about things.

Of course it's a shot at Illinois.
As someone said, you're condescending remark is appreciated.:rolleyes:

I never debated if it was a shot at Illinois but it doesn't make sense and is quite a stretch. Could tried to be more clever.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:08 PM   #24
KBLEE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom Stoddard View Post
It is a shot, and they earned the right to make it.
Yeah - not really. They have no business playing in a BCS game. They lost to a bad Iowa team and their marquee win is over a 1-win Kansas team by 7 points. FSU will beat them by 20+ points.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:35 PM   #25
smkn69
I think if we had NIU schedule we would be 500 At best.
smkn69 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »