Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Breaking Down the Unbeatens: Real Deal and the Frauds

Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:29 AM   #76
beaboutillini74
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
To be comfortably in, yes. Win there and/or @Purdue. Or any other road game.
I feel that Purdue is a very winnable game this year. I think it plays in Illinois favor to play them the first game of the season on the road. If we can keep DJ Byrd under control I think we will win. If he is on fire from three we will have trouble. He has always been a pain in the butt against Illinois. I think this year Purdue is alot younger team and alot more is going to be expected of Byrd. In the game against Xavier the other day they didn't make a single three and it cost them the game at home. I don't know how many Byrd took but he had several. Inyears past with a veteran team it has been harder to contain him but I dont think it will be the case this year.
beaboutillini74 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:42 AM   #77
JoeJ
Think we should have made the jury is still out list. Certainly most of us are more hopeful than a month ago, and we certainly look darn good so far. Could not have won more games. The jury does not render a verdict until March. At this point I'm buying.
GO ILLINI!
JoeJ is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:21 AM   #78
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaboutillini74 View Post
I feel that Purdue is a very winnable game this year. I think it plays in Illinois favor to play them the first game of the season on the road. If we can keep DJ Byrd under control I think we will win. If he is on fire from three we will have trouble. He has always been a pain in the butt against Illinois. I think this year Purdue is alot younger team and alot more is going to be expected of Byrd. In the game against Xavier the other day they didn't make a single three and it cost them the game at home. I don't know how many Byrd took but he had several. Inyears past with a veteran team it has been harder to contain him but I dont think it will be the case this year.
Byrd went like 0-8 or 0-9 or something in that game.

For the season, I think he has been averaging around 7 attempts from 3 per game. I do agree we need to hold him in check. Terone Johnson will get his. Ronnie Johnson has been playing pretty well. AJ Hammons has had some flashes. Besides that, not much to be really worried about imo.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Kramer116 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:02 AM   #79
pckldr
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
The jury does not render a verdict until March.
GO ILLINI!
Exactly.
pckldr is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:39 AM   #80
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Personaly......I love it. It's motivation and locker room material for Groce to pump up this team and keep egos in check. It will help keep the high rankings in check. We certainly shouldn't be offended by national media doubting us since they probably haven't even watched us play this season and are basing everything on last years collapse.
BrooksTaylorFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:08 AM   #81
Illini70math
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
Personaly......I love it. It's motivation and locker room material for Groce to pump up this team and keep egos in check. It will help keep the high rankings in check. We certainly shouldn't be offended by national media doubting us since they probably haven't even watched us play this season and are basing everything on last years collapse.
Being ranked 13th and 14th in the national polls (which is pretty high considering we haven't played a single top 25 team) tends to make me think that we are NOT being judged by last season's collapse, but by this season's relatively weak schedule to date. The commentator is just saying that we will struggle against better competition, of which we will face a lot.

That is a very reasonable position at this point in time given how we have played since Maui. We have trailed at home late in the game to both Gardner-Webb and Georgia Tech. Until we beat a top 25 team, of which we will see quite a few in the B1G, there is no reason to think that we will do well against them.
Illini70math is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:13 AM   #82
griff94griff
Goodman is a baby back Biatch!!!
We have Bertrand alllll is good

griff94griff is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:15 AM   #83
Illwinsagain
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
No, but writers acknowledged that they didn't have Trevor Mbakwe due to injury, now they do. By the way does anyone else feel like Trevor has been like FOREVER?
He is approaching Jeff Settles territory!
Illwinsagain is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:17 AM   #84
WizardBill
Illini optimist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini70math View Post
...The commentator is just saying that we will struggle against better competition, of which we will face a lot....
Doesn't every team always struggle against better competition? I am saying, every time you play someone better, it is more difficult. This seems like a totally pointless thing to say. It is completely obvious. I guess they just need lines to speak or write. It is kind of like saying that grass is greener than the sky!

Please return Dead and Alive to Edwin Schrodinger
WizardBill is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:22 AM   #85
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Being ranked 13th and 14th in the national polls (which is pretty high considering we haven't played a single top 25 team) tends to make me think that we are NOT being judged by last season's collapse, but by this season's relatively weak schedule to date. The commentator is just saying that we will struggle against better competition, of which we will face a lot.

That is a very reasonable position at this point in time given how we have played since Maui. We have trailed at home late in the game to both Gardner-Webb and Georgia Tech. Until we beat a top 25 team, of which we will see quite a few in the B1G, there is no reason to think that we will do well against them.
I meant that they are expecting us to collapse like last seasons team. We did start 10-0 last year.
BrooksTaylorFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:24 AM   #86
ARay22
Quote:
Originally Posted by griff94griff View Post
Goodman is a baby back Biatch!!!
We have Bertrand alllll is good

I would have to agree with you griff94griff:laugh::laugh:

Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:28 AM   #87
Sure Shot
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruIllini89 View Post
What if Gonzaga wins a close one (squeaker) that makes Illinois a what, non-top25 team?

If we give Gonzaga a down-to-the-wire fight, that will be our most impressive result of the year, even if we lose.
Sure Shot is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:58 AM   #88
Botb9
Realist
Quote:

Oh but we sort of have. I'm certain Butler comes out of that UNC game ranked or at least receiving votes. Had the timing on the polls been different, that win looks more significant. Interesting how a number can completely change your perception of a team.

Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:59 AM   #89
Foo G
DHS Scholar Bowl Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illwinsagain View Post
He is approaching Jeff Settles territory!
* laughs and points *

You did it wrong!

(It's Jess Settles, BTW. Short for Jessica, I'm sure.)

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Foo G is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:07 AM   #90
cjcastan
I know that the staff and players are all repeating the mantra that ratings right now mean nothing, it's all about the end of the year.

But I hope Coach is printing these up nice and big and hanging them all over Ubben

More bulletin Board material from the world wide leader

Quote:
Illinois is off to a surprising 8-0 start under new coach John Groce. The program has faced a lot of turmoil over the past year, so I understand the buzz. But what has the program done to justify a No. 13 ranking? A neutral-site win over Butler in the Maui Invitational? Check the Illini's schedule. Definitely overrated. Are they even top 20?

Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:42 AM   #91
ctblaisdell83
Quote from Roy Scheider:

"We're gonna' need a bigger bulletin board"
ctblaisdell83 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:48 AM   #92
Illini70math
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botb9 View Post
Oh but we sort of have. I'm certain Butler comes out of that UNC game ranked or at least receiving votes. Had the timing on the polls been different, that win looks more significant. Interesting how a number can completely change your perception of a team.
Steve Alford, is that you? OK, let's just say that we beat an "effective" top 25 team and hang a banner!

You can't see me, but I'm flexin' them guns!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:51 AM   #93
PeoriaSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallrock98 View Post
Prepare to eat some crow Goodman!
+1, I'll take that bet with Mr. Goodman.
PeoriaSteve is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:52 AM   #94
Botb9
Realist
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcastan View Post
I know that the staff and players are all repeating the mantra that ratings right now mean nothing, it's all about the end of the year.

But I hope Coach is printing these up nice and big and hanging them all over Ubben

More bulletin Board material from the world wide leader
Keep it comin.

Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:54 AM   #95
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
I meant that they are expecting us to collapse like last seasons team. We did start 10-0 last year.
With a couple of impressive wins, @ Maryland & Gonzaga. Wheels came off rapidly, with the 11th game being the ugly UNLV loss @ UC.
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:55 AM   #96
PeoriaSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuist View Post
Unfortunately, 8-10 in the conference is quite possible (Ken Pom has us at 8-10 for example), and that will not send us to dance regardless of the non conference schedule.

8 wins: 2x Nebraska, 2x NW, and home against PSU, Minny, Purdue, Wisky
10 losses: 2x OSU, 2x Michigan, home against Indiana and away against MSU, Purdue, Wisky, Iowa, Minny,
I like our chances of winning at Purdue and Iowa. I think @ Wisky is a winnable game and @ MSU might be as well.

Last edited by PeoriaSteve; Dec 4, 2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:00 AM   #97
PeoriaSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisTradition1984 View Post
Thanks Mr. Goodman for some locker room motivation fodder ... Gonzaga has played NOBODY!!! We have beaten a tough Butler team and have a legitimate road win ... The only thing Gonzaga has going for it is a really big backcourt, and homecourt advantage ... I wouldn't be counting any chickens if I were a Gonzaga fan! I see us squeeking one out on the road ... We'll see ...
The Zags have a small backcourt, which I think we can exploit.. I think you meant really big frontcourt.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:00 AM   #98
rdk573
Banned
This board is going to have a meltdown as soon as we lose to a team would should beat...the Schizophrenia on this board is mind boggling...
rdk573 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:36 AM   #99
Illini70math
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdk573 View Post
This board is going to have a meltdown as soon as we lose to a team would should beat...the Schizophrenia on this board is mind boggling...
Maybe I am missing some subtle point here, but isn't schizophrenia usually mind boggling?

Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:45 AM   #100
illinifan31
Orange Krush Cow
Man we are just getting pooped on from all directions. Nobody thinks we are legit.
illinifan31 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »