Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Pregame: Illinois at Gonzaga, Saturday, December 8th, 9:00pm CT, ESPN2

Closed Thread

Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:52 PM   #276
troydove
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonZagNut View Post
The tent city will set the tone for a passionate and loud crowd. Plus it shows how important the big games are, especially against a #13 ranked Illinois. Congrats on your 9-0 start. Groce has reinvigorated the program and has used the strengths of each player whereas it seemed Weber tried to force square pegs into round holes when it was clear he could not match the success he had from 2002-2005. But Groce seems to find the holes that fit each player so the game plan fits the players.

I don't think Weber is hated or would get booed. But I do hope you will root for the Zags when we play Kansas St later this month.
Do Zag fans smoke soy-beans in those tents now that it's legal ?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:53 PM   #277
IlliniFreak7
Banned
If we can establish getting the ball inside and driving the lane early we will be far better off in this game. We need to get their bigs into foul trouble and open up the 3 point shot, especially as they will be less likely to bite knowing that weve been driving and throwing it in to our bigs. If we can do this, I think we have a legitimate shot. If not, we better be shooting lights out if we want a win.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:04 AM   #278
troydove
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexwaldez View Post
I liked Jason King's "at Gonzaga 81, Illinois 66: Let's just be honest -- the Illini aren't nearly as good as their record."

Bulletin board please. If we're going to be competitive we're going to have to come out and play pissed off from tip off. Can't wait! We're going to be spoilers in some games. I'd like this to be the first please.
+1 But that bible boy 9 footer with a headband scares me someone cut his hair.
It will be so loud in there, our boys will not be able to hear their own thoughts!
Is it game time YET
Old Dec 7, 2012, 02:34 AM   #279
SteakSandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue217 View Post
Indiana has 14 of 15 biggest HS gyms in the nation.
It's because the state of Indiana consolidated most of their high schools in the 80's leading to bigger schools and bigger gyms. While the great state of illinois has tiny high schools across the state.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:22 AM   #280
CAHALL15
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan31 View Post
Not really.

@bp3 #joetales Joe say "remember that time when I was good at basketball" nobody answer. "Ya me either" #lawlcats #BeatIllinois

@BP3 @iJoeTales "what time is the flight back from spokane? I'm tryna get back in time to see us lose on sportscenter!" Lmao #JoeTales

#JoeTales @bp3 We went to play at Gonzaga and lost. The crowd was too loud for us and some kid named @KPangos schooled us.

Joe "dang dawg when did assembly hall get even louder" @BP3 "naw man we in the Kennel now" #JoeTales
Thats one way to piss off a motivated Illinois team. Our teams, even under Weber, played well in Nationally televised games. Bp3 said he was watching tape from MAUI to remind everyone to bring the same intensity. I think BP3 goes off and JB has a solid performance. Maybe it's me, but these teams seem to be in the same boat. I cannot figure out how they are number ten. They lost Sacre and bring in a less talented big. I think we get the better of this one and win 78-64. Gonzaga just had their own scare against Washington State.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 05:54 AM   #281
kbo007
Anyone know what the line is for this game?

Old Dec 7, 2012, 06:32 AM   #282
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Gonzaga has shown it can win a close game

"The word that comes to mind is well-rounded," Groce said in describing Gonzaga. "I watch them and I just don't know if they have any weakness. They have depth, skill, athleticism, they play hard, they play together and from a statistical perspective, they're the second best team in the country when you compile all the numbers offensively and defensively."

Groce paused and then said, "I can see why potentially people say this may be the best team he's had."

"He," of course, is 49-year-old coach Mark Few, who has brushed aside countless coaching overtures and seems content to keep cranking out winner after winner at Gonzaga.

Tupper
Quote:
Zags a tough matchup for Illinois

Ken Pomeroy's numbers machine predicts No. 13 Illinois has a 15 percent chance of defeating No. 10 Gonzaga in Spokane on Saturday. Pomeroy, an innovator in basketball statistics, injects no opinion or bias into his projections. Like election wunderkind Nate Silver, Pomeroy's analysis is the product of an algorithm full of statistical inputs.

Those statistics - including offensive and defensive efficiency and adjusted tempo - currently rank the Bulldogs (9-0) as the eighth-best team in the country. Illinois, also 9-0, is rated 42nd.

So it makes sense that Pomeroy's numbers, which predict a 76-64 Gonzaga win, project such a small chance of victory for the Illini on the road.

Jeremy Werner
Quote:
Win against Gonzaga would bring respect

"We kind of liked flying under the radar. That's not happening; we can't control the rankings," senior Tyler Griffey said. "All we can control is how ready we'll be to play no matter what time it is, where it’s at or who we're playing."

Marcus Jackson
Old Dec 7, 2012, 06:39 AM   #283
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonZagNut View Post
The tent city will set the tone for a passionate and loud crowd. Plus it shows how important the big games are, especially against a #13 ranked Illinois. Congrats on your 9-0 start. Groce has reinvigorated the program and has used the strengths of each player whereas it seemed Weber tried to force square pegs into round holes when it was clear he could not match the success he had from 2002-2005. But Groce seems to find the holes that fit each player so the game plan fits the players.

I don't think Weber is hated or would get booed. But I do hope you will root for the Zags when we play Kansas St later this month.
Tent city??? What happened to your dog theme? The Pound sounds better. Party in the Pound before the game.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 06:59 AM   #284
MitchFromAtwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniByProxy View Post
Just saw an interesting stat. Gonzaga ranks 318th of 347 teams in the country in opponents percentage of points from 3 pointers. That's bodes well for our shooters. Let's hope we come out on fire!
This:

1) Doesn't surprise me from watching the WSU game.

and 2) Excites me. I REALLY like our chances tomorrow.

IMO, even though we are ranked 13th in the country, we are still "flying under the radar" for this game. No one is giving us a chance at all. Most people have already marked this up as a W for the zags. No pressure on our guys, all the pressure in the world on them. Counting down the minutes until 9:00pm CT tomorrow!!!

Go
Old Dec 7, 2012, 07:36 AM   #285
illiniobserver22
http://www.krem.com/sports/GU-studen....html?ref=next

This will be quite an atmosphere.

Btw, sweet mustache Pangos.

Old Dec 7, 2012, 07:42 AM   #286
Illini70math
Pomeroy often gives some interesting insights, but I will be surprised if UI scores only 64 points against the Zags.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:07 AM   #287
Leonardite
Quote:
Weekend Watch: No. 13 Illinois (9-0) at No. 10 Gonzaga (9-0)

Key stat: Rebounding and 3-point shooting. Gonzaga is outrebounding its opponents by almost 13 extra boards per game. That means extra possessions and easier baskets. The Zags are a good offensive rebounding team and have done a nice job of limiting opponents' second-shot opportunities. The Illini are really going to have to gang-rebound to keep up with the Zags on the backboards. Gonzaga is a good 3-point shooting team and its inside-out play can lead to open opportunities for Pangos and Bell Jr. But the key will be Gonzaga's ability to guard the 3-point line and limit open shots behind the arc by the Illini. They can stretch you and drive you, and Gonzaga has to run Illinois off the line.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/pa...120207/dec-7-9

So easy.
So easy.
So easy.

"Frank Williams putting on a show passing the rock! Driving, Drawing, and Dishing the rock! The three D's man!" --- The Frank Williams Show

Last edited by Dan; Dec 7, 2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:17 AM   #288
IlliniRunIn07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini70math View Post
Pomeroy often gives some interesting insights, but I will be surprised if UI scores only 64 points against the Zags.
+1. My thought process is that if we can keep them under 70, we win. Quite the reversal from the last few years of "first one to 60 wins."
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:18 AM   #289
cjcastan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardite View Post

Quote:
Once known as a driver, 70 of Richardsonís 90 shots have been behind the arc.
Lol when was he known as that Jay? 11th grade? :laugh:

Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:22 AM   #290
zpfled
After seeing KenPom's prediction, I'm very pessimistic. Still, 15% chance is better than no chance.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:35 AM   #291
cjcastan
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpfled View Post
After seeing KenPom's prediction, I'm very pessimistic. Still, 15% chance is better than no chance.
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor???!!!!

Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:42 AM   #292
zpfled
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcastan View Post
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor???!!!!
If they had Nate Silver or Ken Pomeroy back then, they could have learned the answer to that question in advance.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:46 AM   #293
Illini70math
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniRunIn07 View Post
+1. My thought process is that if we can keep them under 70, we win. Quite the reversal from the last few years of "first one to 60 wins."
Actually, a big part of my doubting Pomeroy's prediction of 64 points for the good guys is that we have scored 82, 73, and 79 (in regulation) against the Zags in the last three seasons. That's an average of 78 ppg for the Illini. They have not been good defensively against us in the series so far.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:49 AM   #294
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Actually, a big part of my doubting Pomeroy's prediction of 64 points for the good guys is that we have scored 82, 73, and 79 (in regulation) against the Zags in the last three seasons. That's an average of 78 ppg for the Illini. They have not been good defensively against us in the series so far.
+1 and we seem to be better offensively this year, than we were in the past.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:07 AM   #295
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Actually, a big part of my doubting Pomeroy's prediction
Minor nit, and I'm sure you know this, but it's not really a "prediction" but a "projection" based on his model.

Quote:
of 64 points for the good guys is that we have scored 82, 73, and 79 (in regulation) against the Zags in the last three seasons. That's an average of 78 ppg for the Illini. They have not been good defensively against us in the series so far.
He had their defense ranked #66, #32 and #34 nationally the previous 3 seasons, this year he has them #11, so quite a bit better. Of course it's still early and his numbers still include some data from last year, but he does think they've improved substantially.

The one interesting stat to me is they've allowed their opponents to take a lot of 3 point shots, #319 in the country for that stat. And Pomeroy feels the best 3 point defense is to not allow the attempt in the first place, so that may bode well for us.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:12 AM   #296
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
+1. I think we'll score in the low 70s FWIW. Only caveats are 1) this game is on the Zags' home court, 2) they'll have extra motivation after losing to us the last 2 years, 3) we're ranked 13th, putting a bulls-eye on our chest and 4) unlike with ML and MT at the 5, we're getting getting very little production from NE at the 5, forcing us to rely more heavily on our guards to carry the scoring load. Plus this is the Zags' best team in years IMO. They're more experienced and more well rounded than the last 2 or 3 GZ squads. I think it'll be a competitive game, but we have some tough odds against us.

OH, and 5) it's a nationally televised Saturday night game, so the crowd will be extra loud. Saturday night tends to bring out the noise in college BB crowds, coupled with ESPN there and facing a top-20 team from a BCS conference.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:19 AM   #297
Botb9
Realist
Biggest game of the year, so far. Could be the biggest game in five years. Could be the game that says Illinois is back. If we lose this, I don't think it's the end of the season, though. The odds are stacked against us in so many ways.

Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:31 AM   #298
VAIllini35
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
+1. I think we'll score in the low 70s FWIW. Only caveats are 1) this game is on the Zags' home court, 2) they'll have extra motivation after losing to us the last 2 years, 3) we're ranked 13th, putting a bulls-eye on our chest and 4) unlike with ML and MT at the 5, we're getting getting very little production from NE at the 5, forcing us to rely more heavily on our guards to carry the scoring load. Plus this is the Zags' best team in years IMO. They're more experienced and more well rounded than the last 2 or 3 GZ squads. I think it'll be a competitive game, but we have some tough odds against us.
Agree this game will be a tough challenge and I'd LOVE to have a "2012-13" version of ML on the team - but there were many games last year he drove me nuts with soft and bonehead play. TG/ML 2011-12 were 18 pts per game. TG/NE are about 16.4 per game - so not that far off - just spread out over more TG.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:36 AM   #299
classof2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumanimal View Post
Isn't the Kennel about the size of the Maui gym? Right up there with Combes gym in Champaign?
Combes Gym baby now that's a tough place to play. Gotta give a shoutout to the Maroons tonight against Centennial too! We have a 2 game winning streak on the line
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:43 AM   #300
SOILL-ILLINIFAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botb9 View Post
Biggest game of the year, so far. Could be the biggest game in five years. Could be the game that says Illinois is back. If we lose this, I don't think it's the end of the season, though. The odds are stacked against us in so many ways.
You are exactly right!

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »