Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:32 AM   #7051
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
The only guy let go so far was the head trainer and they cut him loose in a hurry. Was he the leak?
It very well could be. I just wonder why all the beat writers would take something they are getting from a head trainer as such Gospel.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:37 AM   #7052
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
It very well could be. I just wonder why all the beat writers would take something they are getting from a head trainer as such Gospel.
A guy like that could share what he was hearing from players and coaches. At least some of it would probably be true.

Most of the time someone in that sort of position wouldn't risk his job, but obviously there was someone with access to the locker room talking to the local media.

Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:39 AM   #7053
CUWPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
mhuml32...almost time to crank up that 2014 list as it's growing rather large

Also, you forgot mark Eric Finney as a commit to the Illini.
And Abens Cajuste. Great list and thanks for keeping it up.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:41 AM   #7054
quhawks12
Quote:
The only guy let go so far was the head trainer and they cut him loose in a hurry. Was he the leak?
Interesting theory that's for sure.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:33 AM   #7055
TheSecretWeapon
Quote:
could be. There was also someone on here shortly after that announcement with an angry post about how he's glad the guy could "get the hell away from Beckman" or something like that. Was the trainer a holdover from the prior staff?

Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:40 AM   #7056
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecretWeapon View Post
could be. There was also someone on here shortly after that announcement with an angry post about how he's glad the guy could "get the hell away from Beckman" or something like that. Was the trainer a holdover from the prior staff?
The trainer was just hired in May. He was an intern at MSU, so perhaps had some indirect connection to Beckman through Dantonio?

Brooks resigned three weeks before the end of the season and let right after the last game. Unusual circumstances to say the least.

Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:48 AM   #7057
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecretWeapon View Post
Might just be coincidence, but the flaming 247 post saying Beckman might be fired, coaches wanted out, and citing internal sources was put up on Nov. 9. That would be the week that Scott Brooks, the head trainer, resigned.

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forum...58&postcount=1

Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:55 AM   #7058
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Might just be coincidence, but the flaming 247 post saying Beckman might be fired, coaches wanted out, and citing internal sources was put up on Nov. 9. That would be the week that Scott Brooks, the head trainer, resigned.

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forum...58&postcount=1
Seems to be a bit more than coincidence no?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:14 AM   #7059
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
Seems to be a bit more than coincidence no?
Yes, the timing of events is certainly suspicious. The damaging leaks have ceased and only one football staffer was let go. Hmm...

I wonder if Mr. Brooks had a serious personality conflict with Beckman. He wasn't with the team during spring practice, so this fall was their first real opportunity to work together.

Looking at his profile, Scott is in his early 30's with just 4.5 years of experience as a college athletic trainer plus a one-year internship at Michigan State and 5 years as a high school athletic trainer. I'm guessing it might be hard to find another job comparable to his position at Illinois.

Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:56 AM   #7060
quhawks12
Alright...back to recruiting. Big visit weekend I'm going to attempt to start a list (everyone remember that it's hard to keep this accurate a lot of times there are kids who visit who no one has no clue about like a certain HS CB last 2 weekends ago):

Kenton Gibbs
Josh Augusta
Mike Smithburg
Dallas Hinkhouse (Commit)

That is all I have so far has anyone heard of any others?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:14 PM   #7061
Groundhogday
Quote:
Big visit weekend I'm going to attempt to start a list :

Kenton Gibbs
Josh Augusta
Mike Smithburg
Dallas Hinkhouse (Commit)

That is all I have so far has anyone heard of any others?
  • Any news on Rodney Mathews?
  • I'm feeling pretty good about Smithburg.
  • It sure would be nice to get Gibbs or Augusta.

Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:16 PM   #7062
quhawks12
Quote:
  • Any news on Rodney Mathews?
  • I'm feeling pretty good about Smithburg.
  • It sure would be nice to get Gibbs or Augusta.
Just the news in the article on Rivals yesterday. We should know soon.

I also feel good almost like Smithburg is a lock. I don't want to jinx it...crap...I should have typed that...

I'd prefer Augusta because of pure ceiling and raw talent. But either one would be solid.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:19 PM   #7063
goillini75
GO ILLINI GO
well first thing i am wondering if there is going to be changes in the coaching staff why hasn't it happened already. To me if we get rid of some of them know isn't there a possibility that the kids they are in charge of might just go with them. Wouldn't we rather have fired them already and hired another coach and atleast the kids know what they are getting themselves into.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:51 PM   #7064
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini75 View Post
well first thing i am wondering if there is going to be changes in the coaching staff why hasn't it happened already. To me if we get rid of some of them know isn't there a possibility that the kids they are in charge of might just go with them. Wouldn't we rather have fired them already and hired another coach and atleast the kids know what they are getting themselves into.
I would guess that maybe if it were to happen they would wait until JUCO signing day has passed since most effort is being put into that at the moment...
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:40 PM   #7065
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini75 View Post
  • Position coaches change all the time in college football. You recruit kids to the school and program.
  • It is good practice to give a coach who won't be back the chance to find a new position. This is better for everyone.

Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:41 PM   #7066
calibear
Just speculating here but I am thinking the last few commits might be slow in being announced. My belief is it will is like an nfl draft board. A specific order as to who the take and therefore will wait for a certain guy to declare in or out before looking towards the next. The only exception would be due to identical rankings at identical important positions of need.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:47 PM   #7067
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibear View Post
Just speculating here but I am thinking the last few commits might be slow in being announced. My belief is it will is like an nfl draft board. A specific order as to who the take and therefore will wait for a certain guy to declare in or out before looking towards the next. The only exception would be due to identical rankings at identical important positions of need.
That is certainly possible now that we are getting down the last few scholarships in the class. For example, Mathews might be ready to commit but Cherry might be a higher priority at DE. This would also explain the commitment from Hinkhouse before he even visited: use it or lose it.

Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:08 PM   #7068
ILLiniJoe32390
Banned
Anyone want to take a guess at the order of that board?? Mine would look like this..
1: Augusta
2A: Matthews
2B: Smithburg
Close 3: Timmons
4: Cherry
5: That other Texas WR who I can't think of his name
6: John Armstrong

Obviously if a surprise highly rated recruit like Treadwell wants to come on board he automatically jumps to number 1.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:12 PM   #7069
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLiniJoe32390 View Post
Anyone want to take a guess at the order of that board?? Mine would look like this..

Obviously if a surprise highly rated recruit like Treadwell wants to come on board he automatically jumps to number 1.
1.Smithburg
2.Mathew
3. Cherry
4. Anyone else.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:16 PM   #7070
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLiniJoe32390 View Post
There are two lists (a) spring enrollees and (b) fall enrollees. If there is a hard cap on spring enrollees at 13 (as Beckman said) then we only have two slots left. But we could potentially sign as many as 32 overall, so potentially another 4 fall enrollees.

My hunch is that we take a commitment from Smithburg if we can get it with the other JC slot going to Mathews or Cherry.

Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:15 PM   #7071
calibear
Quote:
1.Smithburg
2.Mathew
3. Cherry
4. Anyone else.
I'll play but based on the how I rated the tapes. I will also put the rating number beside the player. Used the rivals system and based on only having hilite reels in some cases of less than 3 minutes others over 11 I hedged on numbers. Ex: a guy got a 5.6/5.7 thus a 5.65 unlike rivals who saw camps and other information where he be given a single number say 5.6. list to follow on next post.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:23 PM   #7072
calibear
Easy starter
1 OT Kondolo 5.75
2 CB Frazier 5.9
3 SS/FS Al-Uqdah 5.7
4 UT Augusta 5.7
5 OG Smithburg 5.65
6 SS/FS Mathews 5.65
7Ut KGibbs 5.65
That is based on who on our offer listI believe still has some genuine interest in coming to CU.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:32 PM   #7073
calibear
Easy to start
1 OT Kondolo 5.75
2 CB Frazier 5.9
3 SS/Fs Al-Uqdah 5.7
4 UT Augusta 5.7
5 OG Smithburg 5.65
6 SS/FS Mathews 5.65
7 WR Timmons 5.65
8 UT Gibbs 5.65
Sorry missed Timmons and actually we can probably skip 3 and 4 as my gut says they are not going to come to CU.

Last edited by calibear; Dec 11, 2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:21 PM   #7074
quhawks12
WHOA!!!! Guthrie flips!!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:22 PM   #7075
Dan
Admin
Quote:
JUCO DB David Guthrie, from College of the Siskiyous, has commited to #Illinois. More to come soon.

http://twitter.com/FletcherPage
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »