Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Kendrick Nunn and Jaylon Tate on ESPN Dec. 13th

Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:29 PM   #201
jrichisamazing
Nothing impressive tonight but its understandable. Game on ESPN so every player on the court is trying to do more than they should and force things. Also Simeon's second game so still not at the peak of their game.

Groce has so far shown that he gets players to improve over the summer...IMO every player on the team this year is better than last year. So as long as he keeps recruiting guys who are superior athletes and want to work hard (like Nunn) then there is no doubt we will have a very bright future.
jrichisamazing is online now Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:33 PM   #202
DaytonIllini
Can we now dispense w the silly notion that Simeon could make the NCAA tournament? I believe it was the Brothers.

Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:34 PM   #203
Combo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeThomas4Prez View Post
Ive seen a couple other games, and I think he is certainly a standout player, worthy of the accolades he has received.

But I think the media gets carried away and throws around certain things and Ive interpreted it as he is a Lebron james type player/talent. I remember watching Lebron's high school games on ESPN, and Ive seen lots of Kobe's footage from HS. To me Jabari is not in that elite class. Is he in the Derrick Rose/Telfair (he was really good in HS, but obviously didnt transfer to NBA) class - probably but I dont think its unfair for an argument to be made he might not be just below that. Just going off what Ive seen. My judgement of Jabari has nothing to do with tonight, that would not be fair at all.

Gee, ya think! Every year, there is a "best since Lebron/Magic/Michael" prospect. The media is in business to get readers/fans excited and sell magazines. In addition with Jabari, you've got the personal interest story of him being Mormon which is pretty rare for highly-touted African-American athletes. So yes, he is over-hyped.

Having said that, Jabari is an excellent prospect, probably deserving of the #2 ranking in the '13 class. He is coming back from an injury and is out of shape. He'll be an excellent college player for a year or two, then make lots of money in the NBA. Any school would love to have him for that year or two.
Combo is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:37 PM   #204
illbasketfan
Also whos idea was it to wear grey uniforms and the home wore white
illbasketfan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:03 AM   #205
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
Can we now dispense w the silly notion that Simeon could make the NCAA tournament? I believe it was the Brothers.
I wouldn't give up on them just yet. Their SOS could help them. They don't have any cupcakes on the schedule because JP ate them all!!
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:10 AM   #206
DrewD007
Jaylon's halfcourt alleyoop to Kendrick made Sportscenter's Top 10!
DrewD007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:12 AM   #207
illbasketfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyIllini View Post
JP is a very disappointing player.

Turnover machine

No hops

Not smart with the ball

Can't shoot

I am still trying to figure out why he is #2 in the country? There were at least six players on the floor that played way better than him. He is hurt, yes, but at 70 percent and the #2 player in the country he should be better than any of them on the floor.

The two Illinois players played decently and for high school they made high school mistakes because they played way too fast. I think that problem is fixable but I am happy they are coming here.
This is obviously a :laugh: right!!!
illbasketfan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:22 AM   #208
ChiCityHoops34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeThomas4Prez View Post
Ive seen a couple other games, and I think he is certainly a standout player, worthy of the accolades he has received.

But I think the media gets carried away and throws around certain things and Ive interpreted it as he is a Lebron james type player/talent. I remember watching Lebron's high school games on ESPN, and Ive seen lots of Kobe's footage from HS. To me Jabari is not in that elite class. Is he in the Derrick Rose/Telfair (he was really good in HS, but obviously didnt transfer to NBA) class - probably but I dont think its unfair for an argument to be made he might not be just below that. Just going off what Ive seen. My judgement of Jabari has nothing to do with tonight, that would not be fair at all.
Yeah derrick rose didn't transfer to the nba. Youngest MVP of all time. Either my sarcastic meter is broke or this is the worst post I have ever seen.

(I do agree jabari is over rated but saying derrick didn't transfer to the NBA is completely false.)

Last edited by ChiCityHoops34; Dec 14, 2012 at 12:29 AM. Reason: added to post
ChiCityHoops34 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:27 AM   #209
Illiniwek06
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCityHoops34 View Post
Yeah derrick rose didn't transfer to the nba. Youngest MVP of all time. Either my sarcastic meter is broke or this is the worst post I have ever seen.
Or you misread his post. He was referring to Telfair for the portion you are referencing.
Illiniwek06 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:36 AM   #210
ChiCityHoops34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiniwek06 View Post
Or you misread his post. He was referring to Telfair for the portion you are referencing.
Ah okok sorry mt4prez! Misread. Derrick is a soft spot for me got defensive haha
ChiCityHoops34 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:14 AM   #211
Bailey
Did DJ Williams not see the floor or something?
Bailey is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:24 AM   #212
SimonHoffman
Actually, D.J. Williams played considerable minutes. Just didn't produce much. Too many other options ahead of him. You can see the raw ability though. Should be Coupet/Williams team next year.

Last edited by SimonHoffman; Dec 14, 2012 at 01:35 AM.
SimonHoffman is online now Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:39 AM   #213
SteakSandwich
Does anyone know about a replay of the game?
SteakSandwich is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:53 AM   #214
Mark Seifert
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
Jaylon's halfcourt alleyoop to Kendrick made Sportscenter's Top 10!
Just saw that too! Along with a mention that they're headed to Illinois. Very nice
Mark Seifert is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:59 AM   #215
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteakSandwich View Post
Does anyone know about a replay of the game?
It's on espn3.com:

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/...pn3/id/688305/
HsvIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:06 AM   #216
Rich
JFG Fan Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvIllini View Post
Don't have time for a full game! Where is the JT+KN alley oop top play?
Rich is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:30 AM   #217
peace davids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Don't have time for a full game! Where is the JT+KN alley oop top play?
about 10:25 in.
peace davids is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:00 AM   #218
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace davids View Post
about 10:25 in.
Thanks, I was wondering that myself!
HsvIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:05 AM   #219
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
I wouldn't give up on them just yet. Their SOS could help them. They don't have any cupcakes on the schedule because JP ate them all!!
That's funny.

You know I broke my leg in college. I don't recall becoming a fat-ass though.

Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:20 AM   #220
CUWPC
Geez have some of you never watched a high school game? Most are sloppy like this. Once Nunn is in an offense that has several set play that create shots for shooters he will look better. Plus, once these kids get to college the level of coaching jumps through the roof. More specialized coaching and individual drills. Imagine a high school team with so much talent trying to have enough time to spend with each player, plus having a megastar in JP on the team. I watched most of the game and thought Nunn and Tate played very well. Yes there were mistakes, but when you watch these kids you can see that they have the skill. Go out and watch your local high school and that will put it into perspective. You will not see the same talent on the floor. Very excited for the future.
CUWPC is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:23 AM   #221
bartwa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
Did DJ Williams not see the floor or something?
It was hard to ever figure out who was on the floor besides JP or the kid going to Duke. I thought the play by play coverage was terrible.
bartwa is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:26 AM   #222
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by illbasketfan View Post
All I can do is Laugh at these comments
Seriously I can't believe some of these.

Jabari Parker is so out of shape it is not even funny. He looks like he is at 250-260 range. Once he gets back to his playing weight of about 225, watch out.

This kid is going to be a beast next season for whoever he plays. He is a shell of his normal self right now (and that is being generous).

For those who tonight is the first time seeing Parker play, you are going to be shocked next time you see him play (maybe his first college game).

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Kramer116 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:03 AM   #223
Dan
Admin
Quote:
That was Simeon's first loss to a public school since Young beat them on Feb. 16, 2011.

Parker finished with 5 points, 1-11 from the field, 6 turnovers. Simeon had 23 TO's. Tate scored 11, Nunn had 12. Jones scored 22 for DeSoto

Simeon loses to DeSoto, TX and their national title hopes dwindle: http://j.mp/VFqrFD

http://twitter.com/michaelsobrien
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:14 AM   #224
whitesxfan2012
Orange & Blue tweety bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seifert View Post
Just saw that too! Along with a mention that they're headed to Illinois. Very nice
Anyone have this up on YOUTUBE yet?? Link
whitesxfan2012 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:32 AM   #225
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
Simeon just looked so disjointed last night. It's obviously a result of Parker missing so much time. Hard for a team to adjust when their star player is struggling with conditioning. Desoto was very impressive on the defensive side of the ball. Simeon looked out of sync, but you have to give Desoto a lot of credit for that. Their defense won that game.

1) My opinion is that Jabari Parker has been overhyped for a couple years now. He is obviously a very good player with rare skills for a guy that size. I just don't think he's a transcendent talent like a Lebron or Durant. I don't think he comes in and dominates as a freshman the way Carmelo Anthony, Michael Beasley, Blake Griffin or Anthony Davis did. I'd rather have Wiggins than Parker. That said, Parker is terribly out of shape after not playing at all for several months. Anyone judging him based on his performance last night is a fool.

2) Jaylon Tate is a terrific ball handler and lightning quick with the ball. Very tight handle. The dumb turnovers don't worry me a bit. It happens in high school ball. It won't happen in college. I don't know if he can shoot, as he literally didn't take one jump shot that I can recall. But he can get to the rim. He looked better than I expected.

3) Nunn had an off night. Hard to judge him based off this performance, but he obviously showed what kind of athlete he is. Get him into college and working with our coaches and we'll see the player he truly is.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »