Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:46 PM   #7601
ILLiniJoe32390
Banned
Posts: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinidarrin View Post
I dont have premium, but i just saw an interesting headline from Rivals about Gibbs. "Gibbs getting the feel for Illinois again". I'm hoping that means that he is really thinking about committing again.
Gibbs would be a very good pick up for the D line and would be a great replacement for the hit we took with Kragen going to cal
ILLiniJoe32390 is offline
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:47 PM   #7602
ILLiniJoe32390
Banned
Posts: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetheillini View Post
Yes!!! Do you think we will get another DE since Kragen has left us?
I feel like the only DE we would take would be a HSer. And that woud be Mr. Paul Jmes out of Miami.
ILLiniJoe32390 is offline
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:55 PM   #7603
illinidarrin
illinidarrin's Avatar
Location: from parts unknown
Posts: 2,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetheillini View Post
Yes!!! Do you think we will get another DE since Kragen has left us?
Dont know.
illinidarrin is offline
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:11 PM   #7604
Juice
Juice's Avatar
Posts: 2,259
Gotta like how we sit with Gibbs now again. I'm sure Spence told the coaching staff a few weeks in advance so you can bet they were selling him on that this past weekend on his visit (possible playing time and Illinois having produced a lot of NFL DLinemen lately).
Juice is offline
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:18 PM   #7605
RHITIllini
RHITIllini's Avatar
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLiniJoe32390 View Post
I feel like the only DE we would take would be a HSer. And that woud be Mr. Paul Jmes out of Miami.
Probably take Dunbar or Augusta too.
RHITIllini is offline
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:01 PM   #7606
ILLiniJoe32390
Banned
Posts: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHITIllini View Post
Probably take Dunbar or Augusta too.
I was considering Augusta a DT
ILLiniJoe32390 is offline
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:31 PM   #7607
HsvIllini
HsvIllini's Avatar
Location: Alabama
Posts: 4,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
Wow. Reggie spearman treatment is right. I am committed to Illinois but looking at other places also... Uhh, what? Lol I don't think I will ever get that. Would be good to keep him, but I wouldn't be devastated.. Didn't realize he was that highly regarded of in the state
I don't get it either
HsvIllini is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:54 AM   #7608
ILLiniJoe32390
Banned
Posts: 775
Do these recruiting services do a Post HS season recruiting update on all the players?
ILLiniJoe32390 is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:46 AM   #7609
AHSIllini32
Banned
Posts: 8,257
So will there be a press release put out saying who all has signed today?
AHSIllini32 is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:22 AM   #7610
AHSIllini32
Banned
Posts: 8,257
Dillan Cazley will be here this Spring!

Quote:
@MattWettersten

Dillan Cazley signing with #Illini football http://pic.twitter.com/QIk4RWfs

Jesse Chadwell is in!

Quote:
@jrchadwell

Just signed my official letter of intent #Illini

Last edited by Dan; Dec 19, 2012 at 08:59 AM.
AHSIllini32 is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:37 AM   #7611
Dadofagrad
Location: north suburbs
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Nice thing about being at the bottom is there is nowhere to go but up
Exactly. If not for the campus and the quality of education I have no clue why anyone with pro aspirations would choose this program.
Dadofagrad is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:42 AM   #7612
AHSIllini32
Banned
Posts: 8,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadofagrad View Post
Exactly. If not for the campus and the quality of education I have no clue why anyone with pro aspirations would choose this program.
You do know we have more first round picks in the last couple of years than I think any other school right? Having pro aspirations should be way down on the list of why players wouldn't choose this program.

Glad you aren't the one trying to sell it....
AHSIllini32 is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:49 AM   #7613
quhawks12
Location: Hamilton County, IN
Posts: 4,429
FYI...for you guys who were arguing on Rivals rankings and Team Rankings. It is only based on the Top 20 guys on the commit list.

Quote:
The main part of the formula is now a point scale reflecting the average Rivals Rating of a team's top 20 signees.

The second part of the formula is a bonus point scale for prospects ranked in the Rivals250. This applies to all commitments in a team's class.
It's also done off a point system. And you get bonus points for having a guy in the Rivals250. The higher they are rated (not stars) the more point you get.
quhawks12 is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:53 AM   #7614
AHSIllini32
Banned
Posts: 8,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
FYI...for you guys who were arguing on Rivals rankings and Team Rankings. It is only based on the Top 20 guys on the commit list.



It's also done off a point system. And you get bonus points for having a guy in the Rivals250. The higher they are rated (not stars) the more point you get.
So they only use top 20 in terms of Rivals points. So basically the rankings are how the top of your class stacks up with the top of other teams classes. When they say "average rivals rating" do they mean stars or do players get a certain number of points based on their star rankings?

Interesting to see that the top of our class is actually quite good.
AHSIllini32 is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:55 AM   #7615
quhawks12
Location: Hamilton County, IN
Posts: 4,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
So they only use top 20 in terms of Rivals points. So basically the rankings are how the top of your class stacks up with the top of other teams classes. When they say "average rivals rating" do they mean stars or do players get a certain number of points based on their star rankings?

Interesting to see that the top of our class is actually quite good.
Team rankings are based on points. And those points are only taken from the top 20 guys. At least that's how I understand it.

So, the argument of "it's the quantity of guys who bumped our ranking up" is no longer true or possible.
quhawks12 is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:58 AM   #7616
AHSIllini32
Banned
Posts: 8,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
Team rankings are based on points. And those points are only taken from the top 20 guys. At least that's how I understand it.

So, the argument of "it's the quantity of guys who bumped our ranking up" is no longer true or possible.
I understand that part but this is the part I'm confused about:

Quote:
The main part of the formula is now a point scale reflecting the average Rivals Rating of a team's top 20 signees
So when they say "average Rivals Rating" does that mean that guys who are rated 2*'s get a certain point value or is it based on the 5.6, 5.7, 5.8, etc. ratings that have points attached to them?

EDIT: turns out I just had to click the link....my bad.

Last edited by AHSIllini32; Dec 19, 2012 at 07:02 AM.
AHSIllini32 is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:03 AM   #7617
Dadofagrad
Location: north suburbs
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
You do know we have more first round picks in the last couple of years than I think any other school right? Having pro aspirations should be way down on the list of why players wouldn't choose this program.

Glad you aren't the one trying to sell it....
Last ten years.
2002 5-7 4-4 5th
2003 1-11 0-8 11th
2004 3-8 1-7 T-10th
2005 2-9 0-8 11th
2006 2-10 1-7 T-10th
2007 9-4 6-2 T-2nd Rose #20 (AP), #13 (Harris), #18 (Coaches)[8]
2008 5-7 3-5 T-6th
2009 3-9 2-6 9th
2010 7-6 4-4 4th Texas
2011 7-6 2-6 5th in Leaders Division Kraft
2012 zero conf. wins.

Your right. You can't sell it based on football which was exactly my point. I love the school and suffer through the seasons and the games I sat through none the less. Why we can not be at least a contender year after year is beyond me.
Dadofagrad is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:19 AM   #7618
AHSIllini32
Banned
Posts: 8,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadofagrad View Post
Your right. You can't sell it based on football which was exactly my point. I love the school and suffer through the seasons and the games I sat through none the less. Why we can not be at least a contender year after year is beyond me.
No, your point was that anyone with pro aspirations shouldn't come here. Our records over the last 10 years are irrelevant to that point.

As you why we can't be a contender year after year...well that's what we all want isn't it? I wish I had an answer for you because if I did, I'd be on the phone with Mike Thomas right now.
AHSIllini32 is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:33 AM   #7619
Calvin
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadofagrad View Post
Why we can not be at least a contender year after year is beyond me.
I see it just the opposite. I don't see HOW we can be a contender. When you consider how recruiting works, and how the big guns (Mich, OSU, Nebraska, PSU) have so much booster $ working for them, and how good the second tier often is in the BIG (Wiscy, MSU, Iowa), how does a smallish stadium and limited fan enthusiasm get you up with the top tier of programs? People say you have to win, but that's an enormous building job I just can't see happening given the culture surrounding the campus and relative distance to population centers. Even if you get lucky with a great coaching hire or staff hires, we don't compete strongly enough to hold onto talent.

Basketball is another matter. I think we would (and should) step up to the plate if Groce maintains the kind of improvement he's started.
Calvin is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:48 AM   #7620
AHSIllini32
Banned
Posts: 8,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
I see it just the opposite. I don't see HOW we can be a contender. When you consider how recruiting works, and how the big guns (Mich, OSU, Nebraska, PSU) have so much booster $ working for them, and how good the second tier often is in the BIG (Wiscy, MSU, Iowa), how does a smallish stadium and limited fan enthusiasm get you up with the top tier of programs? People say you have to win, but that's an enormous building job I just can't see happening given the culture surrounding the campus and relative distance to population centers. Even if you get lucky with a great coaching hire or staff hires, we don't compete strongly enough to hold onto talent.

Basketball is another matter. I think we would (and should) step up to the plate if Groce maintains the kind of improvement he's started.
How did Wisky turn into a contender? How did Iowa turn into a contender (for the most part)?

The same way Illinois has to. If those two schools can do it, so can Illinois.
AHSIllini32 is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:04 AM   #7621
AHSIllini32
Banned
Posts: 8,257
Quote:
@IllinoisRivals

#Illini have received a letter of intent from JUCO OT Dallas Hinkhouse from Iowa Western C.C. http://rivals.yahoo.com/illinois/foo...00VaXOGe06sJB4
AHSIllini32 is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:13 AM   #7622
illinidarrin
illinidarrin's Avatar
Location: from parts unknown
Posts: 2,495
That is huge! I'm glad we will get some of this done today. It would be nice to see a last second signing.
illinidarrin is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:16 AM   #7623
AHSIllini32
Banned
Posts: 8,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinidarrin View Post
That is huge! I'm glad we will get some of this done today. It would be nice to see a last second signing.
No kidding. Didn't Beck man said they expected around 10 early signees?
AHSIllini32 is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:17 AM   #7624
illinidarrin
illinidarrin's Avatar
Location: from parts unknown
Posts: 2,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
No kidding. Didn't Beck man said they expected around 10 early signees?
Somewhere around there.
illinidarrin is offline
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:27 AM   #7625
quhawks12
Location: Hamilton County, IN
Posts: 4,429
This article gives you a good look at the 2014 kids.
quhawks12 is offline
Closed Thread


« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Forum Jump