Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Former Villanova PG Ty Johnson to transfer to South Carolina

Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:55 AM   #126
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
The fact that he hasn't played means he still has 3 full seasons of eligibility, it doesn't affect when he's eligible to play at Illinois. NCAA rules clearly state an athlete must complete a full year residency at the new school before they are eligible. Since he's still been attending classes and practicing with his team at Villanova, that full year hasn't started yet.

We should find out where he's going pretty soon since he'll need to enroll for the spring semester at his new school.
TJ did practice with Nova this fall and appeared in a game (might have been exhibition), thus I'm thinking 2.5 years rather than 3. However as previously stated it would be 3 B1G plus tourney seasons.
But he does need to get enrolled quickly wherever he's going.
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:17 AM   #127
AlmostFamous79
Getting a pg, especially one that was rated as high as Ty Johnson, would be a phenomenal get. I don't see other legit options out there for Illinois till maybe 2015. I guess if we stayed incredibly hot then a Jaquan Lyle might be in play. Larry Austin doesn't look to be a huge priority for Illinois, but I could be wrong.

I think we all know that we are going to have at least one defection, and probably two after this season, or potentially next week. I think the coaches have to be real with these two kids and let them know that they are not in their plans and that a transfer to a better situation with more PT is in everyone's best interest. Especially the players.

Sometimes in business, marriage, college, things don't work out and change is needed.
If I were MS I would look at transferring to a Depaul or UIC. Close to home and definitely will see the court at either of these places. If I were ID, I would look at maybe an Illinois St. or Bradley type situation. A low major I think for both guys would be a great way to get on the court for many meaningful minutes.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a coach telling two kids he didn't recruit that they are not a fit in his program. Then work together to find a more advantageous situation for the player. This is just honesty. Not Creaning.
AlmostFamous79 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:51 AM   #128
RHITIllini
http://www.goupstate.com/article/201...975/-1/PSPORTS
RHITIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:11 PM   #129
RyanK
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHITIllini View Post
Johnson visiting Sunday.
RyanK is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:16 PM   #130
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
Johnson visiting Sunday.
Weather permitting!! Not good on the East Coast right now, but for a kid to make it to C/U this Sunday surely says he is seriously interested.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:16 PM   #131
AlmostFamous79
Ty Johnson visiting Sunday... I like it. If Illinois adds him is this therefore goodbye to ID??
AlmostFamous79 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:19 PM   #132
RyanK
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostFamous79 View Post
Ty Johnson visiting Sunday... I like it. If Illinois adds him is this therefore goodbye to ID??
The fact he's visiting makes me think someone is gone.
RyanK is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:20 PM   #133
IlliniByProxy
Quote:
Agreed, I think we'll know a lot more after next Saturdays game.
IlliniByProxy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:27 PM   #134
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
I hope weather and scenery aren't factors for him. Central Illinois in the middle of a cold spell vs. South Carolina? Not pretty. Thankfully he's coming from NJ and not some warm state.

Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:45 PM   #135
troyk
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
I hope weather and scenery aren't factors for him. Central Illinois in the middle of a cold spell vs. South Carolina? Not pretty. Thankfully he's coming from NJ and not some warm state.
Colbert chose us over Miami.
troyk is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:46 PM   #136
Hugh Jorgen
Quote:
Johnson visiting Sunday.
This is evidence of how important it was for Groce and his staff to have a surprise season...one where we exceeded expectations from the standpoint of the product looking good on the court and winning enough to get some national recognition in recruits eyes.

This start has been beyond all expectations so far, and it is no doubt capturing the attention of kids who Groce has been recruiting in the past, and kids in Johnson's situation who look at Illinois and say "wow, I can see how I could flourish in that system...and those guys are having fun."

I guess we'll see soon enough. Right now, I just want a big WIN Saturday.
Hugh Jorgen is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:50 PM   #137
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyk View Post
Colbert chose us over Miami.
Yes he did.

Now let's hope weather isn't a deciding factor for Johnson.

Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:56 PM   #138
Kramer116
Basketball school vs football school.

I like our chances in this one, especially after how we started this season.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Kramer116 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:58 PM   #139
Illiniwek_2
Well not saying anything new here but

Rivals #52 rated player for 2011, #11 point guard, 4 stars
Has had a year of NCAA experience to get over the freshman growing pains, will be physically a junior by the time he starts his next year of eligibility.

On paper it looks like he could turn out to be very good but of course some things don't pan out either. With our hopes for 2014 either on Lyle, Zabo, or Mitchell, Groce must have the best feel for the situation. imo if Ty Johnson wants to play at Illinois you take him.
Illiniwek_2 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:58 PM   #140
illiniobserver22
Quote:
There is a scholarship open right now. Nobody would have to leave until fall semester.

Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:01 PM   #141
justsomedude
Quote:
Maybe, but they can take one on this year and still be in compliance.
justsomedude is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:02 PM   #142
URH Snyder 490
Class of '91, Orange Krush '89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgen View Post
This is evidence of how important it was for Groce and his staff to have a surprise season...one where we exceeded expectations from the standpoint of the product looking good on the court and winning enough to get some national recognition in recruits eyes.

This start has been beyond all expectations so far, and it is no doubt capturing the attention of kids who Groce has been recruiting in the past, and kids in Johnson's situation who look at Illinois and say "wow, I can see how I could flourish in that system...and those guys are having fun."

I guess we'll see soon enough. Right now, I just want a big WIN Saturday.
Well said
URH Snyder 490 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:04 PM   #143
IlliniByProxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniobserver22 View Post
There is a scholarship open right now. Nobody would have to leave until fall semester.
That is true, i hadn't thought about that. That would make more sense to me. I never understood why players choose to transfer mid-year and essentially forfeit a year or half a year of basketball (second half of first school's season, if they play before they transfer, and first half of the new school's season).
IlliniByProxy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:05 PM   #144
URH Snyder 490
Class of '91, Orange Krush '89
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniobserver22 View Post
Yes, interesting. I always wondered if IN THEORY a scenario like this happened at a school-

1. player transfers in taking an existing scholly
2. this means 1 more scholly given out than are available for the next season
3. no one leaves

Then what would happen? They'd have to yank a scholly from someone I suppose.

Just wondering out loud and not in any way saying this would happen here at any point. I'm assuming that things work out through natural player movement 99% of the time, at all schools, but I've always been curious about this.
URH Snyder 490 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:08 PM   #145
TCTORNADO
If we do go into an "oversign" situation, this is just a hunch, that we offer a seldom used "medical exemption" (not redshirt) and allows the DIA to still pay for the athletes scholarship but yet it doesn't count against limits. Sort of a win/win for everybody. Early on @ SMU they used it on 3 guys and even BW used it once @ KSU.
We won't have to talk about it because of the medical privacy rights of the athlete. Alabama and other SEC teams have used it to Crean the poor performers.
We need to oversign first, right??
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:09 PM   #146
GilThorpe
Quote:
I agree. I bet something is announced in the next 10 days that someone on our roster is transferring out
GilThorpe is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:20 PM   #147
popejackson
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
I stay around Columbia, SC and the weather is not so good there right now. It gets really cold and rainy for long spells in the winter time. It rained like all of this week.
popejackson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:20 PM   #148
justsomedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
When Tate was recruited, wasn't he told that we would not be recruiting any new point guards for next year? Just curious.
Villanova's athletic site calls Johnson a combo. Groce would likely say the same thing to Tate.

Also, I'm very, very excited that Tate is on board, however sometimes information is misconstrued as it's passed along. For example, there was an article in July stating Tate claimed an Illinois offer. Based on the fact that he jumped as soon as he received an offer in September, I think there was some miscommunication in that July article.

I'll trust Groce enough to understand the relationships he's built with all parties.
justsomedude is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:32 PM   #149
RHITIllini
Quote:
I think the coaches knew early on who would probably be looking elsewhere after the season.
RHITIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:36 PM   #150
illiniobserver22
Johnson would maybe allow a redshirt of Tate, which would be good for his development.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »