Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Pregame: Illinois vs Auburn, Saturday, December 29th, 1:15pm CT, BTN

Closed Thread

Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:10 PM   #76
IlliniSpine
Banned
We win on Saturday, we move up to #11. #8 Cincy lost at home tonight to unranked NM!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:15 PM   #77
trevdv
Glad Cincy lost, otherwise we probably wouldn't have moved up any. Now we're at least #11 if we win Saturday, maybe even #10 if Louisville loses to Kentucky.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:09 AM   #78
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Illini to make annual trip to the United Center

Despite his desire for more games in Champaign, Groce - like his boss, athletic director Mike Thomas who said during his introductory press conference that he wanted Illinois to be "king of Chicago" - understands the importance of the yearly trip to the Windy City.

"I like it. I love going up there," Groce said. "Obviously, it's our largest alumni base. We're excited to go to Chicago. It's a huge area, not only for alumni but from a recruiting standpoint. We're excited for the opportunity to play up there. Our guys are looking forward to it.

"We want to keep doing it for sure, a lot like the Missouri game. I think they're two games that really make a lot of sense for us."

Jeremy Werner

Last edited by Dan; Dec 28, 2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:44 AM   #79
Illinikeith98
Bringing my son to the game.....

His first live Illini basketball game. Any Illini gatherings before the game (6-year old friendly ) ?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:45 AM   #80
DrewD007
I think our non-con schedule would be fine with... United Center game, Braggin' Rights, return game for previous year's United Center game (however in years where we won't return, such as UIC, then do a tournament), then the rest home games (with the occasional away as part of the B1G/ACC challenge).
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:00 AM   #81
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Q&A: Coach John Groce

Tell us a little about Auburn, what can we expect?

JG: "Well the biggest thing that concerns me is their rebounding. They've got 40 percent or more back on the glass for five consecutive games. I think it's one of the things - maybe the best thing - that they've got. And you know, you can say well I can see where you'd be concerned because we got hammered on the backboard on Saturday night. We've got to compete better on the glass than what we did on Saturday. A large part of that is not as simple as just blocking out. I think a big reason why they got us on the glass on Saturday was because Phil Pressey was inside our defense creating rotations, and when you create rotations it's hard to block out, so obviously keeping the ball out of the paint helps in being able to rebound the basketball better. Their two guards, Denson and Sullivan are really good off the dribble. They're gonna challenge us as well in terms of getting into the paint. We gotta try to keep them out of the paint, but rebounding is really where that thing starts, and we gotta make a ton of strides in that area."

Fletcher Page
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:33 AM   #82
SteakSandwich
I like the Kentucky or Marquette idea to not have a return visit, also thought make the Kentucky visit in Indy to shove it up Indiana's behind. I personally would like to get a game with Butler every year in Indy. I know that won't happen but would love to get to get major games in the big cities surrounding the campus.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:23 AM   #83
JoeyJackMo
For anyone looking for pregame festivities:

Joe's Bar on Weed St. (the official Chicago Illini bar) is doing an all-you-can-eat all-you-can-drink for $30 before the game. They will have a free shuttle too and from the United Center as well. Their is a group of Marching Illini Alums that will be playing from 11-12:30 before the game. It should be good time with good music. I'll be there playing and watching the game. Go Illini!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:54 AM   #84
CUWPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJackMo View Post
For anyone looking for pregame festivities:

Joe's Bar on Weed St. (the official Chicago Illini bar) is doing an all-you-can-eat all-you-can-drink for $30 before the game. They will have a free shuttle too and from the United Center as well. Their is a group of Marching Illini Alums that will be playing from 11-12:30 before the game. It should be good time with good music. I'll be there playing and watching the game. Go Illini!
It shows $60 for the pregame with a ride to the UC. Am I missing something?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:14 AM   #85
Warriorhillillini
will be there also.............Section 118!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:15 AM   #86
JoeyJackMo
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUWPC View Post
It shows $60 for the pregame with a ride to the UC. Am I missing something?
Sorry, it use to be $30...but as of December 24th, it went up $60. Sorry for the confusion.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:23 AM   #87
RichBradIllini
From the Fletcher Page article...

"UIC is expected back every three years, according to Illinois spokesman Derrick Burson, though Illinois delayed the Flames a year to make room for Gonzaga in Jan. 2010."

Uuuuuugh.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:40 AM   #88
U of I 89-05-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBradIllini View Post
From the Fletcher Page article...

"UIC is expected back every three years, according to Illinois spokesman Derrick Burson, though Illinois delayed the Flames a year to make room for Gonzaga in Jan. 2010."

Uuuuuugh.
Can't we play them at that stupid Sears Centre or whatever and then schedule a legitimate opponent for the UC??
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:00 PM   #89
ThreeInOne4Ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by U of I 89-05-10 View Post
Can't we play them at that stupid Sears Centre or whatever and then schedule a legitimate opponent for the UC??
IIRC, this whole UIC setup is mandated by the Board of Trustees (as they oversee both campuses), is it not?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:11 PM   #90
IlliniRyan13
Looking forward to my first UC game since the '07 loss to 'Zona, will be in section 111. While the seniors couldn't beat Mizzou they do break the UC streak tomorrow.

Auburn 63
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:17 PM   #91
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniRyan13 View Post
Looking forward to my first UC game since the '07 loss to 'Zona, will be in section 111.
Cheer for me, please !
I'll be doing the family Christmas thing, watching my phone on the side.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:27 PM   #92
U of I 89-05-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeInOne4Ever View Post
IIRC, this whole UIC setup is mandated by the Board of Trustees (as they oversee both campuses), is it not?
That's correct, but I don't believe they say where... Do they? If they don't, why not just play them somewhere smaller and use our UC game more to our advantage?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:35 PM   #93
Dan
Admin
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:46 PM   #94
Holdemall
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniSpine View Post
We win on Saturday, we move up to #11. #8 Cincy lost at home tonight to unranked NM!
"Unranked UNM" had been ranked 16th prior to their first loss of the season to a decent South Dakota St. squad last week.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:57 PM   #95
trevdv
Quote:
The #Illini huddle up prior to practice at the @unitedcenter. No. 12 Illinois vs. Auburn Sat. at 1:15 pm at the UC. http://pic.twitter.com/qGdLDwFC

http://twitter.com/IlliniHoops
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:17 PM   #96
Warriors1994
Any new number on tickets sold last i saw was 13000? Hope they have sold more the past week or so.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:25 PM   #97
Dan
Admin
Quote:
#12 Illinois takes on Auburn at the United Center tomorrow! Need it packed with (Illini) Orange. #illini #beatAuburn http://pic.twitter.com/wm7GSV8j

http://twitter.com/IlliniDesign
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:37 PM   #98
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriors1994 View Post
Any new number on tickets sold last i saw was 13000? Hope they have sold more the past week or so.
There are only a limited number of tickets left for two more sections as of now on ticketmaster.com, which means that only two more sections haven't sold that many tickets. In other words, anything below the 300 section is now "limited availability," which means everything other than the tippy-top of the UC is nearly sold-out.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:02 PM   #99
Warriors1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
There are only a limited number of tickets left for two more sections as of now on ticketmaster.com, which means that only two more sections haven't sold that many tickets. In other words, anything below the 300 section is now "limited availability," which means everything other than the tippy-top of the UC is nearly sold-out.
Thats great to hear. Last year i had a 100 section that only my family was in it was a corner one but we moved down 15 rows without going by anyone.

i was looking on ticketmaster and best place for 2 tix was 313
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:15 PM   #100
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriors1994 View Post
Quote:
Jason Heggemeyer
@J_Hegg
Plotting out tickets with @BrianAmentt at United Center for tomorrow's #Illini game vs Auburn. Expecting over 15,000. #BusinessTrip
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »