Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:23 AM   #3201
Dreamteam05
Cliff isn't as big of a long shot as you might think, I've listened to joe henrickson, and brad sturdy on radio shows talk about cliff and both of them say Illinois has a good shot and will be in it till the end. Still going to be very tough recruitment, but lets hope groce can seal the deal.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:24 AM   #3202
BlockI
Banned
Swap Henry for Rice and you got it!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:26 AM   #3203
Symmooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltygrapes View Post
Good to hear overall, but honestly his jumper needs lots of work. i mean his free throw shooting is horrendous for a guard. His errors are correctable but you don't recruit him assuming he's going to correct them and be a good shooter. You hope he does that but you have to be happy with what you're getting otherwise. but he definitely seems to have enough there otherwise in that even if he never shoots it well he'll still be a decent college player
I'm beginning to think TA/Tate will be plenty good enough for us to hold out for a top ten level PG.

The combination of a senior TA and a soph. Tate could be very good indeed. Then the table is set for someone to replace TA.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:18 AM   #3204
Indicchief
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symmooth View Post
I'm beginning to think TA/Tate will be plenty good enough for us to hold out for a top ten level PG.

The combination of a senior TA and a soph. Tate could be very good indeed. Then the table is set for someone to replace TA.

I think it is the coaching of Sir Groce (and his Staff).

212 degree it is.

This man can coach UP.

Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:31 AM   #3205
Big Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini34 View Post
I was just checking out espn recruiting list for Illinois, I came across this name Tyler Wideman PF 6'7" 245 out of Lake Central High School in Merriville, IN. Just wondering if anyone has any updates on him?
One of nicest kids you could meet!!!He has a power forward body and is very strong around the basket. Playing along side Glenn Robinson III last year really helped him mature this year into a better all around player. I believe he plays summer with Meanstreets.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:45 AM   #3206
PeoriaSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
John Groce workin' it. He's older than me. Wish I had the energy he does.

I'd love to know what he said to Cliff.
For example..."You could be a legend. A player they never, ever forget. We have Egwu and Morgan at the 5. We need an anchor and I think it's you. If you come, why wouldn't Lyle? Then Mathews, Williams and Brunson, among others, the next year. It's sitting there for you Cliff We coud win a title with you."
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:59 AM   #3207
Redbirds33333
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaSteve View Post
For example..."You could be a legend. A player they never, ever forget. We have Egwu and Morgan at the 5. We need an anchor and I think it's you. If you come, why wouldn't Lyle? Then Mathews, Williams and Brunson, among others, the next year. It's sitting there for you Cliff We coud win a title with you."

+1
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:05 AM   #3208
i11ini
Banned
How tall is Groce? From the picture, he only appears to be like 3 inches shorter than Cliff...
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:05 AM   #3209
Dan
Admin
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...d-Stone-131549
Quote:

Rob McColley

Last edited by Dan; Dec 30, 2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:37 AM   #3210
Noday
Quote:
Originally Posted by i11ini View Post
How tall is Groce? From the picture, he only appears to be like 3 inches shorter than Cliff...
Groce looks like 7 inches shorter than Cliff in that pic. Cliff is hunched over with his head down.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:48 AM   #3211
OrangeandBlue89
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noday View Post
Groce looks like 7 inches shorter than Cliff in that pic. Cliff is hunched over with his head down.
no shoes on either.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:58 PM   #3212
Bruce Bruceton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamteam05 View Post
Cliff isn't as big of a long shot as you might think, I've listened to joe henrickson, and brad sturdy on radio shows talk about cliff and both of them say Illinois has a good shot and will be in it till the end. Still going to be very tough recruitment, but lets hope groce can seal the deal.
Very good to hear especially with several posters claiming we we're wasting our time with him and Jahil Okafor a couple of weeks ago. Granted there's still a lot of time to go in this recruitment and recruiting is very fluid but at least we're in the mix and we could use him desperately on the glass. Just my personal opinion but I think if we want a realistic chance we probably will have to place top 4 in the conference and win a game or two in the big dance. Should be interesting to watch this one play out.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:16 PM   #3213
Groce SPOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by outd00rminer View Post
Now that's what I call the full court press. Go get 'em Coach Groce! I know we are long shots but I'm glad Coach doesn't agree or seem to care.

Alexander would be a day 1 starter and make us a legitimate contender for that year.

F-Egwu Sr.
F-Alexander Fr.
G-Henry Sr.
G-Hill So.
G-Abrams Sr.
6th- Nunn So.
You're forgetting a certain tranferee who will be a Sr.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:37 PM   #3214
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by outd00rminer View Post
Alexander would be a day 1 starter and make us a legitimate contender for that year.

F-Egwu Sr.
F-Alexander Fr.
G-Henry Sr.
G-Hill So.
G-Abrams Sr.
6th- Nunn So.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groce SPOT View Post
You're forgetting a certain tranferee who will be a Sr.
I also think that Langford has a better shot at a starting perimeter position than Henry.

Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:40 PM   #3215
Railsplitter
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noday View Post
I thought it might be a violation to talk to CA but I guess not.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:45 PM   #3216
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
I thought it might be a violation to talk to CA but I guess not.
Not a dead period.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:49 PM   #3217
Railsplitter
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
Not a dead period.
Thanx Kramer, I hope he layed it on thick . I would have promised him the moon and whatever else I could think of.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:40 PM   #3218
saltygrapes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamteam05 View Post
This is true, and its also true about J Lyle

Should be interesting, can Groce make up ground and get it done on those two guys and bring Illinois up to the top of their list like he did with Jackson and rathan-mayes?

Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:45 PM   #3219
Dreamteam05
Quote:

Should be interesting, can Groce make up ground and get it done on those two guys and bring Illinois up to the top of their list like he did with Jackson and rathan-mayes?
That is good news about Lyle. I haven't heard any of the recruiting analysts talk about him and Illinois as much as they have with cliff. I'll take your word for it.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:57 PM   #3220
HsvIllini
Quote:

I have full faith in Groce - he has a lot more time to work with these two than he did with Jackson or XRM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:13 PM   #3221
Juice
I don't think Cliff is a longshot at all. I think we've got a great chance
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:20 PM   #3222
illbasketfan
I see I made the Diamond Stone picture. Great game on Sat. Time to get ready for the Big Ten season. Would love a 15 class of Brunson, Matthews, Willams and Stone this staff could make it happen!!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:22 PM   #3223
BenjIllini
Hoopin Groce Style
Quote:
Originally Posted by illbasketfan View Post
I see I made the Diamond Stone picture. Great game on Sat. Time to get ready for the Big Ten season. Would love a 15 class of Brunson, Matthews, Willams and Stone this staff could make it happen!!
Which one? The one next to Stone in the cool hat?

That would be a killer class. How you think the '14 class ends up?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:30 PM   #3224
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by illbasketfan View Post
Haha congrats, look at you in the big timer seats.

I agree, it was a fun game to go to.

2015 is going to be a big time class. I am really interested in seeing how the 2014 class ends up and if we can add an Alexander or Lyle type to Finke.

Groce has been able to work on the 2015 class from the beginning and that will be his first monster class imo. Luckily we have a lot of scholarships that year too.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:39 PM   #3225
TruIllini89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini34 View Post
I was just checking out espn recruiting list for Illinois, I came across this name Tyler Wideman PF 6'7" 245 out of Lake Central High School in Merriville, IN. Just wondering if anyone has any updates on him?
ST.JOHN, IN
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »