Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Illinois fires OC Chris Beatty - Bill Cubit hired as new Illini Offensive Coordinator

Old Jan 5, 2013, 05:49 PM   #76
Juice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calilama View Post
It's possible he is an OC killer
I would say the OLine (or lack thereof) and the absence of playmakers as the reason for so many OCs. There has just been terrible play calling the last few years here too.
Juice is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 06:14 PM   #77
BigStan97
To everyone who thinks Beckman is gone after next year.

what if he, with a team full of underclassman and a bunch of upperclassman that are not his kids win 6 games next year and go bowling???

Beckman and our New AD Thomas know this process is not an overnight stay and instantly a success..

especially with the patch job of a roster zook left our current staff.

If Beckman can get this First class of kids who a lot of them played this year to develop and be our nucleus of guys going forward to build on and his second class now with guys BECKMAN wants. Beckman is doing everything he can to turn around this roster and talent level of players at Illinois.

Bottom Line is if Beckman can show progress to this team and win 5 6 games and go bowling or be in contention to go bowling then i dont see a reason why he would be fired.
BigStan97 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 06:18 PM   #78
Juice
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStan97 View Post
To everyone who thinks Beckman is gone after next year.

what if he, with a team full of underclassman and a bunch of upperclassman that are not his kids win 6 games next year and go bowling???

Beckman and our New AD Thomas know this process is not an overnight stay and instantly a success..

especially with the patch job of a roster zook left our current staff.

If Beckman can get this First class of kids who a lot of them played this year to develop and be our nucleus of guys going forward to build on and his second class now with guys BECKMAN wants. Beckman is doing everything he can to turn around this roster and talent level of players at Illinois.

Bottom Line is if Beckman can show progress to this team and win 5 6 games and go bowling or be in contention to go bowling then i dont see a reason why he would be fired.
Yup.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 06:28 PM   #79
illinicb
Quote:
If they go bowling next year, he'll be back. With five wins I'm not sure I'd guarantee it, but he's probably back.

Old Jan 5, 2013, 06:30 PM   #80
Groundhogday
Quote:
I would say that if we win 3 games next year and are competitive throughout, Beckman will almost certainly be back. Really, as long as their is clear progress, Thomas is going to give Beckman a chance to recruit and develop his players.

Old Jan 5, 2013, 06:51 PM   #81
Lake Camelot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
I would say that if we win 3 games next year and are competitive throughout, Beckman will almost certainly be back. Really, as long as their is clear progress, Thomas is going to give Beckman a chance to recruit and develop his players.
I think you are right. But if it is as low as three wins they may check to see if anyone is interested behind the scenes, then make the decision. 5 wins I would think he is staying for sure.

Old Jan 5, 2013, 08:06 PM   #82
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Camelot View Post
I think you are right. But if it is as low as three wins they may check to see if anyone is interested behind the scenes, then make the decision. 5 wins I would think he is staying for sure.
Why would you think this? Has Thomas ever worked in this manner in the past? This sort of idea is on every message board, but almost no ADs do this.

Old Jan 5, 2013, 08:18 PM   #83
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
Did you expect something different?

I mean other than saying Beckman should be fired.
There you go again with that. I don't think he should be fired. If you do, you know nothing about football.

We had a talentless offense this year. I expected one of them to go and the other to become OC. I am ok with this but man I am just shaking my head at your kooky idea to fire Beckman. Really sad to hear you say that. Ugly thoughts. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Old Jan 5, 2013, 08:33 PM   #84
AHSIllini32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
There you go again with that. I don't think he should be fired. If you do, you know nothing about football.

We had a talentless offense this year. I expected one of them to go and the other to become OC. I am ok with this but man I am just shaking my head at your kooky idea to fire Beckman. Really sad to hear you say that. Ugly thoughts. You should be ashamed of yourself.
I most certainly do not think Beckman should be fired nor was I trying to insinuate that you were saying so.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 08:44 PM   #85
Lake Camelot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Why would you think this? Has Thomas ever worked in this manner in the past? This sort of idea is on every message board, but almost no ADs do this.
That is how I would do it if I was an AD.

I know I will get beat on for this statement, but I am being truthful .

Old Jan 5, 2013, 08:45 PM   #86
jackman404
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT35 View Post
This is great news. I hope Banks is next.
There were significant issues with players not buying in on defense this past season, so I think that gives Banks at least one more year to prove himself. If anyone else goes, I would expect it to be either the D-line or O-line coach.

I think Beckman's job depends on making a good hire here. Offense has to show signs of improvement and have an identity next season to keep even minimal fan support alive. Get a good OC/QB coach, groom Bailey next season, then show us what this team is all about in two years.

Old Jan 5, 2013, 08:47 PM   #87
AngryOrange
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT35 View Post
This is great news. I hope Banks is next.
If I were to list the coaches on how safe they are, with Beckman being the safest and Beatty obviously being gone, I would put Banks much closer to Beckman than Beatty. After Golesh and Ward, I think he might be next on the list.
AngryOrange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 08:56 PM   #88
GilThorpe
do I think that sometimes there are converstations between AD's and potential HC's when a situation is obvious or likely to involve letting a coach go? yes

But I think it is not normally done that way and I think most coaches who are presently employed do not start talking to other schools who already have a coach.

We would need a repeat of 2012 this coming year in order for TB to be in serious trouble. Progress will be made, and it will be apparent to all, and TB will easily be retained for another year. The guy simply has too much of a history of coaching the game to have forgotten it all when he came to us.

If and when we get a new coach, whenever that time is, the normal process of looking for a coach will be undertaken. Behind the scenes discussions are just to see if there is any interest should that situation arise. Every AD should have a 5 person short list in his smartphone for football and basketball and he needs to be periodically updating it. Ask Barry Alvarez why. I hardly consider that exercise the same thing as what Camelot is saying
GilThorpe is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 09:08 PM   #89
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
I most certainly do not think Beckman should be fired nor was I trying to insinuate that you were saying so.
I misunderstood your post then and I apologize.

Old Jan 5, 2013, 09:20 PM   #90
frankfortillini
As long as their is significant progress - even if it results in close losses - no way Beckman is gone after next year.
frankfortillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:26 AM   #91
Juice
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
I misunderstood your post then and I apologize.
I think AHS has been one of, if not THE biggest Beckman supporter on this board throughout the entire thing.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:22 AM   #92
BWBW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
I think AHS has been one of, if not THE biggest Beckman supporter on this board throughout the entire thing.
I agree.
BWBW is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 04:49 AM   #93
brosox
The Scout Board is reporting that the new offensive coordinator will be Bill Cubit, formerly the head coach of Western Michigan. Do any of our insiders have any information about this?
brosox is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 04:55 AM   #94
crippler
FootballScoop Staff ‏@footballscoop Just getting off road. Looking forward to seeing a bunch of coaches tomorrow. Here's 1 and I'm out...hear Bill Cubit will be OC at Illinois
crippler is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:55 AM   #95
PaytonHighstep
Quote:
Originally Posted by crippler View Post
FootballScoop Staff ‏@footballscoop Just getting off road. Looking forward to seeing a bunch of coaches tomorrow. Here's 1 and I'm out...hear Bill Cubit will be OC at Illinois
if this is true, I am all for it! His offenses have been great and explosive. He has a track record and this would be a great hire in my book.
PaytonHighstep is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:59 AM   #96
BWBW
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaytonHighstep View Post
if this is true, I am all for it! His offenses have been great and explosive. He has a track record and this would be a great hire in my book.
I agree.
BWBW is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:04 AM   #97
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaytonHighstep View Post
Sort of interesting that he withdrew himself as a candidate for Western Illinois' HC position on Dec. 17th
HsvIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:36 AM   #98
Lake Camelot
Quote:
Originally Posted by crippler View Post
Not a home run. But just short of it. Very good hire. Just doesn't make me go bonkers. A little more of a passer than we had isn't he ?

Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:54 AM   #99
Lake Camelot
Quote:
As for Cubit, he was recently fired from Western Michigan after going 51-47 (36-27 in the MAC) in eight seasons at the school. Before becoming the head coach at Western Michigan he was an offensive coordinator at Stanford, Rutgers and Missouri.

Last edited by Dan; Jan 29, 2013 at 10:05 AM.
Lake Camelot is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:08 AM   #100
ILLINITIM33
While i like getting an experienced oc not sure his system fits what we have on our roster nor what we are recruiting. We are rb heavy, wr,ol,& passing qb light. Also doesnt seem to fit Bailey.
ILLINITIM33 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »