Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Pregame: Illinois vs Minnesota, Wednesday, January 9th, 8:00pm CT, BTN

Closed Thread

Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:35 AM   #76
illinichick
I think this one may come down to rebounding. We did a much better jog against OSU so let's hope we keep getting better. If we can keep up with them on the boards, I think we'll have a good chance. And of course if Egwu ends up with a stellar breakout game, I'd be ecstatic!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:07 PM   #77
illiniobserver22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichisamazing View Post
Could Minnesota be considered a better version of Mizzou. They are good in a fast paced game, hollins is a very good point guard(not quite as good as pressey imo), can probably shoot a little better than mizzou, and sota loves to crash the boards.

So I think we could have an advantage in this game having already played Mizzou. In that game pressey was in the lane all game. Most of their off rebounds were because a defender had to come over to prevent pressey from getting an easy layup, thus leaving someone free to get an off rebound. Also Mizzou and Sota both send lots of players to crash the boards which means we should be able to push the ball if we can secure the rebound. We never pushed the ball against Mizzou and it should be something we should look for almost every time. Are shooting was terrible against Mizzou and I know we won't shoot that bad at home, plus our pick n roll game with Egwu is the best its been all season so I think we have a good shot at winning this game.
I think the Mbakwe/Williams combo is very similar to the Oriakhi/Bowers tandem we saw at Missouri.

One thing that will help is that Dre Hollins is not as quick or as much of a penetrator as Pressey, so hopefully we won't be as far out of position trying to help as we were against MU.

But they are also better defensively than probably any team we've seen.

We are due for a good shooting day soon though, hopefully we can get one and that will carry us.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:37 PM   #78
WARDFORTHREE
As seen so far, guard play in college basketball matters. We have the better guards in this matchup and for that reason I like the Illini. Do Mbakwe and Williams worry me? Sure, but they can't shoot threes. Let them get points and worry about shutting Hollins down. We do that, we win the game. Illini 76 Sota 68
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:06 PM   #79
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniobserver22 View Post
One thing that will help is that Dre Hollins is not as quick or as much of a penetrator as Pressey, so hopefully we won't be as far out of position trying to help as we were against MU.
This was my thinking too, and then we let Purdue's crummy guards get in the lane all day. We really need to stop dribble penetration at almost all costs in this game.

@mattcoldagelli

Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:17 PM   #80
jrichisamazing
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
This was my thinking too, and then we let Purdue's crummy guards get in the lane all day. We really need to stop dribble penetration at almost all costs in this game.
True, but I don't think we were pumped up for that game. When our players are ready for a game (in other words when we play a ranked opponent) we can play awesome lock-down defense and force a lot of turnovers. I assume we see the defense we saw against Ohio St. compared to the Purdue defense considering Minny is ranked #8.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:18 PM   #81
Janice
I attended the Minnesota / Florida State Game here in Tallahassee, and Minnesota is a good team. Their guards are as good as any in the B1G, and they have the trees to go with it!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:20 PM   #82
Illini First
Banned
I think with these couple of practices, Coach G has continued working on rebounding and
defense in general. If nothing else, this might shore up things, but I doubt
that Nnanna will have a break out game. Just too much good defense inside
for Minn.

Since we are home, I have the Illini 69-63 over Minn.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:22 PM   #83
Illini First
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice View Post
I attended the Minnesota / Florida State Game here in Tallahassee, and Minnesota is a good team. Their guards are as good as any in the B1G, and they have the trees to go with it!
Thanks Janice, I agree, Minn will be a very tough team, and we have to be ready.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:29 PM   #84
alexander58
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinichick View Post
I think this one may come down to rebounding. We did a much better jog against OSU so let's hope we keep getting better. If we can keep up with them on the boards, I think we'll have a good chance. And of course if Egwu ends up with a stellar breakout game, I'd be ecstatic!
Watching some of the Minnesota Northwestern game the other night (1st half) , it seemed Northwestern held their own. If Illinois can do the same, I like their chances.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:39 PM   #85
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander58 View Post
Watching some of the Minnesota Northwestern game the other night (1st half) , it seemed Northwestern held their own. If Illinois can do the same, I like their chances.
Yeah, but then Minnesota dropped 52 points on them in the 2nd half.

I'm much more worried about 52 in the 2nd half than I am optimistic about the 17 point first half.

Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:43 PM   #86
-josh-
Calm, Collected, German.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesLawrence View Post
I am assumin you haven't really watch minn play this year huh? If NW can D them up and keep them at 17 points in a half on their home court I think we win this one. We get out big and they make. Run but we still win by 10-15 points. Our weakest point is the other teams having a penetrating point guard. Not big bodies. That's why we lost to Missouri and Purdue. Their PG. We will be fine this game.

I say we win 75-64 ... Book it!

There are better and more civil ways to disagree with someone. I've watched a lot of college ball this year so yes i have seen them. Welcome to my block list.

Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:44 PM   #87
Decatur8r
Everybody keeps saying it comes down to rebounding..no. It comes down to shots made and shots taken. If Illinois shots over 50% we will win. Our defense is better that theirs if make shots we win. .483vs OS .356 vs.Purdue simple as that.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:52 PM   #88
alexander58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Yeah, but then Minnesota dropped 52 points on them in the 2nd half.

I'm much more worried about 52 in the 2nd half than I am optimistic about the 17 point first half.
I was referring to the inside players on NW hanging with Minnesotas bigs. I expected to see them getting thrown around like rag dolls. Maybe they did in the 2nd half.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:07 PM   #89
Leonardite
Got tickets! Pumped.

So easy.
So easy.
So easy.

"Frank Williams putting on a show passing the rock! Driving, Drawing, and Dishing the rock! The three D's man!" --- The Frank Williams Show
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:31 PM   #90
jhayton
I think it is pretty clear that MN overlooked NW and just didn't come out fired up in the first half. Tubby will have them at the very least ready to play for this game. I can honestly see quite a few similarities in us and MN as far as attitude goes.

I would not expect them to play nearly as flat as they did in the first half, but I think the 52 in the second half was just NW being completely outclassed.

I see a really close game with it being a contested game all the way down to the final minute.

I think DJ or Griffey hits a big shot to put us over the top.

UI: 72
MN: 69
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:47 PM   #91
Dan
Admin
Quote:
We need you at @Assembly_Hall Wednesday for #Illini vs #8 Minnesota! Exclusive offer: $16 tix. Enter code 'TWEET' here: http://bit.ly/IL-MN-Tix

http://twitter.com/IlliniHoops
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:08 PM   #92
illinitrav
Marketing department is at it again! Great to see!!!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:09 PM   #93
BleedOrangeBlue
And that is why I'm hesitant to buy my tickets for the Indiana game a month early...
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:12 PM   #94
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrangeBlue View Post
And that is why I'm hesitant to buy my tickets for the Indiana game a month early...
True, but if you wait too long, you may not get them.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:14 PM   #95
illinitrav
Quote:
Difference between those two games is you don't have to worry about Minnesota fans grabbing up tickets. Wait too long and a Hoosier fan could be sitting in your spot.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:16 PM   #96
BleedOrangeBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinitrav View Post
Difference between those two games is you don't have to worry about Minnesota fans grabbing up tickets. Wait too long and a Hoosier fan could be sitting in your spot.
I'd better act quick!!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:26 PM   #97
kevinb1
I'll be at the game. First time in the Hall in 15 years. Go Illini!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:30 PM   #98
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
I thought IU was already sold out?

@mattcoldagelli

Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:34 PM   #99
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Indiana game will sellout soon, no need for a special promo.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:39 PM   #100
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
I thought IU was already sold out?
Ohio State & Michigan are the two announced sellouts so far.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »