Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Improvements for 2013 Football Team

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:36 AM   #1
Warriors1994
Posts: 2,533
While watching the BCS Bowls and pregame I have seen alot of little things that theses teams are doing to be successful. Such as OL getting out to the LB and creating holes etc.

What are some little things that you would like to see improved on or something you think with our incoming kids will be better at?
Warriors1994 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 01:25 AM   #2
Juice
Juice's Avatar
Posts: 2,269
Anything and everything.
Juice is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:02 AM   #3
SCillini
Posts: 564
It would be much shorter to list the areas where we don't need improvement.
SCillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:47 PM   #4
Warriors1994
Posts: 2,533
Was just thinking and one big thing i would like to see off the field is student ticket prices dropped if not free. I know it loses some money but lets try to get some people in the seats and supporting the team.
Warriors1994 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:47 AM   #5
GilThorpe
GilThorpe's Avatar
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriors1994 View Post
Was just thinking and one big thing i would like to see off the field is student ticket prices dropped if not free. I know it loses some money but lets try to get some people in the seats and supporting the team.
do you really think more students would come if free?

my experience , sometimes, with items being free is that they become so devalued, that they are no longer respected.

$15 cost for a student ticket is a fairly common price. Are ours much different than that? Is making them , say $5, really going bring more students out? I maintain you need a fun experience at the event to draw people -- a fun pre & post game and an exciting team to watch and you will draw many. Until the team is exciting, work on the pre and post game and other little things that are fun during breaks.

Thomas needs to put a committee together to get ideas from across the land. I offer my services to write such a report. I just need my expenses covered.
GilThorpe is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:11 AM   #6
Groundhogday
Groundhogday's Avatar
Posts: 24,979
More than any other aspect of the team, our OL play has to improve. Decent OL play would make a huge difference for the offense and defense.

__________________
ONLY ORANGE!
Groundhogday is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:23 AM   #7
The Galloping Ghost 77
The Galloping Ghost 77's Avatar
Location: Wheaton, IL
Posts: 89
We need playmakers. Someone has to step on Offense and Defense. Look at UM vs. SC for example. UM gets a gift from the refs for a first down on a fake punt that should have resulted in a turnover on downs, and what happens the next play? Clowney reverses the momentum with a monster hit and forces a fumble that SC recovers. We need guys like that.
The Galloping Ghost 77 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:54 AM   #8
illinifan4249
illinifan4249's Avatar
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilThorpe View Post
do you really think more students would come if free?

my experience , sometimes, with items being free is that they become so devalued, that they are no longer respected.

$15 cost for a student ticket is a fairly common price. Are ours much different than that? Is making them , say $5, really going bring more students out? I maintain you need a fun experience at the event to draw people -- a fun pre & post game and an exciting team to watch and you will draw many. Until the team is exciting, work on the pre and post game and other little things that are fun during breaks.

Thomas needs to put a committee together to get ideas from across the land. I offer my services to write such a report. I just need my expenses covered.
Tickets are $99 for the student vouchers and $139 for block-I. Block-I gets you tailgates before games, a tshirt, different events during the week, chance to go on a roadtrip(was ohio state this past year), and most importantly for some people Illini Pride membership which is required for Orange Krush. It has been my experience that a lot of students don't go because they think we are going to lose, or because they don't feel like football games are that fun. There are plenty of students who get tickets and just never use them so I don't think lowering the price will actually get more students in the seats.
illinifan4249 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:02 AM   #9
AHSIllini32
Banned
Posts: 8,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Galloping Ghost 77 View Post
We need playmakers. Someone has to step on Offense and Defense. Look at UM vs. SC for example. UM gets a gift from the refs for a first down on a fake punt that should have resulted in a turnover on downs, and what happens the next play? Clowney reverses the momentum with a monster hit and forces a fumble that SC recovers. We need guys like that.
Sorry, that ain't happenin any time soon at Illinois. We just need guys who will consistently make plays. They don't have to be super-stars. Just good, solid players who get the job done. Now we will of course need an occasional play-maker like Jenkins, Mikel, etc. to come along on offense if we want to have some great seasons.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:03 AM   #10
illinicb
illinicb's Avatar
Location: Northbrook
Posts: 8,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
More than any other aspect of the team, our OL play has to improve. Decent OL play would make a huge difference for the offense and defense.
It's an old bromide, but games are won in the trenches and the Illini trenches (particularly O trench as you point out) are not winning many battles. Don't know if it is talent or coaching or both.

__________________
"I could care less" does not mean the same as "I couldn't care less". Suppose is not the same as supposed.
illinicb is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:14 AM   #11
pizzaman
pizzaman's Avatar
Location: Northwoods of Wisconsin
Posts: 2,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinicb View Post
It's an old bromide, but games are won in the trenches and the Illini trenches (particularly O trench as you point out) are not winning many battles. Don't know if it is talent or coaching or both.
It's easy to point a finger at the O line. They weren't good. They weren't the only part of the offense that failed though. I think the QB regressed since his freshman year. I wondered how long he could last and how much pounding he could take when he was a freshman. I suspect he has been pounded into submission and really can't be successful going forward. Receivers are right there with the QB but can't blame the pounding they took because they rarely get the ball.

From my perspective, a good O line would help the running game but I think the Illini passing game needs different personel. JMO
pizzaman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:06 PM   #12
Warriors1994
Posts: 2,533
I think the OL definitely needs to improve. I think if DY JF and Davis even NS get some blocks in front of them they can make things happen.

And I hope that with a new play caller we punch in TDs more than getting first and goal from the 3 or 5 for example and getting a FG.
Warriors1994 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:16 PM   #13
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 30,868
Quote:
A Peek At Next Year - The Offense

Quarterback will be interesting. If it was still Beatty/Gonzo, Nathan is the clear choice. They'd want to run with him. But if Cubit wants a pocket passer, is it still Nathan? O'Toole? Does Aaron Bailey get some time there? Until we see what this offense looks like, it's really hard to say what happens at QB. My guess: we stick with our senior three-year starter. For better or for worse.

http://alioneye.com/2013/01/08/a-pee...r-the-offense/
Quote:
A Peek At Next Year - The Defense

So for the defensive line, yeah, um, we're young, but at least we're inexperienced.

Did someone say inexperienced? Hey, let's talk secondary!

http://alioneye.com/2013/01/11/a-pee...r-the-defense/
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:27 PM   #14
Warriors1994
Posts: 2,533
I understand fans come with winning but it helps to have fans in the stands to help the winning. From what I have heard it seems that the overall atmosphere outside the game needs to change and Im not really sure how that is going to get done.
Warriors1994 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:19 PM   #15
GilThorpe
GilThorpe's Avatar
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriors1994 View Post
I understand fans come with winning but it helps to have fans in the stands to help the winning. From what I have heard it seems that the overall atmosphere outside the game needs to change and Im not really sure how that is going to get done.
free alcohol and fun women are the two best ways to get men to go anywhere
GilThorpe is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:41 PM   #16
Juice
Juice's Avatar
Posts: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Galloping Ghost 77 View Post
We need playmakers. Someone has to step on Offense and Defense. Look at UM vs. SC for example. UM gets a gift from the refs for a first down on a fake punt that should have resulted in a turnover on downs, and what happens the next play? Clowney reverses the momentum with a monster hit and forces a fumble that SC recovers. We need guys like that.
Not happening my friend. Clowney is a once in a generation player if you ask me. Like AHS said, we need solid 3 star players that get the job done who occasionally make plays.
Juice is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:12 PM   #17
The Galloping Ghost 77
The Galloping Ghost 77's Avatar
Location: Wheaton, IL
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
Not happening my friend. Clowney is a once in a generation player if you ask me. Like AHS said, we need solid 3 star players that get the job done who occasionally make plays.
I think you guys are misunderstanding what I mean, so let me explain in a little more detail. Although having super star players is nice, that's not what I mean when I say playmakers. I mean we simply need guys who can step up and make some plays. They don't have to be 5 star recruits. We just need guys who will break tackles, strip the football, and lead the charge when the chips are down. Maybe those guys are on the team right now? I think Mason Monheim could be a guy like that on D along with Brown (I would call him a playmaker in 2011 but he seemed to lose his way in 2012 edit: he was also injured).
The Galloping Ghost 77 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:22 PM   #18
I Hate Lemonier
Banned
Posts: 4,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Galloping Ghost 77 View Post
I think you guys are misunderstanding what I mean, so let me explain in a little more detail. Although having super star players is nice, that's not what I mean when I say playmakers. I mean we simply need guys who can step up and make some plays. They don't have to be 5 star recruits. We just need guys who will break tackles, strip the football, and lead the charge when the chips are down. Maybe those guys are on the team right now? I think Mason Monheim could be a guy like that on D along with Brown (I would call him a playmaker in 2011 but he seemed to lose his way in 2012 edit: he was also injured).
I hear ya and agree. Players like Mendenhall, Benn, Liuget who have that extra gear that cant be taught.

This recruiting class seems a little short on those type of difference makers. Bailey looks to be one though
I Hate Lemonier is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:40 PM   #19
BigStan97
Location: Dayton OH area
Posts: 1,911
If our Oline has/is improved we will be sooo much better off.

Simon/Hinkhouse- LT Heitz- LG Durkin- OC Karras- RG Lewis- RT

-Durkin beats out Feldmeyer at Center
-Simon and Hinkhouse Battle for LT spot
- Karras and Heitz man the OG positions for another year of continuity
- a healthy 6th year for Sr. Lewis will provide solid play and leadership

we have some talent on offense with DY5, Ferg, Dami, Davis, LaCosse, Milliens we just gotta hope the new OC uses what we have to the best of their abilities

on defense we have no other choice but to hope our young guys step up and play

-Monheim progresses into a true stud MLB and solidifies himself as a top BIGTEN MLB
- JB45 comes back 100% healthy with a chip on his shoulder to produce and to buy into program
- guys like: Spence CB Bentley CB Caldwell DE Nelson DE V.Williams DT Powell DT all need to step up and play a year ahead of where they really are.
- JUCOs could really help bridge the gap if they can come in and take over starting spots
- JUCOs like Cajuste DT (hasent been admitted yet which is concerning), Petty S, Finney Star LB are guys that have opportunities to come in and start right away.
- other incoming freshman who we could really use solid play from are: Mosley CB, Day S, Dawson CB, Clements DL, Kelly/Jones could play either S or Star LB
BigStan97 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:43 PM   #20
Juice
Juice's Avatar
Posts: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Lemonier View Post
I hear ya and agree. Players like Mendenhall, Benn, Liuget who have that extra gear that cant be taught.

This recruiting class seems a little short on those type of difference makers. Bailey looks to be one though
This class has so much potential man.
Juice is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:05 PM   #21
Groundhogday
Groundhogday's Avatar
Posts: 24,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStan97 View Post
- Karras and Heitz man the OG positions for another year of continuity
I'm not sure Heitz has the quickness to be an effective spread OL.

__________________
ONLY ORANGE!
Groundhogday is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:06 PM   #22
Juice
Juice's Avatar
Posts: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
I'm not sure Heitz has the quickness to be an effective spread OL.
I agree. He does not.
Juice is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:07 PM   #23
Warriors1994
Posts: 2,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
I'm not sure Heitz has the quickness to be an effective spread OL.
So who do you think wins this LG spot?
Warriors1994 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:09 PM   #24
The Galloping Ghost 77
The Galloping Ghost 77's Avatar
Location: Wheaton, IL
Posts: 89
I'm gonna put a little heat on the receivers as well. Ya I understand the OL issues, but the passing game is a three position act. Lankford, Spencer, Millines. They are the 3 most experienced and we are going to need at least one to emerge if we want to go. 500 overall. They have to stay healthy as well (just like e everyone else)

Which reminds me, anyone else pumped that we have a new trainer (strength & conditioning)?, Oh and new WR coach..And new OL coach... Tim Beckman fixing the issues? We shall see...
The Galloping Ghost 77 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:10 PM   #25
Juice
Juice's Avatar
Posts: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriors1994 View Post
So who do you think wins this LG spot?
I know you didn't ask me personally but I'm hoping for Bain. I really hope the Bain to DL rumors are false.
Juice is offline Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Forum Jump