Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:58 AM   #3951
combes
Saw Schilling last season. All I can say is that he must have improved a lot. What about his game makes him more complete than Colbert. When did you see Colbert play?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:34 AM   #3952
Stevegarbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief3469 View Post
Scholarships are awarded yearly. So, a kid can be on scholarship this year and the coaching staff can choose to not renew it for next year.
I know in the other sports where partial scholarships are awarded (my experience is with Illinois baseball, but have been told it is common in many, if not all, of the non-revenue sports) they are year-to-year and the amount fluctuates (sometimes wildly) each year. The student-athletes are all aware of it, and each year there is a bit of holding their breath as they wait to learn how much assistance they will receive.

Does anyone know why the partial scholarship approach seems to not be used in basketball?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:17 AM   #3953
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegarbs View Post
Does anyone know why the partial scholarship approach seems to not be used in basketball?
Probably because it generates enough revenue to pay for full scholarships (and then some).
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:24 AM   #3954
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCityHoops34 View Post
he is much more complete than colbert. everyone on this board quit on him way too early.
I knew I should have offered that kid. What was I thinking?

Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:29 AM   #3955
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
he is much more complete than colbert. everyone on this board quit on him way too early, he will be a stud. worst part is it will be in the big 10 against us. Michigan state will be is his likely landing spot
Does anyone know MSU's scholly situation? Can they take both Cliff and Schilling or I wonder if Schilling is the backup plan in case they lose out on Cliff?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:34 AM   #3956
ChazzReinhold
Mom! The Meatloaf!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegarbs View Post
I know in the other sports where partial scholarships are awarded (my experience is with Illinois baseball, but have been told it is common in many, if not all, of the non-revenue sports) they are year-to-year and the amount fluctuates (sometimes wildly) each year. The student-athletes are all aware of it, and each year there is a bit of holding their breath as they wait to learn how much assistance they will receive.

Can only use full rides for basketball.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:04 AM   #3957
justsomedude
Quote:
he is much more complete than colbert. everyone on this board quit on him way too early, he will be a stud. worst part is it will be in the big 10 against us. Michigan state will be is his likely landing spot
It didn't seem like Groce wanted to put any eggs into the basket of a Mac Irvin Player for 2013, especially after Parham was selected above Coleman.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:05 AM   #3958
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
Does anyone know MSU's scholly situation? Can they take both Cliff and Schilling or I wonder if Schilling is the backup plan in case they lose out on Cliff?
They didn't sign anyone in the fall for 2013, scholarships aren't a problem for them. With Kearney leaving, it looks like they only have 11 on scholarship anyway. Plus Harris probably isn't sticking around for more than 2 years.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:10 AM   #3959
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomedude View Post
It didn't seem like Groce wanted to put any eggs into the basket of a Mac Irvin Player for 2013, especially after Parham was selected above Coleman.
And isn't it ironic that the 2 late, late '013 names to surface, Schilling and Hamilton are both Fire guys.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:19 AM   #3960
RyanK
Quote:
Colbert is a much better fit for Groce's offense than Schilling is.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:49 AM   #3961
Hugh Jorgen
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
Yep. Kid is visiting everywhere.
Wow...what a completely shameful display for one of our recruits to see.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:04 PM   #3962
IlliniFreak7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgen View Post
Luckily he has a few more years of watching to adjust his perception after that game
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:07 PM   #3963
illiniobserver22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
haha my thoughts exactly
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:13 PM   #3964
Hugh Jorgen
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini ri0t View Post
Why does everyone keep talking about Lyle likes he's a true PG?
One could have asked the same thing about Anthony Davis, and why people continued to talk about him like he was a true center...when in reality, he only did one thing that a true center should do, and that is defend in the post. He wasn't a true low post scorer and he wasn't an elite low post rebounder...but he was a legitimate difference maker because of his height, incredible length, athleticism and overall skillset.

Jaquan may not be a pure pg by definition, but his height, length, athleticism, and overall skillset are outstanding for any guard at virtually any level, and in the end, one can't deny this fact...he's a difference maker on the court.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:23 PM   #3965
Hugh Jorgen
Banned
Quote:
I hope your right...I've seen video of both, and Colbert looks like a rebounding and dunking machine, but VERY, VERY thin = Not B1G ready.

Schilling's video's looked like a player who has a very well rounded skillset and a college ready body...but reports last year = less production on court.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:24 PM   #3966
Hugh Jorgen
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFreak7 View Post
Luckily he has a few more years of watching to adjust his perception after that game
Maybe...you know what they say about first impressions.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:33 PM   #3967
RyanK
Quote:
He saw the Auburn game at UC as well. Heck, if I'm a 7' recruit watching us play, I see good guard play with a lot of PT up for grabs down low.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:08 PM   #3968
illini ri0t
Banned
Quote:
One could have asked the same thing about Anthony Davis, and why people continued to talk about him like he was a true center...when in reality, he only did one thing that a true center should do, and that is defend in the post. He wasn't a true low post scorer and he wasn't an elite low post rebounder...but he was a legitimate difference maker because of his height, incredible length, athleticism and overall skillset.

Jaquan may not be a pure pg by definition, but his height, length, athleticism, and overall skillset are outstanding for any guard at virtually any level, and in the end, one can't deny this fact...he's a difference maker on the court.
True centers are a dying breed...AD is just a freak. Very overlooked until his senior year.

I don't disagree about Lyles talent. He looks awesome this season. He's the kind of guy that could work in any system, and no one would turn away a guy of his caliber. I'm just saying he's more of a 2 guy, not a 1.

Were going to have some scorers coming our way with Nunn, Hill, and Rice. Tate and Abrams hopefully will have the skill set to break down D's and facilitate these guys. I look at Lyle and see him in the same group with Hill. Straight up scorer. It never hurts to have as many scorers on the team, but a guy that can play point is one of the most important parts of college ball.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:43 PM   #3969
UofIChE06
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini ri0t View Post
True centers are a dying breed...AD is just a freak. Very overlooked until his senior year.

I don't disagree about Lyles talent. He looks awesome this season. He's the kind of guy that could work in any system, and no one would turn away a guy of his caliber. I'm just saying he's more of a 2 guy, not a 1.

Were going to have some scorers coming our way with Nunn, Hill, and Rice. Tate and Abrams hopefully will have the skill set to break down D's and facilitate these guys. I look at Lyle and see him in the same group with Hill. Straight up scorer. It never hurts to have as many scorers on the team, but a guy that can play point is one of the most important parts of college ball.
Not sure I would call Nunn a scorer, especially compared to Hill.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:56 PM   #3970
ChiCityHoops34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
haha ok got me there
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:05 PM   #3971
Illinifn79
Banned
Quote:
He saw the Auburn game at UC as well. Heck, if I'm a 7' recruit watching us play, I see good guard play with a lot of PT up for grabs down low.
He wont be cutting teams down till after his Junior year. He wants to go to where post play and getting ball inside is important. Where team has good chemistry and unselfish play. Also looking to get into communications as a degree program. This is from ESPN.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:06 PM   #3972
Illinifn79
Banned
Quote:
I agree with this also. With the running style Colbert will fit alot better. I am also sure Colbert will fill out his frame alittle better and be a tough guard in the B1G cause of how athletic he is
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:37 PM   #3973
IlliniJim20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief3469 View Post
Scholarships are awarded yearly. So, a kid can be on scholarship this year and the coaching staff can choose to not renew it for next year.
Just to add a little to this idea, while scholarships are year to year, it is more of a pr issue (IMHO) when it comes to yanking scholarships. Disregarding grades or behavior issues, it looks bad for a coach to simply pull a kid's scholarship. Yes I happens, but ...
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:41 PM   #3974
IlliniJim20
Quote:
Originally Posted by illbasketfan View Post
Can someone find any info on Tommy Hamilton jr. from IMG. maybe stats, pics or video. Don't rule this kid out I know he had a visit last week at Depaul but ILL is in the need for a post guy!!!
You know Tommy is not a true post player
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:22 PM   #3975
IlliniPunk
Found this on ESPN's Recruiting Nations Tweets posted by Brad Winton @ JucoRecruiting:

Sounds like a JUCO guard. Anyone have any info?

Quote:
Chad Frazier (6-4/2013/Gulf Coast St.) has offers from Gonzaga, Illinois, South Carolina, Alabama, Rhode Island, Texas A&M

Chad Frazier of Gulf Coast State has seen recruiting interest surge lately. Detailed info here: http://www.jucorecruiting.com/chad-f...uiting-update/

http://twitter.com/JucoRecruiting

Last edited by Dan; Jan 15, 2013 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Added tweet
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »