Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:54 PM   #4126
Magoo2
Anyone remember the Decatur Eisenhower fiasco back in the 90's? Several gang members fighting in the stands full of people at a football game. Five or six were suspended, I would say with just cause, and the NAACP showed up. I mean....seriously? Oh, and Mr. Jesse Jackson was there too to talk about the travesty of prohibiting these kids from getting and education. Demanded that the Holiday Inn kitchen open up at 4 in the morning to cook him a midnight snack. I think they told him to take a long walk off of a short pier.

Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:00 AM   #4127
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Daniel Poneman tweeted that the best player in the first half of Simeon/MP game was Jaylon Tate. Hit 2 big 3's in first half.
Update from Poneman, he said 2 best players for whole game were Billy Garrett Jr and Jaylon Tate.
Nunn w/ 8 pts and 7 rebounds.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:02 AM   #4128
Illiniwek06
Quote:
Chicago State Police put out a quick message to nearby officers, asking them to watch for a jeep that was pulled over east of the school a short time later, police said, citing early reports. Two people were taken into custody and police found a gun inside the jeep.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,2059838.story
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:55 AM   #4129
Bailey
Michael O'Brien ‏@michaelsobrien

Irvin: "Jaylon Tate and Kendrick Nunn started it. Iíll just say that. One of the Simeon players pushed Lamont. They want to fight."
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:26 AM   #4130
DaytonIllini
I am confused about recruiting another 4. With Colbert and Finke in 13 and 14, do we need another 4 in 14? Shaw and Henry in 11. I don't see either of them being able to effectively play the 3. Is it possible that this Obi is more of a 3?

Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:43 AM   #4131
PeoriaChief
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

Irvin: "Jaylon Tate and Kendrick Nunn started it. Iíll just say that. One of the Simeon players pushed Lamont. They want to fight."
Not good to hear. Is Irvin really that mad about us not hiring Chin that he would specifically blame UI's 2 recruits as solely being responsible? Or is there truth to this? I don't know.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:13 AM   #4132
DG1985
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
I am confused about recruiting another 4. With Colbert and Finke in 13 and 14, do we need another 4 in 14? Shaw and Henry in 11. I don't see either of them being able to effectively play the 3. Is it possible that this Obi is more of a 3?
I think the above poster is inaccurate. Alexander is only in the picture not because of a need for a big but because he's a top flight talent you don't pass on. If we lose him, we don't need a replacement at his position.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:18 AM   #4133
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Shooting, fight mar Simeon win

There is a long history of unfortunate incidents during Simeon-Morgan Park games.

Derrick Rose's Simeon squad was attacked by a group of about 30 people on the way to the bus after a Morgan Park game in 2006. This football season the Simeon-Morgan Park game was suspended after shots were reportedly fired at Gately Stadium.

Simeon coach Robert Smith was irate after the game, yelling "that's how badly they want to beat us" at a group of Chicago Public League officials.

http://seasonpass.suntimes.com/news_...rrer_id=599124
Quote:
Just spoke with Morgan Park coach Nick Irvin. Quotes to follow.

Irvin: "Jaylon Tate and Kendrick Nunn started it. I'll just say that. One of the Simeon players pushed Lamont. They want to fight."

Irvin: "That's just classic Simeon. They think they can get away with everything and do what they want to do."

Irvin: We don't want to do that. We are here to play basketball. I guess their leader thinks it is ok to do do that. Which is Rob Smith."

Irvin: "We will beat Simeon the next time we play. "

http://twitter.com/michaelsobrien

Last edited by Dan; Jan 17, 2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:24 AM   #4134
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG1985 View Post
I think the above poster is inaccurate. Alexander is only in the picture not because of a need for a big but because he's a top flight talent you don't pass on. If we lose him, we don't need a replacement at his position.
You may have misunderstood Dayton's comment.
He is not confused by recruiting Big Cliff.
He is confused by the fact that we are said to have offered yesterday to 2014 PF Obi Enechonyia of Saint James School (DC).
Seems a bit odd.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:34 AM   #4135
RealWorld52
Banned
Really sad to blame the players for a fight that ended in a shooting. Obviously things that happen on the court are far different then things that happen outside. When I was in high school, I played football not basketball. My hooligan friends and I would look for the few hooligan people of the other town and fight them when able. It had nothing to do with the game, some kids like to fight.
Coach Irvin - take a cold shower.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:35 AM   #4136
RHITIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

Of course Nick would single out the two players who didn't play AAU for him.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:38 AM   #4137
RyanK
Could be the beginning to the end of Simeon players playing with Mac Irvin Fire.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:40 AM   #4138
cjcastan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaChief View Post
Not good to hear. Is Irvin really that mad about us not hiring Chin that he would specifically blame UI's 2 recruits as solely being responsible? Or is there truth to this? I don't know.
i saw the game as it was broadcast on me-tv.

KN and JT may have done some trash talking or a little extra curricular shoving or may not. I'm not going to say they are angels.

what I will say is that both teams were playing very physical and the refs should have cleaned it up a bit.

one time near the end of the game JP was going up for a layup and was submarined by a Morgan Park player. Luckily the MP player didn't get the right angle as he could have really hurt JP. The MP player was called for he intentional.

Irvin's frustration stems from the wacky end of the game. MP was down by 2 points, and the refs called for TO saying one of the MP players or coaches called it. MP was out of TO's so they were assessed a Tech foul and Simeon got 2 shots and the ball.

JP missed the 2 foul shots but KN hit a jumper with like 12-15 secs to go to put Simeon up by 4.

MP then goes down and scores leaving 4-ish seconds on the clock down by 2. ONe of the MP players tries to get a whistle and the clock stopped by throwing the the ball towards half court.

I guess in IHSA rules the clock is running, Simeon didn't need to inbound, the MP player tossing the ball did not need to result in a whistle to stop the clock.

All in all it's pretty classless to finger and single out a couple of 17-19 year olds, when Irvin's own players weren't exactly acting like choir boys through out the game.

Very disappointed in the adults for letting the game get so heated and sad someone lost their life.

Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:44 AM   #4139
FeelYourPaign
Thanks for the recap, cj
sounds like one craaaazy ending.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:44 AM   #4140
RHITIllini
Don't want to make any assumptions, but at least at the end of the game it looked more like Kendall Pollard doing the jawing than anyone else. At least it was a good thing that they cut away back to the studio immediately after the game ended.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:47 AM   #4141
justsomedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
Could be the beginning to the end of Simeon players playing with Mac Irvin Fire.
That isn't bad for us. Hopefully Coupet goes to Meanstreets.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:54 AM   #4142
RHITIllini
If this is a continuing problem, I don't think CPS has any choice but to start beefing up with some real security. Time to get actual cops, not volunteers in bright jackets.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:01 AM   #4143
cjcastan
If Rob Smith was gloating / taunting / or whatever by jaw jacking at the end, you wish he
would comport himself in a more classy way. Just do the handshake, get his guys in the locker room and then blister the hides of any kids who were talking trash or pushing and shoving.

Considering he's someone that is in the media being associated heavily with U of I, that he would conduct himself in a better manner. Emotions probably got ahold of him but you'd hope from better from the adults.

On the lighter side of things

DVR or VCR ME-TV tonight as the 5'10" and still growing Tyler Ulis and Marian Catholic take on Benet and Sean O'Mara.

From the game last night

KN - looked pretty good. nice athlete, seemed to settle for the long jumper a bit too much. can see the raw tools to be good player are there.

JT - looked at times as the best player on Simeon. great dishes but a couple of times seemed like he just passed to pass as opposed to taking a shot at the cup. very quick, has nice tight handle but could be a little out of control.

I can see why he was so highly rated as a younger player. Great quickness, good handles, willingness to pass to a fault at times. Granted is was one game but I can see that he might get slightly more or as much time off the bench as KN. Since we have only TA to play the point next year. He's very thin though and will most likely struggle with the more physically advanced guards on both end of the floor.

Seems like DePaul got a good one in BG JR as long as his dad is kept on staff. Very nice player.

JP seems to have shaken off a good bit of the ring rust.

Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:13 AM   #4144
Big Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo2 View Post
Anyone remember the Decatur Eisenhower fiasco back in the 90's? Several gang members fighting in the stands full of people at a football game. Five or six were suspended, I would say with just cause, and the NAACP showed up. I mean....seriously? Oh, and Mr. Jesse Jackson was there too to talk about the travesty of prohibiting these kids from getting and education. Demanded that the Holiday Inn kitchen open up at 4 in the morning to cook him a midnight snack. I think they told him to take a long walk off of a short pier.

It was a complete joke.. Gang bangers fighting in the middle of the stands but they were just all innocent bystanders.. Jesse acted like the kids were all mistreated and deserved to better.. Well today all of those involved are either in jail or have been for long periods of time.. It just to bad that the great Rev wasn't put there with them.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:25 AM   #4145
RHITIllini
Is anyone here actually going to watch Ulis so he won't be such an "urban legend" anymore?

Last edited by Dan; Jan 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:31 AM   #4146
cjcastan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHITIllini View Post
Is anyone here actually going to watch Ulis so he won't be such an "urban legend" anymore?
I'll record it as it's on the same time as the IL v NW game.

Last edited by Dan; Jan 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:42 AM   #4147
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo2 View Post
That was at Macarthur High School

My mom taught in Decatur and knew all the kids involved. All of those kids were far from the angels that Jesse Jackson tried to sell us on and had more legal problems after that incident.

Last edited by BrooksTaylorFan; Jan 17, 2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:50 AM   #4148
OrangeAndBlue217
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
That was at Macarthur High School

My mom taught in Decatur and knew all the kids involved. All of those kids were far from the angels that Jesse Jackson tried to sell us on and had more legal problems after that incident.
According to this, it was an Eisenhower game and Esienhower students, but it may have been at Macarthur? Scroll down and you will see it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decatur,_Illinois
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:50 AM   #4149
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG1985 View Post
I am talking about Obi. Not Alexander who is a 5 IMO. We could use a 5 desperately. We don't need a 4 though as far as I can tell.

Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:53 AM   #4150
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
Four star recruit that isn't ranked? He does have offers from IU, Marland, Villanova, etc. Does anyone know his story? Maybe he's about to explode on the scene? Getting us more exposure on the east coast?

I'm glad Groce continues to recruit the 2014 class. You just never know what is going to happen so it's nice to have other options in place.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »