Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:39 AM   #4376
SummerofGeorge
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Prime Prep ends up blowing out Springboro and MM by score of 82-47. MM leading scorer for both teams w/25 pts and 4 reb.
I have to admit that I wasn't crazy about the MM committment. Probably just my lack of exposure in seeing him. He has not WOW'ed me in the limited video clips I have seen. Every time I see an update on him though he is producing huge numbers and it seems to be consistent regardless of the competition. I am wondering what others who have seen him first hand think. Has he improved significantly this year and how does the level of competition compare to Illinois? I can't help but to be impressed with the results so far.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:50 AM   #4377
Illinifn79
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomedude View Post
Just curious, but do you know if Mav performed well throughout the game, or if he padded stats in the second half when the game was over?
He had like 16 by halftime. From everyone i hear from he performed well and it seems to be every game he is performing well. With the score the way it was it would look like there was a chance at padded stats but he really played well.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:09 AM   #4378
illiniguy25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerofGeorge View Post
I have to admit that I wasn't crazy about the MM committment. Probably just my lack of exposure in seeing him. He has not WOW'ed me in the limited video clips I have seen. Every time I see an update on him though he is producing huge numbers and it seems to be consistent regardless of the competition. I am wondering what others who have seen him first hand think. Has he improved significantly this year and how does the level of competition compare to Illinois? I can't help but to be impressed with the results so far.
I myself do not know much about mm but regardless of his skills in high school I am just happy to see some size coming to campus. I am tired of seeing weak down low players get pushed around like rag dolls. If he puts up 8 and 8 as a senior I will be happy bc that would be an improvement. He might not be the caliber of player we expect but role players are just important and after the year he is having I am not convinced that he will be just a role player. You don't need a great center in college basketball to be a great team. In 2005 I am sure there were more highly rated centers but Augustine controlled the paint and played defense.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:39 AM   #4379
cjcastan
BACK TO RECRUITING :laugh:

here's a video I found the youtube of a game of Kevin Zabo's team (he's #1 in blue)

If you search for Wolfeboro Brewster and filter the results you'll find a few games.

Watched a little of this game. I'll be the first to admit it's harder for me to know what to look for in a HS kid with projecting to the next level outside of the immediate things you see (Shooting / Ball handling / speed & athleticism) while some things are a little harder for me to gauge (decision making at the next level - when to shoot / pass, court vision).

Enjoy.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:10 AM   #4380
dacookiemonsta
Banned
"While his Springboro team really struggled against the pressure of Prime Prep, 2013 Rivals150 center Maverick Morgan played an excellent all-around game on the interior. The Illinois signee recorded 23 points, including a dominant first half in which he tallied 16, and also had double figure rebounds. Morgan is a skilled 6-foot-10 big man who has improved his coordination, and thus is much more mobile and able to play with physicality than he was in years past.

The senior showed great touch on his mid-range jumper, and was also able to counter the length of the taller Shepherd by going to turn-around jumpers. Part of a highly regarded Illini signing class, Morgan has the look of a Big Ten post prospect, and should be a very nice player in the coming years in Champaign."

http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1462456

Last edited by Dan; Jan 21, 2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:35 AM   #4381
PeoriaChief
Ok so the above link says double digit rebounds for Mav. I was concerned when I seen only 4 Rebs posted by another someone.bWe don't just need size, we need rebounding. His scoring so far has been extremely impressive (rebounding too) but we need rebounding from Mav even more than scoring.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:38 AM   #4382
Dan
Admin
Welcome to Page 176 of the Hoops Recruiting Thread!

Ok, back to recruiting I wasn't able to monitor this thread much over the weekend, but now please let's let all the previous sub-threads die, back to recruiting Thank you, and Go Illini
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:45 AM   #4383
RHITIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinifn79 View Post
He had like 16 by halftime. From everyone i hear from he performed well and it seems to be every game he is performing well. With the score the way it was it would look like there was a chance at padded stats but he really played well.
Prime Prep is an absolutely LOADED team.

So for MM to do that against them is really positive.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:48 AM   #4384
Illinifn79
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHITIllini View Post

Oh i agree someone asked if it was in mop up minutes when he did all his scoring.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:01 PM   #4385
Illinifn79
Banned
Tate and Nunn are starting on espnu right now
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:09 PM   #4386
nwebb1
Tate looking solid so far, had a few drive and dishes to Jabari for dunks
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:17 PM   #4387
MikeThomas4Prez
Simeon looks much better than their last ESPN game. Playing team ball instead of 1 on 1. Nunn with a nice 3 and then a nice dunk.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:18 PM   #4388
krervin2
Nunn with a steal and tomahawk dunk. Pretty awesome. Also made a nice 3 point shot right before that. I really like his demeanor on the court.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:21 PM   #4389
justsomedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHITIllini View Post

Yes 2013 RSCI #42 is a 6'8" big for them, and they have 2015 Illini recruit Elijah Thomas.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:26 PM   #4390
Burnt orange and blue
Simeon looks much better compared to the last times I've seen them. JP looks like a much different player...better fitness and less weight.

Tate looks very good at pg and an def direct and pass to open man ...not bad D. Nunn is playing composed and with in the system. DJ Wms looks very promising!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:45 PM   #4391
BlockI
Banned
DJ Williams is impressive he has good size and skills. Hopefully we can keep the Simeon tradition going.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:14 PM   #4392
Illinifn79
Banned
Yeah i have always been a big fan of Tate. His defense seems strong as well. Stays in front of his guy well and is constantly moving his feet. Love the pass first mentality he has. Its something Illini have been lacking.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:18 PM   #4393
OrangeAndBlue217
Parker getting it done for Simeon today. Nunn and Tate have been good. I think we are really going to like Tate running our team. Maintains that pass first mentality and can make plays happen.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:27 PM   #4394
MikeThomas4Prez
Nunn with another two big dunks. He's having a very solid game. Apparently he was dealing with health issues, which may be the cause for some not so stellar games earlier this year.

Edit: Nunn finished with 21 pts, 8 reb, 4 ast

Tate 10 pts, 8 ast

Last edited by MikeThomas4Prez; Jan 21, 2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:27 PM   #4395
krervin2
Whoa! Jabari misses a 3 pointer but Nunn crashes the glass and slams down the board. I hope someone posts video of that one. Really impressed with Nunn's play in this game.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:36 PM   #4396
RyanK
Both Tate and Nunn had great games today. The putback by Nunn was awesome.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:38 PM   #4397
cardsillinifan
Tate and Nunn looked very good today. I recently questioned the production of Kendrick Nunn but was very impressed with him today! I hope that they can keep that up when they are wearing orange and blue.

Malcolm Hill had a great last game as well, put up 28 pts. I think his team is 17-2, Reddick is also having a great season for Belleville East. I know that Reddick has gotten a ton of mid majors looking at him. He seems to continue to improve.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:39 PM   #4398
midastouch11
Very glad we locked up Tate when we did. I think this class will be a great addition to the Tracy Abrams and Nnana Egwu foundation already at Illinois. No 1 and done or 2 and done players but someone that will contribute at every position sooner rather than later.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:47 PM   #4399
orange julius
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
Both Tate and Nunn had great games today. The putback by Nunn was awesome.
Really excited about this upcoming class. Adding much needed tenacity, toughness, and skill. The one recruit I have questioned is Tate... as he did not have a very good offer list, and was added after we missed our top target in Jackson. But reports seem to indicate that he will be at worst, a very servicable backup point guard. It also appears that Mav. Morgan has improved greatly this season, and could be a huge steal, as I presume Ohio State could have had him if they had offered.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:05 PM   #4400
midastouch11
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange julius View Post
Really excited about this upcoming class. Adding much needed tenacity, toughness, and skill. The one recruit I have questioned is Tate... as he did not have a very good offer list, and was added after we missed our top target in Jackson. But reports seem to indicate that he will be at worst, a very servicable backup point guard. It also appears that Mav. Morgan has improved greatly this season, and could be a huge steal, as I presume Ohio State could have had him if they had offered.
Speaking of Maverick Morgan. I'm impressed with his sense of team already, knowing when Austin Colbert was eligible to play and making sure to wish him luck on that morning.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »